: Head torque

jholland
11-15-06, 06:07 PM
I picked up head gaskets at the cadillac dealer today and the parts guys didn't know anything about the proper torqueing procedure. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I already did a search on "head torque".

Ranger
11-15-06, 07:35 PM
Per '99 FSM
First pass - 30 ft. lbs
Second pass - 70 degrees
Third pass - 70 degrees
Final pass - 60 degrees

jholland
11-16-06, 08:05 AM
Thanks. One other question. I didn't remove the intermediate timing gear. I am on top dead center but the intermediate gear is not lined up. I understand it can take 7 turns to get alignment. I don't have a good tool to turn the engine and would like to know if the intermediate gear matters or am I OK as long as the cams are set properly.

Ranger
11-16-06, 06:29 PM
Not sure but I would think you need them all lined up properly. Don't want to have to go back and do it again.

nigelb
11-17-06, 04:02 AM
do you not have a FSM?
surely you're not replacing N* head gaskets without a book to refer to?

chevelle
11-17-06, 02:01 PM
Thanks. One other question. I didn't remove the intermediate timing gear. I am on top dead center but the intermediate gear is not lined up. I understand it can take 7 turns to get alignment. I don't have a good tool to turn the engine and would like to know if the intermediate gear matters or am I OK as long as the cams are set properly.

Theoretically, as long as you are at TDC the orientation of the intermediate sprocket wouldn't matter as long as you get the cam sprockets timed correctly.

It is much easier, at this point, though, to just remove the bolt from the intermediate sprocket, remove it, reset the timing marks so that they line up with the crank sprocket and then reinstall the bolt. This way you don't have to turn the engine over repeatedly and you KNOW the timing is correct based on all the marks being in place.

The crank mark should be at 12:00 and the intermediate sprocket at 6:00 immediately opposite it if everything is right. Remember that number one is the forward right hand cylinder on the Northstar (the forward cylinder closest to the firewall in the car). Each of the cam sprockets would then be at 12:00 relative to the cam cover sealing surface if the cams are installed correctly.

jholland
11-20-06, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the help. I must of gotten it right. It started and ran fine. What's a FSM?

Ranger
11-20-06, 04:34 PM
FSM = Factory Service Manual aka "The Bible".

jholland
11-22-06, 07:49 AM
The parts guy at the dealership was nice enough to give me one, two actually.