: I think I accidently won the nerd awards...

eldorado99
11-15-06, 05:46 PM
Well I just got home from school after fighting terrible traffic; there's a big storm rolling through here and it's knocking down trees and power is out everywhere. Every intersection was backed up and many roads were closed, so it took me an hour to get home instead of the usual 20 minutes.

Anyway I have nothing to do for the rest of the day now that the power is out. Naturally when I have nothing to do I tend to gravitate towards my computer, and then kick myself because the power is off (Duh?). I just rigged up a car battery to a power inverter, so now my ADSL modem and laptop are running off a car battery sitting on the floor here... I feel really nerdy. I should go play football or something.

xxpinballxx
11-15-06, 06:01 PM
you say nerdy I say CRAFTY!
Points for the inventiveness!

urbanski
11-15-06, 06:07 PM
Aahahha

kellidahorsegirl
11-15-06, 06:10 PM
Yeah, you're cool :p
We have a thing you plug into the cigarette lighter and it is a power source for a computer.........
What is life without computers.......well, BORING!

CadillacGurl
11-15-06, 06:13 PM
Yeah, you're cool :p
We have a thing you plug into the cigarette lighter and it is a power source for a computer.........
What is life without computers.......well, BORING!

Yes this is true. I was going nuts last night since the lightning killed the dsl/phone line and I had to hack into this guys wireless internet. He kept kicking me off which made me even more pist so I gave up.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-15-06, 06:25 PM
Yes this is true. I was going nuts last night since the lightning killed the dsl/phone line and I had to hack into this guys wireless internet. He kept kicking me off which made me even more pist so I gave up.

thats funny, i do that from work all the time

whats funnier is he kept kicking you off instead of just requiring a password for access

wait, by ha><ing into his network do you mean he DID have it password protected and you got in anyways?

codewize
11-15-06, 07:23 PM
I just had to replace my UPS. I switched brands and am very pleased with my purchase. I think I can keep my entire network up for 30 minutes without power.

One of my plans is a propane generator to power the whole house with auto cut over and all that crap. Not in the budget yet but within the next year or so.

The car battery with inverter is a fine idea, although it's not 'clean' power so don't keep the computer equipment on it for long periods of time.

eldorado99
11-15-06, 09:22 PM
The car battery with inverter is a fine idea, although it's not 'clean' power so don't keep the computer equipment on it for long periods of time.

That's true, though with the laptop battery as a buffer I think the only real risk is to the modem, the AC adapters for laptops seem to be fairly robust. Of course now the laptop is going to die and prove me wrong... ;)

caddycruiser
11-15-06, 10:28 PM
Haha, wow, that's great. You should be in engineering or design of some sort with tendencies like that:thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 10:40 PM
i got me a ups , ground , even a trackin number ....i tell ya , im gettin the hang of this here puter stuff ....

well , back out front i go , my model car should be here in the next 72 hours ....too bad that ups stuff aint faster

eldorado99
11-15-06, 11:33 PM
Haha, wow, that's great. You should be in engineering or design of some sort with tendencies like that:thumbsup:

Thanks :). I thought about engineering when I was choosing courses for my first year, it usually the math thats turns me off. It was like my brain reached a certain level with math and then decided that was all it could take.

What model car are you waiting for Stoney?

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 11:36 PM
1968 Lotus Indy 500 Turbine all 140 bucks of it ....glad i paid for it months ago when i preordered

Math sucks , i had to take 2 classes each semster for 2 years to get most of mine done , then my brain sploaded , frontal cortex everywhere ...

codewize
11-15-06, 11:43 PM
No that's cool. The laptop brick will protect the laptop from that.

Stony; that's pretty funny. Tracking number ROFL

That's true, though with the laptop battery as a buffer I think the only real risk is to the modem, the AC adapters for laptops seem to be fairly robust. Of course now the laptop is going to die and prove me wrong... ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 11:45 PM
http://www.glengery.com/images/why/brick_hand.jpg

i got those too !!!

sorry couldnt resist

eldorado99
11-15-06, 11:46 PM
1968 Lotus Indy 500 Turbine all 140 bucks of it ....glad i paid for it months ago when i preordered

Math sucks , i had to take 2 classes each semster for 2 years to get most of mine done , then my brain sploaded , frontal cortex everywhere ...

Awesome, I've been thinking about expanding my die-cast collection too. Yours is awe-inspiring I rememeber it from when you last posted pics of it. Mine is pretty limited still, I want to expand the Caddy portion of it first, naturally. All I have right now is a 1959 Eldorado, 1966 Jaguar E-type, 1966 Jaguar Mark II, 1981 Porsche 911 turbo, 1952 Volkswagon Bug, 1958 Mercedes-Benz 190SL Roadster. I want to add an Escalade next I think, but I havn't bought any for probably 8-10 years.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 11:55 PM
got pics of the jag ?

JRau
11-16-06, 12:00 AM
[QUOTE=eldorado99;868518]Well I just got home from school after fighting terrible traffic; there's a big storm rolling through here and it's knocking down trees and power is out everywhere. Every intersection was backed up and many roads were closed, so it took me an hour to get home instead of the usual 20 minutes.

Gosh, I am so NOT looking forward to winter. How do you Canadians put up with it like you do? I wouldn't want to live any farther north than I do. Central Iowa has as much winter weather as I can stand.

At least you could goof off on these forums....

JRau in central Iowa

eldorado99
11-16-06, 12:05 AM
got pics of the jag ? Which one?

Jrau: luckily I live in probably the most mild part of Canada. It is a very localized region where we might see a total of one foot of snow in the Winter, and thats over a period of two months. Of course we have our freak snowstorms occaisionally but most years are pretty mild. The wind is the worst thing we get generally.

JRau
11-16-06, 12:17 AM
Which one?

Jrau: luckily I live in probably the most mild part of Canada. It is a very localized region where we might see a total of one foot of snow in the Winter, and thats over a period of two months. Of course we have our freak snowstorms occaisionally but most years are pretty mild. The wind is the worst thing we get generally.

Yeah, I don't enjoy the piercing high winds in the winter either. That's one thing I've had to get use to out in the midwest. We didn't have alot of wind in Maryland and Connecticut when I lived out there.

JRau in central Iowa

dp102288
11-16-06, 10:50 AM
That cool, not neardy. Necessity is the mother of invention or some shit like that right?

I just would have gone to sleep. I am always lazy.

TagApl4
11-16-06, 11:05 AM
thats some real injunity. I would have sat around and got high and drunk... Does that make me an addict?

dp102288
11-18-06, 09:13 PM
I would say yes, but thats a good way to pass time anyways! :histeric: