: weird electrical problem - any ideas?

candyuniverse
11-15-06, 04:18 PM
Hi, All! My 2001 Catera Sport has developed an odd problem in the past couple of days, and I thought I'd see what y'all think. Got in Monday night, with no history of problems, and while it started normally, when I put it in drive, the TCS and ABS warning lights came on. Then the Check Engine light came on. I stopped, took it out of gear, and then restarted. Now all the above lights are on, and the speedometer and odometer aren't working either. I pulled back in my parking place, and everything goes back to normal except the check engine light. Tuesday, no warning lights, everything working fine. The dealership can't see me until Thursday, and they assured me it's okay to drive. This has happened randomly ever since. The car's only got 57k miles, and I have a feeling I am going to be some glad about that extended warranty.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

contourbs
11-15-06, 06:23 PM
you need your abs module replaced

bK caddy
11-15-06, 09:16 PM
so the abs module would mess up the hole thing?

candyuniverse
11-25-06, 10:38 PM
It turned out to be the EBCM module with code U-2108. The cost for the parts alone, for the warranty company, was $1083, plus labor.

I also found another interesting problem with this, in that some of the wiring in the engine compartment had been chewed by some sort of vermin; squirrels or mice or something. The car is driven every day, and it was the dealership's opinion that they were sleeping in the engine compartment in search of warmth. At their suggestion, I am taping rodent poison packs on the battery housing and under the bumper.

Thanks for the assistance!