: Ligtning Struck My House!

CadillacGurl
11-15-06, 02:27 PM
On Friday there was a bad storm and lightning struck the side of my house in Downers Grove. It went through the gutter and hit the sprinkler system box and our phone line. All of the sprinkler system boxes blew up and the wires are fried. Pictures below. Anybody else had their houses struck by lightning or anything???

urbanski
11-15-06, 02:28 PM
that wont be cheap to fix :(

90Brougham350
11-15-06, 02:29 PM
Whoa! That's some crazy stuff there. Glad no one was hurt. Makes you think twice about being on the phone in a T-storm.

EcSTSatic
11-15-06, 02:33 PM
Wow! Impressive!
One of our elm trees was struck one year. It split the bark. No other damage. Not even to the garage 2 feet away. We eventually had to take the tree down.

This has always been a concern for us sailors. Getting caught in the middle of the water duirng a lightning storm with a 30-40 foot aluminum mast sticking straight up. :eek:

TagApl4
11-15-06, 02:39 PM
Wow i always though my grand was just parinoid about that dont talk on the phone during lightning storms. But your phone line was hit. "Consider this myth busted"

CadillacGurl
11-15-06, 02:41 PM
Yeah we have DSL that runs through the phone line so I wasn't able to get online last night. I had to keep hacking into this guy's wireless system but he kept blocking me out... got quite annoying so I gave up. They came and fixed the phone and DSL this morning so I'm happy about that...

To fix the sprinkler system its going to be about $1,000

EcSTSatic
11-15-06, 02:54 PM
To fix the sprinkler system its going to be about $1,000

Got insurance? Have you checked all of your electrical gear? Could be all sorts of problems. I hope you have surge protectors on the expensive stuff.

RobertCTS
11-15-06, 03:01 PM
I'm surprised at the damage to the sprinkler system as most of it is non-conductive plastic. you sure it was lightning and not a terrorist.

Spyder
11-15-06, 03:03 PM
Wow...that sucks, but its kinda cool at the same time...

Elvis
11-15-06, 03:36 PM
That happened at my office. Lightning struck a tree that was 30' from the front door. The current went down the tree, into the ground where it hit the sprinkler system lines, then traveled about 120' underground through the flower beds to the back of the building, then BLASTED the control panel off of the wall inside.

Exactly what your picture shows. My sprinkler man told me he's even seen a car windshield blown out by a sprinkler system control box that was hit by lightning.

It happens all the time.

codewize
11-15-06, 03:43 PM
Ok I have a story on this. I used to work at the local cable company who at the time was just offering dial up for the 2nd year, was selling dedicated circuits such as T-1 and was just launching cable modems. So there were 3 buildings on campus.

We were coming home from bowling one night and drove past the office when we noticed a bunch of commotion outside. Come to find out lightning had hit a tree between the main building and the online building. The lighting went underground into the data cables and raced through the entire network taking the entire business off line. The cable TV service is obviously run out of the head end so that stayed intact

We had no customer service system and no data services at all. The fun part of the story was that when I walked in the room there were literally chunks of controller chips off of modems all over the floor. Everything connected to the network was fried, with the exception of about 2 PC's, including a 2 day old $100,000 phone system.

The fabulous news and the part to be proud of is that in less than 48hrs we some how managed to replace all of the equipment and be fully operational.

CadillacGurl
11-15-06, 04:56 PM
Got insurance? Have you checked all of your electrical gear? Could be all sorts of problems. I hope you have surge protectors on the expensive stuff.

My parent's have home owners insurance so that should help some of it... its sad because the house isn't even a year old and we barely live in it... my mom comes back every month to check on it and I normally come out to check on it as well, nothing but a 40 minute train ride for me, 7 hour drive for her

xxpinballxx
11-15-06, 05:15 PM
Happened to my aunt and uncle in TN. They had to replace 7 TV.'s the service into the house had to be redone and the microwave actually blew up! Not just shorted out...it was running and it blew off the wall and acroos the room. also blowing a hole in the drywall......

CadillacGurl
11-15-06, 10:01 PM
Wow... thats insane
I thought my story was an odd one, turns out its happened to other people before

Boombotz
11-15-06, 10:17 PM
Depends where you live. Here in Fl. Its a daily occurrence in the summer with our afternoon thunderstorm. I used to be a GM for a big electrical company here in Fl. We would see all kinds of lightning or heavy power surge damage.
I used to tell customers even my house has been hit by lightning and damages a lot of electronics. Even I couldn't protect myself from it. If you take a direct hit it doesn't matter what surge protector you have installed there will be damage. Good luck.

JRau
11-16-06, 12:26 AM
cadillacETC1997sgurl: Downer's Grove is near Philly, isn't it? Sorry about your house. At least no one got hurt. Is WMMR still rockin' out there in Philly? Loved that station as I'd drive to the Jersey shore. I SO miss the beach, water, and the seafood of the East Coast... Oh well, some day I'll go back.

JRau in central Iowa

CadillacGurl
11-16-06, 12:30 AM
Downers Grove is in Illinois haha
Its about 45 minutes-1 hour drive from Chicago

In PA I live in a town called Gibsonia which is right near Cheswick (place where I normally stay when I fly in to be with Jason)
Both are about 20-25 minutes from Pittsburgh

Stoneage_Caddy
11-16-06, 12:49 AM
just got hit by ligntning real close here just a bit ago ....then i heard a "whap whap whap" and then a boom with a slide ....I look out and my american flag was out there (bad stoney leaving it out after dark) and the trash was takin a damn joyride up the street so i went out and got everything moved the trash to the garage , the flag is inside getting nice and warm and dry ....

oh now we got a tornado warning ....expalins all the wind

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 12:55 AM
damn what the hell is up, am i the only one not experiencing storms?

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 12:58 AM
o so for my story, not really mine but anyways

my uncle has always wanted a 1963 chevrolet impala, as long as ive known him

well when he moved to NC he worked and worked andfinally found a perfect example, 1963 impala convertible with great paint great interior and ran awesomely, he drove it around for about 2 weeks and then hurricane fran hit, when we came out after the storm, he found a huge tree down the middle of his car, his other car was parked besides it and so was his workvan, but it only got the impala.

wat a sad sad day it was

Stoneage_Caddy
11-16-06, 12:59 AM
o so for my story, not really mine but anyways

my uncle has always wanted a 1963 chevrolet impala, as long as ive known him

well when he moved to NC he worked and worked andfinally found a perfect example, 1963 impala convertible with great paint great interior and ran awesomely, he drove it around for about 2 weeks and then hurricane fran hit, when we came out after the storm, he found a huge tree down the middle of his car, his other car was parked besides it and so was his workvan, but it only got the impala.

wat a sad sad day it was

SUCKAGE !!!!
brutal ....damn brutal

JRau
11-16-06, 07:36 AM
Downers Grove is in Illinois haha
Its about 45 minutes-1 hour drive from Chicago

In PA I live in a town called Gibsonia which is right near Cheswick (place where I normally stay when I fly in to be with Jason)
Both are about 20-25 minutes from Pittsburgh

Hey, it was late, I was wiped out... Should've looked at the atlas first. Oh well. BTW, good luck with your new job. :)

JRau in central Iowa

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 09:58 AM
damn what the hell is up, am i the only one not experiencing storms?

dammit i jinxed myself, i woke up this morning to heavy heavy rains and a tornado warning in effect till 3 pm for the whole eastern north carolina

i shoulda kept my mouth shut

(or my keyboard keys unpressed i should say)

Elvis
11-16-06, 10:08 AM
They say that when your house gets struck by lightning, half of your appliances die that day, and the other half will go over the course of the next six months.

dp102288
11-16-06, 11:03 AM
Glad your okay! That's why people need properly grounded lightning poles!

EcSTSatic
11-16-06, 02:37 PM
dammit i jinxed myself, i woke up this morning to heavy heavy rains and a tornado warning in effect till 3 pm for the whole eastern north carolina

i shoulda kept my mouth shut

(or my keyboard keys unpressed i should say)

I saw that in the news. They say there are at least 10 fatalities already!
-from tornado alley

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 02:50 PM
I saw that in the news. They say there are at least 10 fatalities already!
-from tornado alley

10 fatalities
in norf carolna?

EcSTSatic
11-16-06, 03:00 PM
10 fatalities
in norf carolna?

Yep. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229901,00.html

CadillacGurl
11-16-06, 03:12 PM
Hey, it was late, I was wiped out... Should've looked at the atlas first. Oh well. BTW, good luck with your new job. :)

JRau in central Iowa

My new job??? I'm confuzzled:confused:

OffThaHorseCEO
11-16-06, 03:17 PM
hot damn your right

that sucks

its calm now tho, which kinda makes me mad cause now ill be swamped here at work

gothicaleigh
11-16-06, 08:09 PM
A few years ago we had lightning strike the house too. Fried a bunch of minor electronics, the phones, and my $8k home theater system. One of the powered subwoofers had burned a hole in the carpet beneath it.

dp102288
11-18-06, 09:21 PM
^^ damn. in this type of situation, do surge protectors help? Or is it something else that does the damage to electronics.