: How to install LED tails on your Non LED caddy

Stoneage_Caddy
11-14-06, 09:30 PM
How to install LED tails on your Non LED caddy

What you need (94-96 devilles ,possibly others)
Flasher Unit , Grote Industrys Part Number 44893
6 3rd Brake light Assemblys from 98+ Chevy Astro, Chevy Blazer or GMC equivalents
Butt Coneectors for 14 AWG wire
1 pack female connectors for 14 awg wire
1 Pack Male
3 colors of 14 AWG wire (yellow brown black)
1 pair Wire Strippers
One pair of “Side cutters”
Electrical Tape
Wire Ties (zip ties)
1 Sheet of Smoked Lexan from Home depot (This is optional also have a dremel handy if your gonan do it)
Multi Meter (volt meter)
Masking Tape
Marker

First , turn the key to run , and remove the lower dash below the steering wheel. Turn your left blinker on and find the flasher unit in there. Remove it. Your new Flasher will not simply plug in there. You need to make a pig tail to adapt your new flasher to the old connector. Simply do one wire at a time till all 3 wires are connected to the new flasher. It gets tricky here. Youll need to swap 2 of the wires. Position the flasher so one pin is up top and 2 pins are that the sides. These side pins are the wires that need swapped. Test your blinker again. It should work.

As for your hazard lights , im working on a beatter soulution to this issue , right now I have the old flasher , wired to a 6 ohm 50 watt resistor with a switch between the resistor and ground. Its ugly but its working. Im working on finding another electronic flasher that will work. Im gonna test what another grote 44893 does in there.

Grab your Astro Brakelight assemblys , tug on the side that has the wires coming out of it , the board should come out with that end cap. Then snip the wires so they will pass out of the end cap. Take a moment to test them to make sure they work.

Now , find a TORX bit driver that will remove the screw that holds your taillight assembly in the back.

Remove the screw completely then remove the taillight assembly , don’t forget to remove the sockets and bulbs from the fixture. Be careful with the small fiber optic wire that goes into the fixture near the top socket.

Set that Fixture aside (well have fun with it later)

With your turn signal now back on probe the wires with your meter to see what they do , Find the one that blinks and mark it “turn” with your masking tape. Now turn your headlights on and your blinker off , mark which one has a steady volts to it. The one that didn’t do a damn thing is your ground , mark it too.

Grab the fixture, Carefully bend the tabs that hold the lense to the fixture. And gently pry it off , its also heald with adheasive so be careful and use a couple screwdrivers to hold it open as you work the lense off the fixture.

Now that you have the lense off it’s the optional stuff time. Grab a piece of cardboard and trim it so it will fit into the chrome trim of the fixture flushly so it looks like a lense. Use this to cut out your Lexan. It will take some time to get them to fit the fixture nicely , once your there run a thin bead of adheasive around the chrome trim piece where the lense meets it and gently put it together.

Snip all the wires off the connector you probed and marked the wires on (if you haven’t already ), Remove all blubs from sockets and re install the blank sockets into the fixture , if you need to make extentions for the wires so they will pass thru the hole for the socket you amputated.

Grab 3 of your Astro Brake boards and your wire, butt conectors and tools.

Each will have a yellow and black wire. ALL the lights need there black wires tapped to your ground that you have found. So make those connections first. Now , take your #2 brake lamp board which should be the center one if you have them laying side by side and wire its yellow to the wire you marked that came on with your headlamps. The other two yellow wires you have left need to be wired to the one you marked “turn”. Dress everything up making sure to cover those butt connectors you used in electrical tape. Now find a piece of flat plastic just wide enough for all the boards to be fastend to that will still fit inside the fixture. Attach the board to the plastic however you wish. I used some zip ties at the top and bottom. Trim the ends of the board if you need to make them fit into the fixture. Set the plastic and boards into the fixture and test everything to make sure it works. Now fasten your chrome trim with the lexan glues into it to the car just like it came off …..

Your done with one side ….now go do the other ….

This is a “how to” please use common sense , and dont hold me liable if you torch your car. Don’t attempt it unless you have some experience with automotive electrical and doing thing mechanical in general. I might have made an error somewhere in here , I did this from memeory because I did this 4 months ago.

DaveSmed
11-15-06, 05:17 PM
I'm assuming you used the smoked lexan? Got any after pics? Sounds pretty sweet, glad it worked out.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 05:24 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/DSC01733132.jpg

Boombotz
11-15-06, 07:56 PM
I've seen it in person. It looks awesome. Very impressive.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-15-06, 10:01 PM
Thankx dude ....Means a bit ...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/DSC01734v2.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b102/stoneage_caddy/DSC01735.jpg

dp102288
11-16-06, 09:43 AM
Nice lights, and you have the CF sticker! Very cool.

DaveSmed
11-16-06, 02:14 PM
Thats frickin sweet, came out really nice!

89fatb
11-24-06, 10:16 PM
just curious, how did you get the sticker?:confused:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-25-06, 04:50 PM
http://www.misterdecal.com/

dp102288
11-26-06, 09:09 AM
^^ Good link.

N0DIH
12-03-06, 02:08 AM
Actually, I did just pick up about 4 feet of it off the side of the interstate last week. 1/4" thick, not sure if smoked or black. Hard to tell, if smoked, very very dark.

If anyone needs some, stop by! It is curved, I don't know if you can straighten.

I'm assuming you used the smoked lexan? Got any after pics? Sounds pretty sweet, glad it worked out.

DaveSmed
02-05-07, 05:44 PM
I'll be dammed..... Saw this conversion on the road today. Older Brougham though (no one makes LED tails for those I believe, and it was the same design you had... right legnth LED clusters and all) I thought that was friggin sweet to see it in action in the wild so to speak. Anyone that posts here? 6am-ish on I95 southbound by Penns Landing?

Stoneage_Caddy
02-06-07, 12:53 AM
I'll be dammed..... Saw this conversion on the road today. Older Brougham though (no one makes LED tails for those I believe, and it was the same design you had... right legnth LED clusters and all) I thought that was friggin sweet to see it in action in the wild so to speak. Anyone that posts here? 6am-ish on I95 southbound by Penns Landing?

AWESOME THE IDEA LIVES !!!!!!

this is great , wonder if it came from me and here ....

mortis08
02-06-07, 09:02 PM
I dont mean to be a killjoy, but legally dont you have to have a red reflector facing rear?:tisk: BTW that looks awesome!!:thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
02-07-07, 06:09 PM
acutally it does have reflectors in it there in there now but im not sure if i had them in when i took the pics , i put them in a week after the install (had to find sutable reflectors for what i was doing

DaveSmed
02-10-07, 09:30 PM
Shame I was in a bit of a hurry, I was thinking about flagging him down and and asking him about them. Two strips per side, and they really looked close to the legnth of the astro 3rd brake light strips. They were smoked too.

k63d400
04-20-07, 11:40 AM
They now have a pre-manufactured direct replacement for the older caddy's.
94-99 Deville
http://www.customclassic.com/products/lights/94caddylights.htm

89-93 also available from them