: 1994 Fleetwood brougham.

Hammondsix
11-14-06, 07:00 PM
126000 miles, full service history, 3rd owner. paid 3000 dollars

The ride is smooth but, the chassy is soft and road bumps are pretty noticable. Power is more than adequate. Interior is holding up well but the materials used are hardly exotic. Its not a cheap car to run unless you do your work yourself (and even so there are less service hungry cars out there). In the service history i can see that numerous oil leaks have been repaired at the dealer, 1 waterpump 2 distributors and some other things were fixed tottaling 2500,- and 1900,- at the dealer. MPG is 20.4 mixed, topspeed 108mph. I spent an entire weekend servicing the car basically going through the entire thing and R/R what i found needing attention. here is what i did...

radiator
all hoses
waterpump
t-stat
plugs
wires
all filters
tranny fluid (complete drain)
u-joints
diff fluid (amsoil)
E-oil (M1 10w30)
pcv
egr
battery
fixed A/C drain leak

All this was expensive and time consuming (imagine what a shop would have charged) but is normal for a car that age. I still have a few gremlins to sort out but all in all a fun car to be around. I beleive this car is best suited for people that find enjoyment in doing their own work.

All in all i love this car. I cant really explain why, its an emotional thing i guess.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-06, 09:36 PM
Love that color! Carmine red/ tan I assume.

90Brougham350
11-14-06, 11:36 PM
Very nice! Is the rear-end sitting a little low?

dp102288
11-15-06, 07:23 AM
:yeah: about the rear end...

But man its a beautiful car. For $3,000 its a steal! :thumbsup:

Hammondsix
11-15-06, 09:42 AM
Thank you so much for the kind words. The interior is plum.

i dont think the rear end is low, i think the picture is weird, ill take some more and you guys can tell me what you think...

caddycruiser
12-05-06, 03:21 PM
Just noticed this review, and you sound EXACTLY like me.

I don't think it's perfect--far from it--and isn't as good as it should be in some levels (body/frame integrity and overall refinement), but I have more of an emotional fixation to these cars than just about anything else.

And as far as repairs, compared to most other vehicles, these are pretty basic, so I don't think things are that expensive--just typical, and usually not frequent if they're maintained. I'm nearing the one year anniversary with my '95, and it still needs a few small things worked out, but all relatively minor. Same with our '93 that we've had for 3.5 years.

96Fleetwood
12-05-06, 06:10 PM
Nice review!

I love being able to travel long distances without any worry. I carry a toolbox in the trunk just in case.. and the nice thing is if anything does break, parts are cheap and I can fix it myself with my FSM! :cool2:

bigbluebrougham
01-05-07, 02:51 PM
AGREED! All of the above is how I feel, though still a novice at owning one; owned my 95 Dark Adriatic Blue FWB since 11-01-06. I am agreeing with all comments. Easy to work on and a little expensive, not bad, but certainly cheaper and easier to work on compared to say, a Northstar car. My friend is a mechanic and has said that the Northstar vehicles require a lot of specialty tools to work on, whereas an LT1 is basically a standard 350 smallblock...with some nice refinements (I like the reverse flow cooling for the higher compression ratios) of course! I could go on and on about the car, but in the end it is the passion for the car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-05-07, 08:16 PM
Simple and reliable!

BCs71
01-31-07, 01:50 PM
I agree on most counts in the initial post. The FWB is a great car in stock form and has many good things going for it. But I think that period in the GM world it was not given proper attention to detail like it deserved considering it was a $40K domestic car. The main issues for me lie in the interior lacking much. The main demographic was elderly people, so the gauge panel was beyond simple. Blech. I like info. This alone tells me the car was not intended for people who do their own work, but instead for elderly folks who take theirs to the dealer often.

The interior is ok, but not spectacular like you would expect (I agree on this point). Seats are semi-comfortable, the lumbar really helps here otherwise I would have ditched my stock seats for something else long ago. The leather is fairly durable, but my driver's seat cushion is pretty compressed and lacking. Back seat gets kudos from me, however.
SOme minor squeaks in the cabin (doesn't bug me much) but a tad too much plasticity for me considering the big price tag when new.

The heat in the wintertime is annoying since it can't be directed out out the dash vents. AC in the summer can only come out of the dash vents. This gets old quick.

I have the FE1 suspension and it is pretty sloppy for my tastes (although I like performance above all else, so take that with a grain of salt). Leans too much in corners and knowing how wacky and weak the rear suspension is, it is undersized and underqualified to handle a big 4500lb car. But then again, gotta consider the demographics. Most elderly don't throw the car hard into corners while accelerating.

Luckily for me there are great aftermarket parts for the car. It is long, mean, and great looking from the factory with a wonderful drivetrain to make a good solid base. Performance parts allow the owner to tailor the car to their tastes.

The interior is the only part of a FWB that is hard to rectify.

Steeltag
04-06-08, 02:24 PM
BCs71,

Thanks for this info, it helps me in my search for another Caddy. I appreciated your forthright thoughts!