: A car that parallel parks BY ITSELF

Elvis
11-14-06, 04:35 PM
I just heard about this today. Un-freaking-believable.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/features/exterior/advanced_parking_guidance_system.html?demo=ls_park ing&s_ocid=30019

I'm not impressed enough to buy one, not that I could afford it anyway...

CIWS
11-14-06, 04:57 PM
I can't tell you the last time I had to parallel park. For me that selling point holds no real value. But I do remember them announcing this about the upcoming model. :)

gothicaleigh
11-14-06, 05:03 PM
I can't find the really cool commercial I've seen for this, so here's what I did find: :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q9d--Jb1I0

CIWS
11-14-06, 05:06 PM
I can't find the really cool commercial I've seen for this, so here's what I did find: :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q9d--Jb1I0

Actual video ? Looks like it still needed some minor hands on tweak at the end.

JdEb9RDMHm0&NR

gothicaleigh
11-14-06, 05:10 PM
Looks like it takes too long to mark out that green square and too long for the car to move into the space...

I'm impressed by the technology, but it's kind of like the voice-command features in my CTS. By the time it computes what you're saying, it's easier to just reach over and hit the frellin' button...

gothicaleigh
11-14-06, 05:13 PM
...and while I'm ranting about the LS: When did Lexus hire Chris Bangle to do design? More than a coincidental resemblance to the new BMWs (kind of like a watered-down bimmer; Then again, I guess that's what Lexus always has been though...).

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 05:24 PM
Where have u been Elvis, this has been out for months:D. But I am very impressed with the new LS. I personally like the style, it doesn't offend nor does it make you salivate. And the interior is better than a new $400,000 Maybach 62.

Rey Rey 650
11-14-06, 05:39 PM
I can't tell you the last time I had to parallel park. For me that selling point holds no real value. But I do remember them announcing this about the upcoming model. :)

Lucky man...Out here in San Francisco/bay area we parallel all day every day.... Some of the best parallel parkers come from the City:alchi:

90Brougham350
11-14-06, 05:40 PM
Some woman somewhere will still find a way to mess up parallel parking with this.

AlBundy
11-14-06, 05:48 PM
Great technology but what are we gonna do when computers start driving for us. What 're we gonna talk about. "My CTS-V computer kick your SRT-8s computer's a$$ at the track".

LittleB
11-14-06, 05:51 PM
When I saw that commercial I went to their website because I just couldn't believe it. Now knowing how it works, I'd rather just do it myself. You have to use the navigation screen to target where you want the car to ultimately end up, and you still have to use the break to guide the car. Now if it did it all on it's own, that was be amazing.

RightTurn
11-14-06, 07:08 PM
Some woman somewhere will still find a way to mess up parallel parking with this.

Not as long as I'm drivin' my CTS. :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-06, 10:10 PM
Amazing technology no doubt.

Kev
11-14-06, 11:21 PM
Yes, but will it do my taxes at the end of the year?!! :cynic:

DopeStar 156
11-15-06, 12:22 AM
It's all cool until one of the sensors goes, it forgets how to turn left, hops the curb and runs someone over going 10 mph. then rolls through a store front hitting three more people.

Go Lexus.....

OffThaHorseCEO
11-15-06, 01:10 AM
It's all cool until one of the sensors goes, it forgets how to turn left, hops the curb and runs someone over going 10 mph. then rolls through a store front hitting three more people.

Go Lexus.....

lmao:crybaby:

LittleB
11-15-06, 01:13 AM

Go Lexus.....

Good point!

dp102288
11-15-06, 09:15 AM
Dope's post...:rofl:

Looks cool, but I am not sure I would trust it. The vid CIWS posted showed that the LS got too damn close to the car behind it. :tisk:

DopeStar 156
11-15-06, 10:04 AM
Good point!

You know it's bound to happen in the next two or three years. Shit breaks people, sometimes important shit. Cars shouldn't drive themselves, anything with less control than Cruise Control shouldn't be.....

P-Funk
11-15-06, 10:14 AM
Cars shouldn't drive themselves, anything with less control than Cruise Control shouldn't be.....

:yeah:

Jesda
11-15-06, 10:45 AM
As technology, cool. As a car, who gives a crap.

DopeStar 156
11-15-06, 12:22 PM
It's only a matter of time before we start seeing this......

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_brothers/terminator_3__rise_of_the_machines/robots.jpg

ewill3rd
11-15-06, 12:32 PM
How long until someone doesn't set the green box up right and starts ripping the sides off their expensive car? Who pays for that?
Does it parallel park on the left too (for one way streets)?
Most of all... who cares?
I mean of all the automated features I need on a car... parallel parking?

How about something useful like a car that automatically pulls up to the gas pump on the right side so the hose can reach? :D

dp102288
11-16-06, 09:28 AM
Speaking of that, I wish my car's tank door was on the right. 95% of all the cars have it on the left, and that makes me have to wait. The few cars that have it on the right just breeze through. Damn!!!

We should go back to old times...the door should be under the trunk! That way you could go on either side of the pump!

Wait till I start my car company...

Benzilla
11-16-06, 10:04 PM
We should go back to old times...the door should be under the trunk! That way you could go on either side of the pump!

HAHA! I'm living your dream :D Get an old school and you'll be set.

Florian
11-16-06, 10:10 PM
this should be mandatory for every female driven car.

F

dp102288
11-18-06, 08:30 PM
Benzilla, I should! Lucky you! :D

F...:yeah: :rofl: