: Daughter wants a Jetta

Davidstan
11-14-06, 01:22 PM
What do you all think of the Jetta overall and specifically the 2007. Wanted to go domestic but she is persuasive. Any Jetta owners out there?

LittleB
11-14-06, 01:26 PM
My mom owns a Passat....nice car. The Jetta is a step down from that though, I remember the Jetta feeling much cheaper inside. I haven't seen the 2007's though so I dunno. OK this post doesn't help you one bit, sorry LOL.

railven
11-14-06, 01:39 PM
Audi's are Luxury VW, and I believe the A4 is close to the Jetta. My friend drives an 05 A4 and its nice. I gave his German friends some probs but me being 6'2" the car feels super cramp. When I sat in the driver's seat I felt a bit nervous, I got claustrophobia.

He drives like a maniac and with his skills the car is very responsive and doesn't have that weight-pulling effect my STS has even though they both weigh 4,000+lbs.

His dash has features my STS has in terms of monitoring stuff so thats cool. I still think the car feels a bit cheap compared to my STS but I think I'm biased.

I'm not sure if this helps you at all.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 01:46 PM
I like them...I know in the past they had their share of problems but I think overall I wouldn't mind having one.
I really like the chrome front piece too. I know alot of people think its ugly or too much but i like the way it looks....never drove a newer one but I am sure they are just as smooth as the older ones i have driven.

Rey Rey 650
11-14-06, 01:49 PM
I had a 97 Jetta GLX VR6 and it was in the shop everday all day....Worst car ive ever owned

Krashed989
11-14-06, 01:56 PM
A while ago I was thinking about getting a diesel jetta, just because they get about 50mpg... That's about as much as I know about them... LOL

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 01:58 PM
yeah I heard that about the later 90's jettas.
my wifes friend has a 2002 and said she's had hardly any issues
other than normal stuff.

Davidstan
11-14-06, 02:08 PM
I appreciate all the input......any others out there?

Lady Danielle
11-14-06, 02:51 PM
I worked for VW and the past years did have their problems....but they have pretty much worked out the kinks. Great car..good on gas....I have seen and spoken to parents that their children got into bad car accidents and the car saved their lives. I highly recommend this car especially for a kid. They have so much torque that the base car is great and the options are powered and thats standard. Also plenty of room.

Blackout
11-14-06, 03:05 PM
VW's are always known for having electrical issues. My friend has a 2000 VW GTI and shit is just falling off of it. My other friend had a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and that was a pretty nice car. He didn't have any issues with it but traded it in for a 2005 WRX.

jonnyd
11-14-06, 03:12 PM
VW's are always known for having electrical issues. My friend has a 2000 VW GTI and shit is just falling off of it. My other friend had a 2003 Jetta 1.8T and that was a pretty nice car. He didn't have any issues with it but traded it in for a 2005 WRX.

First I need to say GOOD MAN!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: WRX is def the car to have if your friend is all about the handling + awd + power :D

I've known 3 people with jettas....all their cars had problems. I recommend you DONT get her the jetta! Come on dad, buy her a damn mercedes or bmw! hehehe...or maybe just buy her a cts :)

Elvis
11-14-06, 03:24 PM
It's #1 on the gay men's top 10 list.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Gay-Lesbian/gay-guy-winner.html

Jesda
11-14-06, 05:40 PM
This thread = Living stereotype. :D

The Jetta is a poor value for money in terms of purchase cost AND ownership cost, but those who are set on having them will have them over anything else.

The most important thing is to find a good dealer. VWNA has a shady, half-arsed, uncaring dealer network. That will be more of a problem than the car itself.

Florian
11-14-06, 05:52 PM
Hot chicks always drive Jettas....if shes a nugget, plop her pretty ass in a Jetta!

F

Patrick7997
11-14-06, 08:54 PM
Just say no, dude.... buy her a real car, like a CTS....

And if you MUST do it, you MUST have all the extended warranties you can find, a whole wheelbarrow full of them.... you WILL have issues.

And, their Dealerships give new meaning to the word "Stealership"...

My ex-girlfriend loved the damn things.... I have no idea why. Soooo veeerrryyy overpriced, for what they are.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-06, 09:15 PM
A friend of mine has an '06 Jetta with the 2.5 I-5. It's very solidly built, and is very very composed and confident in the twisties. It's very fun to drive and the drivetrain is super, super smooth, and it seems like VW engineers thought of EVERYTHING when they designed it. Every thing has a reason and purpose, there's nothing in there that doesn't have a purpose. I cannot comment on it's reliability because he's only got like 9,000 on it and is trading it in on a '07 GTi because his lease expires soon.

davesdeville
11-15-06, 03:14 AM
Unless she just graduated with a 4.4, buy her a 94 Chevy Corsica. Jettas are econoboxes and I can't see anyone truly WANTING an econobox, but for an econobox, they're IMO low quality even for an econobox. All the excitement and styling prowess of a Japanese econobox with the problems of a low end German car.

dp102288
11-15-06, 09:22 AM
I say nay. Its good on gas, and safe, but i have heard bad things about them from friends as well.