: OEM Liquid Sealant at Case Half Seal?

Lawrence
03-02-04, 02:02 AM
1994 STS w/ New OEM Service engine installed 03/97

I have found something I didn't expect at the case half seal. It appears there is a factory liquid sealer applied to the flanges. I don't know if it is an anerobic type or not, but it is not a silicone. It is black in color and appears to be of a medium cured consistency (firmer bodied than silicone but still flexible).

I haven't heard of any of them being sealed from the factory, perhaps I am mistaken. Has anyone?

I don't quite know what to do with it.

If it is the ones that are not OEM sealed that are the potential leakers, and this one is, I think I will leave it alone.

If they are all sealed as such, I suppose I will precede with the reseal.

Thank You,
Lawrence

BeelzeBob
03-02-04, 11:52 AM
1994 STS w/ New OEM Service engine installed 03/97

I have found something I didn't expect at the case half seal. It appears there is a factory liquid sealer applied to the flanges. I don't know if it is an anerobic type or not, but it is not a silicone. It is black in color and appears to be of a medium cured consistency (firmer bodied than silicone but still flexible).

I haven't heard of any of them being sealed from the factory, perhaps I am mistaken. Has anyone?

I don't quite know what to do with it.

If it is the ones that are not OEM sealed that are the potential leakers, and this one is, I think I will leave it alone.

If they are all sealed as such, I suppose I will precede with the reseal.

Thank You,
Lawrence

That is a service engine that was assembled with the aneorobic sealant. The sealant is actually a bright red but it only cures in the absence of oxygen (aneorobic....) so the excess sealant that squeezes out of the joint just hangs there and slowly hardens over time....it is probably still somewhat gummy feeling...it gets black from the dust and dirt around the area...

If yours has the aneorobic sealant I would leave it alone as it has all the good sealant and rear main seal in it as well as the updated rod bearing material and all. Leave it alone.

Lawrence
03-02-04, 12:14 PM
This stuff is black through and through. I pulled a couple of peices and the cross section is black. Thats what really throws me. All anerobic sealer I have ever seen is red. Would you still beleive it to be the anerobic or proper sealant?

Do you suppose it would have the updated oil pan seal, baffle, pickup, etc as well?

BeelzeBob
03-02-04, 12:40 PM
This stuff is black through and through. I pulled a couple of peices and the cross section is black. Thats what really throws me. All anerobic sealer I have ever seen is red. Would you still beleive it to be the anerobic or proper sealant?

Do you suppose it would have the updated oil pan seal, baffle, pickup, etc as well?

I am pretty sure that that is the anerobic sealant you are looking at. It turns black like that as it ages outside the joint.

What "updated" pan, baffle , pickup, etc...?? All that stuff really stayed the same over the years. The seal is the same and such...just the groove it is in was modified a little for depth. If you have that recent of a service engine with the evidence of the aneorobic sealant around the joint (that is the only thing that would have been put in there anyway....) I would never tear into it.

Lawrence
03-02-04, 12:47 PM
I posted that wrong. The GM guy at the parts counter said there was a redesigned oil "manifold", and it required the use of a redesigned oil pickup tube and oil baffle.

BeelzeBob
03-02-04, 11:11 PM
I posted that wrong. The GM guy at the parts counter said there was a redesigned oil "manifold", and it required the use of a redesigned oil pickup tube and oil baffle.

The construction or assembly of the lower end changed slightly about 96 or soo....the oil plate orginally had cast-in-place steel washers and the windage tray (oil baffle) went over the main bolt stud headed bolts and was nutted in place. The design changed slightly so that the windage tray assembles directly to the oil distribution plate, the steel washers were eliminated and the main bolts go directly thru the windage tray using it as the load bearing washer against the aluminum oil plate. There is no difference in function with the design change...just eliminated 11 stud headed main bolts (plain bolts are now used) and 11 nuts...and it made the assembly easier and quicker on the line. There is no functional difference...but yours should have the later design.

Lawrence
03-10-04, 03:02 PM
bbobynski, so this is the newer design?

But this doesn't look like the new rear main seal?

Also are 2 pics of that case half seal.

Anyway, on to my main question. I can't find a seal listing (Part No) for the oil manifold to lower case half. Parts guy can't either. Is it intergal to the oil manifold?

BeelzeBob
03-10-04, 05:05 PM
bbobynski, so this is the newer design?

But this doesn't look like the new rear main seal?

Also are 2 pics of that case half seal.

Anyway, on to my main question. I can't find a seal listing (Part No) for the oil manifold to lower case half. Parts guy can't either. Is it intergal to the oil manifold?

Yes, that is the newer design of the oil manifold plate and the windage tray/oil scraper. Notice that the main bolts go directly thru the scraper plate and use it as a "washer" or load bearing surface. The older design had stud headed main bolts with the oil scraper tray mounted with nuts to the top of the stud headed main bolts. Either design works fine....the design was changed to make the engine less expensive and easier to build. Less parts and less assembly labor...no difference in durability or performance.

How can you tell about the rear main seal??? You cannot see the part that is different. There is a teflon lipped rear main seal that is the current production part today. That is NOT what is the re-designed seal for your generation of engine and was NOT the design change that was incorporated to make the LCC seal more robust. The seal you have is the wider seal based on the build date/time of the engine. It is not leaking....leave it alone.

The seal for the oil manifold plate is NOT serviceable. separately. It is molded directly into the oil manifold plate and you have to replace the entire oil manifold plate.