: Unusual Trumpet Sound

Pharmer53
11-12-06, 11:27 PM
I have a very unusual sound which I've been unable to locate its origin. It actually sounds like a trumpet and occurs so intermittently that it won't duplicate for the dealership. No codes have been set either. The sound has occurred at slow speeds, high speeds, and at idle. I think it is coming from the left front area, but sometimes from the rear of the vehicle. Could this be related to the traction control system because the dealer just replaced a sensor about 3 months ago? ( 06 SRX V8 rwd) Thanks,

c5 rv
11-13-06, 12:05 PM
Is this a sound you hear from inside the vehicle or can it be heard outside? Is your radio on or off when you hear the sound?

Pharmer53
11-13-06, 05:47 PM
c5, the sound can be heard from outside the vehicle and upon hearing the sound I turned the radio off, the medium pitched sound continued. Its driving me crazy that I can't pinpoint where it is coming from. It is so intermittent and only lasts about 5 seconds, that there is not enough time to get out of the car and investigate. Thanks for the reply

donjumpsuit
11-13-06, 07:26 PM
Check to see if your RPM fluctuates slightly during the sound, returning to normal after the sound. I have a sound, it is more like a buzz, or hum, that happens at around 60mph, when it is in 5th gear around 2000 rpm. It intermittenly makes the rpm dip ever so slightly, returning to normal after the event. Much to your dismay, they have never figured out why, and since it hasn't effected performance (well directly related anyway) they have not dedicated time to fixing it.

dkozloski
11-13-06, 07:44 PM
It's the angel Gabriel. You're about to meet your maker.

Pharmer53
11-13-06, 11:13 PM
don, I haven't noticed any fluctuations in the rpm (except for the infamous torque converter issue that I may have also) and it happens at any rpm, and in "park".

... as for the angel, I'm comfortable with that and it will be an exciting time.

c5 rv
11-14-06, 01:14 PM
... as for the angel, I'm comfortable with that and it will be an exciting time.

If it's just you going home, please be sure you're in Park, first. If its The Rapture, don't worry about it.