: Looked at a couple SUV's yesterday and I might've found a winner

SpeedyArizona
11-12-06, 10:53 PM
Well yesterday I was at car dealerships all day. I probably looked at over 20 different SUV's ranging in price from $6000 to $60,000 (yes...a new Escalade:highfive: ). And from all the test-driving I've done, I narrowed down my choices to a select group.

I found a couple Chevy Tahoe and Ford Explorers that were nice but the only problem was both had more miles than I would've liked. BUT one vehicle that stood out from the rest was a brand spankin' new '07 Ford Escape (non-Hybrid):worship: . I loved the style, the comfort, the car-like feel, and especially the gas mileage. The price wasn't horrible at around $26,000 (Limited Edition + Luxury Package and 4WD) but still a little more than I'm wanting to spend. If the price were $6000 less I would've bought it right there on the spot but it isn't:rant2: .

So right now I'm trying to decide what to do... Anybody here know anyone with an Escape and how do they like it?

And some of you will probably say "Well why not buy a used one?". Because I really LOVE the new car feel, it is truly "mine". I told them I'd call them Tuesday with my decision. Any advice?

OffThaHorseCEO
11-12-06, 10:59 PM
ford?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-06, 11:07 PM
This nice thing about an Escape is it's a brand new car!

Other than that, I don't know much about them. They sell a good amount so they must be doing something good, and they get decent mileage, well, good for an SUV, but other than that, they seem pretty vanilla.

Didn't you want a full size SUV so you could carry around a lot of clients?

TomDeville
11-12-06, 11:35 PM
2003 Escalade.

:cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-06, 11:35 PM
What no poem? Tom, you disappointed me. :D

TomDeville
11-12-06, 11:39 PM
Yo Master Chad;
Don't be sad.
If he gets a Ford;
He might be mad.

:cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-06, 11:41 PM
Shakespear couldn't have said it better! :thumbsup:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-13-06, 12:00 AM
go drive a VUE .....

if you wanna abandon GM , and get an SUV .....the Vue is the way to go with that damn honda engine ....

really it is a nice rig , i had one for a week back when i worked for caddy ...

gary88
11-13-06, 12:03 AM
Well if your main concern is how many people it seats...

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/7132/vcs45.jpg

SpeedyArizona
11-13-06, 07:41 AM
Didn't you want a full size SUV so you could carry around a lot of clients?

Not exactly. I've been using my Eldorado as my work car and I've had clients complain about having to get in the back (especially elderly ones). I never carry more than 2 or 3 clients at a single point in time. My main concern was getting something that had 4 door and enough room for them to be comfortable.

The Escape's rear seats are fairly roomy which suprised me for the size of the vehicle.

2003 Escalade

I won't lie to you, the ones I looked at were pretty sweet. But both had over 20,000 miles and were the same price as the Escape.

go drive a VUE .....

if you wanna abandon GM , and get an SUV .....the Vue is the way to go with that damn honda engine ....

really it is a nice rig , i had one for a week back when i worked for caddy ...

I'll try and check it out. I wanted to buy American but if the shoe fits...

Well if your main concern is how many people it seats...

Hmm....wonder what kind of gas mileage that rig gets:D...

RobertCTS
11-13-06, 07:52 AM
I despise imports but the Porsch Cayenne is really HOT. Yep, to pricey too.

xxpinballxx
11-13-06, 08:39 AM
Buick and chrylser have a couple nice ones but you are looking fora good price.
My old boss had a escape and thought she wanted a new car. Bought a Pilot and before the week was up wanted the escape back. I drove it a couple times and it rode real nice. Didnt feel like a SUV but had enough cargo room.
she never had any problems with it either. just one opinion.

Jesda
11-13-06, 08:41 AM
The Escape/Tribute is the best-handling and best-driving SUV you can possibly buy (excluding luxury models twice the price). The Mazda version has some nice suspension tweaks.

xxpinballxx
11-13-06, 08:54 AM
My parents haved a Buick Rendezvous and I think its better than the escape. Rides smooth and has a sporty edge to its suspension. After I get another caddy for a toy I am planning on trading the grand cherokee in on a new rendezvous.

Elvis
11-13-06, 09:00 AM
Sorry, Speedy, but I can't support you on this one. I have no problem with Ford (as everyone knows) but there are two vehicles out there that I liked better than the Escape:

1) CR-V
2) Torrent/Equinox (despite the Chinese motor)

And I agree with pinball, I liked the Rendezvous better as well.

xxpinballxx
11-13-06, 09:03 AM
Did you try a rendezvous? I really think the pacifica is a great ride for looks and comfort and SUV-esque qualities.

Elvis
11-13-06, 09:09 AM
My in-laws have a loaded Pacifica, they love it, but it's still a Dodge in my book.

I didn't drive the Rendezvous, but the Torrent/Equinox will probably soon replace it. I was impressed with the efficient use of space in all of those vehicles.

As much as I would strive to buy American, if I had to make a buying decision today I'd move the new-style CR-V to the top of my list.

CIWS
11-13-06, 09:11 AM
Only SUV I owned was a Nissan Murano (03). Had it about 2.5 years and then traded it in on the V. Nothing wrong with it, no real complaints. Drove nice and I liked the CVT transmission. But I just wanted to drive something that had more of a "fun" factor for a daily driver.

dp102288
11-13-06, 09:21 AM
I say no on the Escape. If its already $6000 more than what you wanted to spend, then I say go for the Honda of Toyota SUVs (the midsize ones). I know the want of a "new" car, but the depreciation makes me always push for used...

Stoneage_Caddy
11-13-06, 09:37 AM
Not exactly. I've been using my Eldorado as my work car and I've had clients complain about having to get in the back (especially elderly ones). I never carry more than 2 or 3 clients at a single point in time. My main concern was getting something that had 4 door and enough room for them to be comfortable.

The Escape's rear seats are fairly roomy which suprised me for the size of the vehicle.

I won't lie to you, the ones I looked at were pretty sweet. But both had over 20,000 miles and were the same price as the Escape.

I'll try and check it out. I wanted to buy American but if the shoe fits...

Hmm....wonder what kind of gas mileage that rig gets:D...

yeah that saturn vue is a very nice driving rig , and most of it is american , just that damn honda engine that bugs me ....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-06, 10:18 AM
Here's a thought Speedy, how about a Touareg?

It's very very luxurious, but low key. Roomy enough for 4 adults, drives excellent (like most German cars), is great off road (I've been to Arizona, there are lots of places to offroad!) and a VW is like a Buick, where as it doesn't scream luxury like a BMW or Escalade will, but is more subtle, while being just as luxurious!

Plus, they offer a V6 model, and that probably gets decent mileage, and has decent performance to boot. Or you could get really lucky and find a V-10 TDi model that has 553 lb/ft, while it gets 22mpg highway!

The Touareg/ Cayenne is my favorite SUV.

Elvis
11-13-06, 01:07 PM
I hate to say this, but if you're at all concerned about passenger comfort getting in and out, nothing beats a minivan. :getaway:

CIWS
11-13-06, 01:19 PM
I hate to say this, but if you're at all concerned about passenger comfort getting in and out, nothing beats a minivan. :getaway:

Don't forget racing ....

t6-CADcY4KU

caddycruiser
11-13-06, 01:28 PM
I think some of you are getting a little far fetched, and not giving good information at all.

I know many people with Escapes, and all love them. Out of all small SUV's, they're one of the best out there, and that's even after having been on the market for several years. They have not been problematic at all, and built nicely, the 3.0L has a nice blend of power and efficiency, and they're just really fun & sporty, but also comfortable. No, not a big full framed V8 beast, but very few people need or use that anyway, so they end up being just right a lot of the time.

In Limited trim, they're also quite luxurious and look even better. Given what is your obvious price range, I'd be VERY tempted to get a new one of these vs. a few year old "whatever else" with more miles and wear on it.

And even though the sticker is a bit out of your range, there's always rebates, and Ford dealers are always usually willing to deal without much effort, so looking at some recent pricing, I'd say about $3k off sticker would be about right. Also, being new, that means full warranty and only you've touched it, so you really have to factor that into the equation of things.

SpeedyArizona
11-13-06, 10:20 PM
I despise imports but the Porsch Cayenne is really HOT. Yep, to pricey too.

Just a tad out of my price range...try $70,000 over:D.

The Escape/Tribute is the best-handling and best-driving SUV you can possibly buy (excluding luxury models twice the price). The Mazda version has some nice suspension tweaks.

I've heard good things about the Escape and Tribute too.

My parents haved a Buick Rendezvous and I think its better than the escape. Rides smooth and has a sporty edge to its suspension. After I get another caddy for a toy I am planning on trading the grand cherokee in on a new rendezvous.

I looked at one and although it seemed nice, I thought the price was a bit steep for what you're getting. And it is a Buick....albeit a nice one.

Sorry, Speedy, but I can't support you on this one. I have no problem with Ford (as everyone knows) but there are two vehicles out there that I liked better than the Escape:

1) CR-V
2) Torrent/Equinox (despite the Chinese motor)

Didn't look at a CR-V but I despise the van look. I will NEVER buy a minivan....NEVER, NEVER, NEVER:D...NEVER!

Also I looked at the Equinox but I could get a new fully-loaded Escape cheaper than a fully-loaded Equinox. And I still don't care for that particular style...

Did you try a rendezvous? I really think the pacifica is a great ride for looks and comfort and SUV-esque qualities.

No, I didn't test-drive it but looking was good enough. Now I agree the Pacifica is a great vehicle but it doesn't really appeal to me. I love the interior but I'm not in-love with the exterior.

I say no on the Escape. If its already $6000 more than what you wanted to spend, then I say go for the Honda of Toyota SUVs (the midsize ones). I know the want of a "new" car, but the depreciation makes me always push for used...

I usually always buy used because of the depreciation but this time I'm temped. The depreciation isn't horrible and it definetly has low miles:D.

SpeedyArizona
11-13-06, 10:26 PM
Here's a thought Speedy, how about a Touareg?

It's very very luxurious, but low key. Roomy enough for 4 adults, drives excellent (like most German cars), is great off road (I've been to Arizona, there are lots of places to offroad!) and a VW is like a Buick, where as it doesn't scream luxury like a BMW or Escalade will, but is more subtle, while being just as luxurious!

Plus, they offer a V6 model, and that probably gets decent mileage, and has decent performance to boot. Or you could get really lucky and find a V-10 TDi model that has 553 lb/ft, while it gets 22mpg highway!

The Touareg/ Cayenne is my favorite SUV.

The problem is Touareg retian their value fairly well and it's difficult to find a used one with low enough miles but still in my price range. Even the V6 2004's run at least $30,000. I agree it's definetly luxurious but it's unforunately out of my price range and I refuse to finance. I work with people that finance million-dollar homes everyday and too many times they fall head-over-heels into debt. I prefer to write a check and not have to pay outrageous interest rates.

I hate to say this, but if you're at all concerned about passenger comfort getting in and out, nothing beats a minivan.

DON'T EVER SAY MINIVAN......AHHH KILL ELVIS:D.

I think some of you are getting a little far fetched, and not giving good information at all.

I know many people with Escapes, and all love them. Out of all small SUV's, they're one of the best out there, and that's even after having been on the market for several years. They have not been problematic at all, and built nicely, the 3.0L has a nice blend of power and efficiency, and they're just really fun & sporty, but also comfortable. No, not a big full framed V8 beast, but very few people need or use that anyway, so they end up being just right a lot of the time.

In Limited trim, they're also quite luxurious and look even better. Given what is your obvious price range, I'd be VERY tempted to get a new one of these vs. a few year old "whatever else" with more miles and wear on it.

And even though the sticker is a bit out of your range, there's always rebates, and Ford dealers are always usually willing to deal without much effort, so looking at some recent pricing, I'd say about $3k off sticker would be about right. Also, being new, that means full warranty and only you've touched it, so you really have to factor that into the equation of things.

Thank you:). Right now I'm on the fence, I'm still very interested in the Escape but I may hold off for a few more days and check out a couple of recommendations.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-06, 11:15 PM
So right now it's basically Escape v. Equniox? The '07 Equinoxes have a beautiful interior, and are very roomy, especially in the back, but I'm not keen on the exterior design. If I was gonna get something from that family of GM SUV's, I'd go with the GMC Arcadia or the Torrent..

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 07:34 AM
So right now it's basically Escape v. Equniox? The '07 Equinoxes have a beautiful interior, and are very roomy, especially in the back, but I'm not keen on the exterior design. If I was gonna get something from that family of GM SUV's, I'd go with the GMC Arcadia or the Torrent..

Well I never really considered the Equinox but with all the recommendations, I may need to check it out more thoroughly. I really like the Escape but it's possible I'll like the Equinox better.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 07:51 AM
I totally forgot about the equinox. Those are real nice and you can get them for a pretty good price if you find a demo they are a steal. I think they look ten times better than a escape and the inside is a bit classier looking to me. I really couldn't tell alot about the ride difference because the times between driving them were so far apart I couldn't really compare. My vote os for an equinox...my sister has one.

gothicaleigh
11-14-06, 08:36 AM
Used AWD V8 Magnums are offered in the low 20k range. They stand higher than the RWD Magnums (in other words, more SUV-like), and in my mind easily beat a Ford Escape in every way (although I will admit I wouldn't give any of the small SUVs a second glance; All "meh").

Elvis
11-14-06, 08:42 AM
I forgot about the Acadia. It looks fantastic, but I'm sure it will be out of the price range and not discounted for a while.

There's a really cool multimedia presentation here: http://www.gmc.com/

dp102288
11-14-06, 10:04 AM
That minivan CIWS posted is great!

The family is looking for a mini-van. Stuck between the Sienna and Odessey. We were looking at an SUV, but for us a minivan is a better choice. Less gas, more room. We never tow or go off road so we didn't find a reason to get an SUV.

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 04:10 PM
I totally forgot about the equinox. Those are real nice and you can get them for a pretty good price if you find a demo they are a steal. I think they look ten times better than a escape and the inside is a bit classier looking to me. I really couldn't tell alot about the ride difference because the times between driving them were so far apart I couldn't really compare. My vote os for an equinox...my sister has one.

I think the interior's on the Equinox are better but I dislike the styling. I really don't care for the crossover look unless it's a Lexus...

Used AWD V8 Magnums are offered in the low 20k range. They stand higher than the RWD Magnums (in other words, more SUV-like), and in my mind easily beat a Ford Escape in every way (although I will admit I wouldn't give any of the small SUVs a second glance; All "meh").

No cars, a Magnum is a wagon not an SUV. The reason I'm buying an SUV is to seat 4 people comfortably and the second is so I can sit up high.

I'm going to look at the Equinox and a few others today and hopefully I'll have a decision by tomorrow.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 04:17 PM
Hey speedy here is a link to a comparison...
http://www.newcars.com/review_model/Chevrolet_Equinox_Ford_Escape.html

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 07:26 PM
Hey speedy here is a link to a comparison...

I checked out the Equinox and absolutely love the interior! It's gorgeous and more luxurious than the Escape. I'm not in love with the styling or the crossover look but the interior made up for it.

But I think I made a decision that even suprised me! I have someone interested in my Porsche and I will probably sell it. I paid around $20,000 for it and that's the same price I'll ask. If I sell it through the dealership that I buy my new car from, I won't have to pay tax on both. And with an extra $20,000, I could buy a REALLY nice used Escalade or a brand new, fully-loaded Equinox:D.

BUT....in the end I'm still going with the Escape. I feel more comfortable in it than the Equinox and it really has everything I want or need. They're asking $28,500 but I think I could get them down to $25,000 or hopefully $24,000.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do:D.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 07:35 PM
Glad you made your mind up. I hate having to make those kinds of decisions....
always flipflopping back and forth.
I'm a bit confused though....20000 for the porsche 25000 or so for the escape where is the extra 16000 come from? or am i reading it wrong.

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 08:32 PM
I'm a bit confused though....20000 for the porsche 25000 or so for the escape where is the extra 16000 come from? or am i reading it wrong.

THANK YOU:D! I must've drank too much wine tonight!

I was thinking that I would save $16,000 by selling the Porsche. The Escape will hopefully run me around $24,000 and if I sell the Porsche for $20,000, I'll only have a $4000 difference. Thus I will have saved $16,000, it was just worded wrong.

Done, Fixed:).

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 08:40 PM
oh okay I thought I had drank too much and lost all common sense....well thats not all too far from the truth but even more so after reading that....

AlBundy
11-14-06, 09:01 PM
I know I'm late to this thread. "Missed me?" but I was just in a Dodge Nitro and the thing is so much more that what I thought it was. I'm a tall guy and it has plenty headroom, leg room and overall a very nice truck. If you have'nt already tried one I suggest you do before making that decision final or are you a Dodge hater?

SpeedyArizona
11-14-06, 09:13 PM
I know I'm late to this thread. "Missed me?" but I was just in a Dodge Nitro and the thing is so much more that what I thought it was. I'm a tall guy and it has plenty headroom, leg room and overall a very nice truck. If you have'nt already tried one I suggest you do before making that decision final or are you a Dodge hater?

I like Dodge but I guess I never thought about the Nitro. The problem is the Dodge dealer near me is less-than-reputable as a few of my friends have gotten ripped off on vehicles they've bought there. There is a good Dodge dealer in Phoenix but I'm still unsure if I want something as large as the Nitro (plus the lower fuel economy).

Maybe I'll test drive it on Saturday before I buy the Escape. Who knows, maybe I'll like it better but damn that Escape is nice:D.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-14-06, 09:22 PM
I know this is kinda late, and it might be too old of an SUV for you,

But how about a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited?
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/005995-E.jpg
Fastest SUV ever made when it came out, still in the top 10, very handsome lines, very luxurious interior, awesome off road, and pretty damned reliable!

If I was in the market for an SUV, this would be it.

Elvis
11-15-06, 09:19 AM
BUT....in the end I'm still going with the Escape. I feel more comfortable in it than the Equinox and it really has everything I want or need. They're asking $28,500 but I think I could get them down to $25,000 or hopefully $24,000.

Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do:D.

In the end you gotta go with what feels right. :thumbsup:

15% off of sticker is probably very good for a 2007 model as popular as the Escape. I don't think they're discounting the hybrids at all.

25% off is good on a 2006 model. If you have a relationship with the dealer you might do even better.

dp102288
11-15-06, 09:40 AM
Just keep us posted on what you finally do! :thumbsup: