: Plugging in radar detector?

Djacobs64
11-12-06, 09:37 PM
Hi guys,

I'm about to get my first SRX and was wondering if anyone else with a radar detector has found a way to plug it into the power outlet next to the ashtray without having to have the ashtray door open all the time?

Thanks

sgilbert
11-12-06, 10:26 PM
I've got mine hard-wired to the rear wiper switch in the overhead console using an additional power cord cut short and channeled down the rear view mirror assembly. Take extreme caution removing the overhead console, if you choose that route--I had to JB Weld the plastic cover back up, as it never would stay up.

As to your original question, you could tap into the rear of the cigarette lighter assembly, then route your wires as you see fit.

vdo
11-13-06, 09:42 AM
I, too, hard-wired my radar to the overhead console, but I had the same problem with my cell phone charger. I got tired of my change falling out of the change tray, so I just wired an additional 12V outlet on the lower panel.

http://home.austin.rr.com/vdo/pics/misc/srx_lighter.jpg

http://home.austin.rr.com/vdo/pics/misc/v1pic2.jpg

jgn
11-13-06, 12:25 PM
I wired mine to the rear wiper switch as well. I used a black phone cord. I too could not get the console to snap back in place so I asked the dealer to do it next time I had it in for some warranty work, they did it N/C.
It's nice because it turns off win the ignition is off.

louisn
11-14-06, 12:30 PM
vdo, Based on your photo-I was always taught that having that many keys stressing your ignition causes premature wear. I think Cling and Clang on the radio also warn against this. Some type of lever-action.:tisk:

sgilbert
11-14-06, 12:45 PM
vdo, Based on your photo-I was always taught that having that many keys stressing your ignition causes premature wear. I think Cling and Clang on the radio also warn against this. Some type of lever-action.:tisk:

That's Click & Clack. He's only got HALF as many keys as I have, and have never had a problem.

vdo
11-14-06, 01:59 PM
vdo, Based on your photo-I was always taught that having that many keys stressing your ignition causes premature wear. I think Cling and Clang on the radio also warn against this. Some type of lever-action.:tisk:haha, thanks for looking out. I wasn't aware of the premature wear issue, however, I do get annoyed when my keys "cling clang" against the dash sometimes. But if you look close, you'll see that I have a quick connect on my extra keys where I can easily remove them.