: N* water pump froze in housing

jones105n
11-12-06, 03:55 PM
I have gone through TWO of the special water pump tools trying to remove the pump from the housing to no avail. I have been using the LISLE Part#14440 from the local parts store. Clock-wise from the left side of vehicle but still won't move with a cheater and the special wrench just slips off the tangs. Any suggestions?????????:confused:

Ranger
11-12-06, 04:55 PM
Get a good machined tool from Snap-On, KentMoore or such. A few short bursts from an impact should break it free.

jones105n
11-12-06, 06:51 PM
Thanks Ranger! Finally got it to break free after a few taps on the face of the tangs and the second wrench turned it free. I am going to return the first one, trash the second as it is only good for installation, and buy a third from the local Kent-Moore dealer.

Ranger
11-12-06, 07:37 PM
Buying a good one now may be a waste of money as you may never need it again. I made one a few years ago so I would have it if I ever needed it. I also figured it would be good insurance against a pump failure. So far it has worked like a charm. It is sitting unused in my tool box.

dennii825
12-13-06, 07:06 AM
i just changed my pump,i borrowed the tool from auto zone.they had me give them a 30$ deposit and gave it back to me when i took it back..it seemed to be a pretty good tool hardend steel.i had no problem with mine it popped right out remember clockwise and it only turns a bout a 1/4 inch.

thank you everyone on the advise on the water pump repair....

guess im a little late,hope eveything worked out