: started my headgasket job today

smooththg6969
11-11-06, 09:46 PM
well I started my hg job on my 99 sls I read alot of info but most of it is for the older Seville's so i ran in to a couple of hang ups. there was really no way to get the cradle out with out opening the brake lines I had to disconnect the the brake lines at the master cylinder. I also had to remove the headlights to get the radiator and condenser out I took that out as assembly with the fan connected don't forget the rear o2 sensor as i did. one thing not to cheap out on is get a good dolly for the engine I used a 15 dollar furniture dolly from harbor freight its holding up to the weight of the power train but is very difficult to move. I will update as I progress.

dp102288
11-12-06, 08:34 AM
Good luck with it! Keep us posted.

smooththg6969
11-12-06, 02:05 PM
well got the intake off so far the water crossover is being a pain in the rear got the crank pully off its just so much stuff i gotta take off to get to one head Its kind of got me feeling discouraged but i guess If I set goals Ill get through it My goal for today it to get one head off we will see how it goes.

zonie77
11-13-06, 11:10 PM
If you think it's hard this way imagine trying to do it in the car! Even pulling it out the top is MUCH harder than dropping it out the bottom.

I'm not sure why you had to pull the brake lines. We did 94's and 97's and did not have to pull them. Hung the calipers from the inner fenders and hung the ABS from the radiator support. All the lines stayed hooked up. We disco'd the AC lines though.