: 97 STS Rear Speakers

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 12:35 AM
I've noticed that the rear bass driving speakers distort VERY quickly on the bose system in my car. I'm not turning the volume up to any crazy levels either, I'm talking 3 bars. Is it possible that they're blown? What is usually the culprit, the amp or the speaker itself?

Anyone have some forsale?

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 12:38 AM
could be any of them
check the dust covers on the 6x9s they commonly seperate
usually the fronts blow not the rears so i dont think they are blown
amps are common on these cars and expensive to repair cheap to replace though
also check to see if they look water faded (may have a leak on your rear windsheild and the waters affecting them)
for the mean time set your dsp to drivers seat to help it some what

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 12:44 AM
What other cars use these amps? I look around a junker tomorrow.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 12:46 AM
basically any car with bose used the 4 amp system up to like 95
then most switched to 1 amp the caddys however didnt change until 98 on the seville to 1 amp and the eldos NEVER changed

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 12:48 AM
basically any car with bose used the 4 amp system up to like 95
then most switched to 1 amp the caddys however didnt change until 98 on the seville to 1 amp and the eldos NEVER changed

Examples? lol. I'm so tired.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 12:49 AM
humm
buicks
corvettes
mazdas
camaros
eldorados
sevilles
devilles

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 12:51 AM
LOL! ok. thanks. I like the monsoon system in my buick. Sounds pretty damn good, and the bass hits so much harder than this system.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 12:52 AM
yuh
buick used symphony sound too
those amps will not work
you NEED bose amps

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 12:53 AM
yuh
buick used symphony sound too
those amps will not work
you NEED bose amps

Oh I know. I'm just saying ,the monsoon system sounds much better than any bose system I've ever heard. I think its rated at like what 220 watts, and uses 6x9's a bass drivers in the rear.

stevebuick23
11-11-06, 09:36 PM
Ok, so I did some investgating, and managed to see that the rear left speaker is totally loose on the rear deck. Now, I'm assuming I have to remove the rear seat and rear valance to get at the speakers. Anyone want to tell me how to actually do that? lol

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 09:57 PM
1st
remove the rear seat bottom
to do that push inward on it and pull up
then from in the trunk remove the rear fabric like you would to get to the fuse box in the trunk
there are two 10 inch nuts that connect to studs on the rear seat back
they LAST FOREVER TO REMOVE
once those are out you remove from inside the cab two large nuts which hold the belts on and the rear seat back
then pull the rear seat back out
then there are a few push pins that hold the rear deck fabic on
remove that and the fabric and youll see that the speakers arent held in by screws but by weird clips that go through the deck turn to lock in place and then the speaker clips down to hold in it
odds are one of those clips are broken and if so good luck finding replacements...
dealer probably

stevebuick23
11-12-06, 12:07 AM
1st
remove the rear seat bottom
to do that push inward on it and pull up
then from in the trunk remove the rear fabric like you would to get to the fuse box in the trunk
there are two 10 inch nuts that connect to studs on the rear seat back
they LAST FOREVER TO REMOVE
once those are out you remove from inside the cab two large nuts which hold the belts on and the rear seat back
then pull the rear seat back out
then there are a few push pins that hold the rear deck fabic on
remove that and the fabric and youll see that the speakers arent held in by screws but by weird clips that go through the deck turn to lock in place and then the speaker clips down to hold in it
odds are one of those clips are broken and if so good luck finding replacements...
dealer probably

Thanks man, appreciate it, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. :)

CadillacSTS42005
11-12-06, 01:30 AM
gl man

stevebuick23
11-12-06, 06:54 PM
I did some inspecting and it appears that the dust cover is still intact. The rubber around the speaker cone itself feels really really soft and decade. They distort oh so bad. :(

CadillacSTS42005
11-12-06, 07:09 PM
well
you have several choices
you could replace the speaks with infinity kappa 2 ohm speaks
or hit up ebay for a used set of 6x9s
the surround means nothing
mine sounded 100% fine when i replaced them
the weird fabic like stuff they used to make the surround bends and folds easily making the speaks look and feel like they are blown

id bet you have an amp issue....

CadillacSTS42005
11-12-06, 07:16 PM
wow
must be gettin hard to come by...
these are the only bose 6x9s with amps on ebay now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CADILLAC-SEVILLE-BOSE-rear-amplified-SPEAKERS-deville_W0QQitemZ220041452563QQihZ012QQcategoryZ38 646QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
if i were you id buy them as a set to solve the problem rather than speaks and amps you can get them cheaper together and then your sure to of solved the problem

stevebuick23
11-13-06, 08:25 PM
I went searching around for some 2 ohm 6x9's. (I hooked up some of my 4 ohm speakers to just see if it would distort [they didn't). It seems no one carries them. :( I'm kind of dissappointed. This fuggin sucks. :(

PS. an installed said that the stock speakers were less than 1 ohm. like .2 ohms or something? I was like "waaa?" lol.

CadillacSTS42005
11-13-06, 08:48 PM
that b/c ppl dont know what they are
so they equate them to something that its like impossible
subs can be wired for 1 ohm even less but not usually less
trust me bose is 1 ohm
you could find someone who has a set of bose 6x9s with amps who replaced their systems....
i have my 4 of my stock speaks, amps and hu still...
*wink wink*

stevebuick23
11-13-06, 09:53 PM
that b/c ppl dont know what they are
so they equate them to something that its like impossible
subs can be wired for 1 ohm even less but not usually less
trust me bose is 1 ohm
you could find someone who has a set of bose 6x9s with amps who replaced their systems....
i have my stock speaks with amps still...
*wink wink*

Tell me honestly, do they distort like crazy under moderate bass? I'm not talking anything earth shattering, I just want something to coexist with my subs, which Ican then turn the bass way down on the stock speakers and have the majority of the bass come out of the back.

If they're in decent shape, I've got 50 bucks with your name one it. Haha, holy crap this car is eatting my head with repairs.

CadillacSTS42005
11-13-06, 10:14 PM
nah man they never distorted on me
only reason i replaced is i had everything (ie speakers and wiring) which would fit and i wanted a nav system

stevebuick23
11-13-06, 11:29 PM
nah man they never distorted on me
only reason i replaced is i had everything (ie speakers and wiring) which would fit and i wanted a nav system

Will probably snatch those up. I just need to calculate the shipping. Thanks again man :worship:

CadillacSTS42005
11-13-06, 11:40 PM
np
lemme kno

Elvis
11-14-06, 09:33 AM
Much better. thank you! ;)

CadillacSTS42005
11-14-06, 12:25 PM
lol figured this would surfice lol
thanx elvis