: Oil leak

jholland
11-10-06, 08:31 AM
I have a 97 N* out for a headgasket repair. Two lower head bolts on either side of the No.4 cylinder where stripped and loose. Still had 175lb compression but you know the rest. The engine was leaking oil on the ground. It was all over the oil pan and undercarriage. I was using Mobil 1. It doesn't appear to be leaking from either crank seal. The front seal was totally dry. Could the oil have been coming from between the block and the head. It looks like there are oil return galleys that could seap between the head and the block with a bad head gasket. I don't want to take things appart that aren't in need of fixing but I obviously want to fix the problem while its out. Also when i picked this car up from a used car dealer the low oil pressure light would come on at idle. If I shift to Nuetral the light would go out. I put Mobil 1 5-30 in and never saw the light again. It idles with 7-8 psi. Is that OK or should I address that while it out. The engine has 89,000 mile on it and looks like a well taken care of car. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ranger
11-10-06, 01:03 PM
5-7 psi at idle is normal.