: Okay. Help me with my letter...

Lord Cadillac
11-09-06, 11:09 PM
Well, not so much a "letter" - but a message that I'm going to post on a few forums.. Or, just slap me and tell me it's a terrible idea and I'm going about things the wrong way.. Or - whatever. Just tell me something.. In the "letter", am I getting my point across? How can I simplify what I'm writing?

Thanks in advance... Read on...

Hello,

I'm Sal Collaziano. If you've never run into me over the years, especially on automotive message boards, I'd be kinda surprised.. I'm a certified forum nut - running my first forum as a BBS (bulletin board system) on a Commodore 64 with a 300 baud modem back in the late 80s. Since then, I've started many message boards - some have done well (www.cadillacowners.com/forums/), some have not (www.hyundaikiaforums.com/forums/).

Now, I'm noticing a change. It's often referred to as Web 2.0.. Being an "old guy", I don't like it. I suppose I don't like change.. They say change is good - but is it always good? Unfortunately, I don't think this change is good for forums.. Social Networking is becoming the "forum" that we used to know. As new people sign onto the internet for the first time, they're heading toward Social Networking sites - instead of forums (since they're becoming old news). It's only a matter of time before more people are hanging out in Social Networks than the abandoned forums..

You may have heard of Zoints (www.zoints.com) - which is one company looking to, sort of, blend our old forums into a Web 2.0/social networking type atmosphere (this is a good thing) - and I've got an idea of my own. I'd like to help blend our forums into a Web 2.0/social "bookmarking" atmosphere. Here's my idea...

Let's say you visit 10-20 forums a day, like me (I told you I was certified). It's not easy wading through all the uninteresting posts each one of these forums offer (I always use the "New Posts" option). So how about visiting ONE site, perhaps as your homepage - with all the latest "hot topics" bookmarked FOR you by members of these communities..

If you're familiar with digg.com - than you probably don't need to read any further. It's the same idea - only for forums.

I'm not the best at explaining myself so let me give it another shot. Let's say you're at my site, cadillacowners.com - you find a topic about the new CTS-V in 2008. This is a topic that interests you, so you're going to bookmark it on the "HotTopicsLive.com" website (either for yourself or to alert other viewers of the discussion). Now, if this really is a "hot topic", other people coming along looking at the "automotive" bookmarks will "vote" it onto the front page (or close-by). The most voted for topics (the hottest topics), will be displayed on the front page of HotTopicsLive.com.. If this happens to be your homepage - or just the page you visit to find the latest hot topics, you'll save a lot of time. Instead of wading through 10-20 vbulletin's "new posts" to find interesting topics, you'll find them all in one place.

Whichever topics you find interesting, you click-through to, and while you're at the site - you read them, reply - and do whatever you normally do. You just didn't have to search for it. "It" being the hottest topic (or topics) since the last time you visited the site.

Am I making any sense here? Again, I don't always explain myself very well.. If I'm making sense, let's see if this works... Go to www.hottopicslive.com - sign up (of course, it's free) and submit a topic or two from your favorite message board(s). With a little luck (since it's just the beginning), your topics will get voted to the front page and (eventually) many, many people will find them - who may have not found them before.. See how this could be a good thing for your favorite communities?

Oh, I almost forgot.. You're surely familiar with the term "hot topics" - but "live"? The reason for that is - once the site becomes busy enough where there's a new topic being posted every few seconds (I'm crossing my fingers but not holding my breath) - you'll actually see the topics, in real-time, flash up on your screen.

So.. Are you ready? Go ahead.. Post some of your favorite topics and let's see them get voted to the front page of Hot Topics Live. With a little luck (and persistence), each one of our forums will find new members through Hot Topics Live on a daily basis.. And what's better than "more members" on a message board? - where active members are what it's all about...

TomDeville
11-09-06, 11:28 PM
Dear Boss:

I think that you did a very good job
of explaining yourself.

The concept is meritorious; the target
market is evidently the individual who
visits ten (10) to twenty (20) different
forums, on a daily basis.
Such chronic hardcore forum junkies are
good for business; but, many people
are unable to commit that much time
and attention.

Those who can will certainly benefit.

Best Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:
:cool2:

LittleB
11-10-06, 12:34 AM
Sal-GREAT idea. That's awesome! You wrote it very well, and explained it well. I wouldn't change a thing. It's pretty simple as it is. I am definitely excited to check this out and I hope it becomes popular, because if it does, that site will serve a great purpose. :thumbsup: By the way, I admire that you are always coming up with new project/ideas...

urbanski
11-10-06, 07:12 AM
i'll check it out
the letter is fine :Danielle:

Sandy
11-10-06, 09:26 AM
I'm 59. Therefore:
1. I don't "get" it
2. I don't Understand it
3. I don't see a crying need for it
4. I would not use it
5. Therefore, it's probably a fabulous idea!
6. Anything to confuse us over 45-ers is great!!
7. DO IT !

Kev
11-10-06, 09:29 AM
I'm 59. Therefore:
1. I don't "get" it
2. I don't Understand it
4. I would not use it
7. DO IT !
Yeah, what he said.... :yeah:

Elvis
11-10-06, 09:52 AM
I'm 59. Therefore:
1. I don't "get" it
2. I don't Understand it
4. I would not use it
7. DO IT !

I'm in the same boat with Sandy & Kev.

Therefore, it's probably a fabulous idea!

railven
11-10-06, 10:17 AM
The letter sounded great, but then I started to think of...

MySpace + CadillacForums == http://www.MyCadillac.com!

You can make millions Sal by selling it to the Fox Networks!

Haha. Okay I'll stop I'm sure thats enough to give everyone a shiver.

EDIT: Funny thing is that domain is registered! I wonder what content will go up on it if any ever.

xxpinballxx
11-10-06, 10:25 AM
Well sal....I am familiar with Digg.com and stopped reading at that point like you said so I cannot vouch for the rest of the letter but the beginning is fine! Clear and to the point.
As for the mention of not enough hard core junkies to need this I disagree.
I think instead of one forum type of guys this could and I think would turn many people onto other forums and introduce somethings to people who never even thought about it before.
Great Idea and to think this all came out of a 64! I remember my ole 64. Still got it at my moms house. those were the good ole day when everything you thought of doing was cutting edge technology. Now your thoughts are already plans that haved been followed through on and put into action years ago.

railven
11-10-06, 10:28 AM
As I was thinking about it...this reminds me of an RSS feed.

An RSS feed that collects from a group of RSS feeds giving you say the top ten items of ten seperate feeds.

RSS feeds are awesome, yet confusing, and sometimes a bit problematic.

EcSTSatic
11-10-06, 11:43 AM
I'm in the same boat with Sandy & Kev.

Therefore, it's probably a fabulous idea!

:yeah: The letter looks fine! Don't forget that people have a very short attention span. You might try accents like bullets, bold topic text etc to keep readers focused.

P-Funk
11-10-06, 11:54 AM
I'm 59. Therefore:
1. I don't "get" it
2. I don't Understand it
4. I would not use it
7. DO IT !

:yeah: (Except I'm only 27).
Ah yes, the Commodor 64. Good memories.

90Brougham350
11-10-06, 12:17 PM
I'm with Sandy, although in some of our marketing strategy classes we've been talking about the effects of peer pressure as it relates to forums and sites like myspace.com, so you're right on with what you're talking about. I don't know how to use sites like myspace and the likes, I'm a forum-only kind of guy, but I know there's plenty of people out there the letter appeals to. Well written boss!

Sandy
11-10-06, 01:14 PM
Okay, Okay, hold it right there !!

1. What the heck is digg.com ?
2. What is RSS Feed, some kinda grain for cows?
3. My Space ? WTF is that ?? Like where sit at the table ?

Sal, fab idea. Should rid the club of e'one over age 46 or so...,
Sorta kinda like serving ham at a kosher wedding.
We may have to ban together to form C.C.C. Cadillac Codgers Club,
very basic confuser skills needed, just enter & post.
"Hows your Brougham? Good, mine;s good, too!! Say, what brand
Prune Juice, 'ya use?"

I think that there are many old people (those over 47) on here, that might be
left out (possibly in "My Space") ~

If it's because I own & drive an '03 Town Car as daily transportation, remember
I also have a 93 Sixty Special Show Car, that presently resides in the garage, in
what my wife (Old Cocker she be, at 51) used to call "My Space"

EcSTSatic
11-10-06, 02:02 PM
Okay, Okay, hold it right there !!

1. What the heck is digg.com ?
3. My Space ? WTF is that ?? Like where sit at the table ?

Sal, fab idea. Should rid the club of e'one over age 46 or so...,
Sorta kinda like serving ham at a kosher wedding.
We may have to ban together to form C.C.C. Cadillac Codgers Club,
very basic confuser skills needed, just enter & post.
"Hows your Brougham? Good, mine;s good, too!! Say, what brand
Prune Juice, 'ya use?"

I think that there are many old people (those over 47) on here, that might be
left out (possibly in "My Space") ~

If it's because I own & drive an '03 Town Car as daily transportation, remember
I also have a 93 Sixty Special Show Car, that presently resides in the garage, in
what my wife (Old Cocker she be, at 51) used to call "My Space"

I'm in Sandy. BTW, we have Motts in the fridge. :highfive:

Elvis
11-10-06, 02:15 PM

Yep. It's feed for very smart, upscale, trendy cows. :thumbsup:

Lord Cadillac
11-10-06, 02:56 PM
Anyone care to help get this idea going by submitting one or two of your favorite (recent) topics from message boards you visit?

Sandy
11-10-06, 04:37 PM
What American Car Companies (FoMoCo & GM) need to do, to regain status and respect and get onto youthful shopper's shopping list(s), and what role Cadillac can play to keep its CTS buyers (and wanna be owners) ~ while not losing dignity & respect & admiration of its older past & current owners, thereby steering some Acura, Audi, BMW & Benz "examiners" into a Cadillac (or Lincoln) showroom, if for nothing more than a "look-see" ~ while at the same time appealing to the the younger people. Cadillac has always been the leader - but the "trendy" have beaten a path elsewhere. What can Cadillac do to stem the loss of its market share.

Hows that?

I'd like to see them deep six this DTS STS CTS XLR stuff and go back to elegant, impressive names (MOST) with a heritage, such as de Ville, Seville, Allante, Eldorado. WE are car people. We know what a DTS is. The accountant that also is a professor of finance, teachs 3 nite a week, heads up an accounting office and is busy 24/7 hasen't a clue what a DTS is, BUT, he knows what a BMW or a Jaguar is.....

gothicaleigh
11-10-06, 08:35 PM
I'd like to see them deep six this DTS STS CTS XLR stuff and go back to elegant, impressive names (MOST) with a heritage, such as de Ville, Seville, Allante, Eldorado. WE are car people. We know what a DTS is. The accountant that also is a professor of finance, teachs 3 nite a week, heads up an accounting office and is busy 24/7 hasen't a clue what a DTS is, BUT, he knows what a BMW or a Jaguar is.....

On the flipside, those brands use an alpha-numeric naming system and their owners are more likely to state simply that they own a BMW, not a 545i or 330i. Whereas it was found that Cadillac owners were more likely to use their car's name (i.e. Eldorado or DeVille) instead of the brand name.

Not only does an alpha-numeric system increase usage of the company name, but it is also the norm for modern luxury car manufacturers.
Perception is everything and while "Eldorado" and "DeVille" are indeed legendary nameplates, they evoke memories of classic automobiles, not fresh new designs.

Sandy
11-10-06, 09:59 PM
Oh. Different view. I can't say that I agree with you, BUT....I also cannot say that I disagree with you. 2 different takes.

railven
11-10-06, 10:44 PM
It seems more like nowadays people buy cars based on who's driving it.

Escalade saw a jump in sales when rap artists where "bling-ing" them out. BMW's, in my opinion, is a ricer's luxury car. And well the rest are just fart-cannons with too many aftermarket parts. I don't think Cadillac needs to appeal to a younger crowd. Let those kids buy a Scion and mod it out, the real men/women will drive what their parents drove.

I love how Cadillac is still, sort of, a prestige brand. People don't drive a Caddy because Jay-Z had hoes lying on the hood of one. It is an icon status. You drive a Caddy you got money, style, and self-confidence.

Unless your a rich ***** and you drive an STS-V because it cost more then a standard STS even though you don't know the difference.

TomDeville
11-10-06, 10:45 PM
I appears you are agreeing not
to necessarily disagree.

One does not have to be wrong,
to make another right.
Both positions have considerable
merit; and, they are neither
diametrically opposed or mutually
exclusive.

Nice to see Leigh; I trust Sir Sandy
agrees.

Kindest Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:

TomDeville
11-10-06, 10:51 PM
It seems more like nowadays people buy cars based on who's driving it.
BMW's, in my opinion, is a ricer's luxury car...
People don't drive a Caddy because Jay-Z had hoes lying on the hood of one. It is an icon status. You drive a Caddy you got money, style, and self-confidence.

I concur wholeheartedly.
:cool2: