: Coupe Deville? for Perry Mason

Caddyshack100
11-09-06, 11:02 PM
I was watching TVLand the other night, and I noticed some lawyer show called Perry Mason. When he was driving I noticed that he was driving a Caddy, Does anybody know the model or models he drove? It looked like a convertable.

HartfordGuy
01-29-13, 08:26 PM
An old post, but i'll answer it.

Perry Mason drove a new Cadillac in many of the seasons. The show was filmed in black and white, so it is assumed the cars were black.

Here is his 1957 Cadillac series 62 convertible.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8427199739_f532bb499d_o.png

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8232/8427199601_141938064b_b.jpg

He also had a 58 the next year, and then a 59 the folowing year.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8043/8427598257_27e3949e35_b.jpg

Here is a great video showing some of the great cars used in the show.
Including his fantastic black 59 Cadillac series 62 convertible!

http://youtu.be/Hq9_lXGC07o

Jump to 3:50 in the video to see the 59 in several clips.

creeker
01-30-13, 10:56 PM
It was interesting to see the variety of makes and models of cars in the clip, so often these old shows have the same cars supplied by one maker.

orconn
01-30-13, 11:21 PM
Great bit of nostalgia for those of us that were around! Thanks for sharing!

Bro-Ham
01-31-13, 12:53 AM
Great thread! I love how they so often exited the cars from the passenger side only.

creeker
01-31-13, 01:14 AM
[QUOTE=Bro-Ham;3209230]Great thread! I love how they so often exited the cars from the passenger side only.[/QUOTE

Have you also noticed in a lot of shows when they park the cars, they often leave the head lights on.

Jesda
01-31-13, 01:22 AM
I remember watching this show as a kid, in daytime reruns of course, during the 1980s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA9t1nSGXXE

orconn
01-31-13, 01:36 AM
Did anyone happen to notice that old Perry, the boss, actually walked around the car to the passenger side to open the door for his secretary and helped out of the car. I remember doing the same thing well into the the 1970's!

dkozloski
01-31-13, 02:18 AM
Raymond Burr, who played Perry Mason, had a sister that had worked for Bausch & Lomb in Rochester, N.Y. during WWII. When I was a kid she lived down the street from us in the next block here in Fairbanks. She gave me an autographed picture of Burr and I still have it around somewhere.

creeker
01-31-13, 01:32 PM
Fwiw, raymond burr was born in new westminster british columbia canada.

Bro-Ham
01-31-13, 01:42 PM
Did anyone happen to notice that old Perry, the boss, actually walked around the car to the passenger side to open the door for his secretary and helped out of the car. I remember doing the same thing well into the the 1970's!

Perry was a classic! I still regularly open car doors for passengers, even assist when necessary with a courteous drawing of the seatbelt or opening the ashtray for smokers before closing the door, all just a part of good manners. I enjoy doing it, and in our ever coarsening culture it is appreciated by those who know. Orr, have you lost your gentlemanliness?

orconn
01-31-13, 01:44 PM
I have a signed picture of Hopalong Cassidy given to me by William Boyd who was born and grew up in Cambridge, Ohio. To this day I don't know why I still have this picture, even though I don't know where it is.

Just discovered that Hoppy had a Dusenberg ..... who knew?!

Kev
01-31-13, 01:45 PM
Did anyone happen to notice that old Perry, the boss, actually walked around the car to the passenger side to open the door for his secretary and helped out of the car. I remember doing the same thing well into the the 1970's!i still do that for my wife.

orconn
01-31-13, 02:01 PM
Guess you guys both missed the "Feminist" seventies! We all do what we gottta do to get along with the opposite sex!

creeker
01-31-13, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=orconn;3209660]I have a signed picture of Hopalong Cassidy given to me by William Boyd who was born and grew up in Cambridge, Ohio. To this day I don't know why I still have this picture, even though I don't know where it is.

Just discovered that Hoppy had a Dusenberg ..... who knew?!

103168[/QUOTE

Jay leno is a big dusenberg fan, maybe he owns it now?.

Kev
01-31-13, 02:14 PM
Guess you guys both missed the "Feminist" seventies! We all do what we gottta do to get along with the opposite sex!Oh, not at all. I was a teenager in the 70's! Feminism never cramped my style!

orconn
01-31-13, 02:28 PM
Glad to hear "sweetness and light" lived through it!

dkozloski
01-31-13, 05:59 PM
Good manners never left and went anywhere in my circle of acquaintances.

orconn
01-31-13, 06:15 PM
I don't doubt that for a minute! Judging from the number of peaked (trucker) hats I see worn in eating establishments, not to mention jeans and tee-shirts sufficing proper dress for upscale eating establishments and the acceptance of running suits (sweats) for proper business attire. You may not have a lot of company!

Kev
01-31-13, 06:23 PM
Glad to hear "sweetness and light" lived through it!You cut me to the quick, sir! There was no conscious insincerity involved in my personal etiquette dealing with the fairer sex! :rolleyes:

orconn
01-31-13, 06:34 PM
By the way, you may not be aware of the reason the well educated and mostly upper and upper middle class "Feminist" women of the seventies rebelled against niceties of earlier "courtesies" extended by men to women of a previous generation ..... they resented and rebelled against the attitudes of female inferiority that were more often than not accompanied these "niceties." And thus as a statement of their equality both physically and and especially intellectually, they refused the previous generation's etiquette as demeaning.

This "equality" has certainly been born out as females now out number males, by a considerable percentage, as graduates of higher eduction. And have made considerable inroads into the middle management and entrepreneurial ranks of the nation.

Unfortunately the progress made by women in becoming a economically potent force in the American work force has also been accompanied by the inability of an American family to be supported by a single income wage earner.

Bro-Ham
01-31-13, 06:41 PM
Wow, Orr, I'm not quite sure where you live or why you have allowed the surly women there to conquer you - probably time for you to find a better neighborhood where you can get your jewels back out of the lockbox.

Kev
01-31-13, 07:02 PM
By the way, you may not be aware of the reason the well educated and mostly upper and upper middle class "Feminist" women of the seventies rebelled against niceties of earlier "courtesies" extended by men to women of a previous generation ..... they resented and rebelled against the attitudes of female inferiority that were more often than not accompanied these "niceties." And thus as a statement of their equality both physically and and especially intellectually, they refused the previous generation's etiquette as demeaning.

This "equality" has certainly been born out as females now out number males, by a considerable percentage, as graduates of higher eduction. And have made considerable inroads into the middle management and entrepreneurial ranks of the nation.

Unfortunately the progress made by women in becoming a economically potent force in the American work force has also been accompanied by the inability of an American family to be supported by a single income wage earner.Naw, the only women even closely fitting that description in my circles were the public high school teachers. I'm talkin' publicly educated, teenage girls with all the raging hormones baby! I ate lunch with the cheerleaders! They went from mini skirts and blouses to hot pants and halter tops! :0hyeah:

----------

Wow, Orr, I'm not quite sure where you live or why you have allowed the surly women there to conquer you - probably time for you to find a better neighborhood where you can get your jewels back out of the lockbox.It's Ok Bro, with all due respect to orconn, if they found the key, soaked the lock with WD-40 and got the crusty thing open, at his age, it all may just be a fondling . . . er.. I mean fond memory! :p

ral1960
01-31-13, 11:03 PM
I noticed some lawyer show called Perry Mason.And the Beatles are some rock band from England.

Just about everything I watched as a kid was a repeat, but I didn't know it at the time. Most of Perry Mason went over my innocent little head, but I think I would have remembered the Cadillacs if I saw those episodes. The gratuitous smoking is even more shocking than the old-fashioned good manners.

ral1960
02-01-13, 12:06 AM
No delete button. This place has gone to the dogs.

HartfordGuy
02-05-13, 12:07 AM
And the Beatles are some rock band from England.

Just about everything I watched as a kid was a repeat, but I didn't know it at the time. Most of Perry Mason went over my innocent little head, but I think I would have remembered the Cadillacs if I saw those episodes. The gratuitous smoking is even more shocking than the old-fashioned good manners.

I noticed that too. Everyone has a cigarrette in their hand all the time. Even on airplanes. There was one old episode that had the characters at a Circus and Perry Mason walked in smoking. Which I thought was prohibited ever since the tragic Circus fire in Hartford in the fifties that killed so many people. The Circus tents were water-proof with a very flammable chemical then.