: Amp caught fire!

fiXXXer
11-09-06, 09:41 AM
So,

I had recent bought a new amp and 3 12" subs in a box. I connected them, and everything (mostly) ran fine. However, if I turned the bass up too high, be it on the amp itself, or through the head unit, the amp/subs would sometimes cut off. If I turned off the head unit, and thus the amp via remote, for a few minutes, then turned it back on, everything would be OK again.

Well, again, this happened one night. I turned off my system, came home, and went to sleep. The next day, things were still not working. When I would turn on the system, the subs would make a "Whlomp!" sound, then cut off - the normal speakers would still work.

I checked the fuses (there are two) on the amp, and one was blown. I replaced it with the same type of fuse, then turned on my system, only to find that my amp was now pouring out smoke! I turned the system off and disconnected the amp from the battery, and have no touched it again.

So, here are my questions:

What would cause my amplifer and subs to cut off, when the bass is turned too high?
Why is it that, if one of the fuses were blown, the amp was still receiving some power (the "whlomp!" sound)?
After replacing the fuse, why did my amp start smoking?
Do you think my amp is still usable, or did the smoke pretty much say that things are ruined?
If I buy another amp, how can I be sure that this does not happen again?

Thank you!
--Kyle

the727kid
11-09-06, 12:07 PM
1. Too low or too high of an Ohm Independence; Clipping; Not Enough Power; Not enough cool air
2. Was teh fuse 100% blown?
3. Prob clipped teh hell out of the amp
4. Smoke is a good sign things are fuked up, take it to a repair shop
5. Give it enough power, buy a good amp, and don't clip it.

fiXXXer
11-09-06, 12:19 PM
"Too low or too high of an Ohm Independence" What does that mean? Same with clipping.

Not enough power or cool air does make sense, and I did not think about that. As far as the power, a better amp would have corrected this, by being able to supply more power to the subs?

I guess the fuse was 100% blown - the metal inside the fuse was charred, and there was a gap, so there was no connection.

"Prob clipped teh hell out of the amp" What does that mean?

the727kid
11-09-06, 12:26 PM
Clipping.....sending a clipped signal to the amp. Basically when your gains are too high your amp will clip. It's hard to explain. It can damage your amp or speakers.

OHm Indepence.....what you wired your subs at. If you wired them to 1 ohm and your amp is 2ohm stable....there your problem.