: Complete engine overhaul, need help ASAP

Wicho
11-08-06, 11:19 PM
I am dedicating my weekend to bringing my 97 Deville back to perfect running shape. I want to change the oil, oil filter, plugs, plug wires air filter. As far as the oil, oil filter and air filter, I know what to get. For the plugs and wires, this is the first time I have ever changed them on my own. What should I buy ? Should I check and re-gap the plugs before I put them in ? Any help would be greatly appriciated.

99Classillac
11-08-06, 11:37 PM
Get AC Delco. I'm just trying to beat everyone else in sayin that. It's true though.

Wicho
11-08-06, 11:48 PM
Before I go ahead I have another question. I bought my car with roughly 85-89k miles on it. I switched the plugs at the time, but not the wires. Should I change them again with 195k on the clock ? How would I know the wires are still operating to par ? Thanks

Wicho
11-08-06, 11:52 PM
I was also wondering if I should change all the fuses under the hood ? I want to change them out before they go. Good....bad idea ? Thanks

chazglenn3
11-09-06, 01:18 AM
I don't think there is a need to change fuses...as far as I know the only reason for them to go bad is too much current running through them...not old age.

dp102288
11-09-06, 08:10 AM
Wicho, I say change the wires and plugs. Another 100k miles have passed, and that's usually the interval to change them.

Ranger
11-09-06, 10:39 AM
Always check the plug gaps before installing them. Usually I would say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but at 10 years old with almost 200K it is probably due for wires. Stick with A/C Delco. They obviously has proven to be reliable.