: Anyone using IE 7 ?

codewize
11-08-06, 11:11 AM
I just upgraded last night. I always wait until the final release is out on major things like that.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about it.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:13 AM
Nope! Haven't used IE since Mozilla came out. I'm on Firefox 1.5.0.8
Working great....can't live without tab browsing!

CIWS
11-08-06, 11:15 AM
Saw the update, but haven't upgraded. I know a couple of folks who have been using it since it was in beta, they seem to like it. I generally like to let that stuff "age" slightly before putting it in. :)

(I'm currently fighting myself about getting a new laptop)

slk230mb
11-08-06, 11:19 AM
I ran it in beta and have installed the final version on my secondary machines. It's ok, but I still think Firefox does a better job of doing tabbed browsing, but it's definitely a step in the right direction for Microsoft. It's way more secure than IE6 ever was. Eventually I'll install it on my main desktop. The only thing I wish is that they would have included a "classic" style for it. The Vista themed IE7 clashes with Luna in XP IMHO.

codewize
11-08-06, 12:23 PM
IE 7 has tabular browsing.

I agree with the theme. I hate all that crap. I tried real hard to make it look classic.

I also turned off tabular browsing because the tab bar takes up to much real estate on the screen. I'm fine with having 79 million windows open.

Nope! Haven't used IE since Mozilla came out. I'm on Firefox 1.5.0.8
Working great....can't live without tab browsing!

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 12:25 PM
didnt know that. Might have to check it out.....
I have just used firefox so long I totally put IE out of my head.

dp102288
11-08-06, 12:30 PM
Meh...Firefox. I am on 1.5, will be on 2.0 soon.

Jesda
11-08-06, 12:34 PM
I work in Internet tech support. We refuse to offer support to anyone using it. Too many weird scripting compatibility issues. Acts funny. Misinterprets code. Smells like coffee breath.

codewize
11-08-06, 03:50 PM
I'm not very fond of the address bar being at the top with no way to move it. And I definitely don't like the way this 'Clear Type' crap looks on my screen, even after I turned it off.

However I haven't experienced any problems with it yet.

gary88
11-08-06, 04:43 PM
Firefox 2.0 all the way!

codewize
11-08-06, 05:08 PM
I am also not fond of the way it clears all my login info for ever damn website on a reboot.

This may get uninstalled soon

JimHare
11-08-06, 08:08 PM
Opera had tabbed browsing, customizable toolbars, better security and faster operations when Firefox was barely a gleam in the devloper's eye...

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 08:10 PM
yeah I used opera alot and use mini opera for my mobile devices.
I like the looks of firefox better than opera though.

ewill3rd
11-08-06, 09:46 PM
I have been using IE7 since it was in beta.
I never used firefox although I have heard it's far ahead of microsoft's stuff.
I got out of trying to be different a while ago and just accepted that microsoft is in charge of the universe. I don't have time to buck the system these days.
I really like IE7 so far, I have only had a few minor issues with it.
Now you have to opt out if you do a windows update, it will recommend it if you don't have it already. I read you only have to opt out once and as far as I know it's only for XP users.
(and vista I guess)

Code, I have it installed on 2 machines, it doesn't clear any of my logins at all.
Maybe you have some settings that are strange?

codewize
11-08-06, 10:20 PM
Any idea what? I've been looking around and don't see anything.

Code, I have it installed on 2 machines, it doesn't clear any of my logins at all.
Maybe you have some settings that are strange?

ewill3rd
11-09-06, 06:43 AM
Are you talking about things like this forum? It doesn't remember you when you come back or are you talking about secure logins?
Like will it remember when you start typing.

I have several of those, all I have to do is hit the first letter and it puts in my username and then when I hit enter it fills in the password so I just hit enter again.
Sometimes that depends on what you select as you go, like the auto-fill or whatever it's called and "remember passwords".
You can edit those settings but I am not exactly a pro on how to do that.
Some things I choose not to let any browser remember, like access to my financial accounts, but stuff like getting into my GM account so I can work I have it remember.

I like the tabbed browsing myself, I can't stand to have 3 windows open.
I usually run 3 or 4 applications at work and if I have 3 browsers open I can't just click on the launch bar to get to it, I have to remember which window I need. I still have to do that with tabbed browsing but at least when I switch between applications I only have 3 or 4 on the launch bar to choose from.
I am used to the old way so sometimes it's confusing.

I have had one technical problem with IE7 which actually has to do with my GM training. Maybe I'll try it on my wife's laptop, I don't think I upgraded hers yet.

codewize
11-09-06, 07:46 AM
Exactly, but let me explain. Previously the boards and stuff like this I'll check the 'keep me logged in' box and it did. Now it doesn't

Also what you're talking about is the same as me, if you double click in a user-name box it drops down a list of all the things you've used in a box with that title. Same as typing the first letter.

None of that happens anymore. If I reboot I end up logged out of everything and all that info is cleared so I actually have to retype everything, very annoying. I guess it's more secure overall but still very annoying.

Are you talking about things like this forum? It doesn't remember you when you come back or are you talking about secure logins?
Like will it remember when you start typing.

Jesda
11-09-06, 08:49 AM
Opera has always been a rock solid browser. I just despised the UI.

railven
11-09-06, 09:41 AM
Hey Codewize if your talking about "keep me logged in" those are cookies and cache issues.

Check to see if your cache isn't being cleaned daily.

Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Under General Tab --> Browsing History/Settings.

You may have set that to NEVER, unlikely but still worth checking.

I've been using IE7 since BETA and of course I'd agree with Jesda tons of scripting issues. I was wondering if IE7 was going to use a new form of Java because I'd get tons of embedded script issues. I for one hate having to click an interactive embedded object before I can interact with it. It gets a bit annoying. This issue is still reoccuring in the current release.

I however love the image magnifing glass. No longer do I have to click an image, mouse over it and wait for the resizing box on the bottom right to enlarge the image.

As for the tabbing scheme...I love it. I know Firefox has been doing it but I couldn't get along with Firefox. A few of the sites I visited are IE6 specific, what that means I don't know I'm not a web coder but they didn't load properly on Firefox.

You can customize XP pretty good if you know how. I haven't used the Luna theme in years. My desktop looks great with IE7, I have it set to a grey-white with a grey-white start bar on medium transparency, and I love how they got rid of the huge buttons. I think it gives more viewing space over IE6. I removed the MSN search box and stuck my some of the other icons in that corner and I can tab my heart out.

Now, if only they could fix the CTRL-TAB to make it similar to the ALT-TAB function and I'll be a happy camper.

ewill3rd
11-09-06, 09:56 AM
code, you must have changed a setting along the way, my two IE7 computers don't have those issues.
It always keeps me logged in here, I haven't entered my username in months.
I shut this computer down every night.
I have had issues with one drop box for the auto fill feature but it's not one that I need to keep track of anyway so it's not an issue.
The rest of them all work great. Not sure what is causing your problem but it's not IE7 itself.

slk230mb
11-09-06, 11:43 AM
Codewize - definitely sounds like a cookie issue. I just installed IE7 on my desktop and I'll test it out for you.

codewize
11-09-06, 07:14 PM
Interesting, seems to be ok now. However I just recently learned that they did away with the image tool bar. Are they nuts. I love that thing. You know the little tool thingy that appears when you hover on an image. No more. I'm not happy about that.

ewill3rd
11-10-06, 07:27 AM
If you "hover" and the image has been resized it will give you a + or - to adjust the image to the real size or make it fit the display.
Right clicking still gives you all the other options you'd need.
A small price to pay for me for what I like about it.

My wife hates change too...:D
I didn't like a few things about it, but that's the price you pay for something new.
You should hear my wife complain about programming one of our VCRs compared to one that we had 9 years ago... she still screams everytime she has to program one!
Good thing I built a DVR with XP media center edition!

codewize
11-10-06, 08:06 AM
LOL I don't like change but I understand the need and I get over it.

The image toolbar however was removed because a few people said they didn't like it anyway. Why could those people just disable it and move on. Now the folks who liked and used it, can't

See my point.

BTW I was wrong. IE is still clearing login info on a reboot. I don't get it, I just went over every setting very slowly and carefully.

railven
11-10-06, 10:09 AM
I'd recommend try resetting all your options back to default. If that doesn't work uninstall it and then reinstall it. Maybe something went bad in the installation.

I've had programs gliche just because a file was partially written.

codewize
11-12-06, 08:48 PM
Ok it's coming out and I'm writing a very lengthy bashing blog (http://www.comdot.org/)as soon as this is posted.

IE7
Randomly clears cookies on rebooting
Breaks Intuit Quick Books 2006 and older
Breaks Apple iTunes beyond repair
Lacks the images toolbar so many of us have come to love.
Lacks the ability to totally customize tool bars

I see no reason to use this total piece of crap after fighting with my PC for the last week. FU Microsoft.

CIWS
11-12-06, 08:53 PM
I don't think you'll get the full effect unless you go ahead and download and install the newly released Win Media Player 11 :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

codewize
11-12-06, 09:09 PM
Can you elaborate, I really don't want to break my computer any more.

CIWS
11-12-06, 09:24 PM
:D a bit of humor. They just released Win Media Player 11 to be downloaded. Like I.E. 7, I'm betting there's a few "things" to be worked out still.

slk230mb
11-12-06, 09:24 PM
WMP 11 is very good. It has had 0 problem playing back any videos and it even auto downloaded a codec for a video that WMP 9/10 could never play.

codewize
11-12-06, 09:29 PM
Ohhh I though you were saying the fun increases once downloaded. Thanks.

MP has been pretty good in the past with upgrades. IE on the other hand has a pretty bad track record.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-12-06, 10:21 PM
i was gonna switch till i read this thread ....im nor learning how to drive on the information superhighway again ...

DAMN THE INTERNETS!!!!

codewize
11-12-06, 10:29 PM
Stoney, the browser is ok. As far as usage it's really no different and it really does look and feel the same, for the most part.

As far as WMP 11, I just installed it. All is well. I think it took it upon itself to find all the media on the computer and categorized it and add it to my library WITHOUT asking me. Err

ewill3rd
11-13-06, 06:49 AM
I got WMP11 a while ago.
It has some features that I like better than v.10.
I use it as a jukebox at work so I don't go crazy. I need more music on it though.
I miss some of the menu options, but they are still there, just harder to find.

railven
11-13-06, 09:58 AM
Hey Codewize, I think your problem with IE is specific to you, well I haven't heard that complaint coming up on any of the forums I visit regarding Windows.

And MP11 shouldn't have done anything automatically. Microsoft knows the harm automizing anything without user consent. You probably didn't read something fully and hit OK. I believe it asks you to search for all media the first time you run it after it asks about the file extensions, copyright lingo, and that sort of stuff.

I've had IE 7 since its first Beta and MP11 since its first Beta. Only hiccups where certain IE6 websites had problems with IE 7, all Java/Macromedia content requires you to click it before it becomes interactive, and some protected streaming content wouldn't load with MP11 - downgrading back to MP10 fixed that issue.

As for the magnifying glass I love it over the old box that appeared in the bottom right hand. I personally hated having to mouse over the image and wait for it to appear.

Oh well to each their own.

codewize
11-13-06, 10:41 AM
Which complaint. Intuit clearly states that their product is not compatible and I also found several other blogs stating that IE 7 breaks a lot of common software. The list included MS Money, Quick Books, iTunes, MS Works and more.

The cache / cookie clearing thing may be just me. I don't know why it would be just me but it could be. The rest of that is fact and documented.

Hey Codewize, I think your problem with IE is specific to you, well I haven't heard that complaint coming up on any of the forums I visit regarding Windows.

railven
11-13-06, 10:47 AM
I was referring to the clearing of your cookies/cache.

Since I don't use any other Office software, just Word, I haven't had any problem.

Chances are its due to the fact that IE 7 is built with Vista integration and there will be a new Office version out to compliment it too.

dp102288
11-13-06, 11:03 AM
Firefox + Winamp = happy DP. See me smile-->:D

How can IE7 break another MS software? WTF? :histeric:

slk230mb
11-13-06, 11:27 AM
How does IE7 break iTunes? I have IE7 and iTunes on all of my computers now and not one has a problem - either playing music/videos/or going to the online store. Also, office 2003 is working fine with IE7.

railven
11-13-06, 01:01 PM
I can offer two viable theories:

1. Microsoft is at it again trying to break down their competition with their new batches of software, MP11 has a stronger integration of online music stores if you notice then MP10 did, and IE7 is taking up features that Firefox had.

2. The software is still new and therefore not all the bugs our worked out and the result of this is driver conflicts among shared resources/dlls that will result in other software crashing.

You can add your own opinion I'm going with a mix of 1 and 2.

Then again some people who are anal about their computers and keep their hardware up to date suffer the less conflict.

[There are new patches for IE7 and MP11, I think out last week.]

slk230mb
11-13-06, 02:51 PM
I can offer two viable theories:

1. Microsoft is at it again trying to break down their competition with their new batches of software, MP11 has a stronger integration of online music stores if you notice then MP10 did, and IE7 is taking up features that Firefox had.

2. The software is still new and therefore not all the bugs our worked out and the result of this is driver conflicts among shared resources/dlls that will result in other software crashing.

You can add your own opinion I'm going with a mix of 1 and 2.

Then again some people who are anal about their computers and keep their hardware up to date suffer the less conflict.

[There are new patches for IE7 and MP11, I think out last week.]

I agree with most of what you said, but I feel the term "break" is a bit too much.

railven
11-13-06, 02:52 PM
Point taken, and I would agree too.

codewize
11-13-06, 06:25 PM
I just think they suck. But anyhow the problem I experienced with iTunes was that after installing IE7 when I tried to run iTunes I got an error that said something like

Problem with shortcut "This action is is only valid for products that are currently installed"

with an OK button which closed the error box. I tried doing a repair through 'add remove programs' and that didn't fix anything. Totally removing and reinstalling fixed the problem.

I think MS is trying to show off new products and want everyone to use WMP rather than iTunes. I must say that the MP layout and functionality is a lot like iTunes.

I'm one of those anal users. I keep everything up to date within reason.

codewize
11-13-06, 08:27 PM
I got the iTunes thing figured out. For some reason the iTunes helper isn't starting on boot. I can not prove that this is related to IE7 but that's when it started.

The research continues.

dp102288
11-14-06, 11:10 AM
If MS did something to inhibit iTunes, I have no doubt they will pay for it later. Shame, some of MS's stuff is actually worth a damn. Its jsut covered up by all the dumb things they do.

codewize
11-14-06, 02:07 PM
I agree. The iTunes problem as become intermittent so I really can't tell what's causing it but I can tell you that the problem definitely started after the IE7 upgrade.

If MS did something to inhibit iTunes, I have no doubt they will pay for it later. Shame, some of MS's stuff is actually worth a damn. Its jsut covered up by all the dumb things they do.