: My wife is fuming.....

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:11 AM
Well election day came and went and smoking apparently went with it too.
They banned it in public restaraunts and bars. Since she is a big crown royal drinker and can't drink without smoking I guess i'll have more time on this site! LOL! plus the money saved from going out can go into the DeVille.

CadillacGurl
11-08-06, 11:24 AM
That sucks for her. They started doing that in some restaurants downtown. I know it was a huge controversey in New York.
Haha money saved is a good thing! :thumbsup:

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:26 AM
yeah but I am willing to bet I would pay to have her in less of a bitchy mood!
not saying shes a bitch but all women can be bitchy at times.

CadillacGurl
11-08-06, 11:29 AM
Yes so all you have to do is buy a bottle of crown royal and she can drink and smoke in the privacy of her own home.

CIWS
11-08-06, 11:31 AM
Yes so all you have to do is buy a bottle of crown royal and she can drink and smoke in the privacy of her own home.

...and get really pissed (drunk) in the process because she doesn't have to drive home :D

dp102288
11-08-06, 11:33 AM
Het now she will live longer. But some guys would be sad about that! :hide:

I know when they passed that here in NJ, a lot of people were pissed, but its now normal.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:35 AM
Yeah she does that anyway....a big ass 1.75 bottle of crown a week!
But then my going out days are done!
I truly believe that being married and finding someone that I want to be with forever and spend all my time with her means that I should not feel the need to go out without her. The bar scene is not for married people alone. Thats just my opinion. I have seen bars come between relationships and If I am in one shes gonna be with me. of course there are exceptions like if I am at a bachelor party or whatever. Out for business and eat at a bar and grill. But for the most part I feel its wrong to go out drinking in a bar when shes not there. I am rambling today for some reason. Must be the morning alcohol doing it....im celebrating Jesda's birthday.

codewize
11-08-06, 06:27 PM
In my personal opinion smoking should be outlawed in all 50 states.

DILLIGAF
11-08-06, 06:36 PM
Its a democrats fault isn't it?

IBTL

gary88
11-08-06, 06:38 PM
In Chicago you aren't supposed to smoke within 15 feet of a building

CadillacGurl
11-08-06, 06:49 PM
Yes its nice that way. I'm glad you can't smoke on the El either, though one time this woman who was sitting across from me lit up and I was pist. I hate the smell of cigarettes, no offense to you guys that smoke.

LittleB
11-08-06, 07:19 PM
It's been like that here in Cali for a while, and for us non-smokers...it's great! :D

JRau
11-08-06, 08:03 PM
Well election day came and went and smoking apparently went with it too.
They banned it in public restaraunts and bars. Since she is a big crown royal drinker and can't drink without smoking I guess i'll have more time on this site! LOL! plus the money saved from going out can go into the DeVille.

That's interesting... I've never heard of banning smoking in a bar--they kinda go together. I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever been one, but it's gotta be hard for those addicted to the nicotine. Our organization (all 5 sites, plus home office) went tobacco-free July 1st. NO smoking on the property, even in your car. No smoking on the sidewalks either. We did offer smoking cessation classes and gave everyone a half year to warm up to the idea, but nevertheless, it was a hard transition for many. The reason we did this was so that we could emphasize "healthy lifestyles." Some complained that isolating out the smokers was not right, and in fact, overweight staff cost the company more money in worker's comp. claims, time off, etc. Why didn't they have a rule about keeping people thin... It's a vicious cycle and a tough topic. Thoughts??

JRau in central Iowa :confused:

JimHare
11-08-06, 08:06 PM
On Libertarian principles, I have to disagree with the government edict banning smoking in private establishments - even if they are open to the "public", they're owned and operated by a private individual. If Ron Restauranteur wants to allow smoking in his establishment, it should be HIS choice. Customers who do not wish to have smoke in their environment can choose to go elsewhere.

Allowing any government intrusion into private practice is a snowball going downhill fast. Allow it in one area, and soon enough it will be in others. Non-smokers celebrate the eradication of what they deem offensive and non-healthful practices, but what is to stop an overzealous government from banning potato chips, fast cars, 32-oz Colt .45 bottles, or ultra-violent video games?

Once the bottle is open, it's very hard to get the genie back inside...

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 08:08 PM
well here they can even pull you over now if you are smoking in a car with small children. They will ticket you the same as a seatbelt violation. Jrau I could get into that with you but I have been drinking most of the day and don't think I could hold a decent conversation about that. Hit me up tomorrow and we'll discuss.

Rolex
11-08-06, 08:15 PM
I see both sides to the argument. I dislike smoking in restaurants. Having a smoking section in a restaurant is akin to having a pissing section in a public pool.

Even more, I dislike people smoking while standing at the entrance of public buildings and forcing everybody to walk through their carcinogenic cloud. I'm an ex smoker BTW.

Despite all that, I probably agree most with JimHare. Fear your government when they rule over your private practices this way.

JRau
11-08-06, 08:24 PM
well here they can even pull you over now if you are smoking in a car with small children. They will ticket you the same as a seatbelt violation. Jrau I could get into that with you but I have been drinking most of the day and don't think I could hold a decent conversation about that. Hit me up tomorrow and we'll discuss.

Sounds like a good topic, there, xxpinballxx. Talk at ya tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I hope Jesda appreciates all the work you are putting in to celebrate his birthday! :cheers:

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-08-06, 08:26 PM
I see both sides to the argument. I dislike smoking in restaurants. Having a smoking section in a restaurant is akin to having a pissing section in a public pool.

Even more, I dislike people smoking while standing at the entrance of public buildings and forcing everybody to walk through their carcinogenic cloud. I'm an ex smoker BTW.

Despite all that, I probably agree most with JimHare. Fear your government when they rule over your private practices this way.

Pissing section in a public pool---Thats' SO FUNNY!!!! :histeric:

What a visual.......

JRau in central Iowa

malcolm
11-08-06, 08:58 PM
In my personal opinion smoking should be outlawed in all 50 states.
Second hand smoke kills but in my opinion, not soon enough.

Slywun
11-08-06, 10:30 PM
In Chicago you aren't supposed to smoke within 15 feet of a building
Which would put you right in the middle of oncoming traffic.....

Florian
11-08-06, 10:37 PM
1.75L a week, sweet fancy Moses!......"Houston we have a problem."

F

Florian
11-08-06, 10:39 PM
the key to getting around it is: Make your bar a "private club" by making the patrons buy a 1$ membership. Then all the patrons can smoke their lungs out...and its legal. If you aint a "member" you cant smoke.

F

Stoneage_Caddy
11-08-06, 10:41 PM
and if you wanna be a memeber you beatter smoke the memeber's member

Florian
11-08-06, 10:44 PM
...or you could do that. Thats a humbling initiation to the club.

F

TomDeville
11-09-06, 01:02 AM
Smoking Pole... Isn't that really
what has his wife fuming?...

:cool2:

Krashed989
11-09-06, 01:25 AM
Which would put you right in the middle of oncoming traffic.....

Nah, all the buildings are probly 29 feet away from eachother, BUT if you get into the middle of a busy intersection the buildings are far enough apart for you to smoke! :thumbsup:

In Hawaii, they are banning smoking in ALL public places... Even if you're driving down the road and your car is emitting more smoke than you, you can get ticketed for smoking.

Makes me glad I don't smoke... I am a casual drinker though... :)

TomDeville
11-09-06, 01:32 AM
Kindly Define Casual.

Krashed989
11-09-06, 01:38 AM
Binge................... LMAO nah, I just drink with family and friends. Only occasionally I get wasted...

Jesda
11-09-06, 08:47 AM
I, a non-smoker, believe smokers should be liberated. LETS START OUR OWN TOWN WITH BARS THAT LET YOU SMOKE!

Sandy
11-09-06, 09:26 AM
I think that drinking is far worse than smoking.
How many people have been killed by a hit & run smoker?
How many people have killed and/or maimed other people while smoking?
How many people have fallen asleep behind the wheel from too many smokes?
How many people have gotten into fights, slashed or shot by another smoker who was too "wiped out" on smokes?
How many people have gotten divorced over their mates inability to hold a job cause they were always "smoked" ?

30 years ago I switched from Crown Royal to Royal Crown :)
I quit smoking cigarettes on December 13th 2005 - my birthday present, to myslelf and have not smoked cigarettes now for 11 months.
I do smoke a cigar, after dinner, every eve. I have built a cigar smoking room in what used to be the attic of our house, complete with an air purafyer, and exhaust fan, and closed that area off to the rest of the house.
and
I never ever stumble down the stairs from having had 1 too many cigars.

I think booze causes far more grief & suffering than cigars do. Cigarettes, however do suck !

dp102288
11-09-06, 09:47 AM
Sandy, :thumbsup:

I like JimHare's posts about gov't control expanding. But I also understand Rolex's post.

P-Funk
11-09-06, 03:34 PM
How many people have been killed by a hit & run smoker?
How many people have killed and/or maimed other people while smoking?
How many people have fallen asleep behind the wheel from too many smokes?
How many people have gotten into fights, slashed or shot by another smoker who was too "wiped out" on smokes?
How many people have gotten divorced over their mates inability to hold a job cause they were always "smoked" ?

30 years ago I switched from Crown Royal to Royal Crown :)
I quit smoking cigarettes on December 13th 2005 - my birthday present, to myslelf and have not smoked cigarettes now for 11 months.
I do smoke a cigar, after dinner, every eve. I have built a cigar smoking room in what used to be the attic of our house, complete with an air purafyer, and exhaust fan, and closed that area off to the rest of the house.
and
I never ever stumble down the stairs from having had 1 too many cigars.

I think booze causes far more grief & suffering than cigars do. Cigarettes, however do suck !

:werd:

I also agree with some others. I am a non-smoker but I have no problem with a restraunt/bar having a smoking section. I don't like the smoke around me but if the smoke starts to get to me, I leave. If there is no area where the smoke isn't annoying, I don't go back. The place may lose some business by having a smoking section but it is the OWNER'S place and he/she can do with it as he thinks is best.

xxpinballxx
11-09-06, 04:43 PM
Geez Sandy...you paint a bad pictures for us drinkers.....
How many ugly people got laid cause someone smoked so much their
standards lowered.
I know I woke up next to a few pigs in my day and it wasn't from too much 2nd. hand smoke. I think I was doing a service and alcohol is a great thing for ugly people. No offense to ugly people.

JimHare
11-09-06, 07:00 PM
I think booze causes far more grief & suffering than cigars do.

Once again, Sandy hits the nail on the head.

Of course, we tried outlawing alcohol one time a few decades ago...and you remember how well that worked. Prohibition led to the tremendous growth of organized crime, which was barely a piss in the bucket before 1920...

Sadly, though, the argument isn't about whether or not smoking or any other "vice" is good or bad for you, it's about to what extent are YOU willing to let the government control private behavior? I'm just afraid that, encouraged by the "support" for Draconian smoking bans, it won't be too long before some other sniff-nosed do-gooder gets some groundswell of public opinion in his ass-crack and decides that some other behavior is now deemed "anti-social". Who knows what it may be?

I cringe whenever I hear otherwise seemingly intelligent people say "There should be a law against...."

Governments don't like to NOT pass laws..when you give them the right to incriminate one thing, they will naturally look for other things to do the same to.

Now that trans fat is in everybody's sights, that will be next..who can say how long it will be before sugar gets the axe - or fried foods..or rap music...or unlaced work boots on non-construction workers..or hoodies (you can hide guns in them, you know...)

Scoff now, but 20 years ago, NO ONE would have bet that smoking would be outlawed in bars...

nigelb
11-09-06, 08:13 PM
welcome to the free west, comrade.

in the uk they made us wear seat belts, they took our guns away, you can't smoke in public buildings, we are the most observed country in the world via cctv, my internet and mobile phone is being monitored but get your house robbed and the police don't want to know.

and they still say we have freedom

Kev
11-09-06, 08:54 PM
Second hand smoke kills but in my opinion, not soon enough.
Hah! That reminds me of that old joke about the truck driver who ran from the Arkansas State Trouper until he ran out of fuel. The Trouper asks;
"Didn't you see my lights?"
"Yeah."
"Didn't you hear my siren?"
"Yeah."
"Didn't you see me trying to pull you over?"
"Yeah."
"Why didn't you stop?"
"Last year my wife ran off with an Arkansas State Trouper and I thought you were him trying to give her back!"

Interesting *cough*political*cough* topic .. . *cough*cough*political*cough*

nigelb
11-10-06, 04:11 AM
Interesting *cough*political*cough* topic .. . *cough*cough*political*cough*

is that a 'smokers cough' that you have...?

Elvis
11-10-06, 09:59 AM
tobacco kills.

Rolex
11-10-06, 01:35 PM
tobacco kills.

....slowly, and usually painfully.

heavymetals
11-10-06, 01:44 PM
Here in SoCal they banned smoking on the beach.:thumbsup:

There is nothing worse then an ex-smoker.:rolleyes:

CadillacGurl
11-10-06, 02:14 PM
*sings* you don't always die from tobacco!!!
yeah that annoying commecial with the guy who has a hole in his neck

Elvis
11-10-06, 02:18 PM
There is nothing worse then an ex-smoker.:rolleyes:

A DEAD ex-smoker comes to mind. Everyone eventually quits, one way or the other.

heavymetals
11-10-06, 07:42 PM
Being an ex-smoker, I was nearly gassed when I was in France during the summer.

The odor just bugs the crap out of me.:tisk:

Especialy in a restaurant:thehand:

The French are banning it in more places.:thumbsup:

xxpinballxx
11-11-06, 12:18 AM
you can live to a ripe old age smoking...at least you could in the olden days...John wayne smoked four packs a day of marlboro non-filtered.
I think he had a full life.....

TomDeville
11-11-06, 12:50 AM
May The Duke Rest in Peace.

He was exceptional, even within
this particular context.:cowboy:

Stoneage_Caddy
11-11-06, 12:54 AM
John Wayne's not dead - he's frozen. And as soon as we find the cure for cancer we're gonna thaw out the duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? Have you ever taken a cold shower? Well multiple that by 15-million times, that's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be.
-dennis leary

xxpinballxx
11-11-06, 12:56 AM
Great line stoney ....leary is one the best pissed off comedians....along with Lewis Black.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-11-06, 12:58 AM
there boath my favorites

TomDeville
11-11-06, 01:21 AM
And;
they are both generally correct.

dp102288
11-12-06, 11:44 AM
Leary and Black! Oh man, good people.

I am an on/off smoker, off right now. I really wished I never had my first one, but I'll be okay I think.