: Exhaust size

BIGED
11-08-06, 08:48 AM
I went down to the local muffler shop to get a quote to replace my stock exhaust from the cat coverter back and was thinking of running 3" pipe from the cat to the mufflers but when I metioned this to them I was told that unless the engine was putting out 400 or 500 hp the stock exhaust would be fine and that I would not be gaining anything by running 3" pipe because 3" pipe would allow the exhaust air to cooled before exiting the muffler and by the air being cooler it would be more dense and take more force to be pushed out. Does this make sense. I don't see why he would say not to do it being that he would make more money replacing it all. What do you guys think.

Dadillac
11-08-06, 10:26 AM
If your exhaust is too big in diameter you will lose low end torque. But you will also gain high end HP. You didn't mention which car you have, but normally a 2.5" exhaust works well with the N*.

Don

codewize
11-08-06, 10:48 AM
I guess that would be the technical explanation for why HITMONEY claims to have lost some torque down low and says the car is amazing in the upper RPM range.

Maybe the Corsa isn't a good idea on a street car since you really want the low end torque on the street. Great, more decisions.

1badcaddy
11-08-06, 02:56 PM
Well look at it like this you are running all 8 cylinders through 1 2.5" pipe. and the Ford Mustang 4.6 2v is running dual 2.25" pipes. The Hp is lower on the mustang but has similar torque. They gain a decent amount of Hp and Tq when an aftermarket exhaust is installed with dual 2.5" pipes all mandrel bent. I'm sure if you ran a completly mandrel bent 2.5" with an aftermarket high flow catalytic converter and a properly y-ed dual after the rear wheels you might pick up some Hp and keep the torque. The sound should be awesome if straight through mufflers are used. Anybody have pic of the under side of an STS or Eldorado? I want to see what kind of exhaust we are dealing with.

Submariner409
11-08-06, 03:28 PM
:tisk: Before I launched into a rebuild/upgrade of a 1970 Olds 455 for boat engine use, I read Joe Mondello's treatise on engines and modding. One of his first pieces of advice is "Do no harm". Basically you need to have a baseline to work from. ANY engine mod WILL affect other operating parameters and may well cost you HP, torque, streetability, or worse. Yes, a dyno run can cost bucks, but it will give you the bottom line. If an exhaust mod makes more noise, but costs HP and low-end torque, you've just lost a fair percentage of driveability under most conditions. Another dyno run, after the installation, may just punch a big hole in your investment. Look at the advertised torque/power curves for exhaust systems and you'll see that most mods cost some power down low and gain a bit up top. Unless you drive in 1st and 2nd all day, you'll never realize the "gain". Crackely exhaust systems, except for race cars, use the "Sell the sizzle, not the steak" form of advertising. Take a look at the Corsa site for pictures.

bcs296
11-08-06, 03:33 PM
What is the size of the stock piping on a Northstar?

1badcaddy
11-08-06, 03:52 PM
Exactly my point why a 3" exhaust shouldn't be used on a 4.6L V8. Thats why a high flow 2.5" would be good for this car.

Elmer Fudd
11-08-06, 04:02 PM
because 3" pipe would allow the exhaust air to cooled before exiting the muffler and by the air being cooler it would be more dense and take more force to be pushed out. Does this make sense.
I don’t know whether you would gain with a 3” pipe or not, but the above statement I believe is goofy:

1) With the speed the gases are passing through that pipe at high RPM’s I cannot imagine the heat exchange would be sufficient to affect the gases enough.
2) The gasses in the pipe have only so much mass, that cannot change. If you drop the temperature you will drop the pressure. PV=NRT I can’t believe it will make it harder to push out, you still have X pounds of gas per minute to eject.
3) I don’t know about auto exhaust, but I do know that pushing air through a coal mine, the bigger the passageway, the easier it is for the fans.

eldorado1
11-08-06, 05:20 PM
A single 3" exhaust pipe? Or is this after the split? I'm confused.

I'm running dual 2.5"'s, and you saw my dyno, about 30hp over stock dynos. I attribute at least 15hp to that...

eldorado1
11-08-06, 05:21 PM
because 3" pipe would allow the exhaust air to cooled before exiting the muffler and by the air being cooler it would be more dense and take more force to be pushed out. Does this make sense.

Air isn't honey. It does get denser as it cools, but that says nothing about the viscosity change.

Elmer Fudd
11-08-06, 10:27 PM
Air isn't honey. It does get denser as it cools, but that says nothing about the viscosity change.

Actually the statement you refer to was made by BIGED's muffler shop. I was responding that I though that statement was all wet too. I didn't italicize it at first so I can see how it was confusing.......

danbuc
11-08-06, 11:07 PM
Anybody have pic of the under side of an STS or Eldorado? I want to see what kind of exhaust we are dealing with.

Think F-body.......2-1-2 basically the same setup, just arranged differently under the car.

HITMONEY
11-09-06, 03:15 AM
I guess that would be the technical explanation for why HITMONEY claims to have lost some torque down low and says the car is amazing in the upper RPM range.

And I would do it over again. I wouldn't trade my Corsa for anything.

New Dyno numbers coming soon.

1badcaddy
11-09-06, 03:39 AM
Okay I found a pic of the Corsa exhaust for the 98+ Seville STS.

http://www.madhatterautocenter.com/Corsa/images/cadunassembledsm.jpg

http://www.madhatterautocenter.com/Corsa/images/cadassembledsm.jpg

Pretty Str8 4ward exhaust. It is almost Identical to how my SHO's exhaust is setup. This should be a pretty easy car to make an exhaust for.

codewize
11-09-06, 07:38 AM
I wish exhaust was the kind of thing you could borrow and try :)

I'm gonna end up doing it anyway. What size that that HITMONEY 3" all the way, right?

BIGED
11-09-06, 08:20 AM
Exactly my point why a 3" exhaust shouldn't be used on a 4.6L V8. Thats why a high flow 2.5" would be good for this car.

So are you saying that I should run 2.5 from the cat back and the Y should be 2.5 as well.

dp102288
11-09-06, 08:54 AM
This is great info. I am thinking about an exhaust for my Eldo. :)

eldorado1
11-09-06, 12:09 PM
So you guys are running a single 2.5" exhaust? How does that work? Sounds like one heck of a bottle neck if I ever heard of one...

1badcaddy
11-09-06, 01:23 PM
What does the car come with stock? I'm guessing a both banks are running 2.25" pipes each and they y into a single 2.5" to the back where it its split back off to 2 2.25" pipes that feed the mufflers. That is the way these cars are able to make decent HP and keep the TQ by adding some back pressure to the system. Too free flow and these little V8's will lose TQ. I've had all sorts of custom exhausts made for my different cars and even bought a few off the shelf exhausts. You want something that is a happy medium between both.

That is why I would dupe the fatory system and use all mandrel bent piping SS preferably and use high flow cats, resonators(if nes.) and str8 through mufflers. Thjat should keep the TQ and add some extra top end punch and make it sound wicked.

1badcaddy
11-09-06, 01:25 PM
If you look up at the pics from Corsa that is basically what they did. The main pipe down the center is a 2.5" pipe.

eldorado1
11-09-06, 01:58 PM
What does the car come with stock? I'm guessing a both banks are running 2.25" pipes each and they y into a single 2.5" to the back where it its split back off to 2 2.25" pipes that feed the mufflers. That is the way these cars are able to make decent HP and keep the TQ by adding some back pressure to the system. Too free flow and these little V8's will lose TQ. I've had all sorts of custom exhausts made for my different cars and even bought a few off the shelf exhausts. You want something that is a happy medium between both.

That is why I would dupe the fatory system and use all mandrel bent piping SS preferably and use high flow cats, resonators(if nes.) and str8 through mufflers. Thjat should keep the TQ and add some extra top end punch and make it sound wicked.

Just want to correct some things/terms -

first, NO amount of back pressure is EVER good. Exhaust back pressure will ALWAYS hurt torque and horsepower. Any time you make the engine work harder to remove burnt gases, you will lose power.

Second, with too large of an exhaust, you can lose power and torque - but not because of back pressure, but because of a loss of exhaust velocity.

The trick is to find a good balance between restrictions (backpressure - bad) and exhaust velocity (low - bad).

If you take 2 2.25" pipes, they have the same cross sectional area as one 3.18" pipe. That's probably how it should have came from the factory. Not knowing exactly how the factory exhaust is set up, I bet they sized it down to keep the cat(s) lit up. That's important for passing emissions.

If you're replacing it anyways, go for nothing less than a 3" pipe.

1badcaddy
11-09-06, 04:19 PM
Okay so back pressure was the wrong word but maybe a 3" down the center split off to dual 2.5" pipes for the mufflers might work but will cost allot. If you wanted plenty of top end HP and amazing sound but proably some exaust crackling and pops then you could always have true duals run with dual 2.25" pipes to the mufflers and out with some resonators in the middle kinda like cherry bombs with a minimum length of 12" each. High flow cats would help out too. You could also use a dual in dual out center resonator and keep the pipes run close to each other to fit in the exhaust tunnel to keep it from hanging too low. Just another idea.

This would also be a great high end screamer that would be loud as hell.

CadillacSTS42005
11-09-06, 04:26 PM
i was gonna say man
i work for an exhaust shop i hand built my exhaust and backpressure IS needed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuXoroykgU

eldorado1
11-09-06, 05:30 PM
Exactly why I don't trust shops with my car.

If back pressure ruled, you could get more power with a potato in the tail pipe. Or a clogged cat.

If someone wants to send me $50, I'll stuff rags in my exhaust and put it on the dyno to see if I make more torque.

CadillacSTS42005
11-09-06, 07:16 PM
i didnt say you needed ALOT of it
but a completely free flowing system loses hp
i didnt say anything about making it rediculasly small eldo

1badcaddy
11-09-06, 08:44 PM
Here is a page with flow charts and pipe diameters fro the different year STS's.
Some nice renderings too.

http://www.caddyinfo.com/stsmuffler.htm

CadillacSTS42005
11-09-06, 08:55 PM
exactly what i followed when making my exhaust!

eldorado1
11-09-06, 09:45 PM
The 2.5" single pipe straight to the cat makes a lot of sense to light it up fast after starting. The XLR uses dual cats straight off the exhaust manifolds to do the same. Much less restrictive.

Here's a dyno run of a 2000 C5 switching from stock (dual 2.5"?) to a dual 3" catback... yes, two 3" pipes. For "only" 500hp. You guys have 300hp, and are saying a single 2.5" pipe will cut it?

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/Matt_s%20dyno.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
11-09-06, 10:02 PM
umm
i have 3 inch pipe from the cat back
theres NO room under that car to run a 2nd one

1badcaddy
11-10-06, 01:50 AM
umm
i have 3 inch pipe from the cat back
theres NO room under that car to run a 2nd one

I have never seen the underside of these cars so I don't know how much room there is. SHO's have an almost identical exhaust setup but with smaller diameter pipes. Dual 2" pipes have been run on N/A cars side by side and I have pics to show it.

wkdivr
11-10-06, 06:52 AM
i was gonna say man
i work for an exhaust shop i hand built my exhaust and backpressure IS needed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGuXoroykgU

What all did you use in making your exhaust? I've been thinking about doing my exhaust on my 95 Eldo. Should be close to the same, right?

CadillacSTS42005
11-10-06, 02:53 PM
3 inch pipe
2.5 inch y
2 jones performance exhaust full boar free flow mufflers
2 new camaro z.28 camaro tips

N0DIH
11-10-06, 04:47 PM
Is there a way to make true duals? Just run the pipe for each bank down the middle next to each other? Then add an X-pipe in while you are at it.

If you look at the Corsa system, think of it as a X-pipe that has a 2.5" long middle....

I still like my 99 Suburban 454 exhaust, dual mandrel bent 2.75" stainless (until it hits the single muffler and chokes....). That exhaust is massive for a stock factory system...

CadillacSTS42005
11-10-06, 11:59 PM
you cant do that on an eldorado
theres NO room
also the pipe doesnt come down and go straight out to the back
it bends all the way out toward the passenger side and comes back to the center at the end.

codewize
11-11-06, 12:23 AM
Ok lets reel this thread in and get some facts.

What size is the factory pipe on whatever years we have.

STS =
DTS =

What size is the Corsa system for each whatever years we have

STS =
DTS =

We already have hard proof that there are gains with the Corsa system so it's clear that increasing flow volume does benefit the engine.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 01:50 PM
Corsa never made and never will make an exhaust system for the Eldo
already asked and tried numerious times...

codewize
11-11-06, 01:53 PM
Right, sorry. I will edit my post

Corsa never made and never will make an exhaust system for the Eldo
already asked and tried numerious times...

N0DIH
11-11-06, 02:01 PM
What is difficulty in the exhaust? Is it really that tight underneath?

Oval pipe help?

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 02:15 PM
in the eldos and sevilles (up to 98 Sevilles)
theres no room the pipe bends rather than going straight
and unless you like bottoming out and ripping your exhaust off over speed bumps you cannot run duallys on a 92-02 eldo 94-99 deville and 92-97 seville

eldorado1
11-11-06, 09:44 PM
Somebody should take pics.

There are F bodies running duals, and they originally came single from the factory... and there's "no room" there either.

CadillacSTS42005
11-11-06, 09:52 PM
yea
weve done those
they bottom out all the time
bend the pipes and kink them
anytime you go over a bump or pot hole it BANGS against the floor
its rediculas
and completely stupid
hp is nothing if you cant drive the damn thing
why do you think vettes used side pipes at 1st?

davesdeville
11-11-06, 11:01 PM
With the stock manifolds, crossover, and front Y pipe, you're not going to lose much exhaust scavenging even if you'd have a 8" catback. 2.5" would be pointless, 3" or bigger would be the way to go.

I hate it when people say you need backpressure. Backpressure is the enemy. Exhaust scavenging (closely related to exhaust velocity) is your friend.

Submariner409
11-15-06, 11:52 AM
:bouncy: Just came in from a 40 mile drive after installing a CORSA cat-back on my '02 STS. Perfect! Dead nuts quiet cruise to 80+ on the highway. Part throttle acceleration and tooling around, it's there, but low and grumbly. Punch it at any speed, and AWESOME ! (Don't do it with the local fuzz behind you....) Took me 45 minutes to install and line up, start to finish, including original system removal, on a 4-point chassis lift. Follow the directions and it's sailorproof. Use the anti-seize and run the nuts in and out a couple of times. The whole system is 2 1/2" from the cat to the tips. The original system Y area seems a bit smaller, 2 1/4" maybe. If you look through the mufflers you'd swear there's NO WAY this thing will be quiet, ever. Believe me. CORSA has done their homework on this system.
Going on a 1,700 mile round trip to FL in December......gas mileage and speeding tickets to follow.:alchi:

HITMONEY
11-15-06, 12:03 PM
Right on!

:highfive:

I never get tired of hearing mine, i love it more everyday.

codewize
11-15-06, 03:57 PM
I can't wait to do mine. There one on eBay right now for $899 free shipping. That's the lowest I've seen so far but I just don't have the extra cash right now.

Anyone got a spare grand laying around :( I guess there will be others.

Submariner409
11-15-06, 10:11 PM
HITMONEY... Gainesville, Dec. 23-27. OnStar car phone 410-463-9532. This is more fun than the day the hogs ate grandma..!! I'm not one for flowery praise, but the CORSA system is bitchin'. (And I didn't get a discount). For CODEWIZE, hang in there. You'll be happy, as well as save 25-40 pounds under the stern of your ride.

codewize
11-15-06, 11:37 PM
Really? That's a lot of weight.

Now I have to ask, how is that mounted? Would it be considered sprung or unsprung weight? I guess it would be sprung (hanging on the suspension) right?

I can't wait. Just hearing the Volant everyday makes me want to throw it on a CC and say screw it.

dp102288
11-16-06, 09:51 AM
Sounds great man. Enjoy the new car sounds! I love the speeding tickets anticipation! :rofl:

Submariner409
11-16-06, 06:11 PM
:bigroll: Ummm...lessee. It's unsprung weight, because it's above the suspension and attached to the chassis proper (maybe that's bassackwards...). The system uses the OEM hanger and stud system with 4 rubber cookies, so there's no messing with aftermarket hanger clamps and such. The O2 sensor comes right out...maybe a little PB Blaster shot while you're at it, but don't get any on the element as you pull the sensor out of the pipe boss. Follow the supplied directions, and use a lift ! Get up on a stepladder and sight the final tip installation before torquing the clamps. You won't believe the difference in weight lost and space gained under your ride. BUT the round replacement muffler hangs down an inch or so below the OEM setup. Pay attention to tall speed bumps in your local mall.....You should be able to see the tips move sideways a fraction of an inch if you push. The final qualifier....I've had it 30 hours and I love it ! (So does my wife.....):rolleyes:

HITMONEY
11-17-06, 04:54 AM
:bigroll: Ummm...lessee. It's unsprung weight, because it's above the suspension and attached to the chassis proper (maybe that's bassackwards...).

Yup, backwards. :eek:

It is spung weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

codewize
11-17-06, 09:27 AM
Still 20 - 40 lbs is a lot to get off the car

Submariner409
11-17-06, 03:50 PM
:rolleyes: The actual weight difference between the late '02 STS system and the CORSA is 16 lbs. in favor of CORSA. So much for subjective reporting. Actual measurement today shows the OEM system uses a 2 1/4" o.d. pipe from the muffler to the Y, which necks down to 2" o.d. pipes at the split. Each tip pipe is smaller than 2" o.d. All 3 mufflers are made up of stamped halves, electrowelded with a 3/8" seam all around, and the "weep" holes in the muffler bottoms are showing some rust. The 2 resonators are HUGE. I can't see "through" any muffler 'cause I didn't cut the OEM system apart, in case I didn't like the replacement. So now I'll either store the system in the garage loft or cut it up 'cause I doubt there's much market for an OEM late '02 stock exhaust system from the cat back. And there's NO WAY to ship it anywhere. An OEM replacement system is over $1300, one piece!

stevebuick23
11-18-06, 12:41 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Sexpert/exhaust.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/Sexpert/caddy006.jpg

Submariner409
11-18-06, 06:28 PM
Stevebuick, There sure is a world of difference in nearly everything under a
'97 and '02 STS. The exhaust system I just removed bears practically no resemblance to yours. My muffler to Y pipe is nearly straight down the middle, with just a small zig near the hanger stud. The Y pipe is also totally different, as are the resonators. You guys must use a lot of road salt up there......

eldorado1
11-18-06, 07:45 PM
Tiny pipe and lots of bends....... no good.

dp102288
11-18-06, 08:15 PM
Damn, I never knew it was so damn hard for the gas to get out! And it seems like there is room down the middle from the pic, but I guess not in person.

stevebuick23, thanks for supplying the pic! :thumbsup:

danbuc
11-18-06, 09:14 PM
I'm going to be needing a new cat soon, and am looking for something to match up well with the Corsa. I want the most free flowing cat I can find. I know Magnaflow makes some nice cats, but are there any other companies in particular I should be looking at? Haven't really looked around that much. I think I'm going to replace the pre-cat Y-pipe as well, seeing as how the welds on the flex-joint are almost cracked all the way through. Just curious to see if anyone has any thought on this.

MashBill
11-18-06, 10:58 PM
Hedman Hedders offers a converter. They claim it flows 23% more than OEM.
2-1/2" in/out is part number 13900
3" in/out is part number 13910

stevebuick23
11-18-06, 11:26 PM
Stevebuick, There sure is a world of difference in nearly everything under a
'97 and '02 STS. The exhaust system I just removed bears practically no resemblance to yours. My muffler to Y pipe is nearly straight down the middle, with just a small zig near the hanger stud. The Y pipe is also totally different, as are the resonators. You guys must use a lot of road salt up there......

We do, concidering around 8 months out of the year its frozen up here.

Actually this sunday I'm taking and degreasing the whole underside, then pressurewashing everything out. Then once its dry, I'm going to take some rust inhibiting paint and do the whole underside.

danbuc
11-18-06, 11:49 PM
Hedman Hedders offers a converter. They claim it flows 23% more than OEM.
2-1/2" in/out is part number 13900
3" in/out is part number 13910

Oh yeah, I'll have to take a look at that. Had a set of there exhaust headers on my old '66 Mustang that worked out really well.

I thin I'm gonna give the underside of my car the once over before winter as well. Before hand, I think I'm gonna replace all my brake lines though. They're all rusted up, not a pretty sight. Figure if I'm gonna clean and rust proof, might as well do it with some new stuff under there.

dp102288
11-19-06, 08:10 AM
If you can get some pics of the install, and the finished product, pease post!

So you guys are just going to paint the whole underside of the car? With a brush? Or is it something else? :hmm:

gary88
11-19-06, 02:38 PM
With the Corsa mufflers hanging an inch lower than OEM, can you see them at all when looking at the car from the side?

danbuc
11-19-06, 08:57 PM
You can't really see them that much, they don't hang too low. The only place I've ever had them catch is pulling in and out of my Dad's driveway (the section of sidewalk between the road and driveway is about a 30 degree angle..pretty steep). The Flowmaster system on my Mustang used to catch there too.

1997BlackETC
11-19-06, 11:10 PM
So the Corsa System will not fit the Eldorado, Ive got a '97 etc. Probably the reason the exhaust shop would not do the 3 inch system is because their bender can only accomadate 2.5 max, I have seen this a lot, they try and talk people out of 3 inch giving crazy reasons. If I cant do a corso on my car, I might just go with dual dynomax next spring.

davesdeville
11-20-06, 03:18 AM
^^Find somewhere who will work with 3" prebent pieces.

Submariner409
11-20-06, 09:40 AM
:bigroll: The only way you'll see the main muffler from the side is to lie down and look horizontally. Maybe from a distant side view in a parking lot. As usual, I got the hots to install the system, so no pix on the lift. The first pic is the OEM, then one of a CORSA rear view, lying in the driveway. (I live so far down in the woods we have to pump sunshine in, and our zipcode is E-I-E-I-O:rolleyes: )

dp102288
11-20-06, 10:00 AM
^^ Pretty nice man! :thumbsup:

eldorado1
11-20-06, 02:42 PM
So the Corsa System will not fit the Eldorado, Ive got a '97 etc. Probably the reason the exhaust shop would not do the 3 inch system is because their bender can only accomadate 2.5 max, I have seen this a lot, they try and talk people out of 3 inch giving crazy reasons. If I cant do a corso on my car, I might just go with dual dynomax next spring.

DON'T get "crimp bent" tubing! Mandrel bent only, please!

The pic above of the OEM exhaust speaks volumes.

Submariner409
11-20-06, 08:45 PM
If you want to tie most of this thread together, go to the top of the page and enter "2002 STS exhaust" and/or "Hi Flow Cat Converter" in the Search box. Also, IMHO the '98+ CORSA system looks as if it were OEM, carries a lifetime warranty, meets all emissions requirements, and won't get you a noise ticket unless you get carried away at the wrong time in the wrong place. 3" exhaust tube is overkill for a 279 c.i. daily driver N*. If you want brute power and torque, there's no substitute for cubic inches. The only way to get these small-block FWD platforms into the "performance" realm is to keep up RPM with a 5 or 6 speed transmission (auto 4-speed + convertor lockup sort of works, too) and a steep final drive on a lightweight chassis. The 3.71:1 final in a late '90's+ STS isn't exactly low-rpm cruise at 70 mph. Whether I like it or not, the most economical cruise in that package is around 60 mph. Remember the old Car and Driver performance indicator of "piston feet per mile"? Figure it out using stroke (in decimal feet), RPM, and time/mile. Small engines twist faster.

danbuc
11-20-06, 09:55 PM
:bigroll: The only way you'll see the main muffler from the side is to lie down and look horizontally. Maybe from a distant side view in a parking lot. As usual, I got the hots to install the system, so no pix on the lift. The first pic is the OEM, then one of a CORSA rear view, lying in the driveway. (I live so far down in the woods we have to pump sunshine in, and our zipcode is E-I-E-I-O:rolleyes: )

It's dead sexy isn't it..haha :highfive: Make sure you keep those tips clean. If your car runs a little rich like mine does (understatement of the century right there) they're gonna get black quick. I use Mother's Mag/Aluminum/All purpose metal polish on my. I usually let the car run for a bit before I clean them, so they get hot. Helps the carbon clean off much easier then when the tips are cold.

TripleblackETC
11-20-06, 09:56 PM
What about just swapping the cat and mufflers out with high flows? I've searched high and low for a complete cat back system for a '95 Eldorado with no luck. I don't have the cashflow to have one custom built and was wondering if just swapping out the mufflers and cat would do anything. Insight appreciated.

davesdeville
11-20-06, 11:03 PM
Switching out the mufflers and cat would maybe get you a couple HP and make the car noisier. Having a local shop hook you up with a good 3" pipe system would be worthwhile.

Submariner409
11-21-06, 11:35 AM
Tripleblack......Two of the main problems with an OEM Cadillac system are a combination of economics and grandma. Save your bucks over winter, and do it correctly. Yes, a couple of mufflers and cat might perk things up a bit, but the noise will drive you out of the car. You have a nice ride....don't screw it up with a patchwork system. Heck, custom bent pipes are relatively cheap compared to a good cat and mufflers. Do the whole do.....You'll be a happy camper.

TripleblackETC
11-21-06, 12:25 PM
Tripleblack......Two of the main problems with an OEM Cadillac system are a combination of economics and grandma. Save your bucks over winter, and do it correctly. Yes, a couple of mufflers and cat might perk things up a bit, but the noise will drive you out of the car. You have a nice ride....don't screw it up with a patchwork system. Heck, custom bent pipes are relatively cheap compared to a good cat and mufflers. Do the whole do.....You'll be a happy camper.

Thanks for the insight. I've been reading up a lot on this and you're definitely right. It's worth the extra cash to do the whole system right instead of just the mufflers and the cat.

MrEr1c
11-22-06, 09:46 AM
Heres a suggestion to those of you looking for the musclecar sound. CUT-OUT.

A cut-out right after the last o2 sensor will make your car very loud and if you get an electric one, you can make your car sound stock again whenever you need it to be.

I personally have the corsa system on my '99 sts and i am very happy with it to a point. It's just sometimes i want it to be louder. The problem i am faced with is if i want a cut-out, i will need to hack up the corsa system or i will need to place the cut-out before the last o2 sensor, which would not be very good.

If anyone knows a way to use an o2 eliminator for the last o2 sensor, or anyway to bypass it, please let me know.