: Where can I preorder a Playstation3

snooplbc
11-08-06, 06:12 AM
Please help...i'll die if i don't get one...or even 2 if possible

HushH
11-08-06, 09:27 AM
I think all the pre-orders are done. Your best option now is probably camping out in front of the stores.

slk230mb
11-08-06, 09:29 AM
I think circuit city is taking them later this week.

TagApl4
11-08-06, 09:52 AM
Pre orders filled up in like a week; 5 months ago! :jawdrop: Its projected u cant get one off the shelves till april. Thats 5 months from now :bighead: What to do?

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:02 AM
5 months ago!? Here in cleveland they weren't even opening it to pre-order until October 15th. at most gamestops and EB sotres. Best buy and Circuit city are taking them here but most of them are on their second third and even fourth shipments. I would try hitting a store Sears or walmart before camping out at an electronics store. Find a store that will have them but not as well known. I am lucky to have a very good friend that runs a gamestop. He sets a couple aside soon as they get in for his buddies. Fair....no! Do i care....not really!

slk230mb
11-08-06, 11:22 AM
I just checked, the circuit city and target in my area haven't take any preorders yet.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:25 AM
Tag where are you at that they took them months ago.....
I was under the impression all of the US were waiting for a confirmation on the november release date which didn't come till just a couple months ago.

dp102288
11-08-06, 11:31 AM
I see people selling their pre-ordered PS3s on Craigslist for $2000! Hell no!

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 11:40 AM
some people are fanatcis about it to a point where they need medication!

Blackout
11-08-06, 12:58 PM
1. Why would you want that piece of crap?
2. Pre-orders are done with as far as I know
3. Save yourself a crap load of money and get a X-Box 360. I just got Gears of War yesterday and all I have to say is PS3 better bring something to the table to justify such a big price increase because that game is an absolute gem! BTW Microsoft will be launching a new online service for the 360. It's called X Box live Video. You can download TV shows and movies. At launch (Nov. 22) they will have over 200 hours of HD video and over 800 hours of non-HD video. X Box > PS3

TagApl4
11-08-06, 01:07 PM
check best buy the 17th. early! from canada source might hold true for US also. Called a local BB, they are not taking pre orders, will have them in stock the 17 8am early open 1st come 1st serve.
I'm calling the 24 hr Walmart: Walmart will also have them on the shelves the 17th no pre-orders, 1st come 1st serves, 6am they begin selling. With persistance and dedication u can hit every store and get 1 for sure. Buy 2 the 1st one will be paid for since they are selling on Ebay/Amazon/Craigslist for $2,000.
Boston (eCanadaNow) - Best Buy sold pre-orders for the PS3 online by mistake.

A link to a pre-order form for the Sony PlayStation 3 at BestBuy.com appeared over the weekend and has online consumers scrambling to get their orders through and reserve up their systems for the November 17th launch day.

Best Buy though never intended for consumers to pre-order a PS3 on its website. All pre-orders have been canceled by the retailer.

As a compensation for all of the troubles Best Buy will be giving a $10 coupon to those folks who pre-ordered the system and had their pre-order for their PlayStation 3 consoles canceled.

Best Buy is expecting to have PS3 systems on shelves November 17th and there is no word on any official online BestBuy.com pre-order system.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 01:12 PM
MGS4 is going to make gears of war look coleco-esque!
I'm telling you it will be te best system for probably the next 4 years as far as I can see. the 360 is nice and I have yet to pick up gears of war but am planning on it my next visit to gamestop but have you seen live gameplay of MGS4?
Its amazing...some scenes look like real footage.

railven
11-08-06, 01:29 PM
As an avid gamer I do my best to keep up with the video gaming world. So don't fret just yet but be prepared to wait and by wait I mean WAIT or spend cash out the back.

EBGames/Gamestop [now the same store] have all filled up their onsite pre-orders. They will most likely get less units then they reserved for and those that where lucky enough to get an onsite preorder where most likely told this. They are covering themselves because of the hit they took from the PS2 launch and then the pending lawsuits from the X-Box 360 launches.

EBgames.com/Gamestop.com haven't started taken any reserves yet. They will start taking them sometime next week, Nintendo Wii reserves will start November 9th sometime in the evening, but expect to pay a lot. They will no doubt sell whatever unit they get ina bundle package. As I assumed the Wii packages will cost about $650+ and I don't even know what it brings aside the console, which by itself cost $299 + taxes.

I'm predicting the PS3 bundles to start at about $1,000. That is most likely going to be four games, a second controller, whatever kind of memory unit and a plethora of accessories you'll most likely never use, like a cleaning rag or some crap.

Why PS3 cost more then X-Box 360 one word - Bluray. PS3 will come with HD playback built in. NO needed add-ons. You can run out and pick up some Bluray DVDs and start enjoying 1080p quality, if you have the hardware.

X-Box 360 will be releasing their HD-DVD add on sometime end of November to compete with this feature. Expect to drop an additonal $150-$200 on the upgrade if you want your 360 to be competetive to the PS3 in terms of features.

Aside that its your choice.

Blackout
11-08-06, 02:17 PM
As an avid gamer I do my best to keep up with the video gaming world. So don't fret just yet but be prepared to wait and by wait I mean WAIT or spend cash out the back.

EBGames/Gamestop [now the same store] have all filled up their onsite pre-orders. They will most likely get less units then they reserved for and those that where lucky enough to get an onsite preorder where most likely told this. They are covering themselves because of the hit they took from the PS2 launch and then the pending lawsuits from the X-Box 360 launches.

EBgames.com/Gamestop.com haven't started taken any reserves yet. They will start taking them sometime next week, Nintendo Wii reserves will start November 9th sometime in the evening, but expect to pay a lot. They will no doubt sell whatever unit they get ina bundle package. As I assumed the Wii packages will cost about $650+ and I don't even know what it brings aside the console, which by itself cost $299 + taxes.

I'm predicting the PS3 bundles to start at about $1,000. That is most likely going to be four games, a second controller, whatever kind of memory unit and a plethora of accessories you'll most likely never use, like a cleaning rag or some crap.

Why PS3 cost more then X-Box 360 one word - Bluray. PS3 will come with HD playback built in. NO needed add-ons. You can run out and pick up some Bluray DVDs and start enjoying 1080p quality, if you have the hardware.

X-Box 360 will be releasing their HD-DVD add on sometime end of November to compete with this feature. Expect to drop an additonal $150-$200 on the upgrade if you want your 360 to be competetive to the PS3 in terms of features.

Aside that its your choice.lol. I guess you haven't been paying attention to much of anything PS3 related as of late. Basically anything for the PS3 will be delayed. The PS3 fanboys crapped on the 360's launch saying that there wasn't any killer app for the launch but after going to my local Gamestop yesterday and checking out what the PS3 will have for launch it basically has the same games the 360 had. There is also a rumor floating around that MGS4 might also come to the 360 as well and supposedly there is a working version of it as well. But it is nothing more then a rumor at this point so who really knows. And if you haven't played Gears of War then I would suggest playing it first. The PS3 will be the downfall of the Sony. Too much crap too early. The Blu-Ray isn't a industry standard so they are hoping and praying that it succeeds because if not it will be nothing more then a paper weight. More companies are pulling out of the Blu-Ray market and one major supporter in LG has decided to scrap making a a Blu-Ray player. Here's the article

LG Second Guessing Blu-Ray?

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news...alers_Show/337

Blu-ray's hardware woes appeared to continue yesterday at LG's annual dealers show in Orlando, Florida, where a previously announced Blu-ray player for 2007 was nowhere to be found.

Addressing questions about the lack of Blu-ray products at the show, LG product development director Tim Alessi had this to say:

"We have heard and read about a lot of delays [of Blu-ray product releases]," he said. "We recognize the huge opportunity but we will provide an announcement when the time is right."

Alessi later clarified his earlier statement. "I didn't say we weren't going to have a [Blu-ray] player. I just said we aren't going to announce it today. We are going to continue to look at all aspects of the market to come up with the best solution."

The LG Vice President's comments come on the heels of two Blu-ray player release delays in the last two weeks -- Sony's BDP-S1 Blu-ray player and Pioneer's BDP-HD1 Blu-ray player.

And while neither Sony nor Pioneer specified a reason for the delay in releasing their players, as early as this past August there were unconfirmed reports that a shortage of blue laser diodes could result in shipment delays for new players. Sony pointed to this shortage as the reason it halved and delayed launch shipments of its Blu-ray powered PlayStation 3 game console.

Asked when LG might unveil plans for their first player, Alessi indicated optimism that they would have a solution by CES in January.So there is all of 3 Blu-Ray players and of course one of them is from Sony. The PS3 wil not come with HDMI cables so you will not get the full Blu-Ray experience straight out of the box so you will need to go out and spend an additional $50 just to be able to use Blu-Ray to its potential. At this point Sony will say anything to make the PS3 look good. Hell they are saying its the "PC killer":rofl: Check out the Sony Press Release

Sony Press Release (A Comparison Fact Sheet):

Fact Sheet (http://www.engadget.com/videos/Next-Gen_Comparison%20FINAL.doc)

And this engaget Article:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/sony_chart1.jpg

Ok, here's a new one: with Sony's announcements today they've issued a titled "Next-generation Console Comparison Fact Sheet," (downloadable here [DOC]) so let's see some facts. First up, were you aware that to use your Xbox 360 Core system you're required to buy the 20GB drive add-on, an HD DVD drive, a wireless controller, and an Xbox Live sub? We weren't either. But hey, it says right there, "requires users to buy" and this is, in fact, a "fact sheet." Of course, none of that's actually true, and what's more, were one to use the Xbox 360 Premium console pack in that chart instead of the Core pack, the total would be $399 for a console with that very same hard drive, wireless controller, and Xbox Live Silver subscription (which provides access to everything but multiplayer) -- remember, kids, an HD DVD drive is not required to do anything but watch high def movies -- it has nothing to do with high def gaming. We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action, namely because it could be misleading to otherwise unwitting retail employees selling customers game consoles this holiday season. Go figure.

P.S. -In the interest of fairness, it's also worth pointing out the Wii browser is what will cost you after the first 6 months -- not their online service. What's more, if you download the browser before June of 2007, it's straight up free. Otherwise, Nintendo hasn't yet announced details of the cost of their online service so far as we know. Another nice one, Sony.

P.P.S. -We just confirmed with Microsoft that another Sony claim -- that you need a memory unit or a hard drive to use the WiFi adapter -- is also false. You can grab a Core pack with no memory card and plug in a WiFi adapter and get on your home network. Sheez Sony, did we mention we moonlight as fact checkers?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/10/sony_chart2.jpg
Way to go Sony! It's bad enough your stock is going down the shitter, having a battery recall that hit 9.6 million affected units and pending law suits from the computer companies that used your batteries and now your making claims that aren't even true! My favorite saying from the Sony Press Release Article from Engaget is this:

We hear Microsoft ain't too happy about this chart either and is preparing certain legal action, namely because it could be misleading to otherwise unwitting retail employees selling customers game consoles this holiday season. Go figure.

Yeah...Sony you are very, very, very dumb for giving Microsoft a Reason to bring you to court. Dumbasses...you would think that Sony would not mess with a company (legally speaking) that loves to anally FU*K people in court....including the government. That is like taking a Tobacco Industry leader to court...They have more money than you, more lawyers, more legal practice, and thus makes you fu*ked.

Go Sony GO! If I was Nintendo I would sue Sony over the Online Internet Access thing too..just for spite. On top of it the PS3 isn't as powerful as the 360. The PS3 RSX chip will suffer in raw polygon performance, managing to push 275 million triangles p/second, compared to the 500 million+ possible on the Xbox 360. Further still, it appears that the CELL processor is handicapped with a local memory read bandwidth of ~16MB p/second. Developers on the PS3 will have to work around such a design constraint. If you want I can go on and on as to how the PS3 is just a very very over hyped gaming system that will bomb big time

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 02:25 PM
well railven is right on the bluray but thats not the only difference.
the graphics processors are different and in my opinion the 550 Nvidia is better than the 500 ATI
He ability to have dual output is another plus for me at least. I have a projector and a 52 inch LCD and my wife sometimes won't let me take over the Big screen so I need to have the ability to have it on either screen at any time without the constant getting up changing the cables and what not.
they are both surround 5.1 and both have the wifi.
the ps3 has 3.2GHz Cell w/ 7 SPEs 2.0 tflops and the xbox has 3.2 with 3 cores and only 1 tflop.
Also the output on the xbox 360 is 1080i and on the PS3 1080p.
Not sure how I feel about the controllers....
PS3 has 7 ports to use 2.o bluetooth and the xbox has 4 with RF.
my experience with Bluetooth I am not sure I like the idea of it. Overall I like the PS3 and feel its going to be worth the extra duckets to get one. Plus I like the idea of SOny. Just going on history they will have a ton of games and I'm all about choices!

Rey Rey 650
11-08-06, 02:26 PM
Good thing i never got into this gaming stuff...My last console was a N64....My younger bros will probably get this....

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 02:33 PM
if your like me and just buy them all I asm sure you'll find pros and cons in each one. I'll be getting and wii and a PS3 on release day. Thanks to Jay-diggity from Gamestop!

TagApl4
11-08-06, 02:52 PM
I hope my roomate is not reading any of this, because he is the one buying the console not me.

Blackout
11-08-06, 03:05 PM
well railven is right on the bluray but thats not the only difference.
the graphics processors are different and in my opinion the 550 Nvidia is better than the 500 ATI
He ability to have dual output is another plus for me at least. I have a projector and a 52 inch LCD and my wife sometimes won't let me take over the Big screen so I need to have the ability to have it on either screen at any time without the constant getting up changing the cables and what not.
they are both surround 5.1 and both have the wifi.
the ps3 has 3.2GHz Cell w/ 7 SPEs 2.0 tflops and the xbox has 3.2 with 3 cores and only 1 tflop.
Also the output on the xbox 360 is 1080i and on the PS3 1080p.
Not sure how I feel about the controllers....
PS3 has 7 ports to use 2.o bluetooth and the xbox has 4 with RF.
my experience with Bluetooth I am not sure I like the idea of it. Overall I like the PS3 and feel its going to be worth the extra duckets to get one. Plus I like the idea of SOny. Just going on history they will have a ton of games and I'm all about choices!How are they going to develop a game that can write to the cached memory at some Terabyte per second, but can only read from it at 16 Megabytes per second.

30+ minute Load Times....hahahahahaha. Check these awesome numbers out

http://www.theinquirer.net/images/articles/PS3_memory_bandwidths.jpg
Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32171
I love what they say at the end of the article

You end up with a console with half the triangle setup rate of the 360, a crippled CPU that is a bitch to program, and tools that are atrocious compared to the 360. To make matters worse, you have an arrogant set of execs telling us that twice the price is worth it for half the power, a year late. If it isn't already too late, Sony had better do something about this recto-cranial inversion or it may very well sink the console

Sony used to be the leader in the video game industry and now they are the followers.
Is Sony putting in the "Motion Sensing" Controller at the last minute into PS3 Sony leading or following?
Is Sony Offering Online Gameplay Sony leading or Following?
Is Sony losing the Dual-Shock feature on the PS3 leading or following (or getting smacked down for copy-right infringement)?
Is Sony using that root scheme on CDs Sony Leading or Following...or just being plain old STUPID?
What can Sony be up to?

They cannot have graphics higher than 1080p (which is only slightly better than 1080i, unless you have a HUGE screen, 61"+).

They cannot have anything better than Dual-Layer Blu-Ray.

The specs of the Cell can't be any better than they listed them, and rumor is that they cannot even meet some of those.

Thier online system is up to the Third-Party Developers...which mean unlike Nintendo and Microsoft, each time you play an online game you have to give your Credit Card Information out again, instead of using a single account. This also means that everyone can do it differently. Source (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gta/gta-creator-not-hip-to-sonys-online-service-199251.php)

Sony is claiming their system to be the "new" PC replacement, anything else they claim it can do, you probably can do on a real PC....for LESS money.

They lost Dual-Shock, so any 'surprise' Dual-Shock functionality, will just get them sued again.

The reason Microsoft is releasing Halo around the same time as PS3 is because they know Sony is standing on the Edge of the Empire State Building, and why wait for them to stumble when you can legally push them off. Nintendo is doing the same thing. Except they are also targeting the non-gaming community.

Rumor also has it (Source (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/mole-sony-has-no-more-ps3-test-kits-199008.php)) that Sony is not handing out any more Development Kits...which means no additional Third-Party Support for Launch.

Son'y Music sales are falling, Sony's Movie sales are falling, Sony's Electronics Sales are hurting, and Sony has spent Billions on the development of Blu-Ray and PS3. This is where they are resting all their eggs...in a hand-basket bound for HELL.

I may hate Microsoft more than I hate Sony, but I repsect Microsoft and how they do what they do.

Blackout
11-08-06, 03:57 PM
More hits against Sony

http://www.playfuls.com/news_7071_Sony_Doesnt_Even_Have_Dev_Kits_Anymore.h tml

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3295

As Sony's PlayStation 3 console nears its official release, more focus has turned to the technical wizardry that lays inside the actual machine. The Cell processor, developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, has gained a great deal of attention over the last year. In an interview with Electronic News however, IBM vice president of Semiconductor and Technology Services Tom Reeves says that his company is lucky if it can get 10% to 20% yields on the Cell processor.

The Cell processor is so complex that IBM even accepts chips that have only four out of the eight cores working. Not all cores end up functional says Reeves. In regards to why the yields are so low, Reeves says "[defects becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you’re lucky to get 10 or 20 percent. If you put logic redundancy on it, you can double that." According to Reeves, Sony will be using Cell processors whether they have all cores functional or not. Reeves says that the PlayStation 3 requires at least seven of the eight cores operational

Blackout
11-08-06, 04:03 PM
Here's some info about the lower end version of the PS3
Source: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060509-6781.html

On the eve of the annual E3 Expo, Sony has given us an official price and release date for the PlayStation 3. Let's talk price first. Much like the Xbox 360, the PS3 will come in two flavors: a tricked out system for US$599 and one with fewer features for US$499 (Europeans will pay ?599 and ?499). Ouch.

The more expensive system will include a 2.5" 60GB hard drive, 4 USB 2.0 ports, a memory card reader, built-in 802.11b/g, Bluetooth 2.0, support for HD displays up to 1080i and 1080p, one HDMI output, AV output, and digital optical output. That's a nice bundle.

[b]In contrast the cheaper system has a 20GB hard drive, loses the memory card reader, the WiFi support, and here's the biggie, the HDMI output. So if you're planning to rely on the PS3 to play Blu-ray movies, you may not have the experience you hoped for due to the lack of a protected output path on the lower-end model.[b/]

gary88
11-08-06, 04:43 PM
I've lost all faith in Sony. I used to be a Playstation fan and planned on buying a PS3, but then I read up on the Xbox 360 and bought one in February. Haven't looked back since :thumbsup:

Hey Blackout whats your gamertag? I got Gears of War yesterday, amazing game. Might be getting COD3 soon too.

Blackout
11-08-06, 04:54 PM
my tag is dave82083 but I'm rarely on anymore. I used to play online all the time at my gf's house but since I'm back at home now our router is encrypted and nobody seems to know the password so my 360 won't connect. But I am working on getting a seperate connection but I dunno if that will work or not

Adam
11-08-06, 09:16 PM
im on a list for them to hold one for me on the 17th. also paid a few $$ in advance. cant wait. im not a gamer by any means. i just like Playstations and this one is gonna be hard to get a hold of. the nerds around here are already setting up camping equipment. haha, its like when the PSP came out.

Blackout
11-08-06, 09:19 PM
im on a list for them to hold one for me on the 17th. also paid a few $$ in advance. cant wait. im not a gamer by any means. i just like Playstations and this one is gonna be hard to get a hold of. the nerds around here are already setting up camping equipment. haha, its like when the PSP came out.And look at those now. They can't give the damn things away. More doesn't mean better. Ask Nintendo

Adam
11-08-06, 09:21 PM
huh? up until about 2 months ago the price finally dropped to 200 and that is just for a PSP and a charger. i spent almost 350 when i bought all my games and a case and everything.

railven
11-08-06, 10:55 PM
Wow if Blackout isn't a X-Box fanboy then I don't know what is.

You can go onto Google and type Playstation 3, Sony, Emotion Engine, etc etc and you'll find ample things against Sony. Is that new? No. Sony has been taking hits since as long as I can remember.

As I've said in many arguements before you can't compare PS3 to X-Box 360 to Wii. They are all built differently with a different target audience.

Wii is going for a whole new audience with the Wii-mote. It is trying to simply games from the constant smacshing of buttons. Baseball fans would love Wii when they can just swing their Wii-mote instead of pressing Triangle or the white. It has no HI-DEF features whats so ever. Its a revamped GC.

X-Box is aiming more towards the online gaming group. You take X-Box live away from it you got nothing but another PS2. Their Live network costs them millions of dollars and they've still to see huge profits from their investment. Yeah its catching up but they are still selling units at a lost. 360 is still a gaming console and thats what its intended for.

PS3 is being targeted at the luxury geeks. It is a gaming console, it can play new, yeah not standard yet lets see if Sony picks the right pony this time and doesn't pull another BETA, high definition content out of the box, and note 360's don't come with the component cables either you have to buy those too, it will have Wi-Fi features, if you buy the deluxe version, BlueTooth, multi card features, surround sound, etc etc. This thing is being aimed to be stuck at the center of a high def setup not a 32" LCD wall mounted in your bedroom.

You link Kotaku as if that meant anything. I stopped reading their online articles a long time ago.

There are no real time benches for the system yet. Everything is only on paper. PS2 VS X-Box, X-Box's spec devour PS2's but who came on top? Shoot look at the Intel vs AMD information. Intel's raw numbers devoured AMD but AMD outperformed them just about every corner.

You can read and read and read everything you want. It doesn't mean a thing until you see it performing infront of you.

Since PS3 will have Blu-Ray native they will have a large capacity for gaming content. 360 still will be using DVD unless their partners decide to use the HD-DVD feature assuming all 360 owners will have it.

You can compare PS3's gyroscope to Wii's motion sensor but note they are not the same. I will agree it was tacky of Sony to announce that literally moments after the Wii-mote but they are still insanely different technologies.

The Dual Shock fiasco is rediculious in my eyes. Sony doesn't have to use that specific feedback feature they can re-invent one. You can't say the action of force feedback is copyrighted because I'll throw Nintendo, Logitech, **** cell phones into the hat. They just need one rumble motor that does only one RPM speed. That way they can't get sued.

If I sound like a Sony fanboy it maybe be because I'm tired of people referring to online sources that are based purely on speculation. If you read the "hands-on" reviews they are all positive.

On paper you'd assume a 2.4GHz processor would out perform a 1.8GHz but when everything comes to work who'd have thought the 1.8Ghz was about 35% faster.

Wow using the having to buy an HDMI cable as an arguement...thats insane. You can't buy any DVD player that will bring you solid component cables unless you get a bundle. The first thing I do when I buy most A/V hardware is toss the awful included cables and pick up some Monsters.

Either way I'm eager to see who comes out on top Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Of which they both have almost equal studios backing them up.

[Sorry for no links for references my break is over.]

gary88
11-09-06, 12:50 AM
Actually 360 does come with component cables in the Premium ($399) package, you get composite cables with the core ($299).

railven
11-09-06, 01:00 AM
I stand corrected, thanks Garry88 I'll make sure to remember that.

Blackout
11-09-06, 09:42 AM
Actually 360 does come with component cables in the Premium ($399) package, you get composite cables with the core ($299).Tis true. I have the premium package and the plug has a switch on the side for regular TV's and HDTV's. And railven most of the info I have looked at is stuff directly from Sony or a company that has helped build the PS3 so it's not like I'm pulling crap outta my ass. We've been having a year long discussion on this on another board I am on and one of the guys on there has a insider for Sony so we've been finding stuff out about the PS3 for awhile now

railven
11-09-06, 09:54 AM
If you have an inside source then that is more information then a commoner would have.

I've lost my loyalties in the business world. AMD buying ATI, Intel losing the CPU war for the last half decade, and Sony/EA changing gaming from a fun interactive environment to blockbusters with no real drive, similar to the movie industry.

I'll keep buying my consoles, as a collector, and I'll play the one that has the best games. Sony has held my attention with their exclusives releases. I don't need to play Splinter Cell on X-Box if its on PS2 now. My GC will always have Chronicles/Mario [insert sport] ready for when company comes over and the only thing I own an X-Box is for Halo and Gotham since frankly they got nothing else that my computer doesn't already have and can do better.

Gears of Wars does looking promising though. I loved the bloom effect, sold me on the game, but I'm not a huge man of that kind of genre. MGS4 is more my angle.

I'm still going to bet on Sony. THe feature list is enough to make any tech-geek squeel. And even normal every day people will find this equation more promising:
Blu-Ray DVD player $800+
HD-DVD player $500+
X-Box 360 + HD-DVD add-on $500+
Playstation 3 with Blu-Ray $600+

For a few $100 more you get surround sound, wi-fi, multicard reader, a feature integration of your PSP [does your inside info confirm hooking up your PSP to your PS3 as GC and GBA?], and the online music store that will feature something similar to iTunes and allowing your PSP to download music etc etc.

If Sony works it right they can capitalize on a huge audience, not just gamers anymore.

dp102288
11-09-06, 10:12 AM
I love the ps3 read/write times pic "this isn't a typo"! :rofl;

The base ps3 package won't come with hdmi? How much cost cutting will they actually do? Instead of a step down, its is actually punishing the buyers of the base package.

railven
11-09-06, 10:18 AM
Core packages are an insult in my opinion. But they are today's standards.

I'm surprised they didn't have an Extreme package.

Core - gimped hardware with something vital missing just to tease a perspective audience. If they bite money spent to meet standard package is profits.

Standard - give them what they want and charge them a good price for it too.

Extreme/Enthusiast - overclock just about everything you can and charge them twice as much...oh and slap a "Limited Edition" badge on the box.

I've fallen for that before. ATI and the X800 series video card. The XT PE is literally only a few clocks faster, overclocked, but had a $100+ more price tag.

Blackout
11-09-06, 12:46 PM
Another thing Sony is doing by shooting itself in the foot is the launch itself. Japan is Sony's biggest market but yet for the launch Japan will only get 100,000 units while the US will get 400,000. Out of the 400,000 units for the US I think it was like 80% of them will be the $600 version.

I was reading over an article and I thought this was interesting as well

In the interview, Reeves also talks about failure rate as there is a possibility that one of the cores in the Cell will "blow" at any given time. Reeves says that usually, testing during fabrication stages will detect whether a core or more will be problematic. Using electrical "fuses", IBM can "blow" out a core during wafer testing. When asked what would happen if a 7-core PlayStation 3 ends up losing another core during operation, Reeves stated that the user would simply send the unit back for replacement. Unfortunately, this only applies if the console is still under warranty -- if it isn't, the console is dead.

I also saw this and thought it was pretty funny

http://www.wii60.com/uploads/1612.jpg

Also 1080p will be coming to the Xbox 360 as well

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060920-7790.html

1080p coming to the 360
Oh, the magic of software updates! It turns out that the Xbox 360 can do 1080p, and it will do 1080p after a software update to be released later this year. This update will enable full 1080p output, but few televisions even support true 1080p. Many so-called 1080p displays actually take the 1080i signal and "upconvert."

However, the Xbox 360 does not have an HDMI output, meaning that it will not be possible to view HD DVDs in 1080p. The highest resolution of both Blu-ray and HD DVD requires HDMI by design.

In terms of games, we do not expect to see any games produced explicitly for 1080p resolution. The Xbox 360 will be able to upscale 720p content to 1080p, however, so users with fully loaded TVs can take advantage. As such, 1080p on the Xbox 360 isn't exactly earth shattering, but it is a nice bonus for a system that was never sold with the promise of a resolution upgrade.

Also Sony lost exclusive's such as their biggest money maker GTA and now that is cross platformed as well as the Resident Evil games. Also the next Gran Tourismo is a pay to play setup

GT:HD to be Pay to Play (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060921-7802.html)

Besides the graphical improvements, the major news about GT:HD revolves around the online portion of the game. The game starts out with no cars or tracks loaded. Players can purchase cars for ¥50-100 (about $0.45 to $0.85) and courses for ¥200-500 ($1.70 to $4.30). Online race events are defined by the players themselves, and can be held at any time. Initially, over 750 cars and 50 tracks will be made available, with additional releases to come over time. There are also plans for "limited edition" car and track downloads, which will likely be priced higher.
I can see the Forza 2 slogan now: "There's an entire game in the box!"

Blackout
11-09-06, 12:47 PM
Both Sony and IBM have confirmed that PS3 only requires 7 of the 8 Cell Cores to function to work properly.

IBM has stated that most PS3 Cell are being shipped to Sony with 7 or 8 working Cores. And that until later next year when the Manufacturing processor is perfected, they will not be completely 8 Core, and will still be prone to failure...look above for my post that stated this.

Also not that the Chip will be changing from 90nm to 65nm (or something) next year. I cannot remember the exact details.

railven
11-09-06, 01:13 PM
A transition from 90nm to 65nm, the size of the die chip, will reduce production costs which means they will either pass the saving to the consumer, as they did with PS2 when they incorporated both the PS1 chipset and the PS2 chipset onto one chip rather then two.

As I said having one core fail isn't really that important. If you take into consideration how many first issue products fail, or have some kind of flaw, and then base a decision on that nothing will ever move. Don't forget 360's first line had power failures that actually caused fires. Did that stop the sales or people's negative/positive feedbacks?
"My X-Box 360 just blew up but it still rocks!"
"My X-Box 360 just melted a whole in the floor what a POS!"

Use the cars from Cadillac. I've read about a bad engine in the 80's mode, was it the 4100, that not many fans liked but they still stuck with the company.

If one core fails, of 8, and the processing power is still as expected whats wrong? They don't have a product line like Intel/AMD. If Intel's 2.8GHz die fails at bench they just market it at the fasting speed it was stable at, ie a 2.4/2.6GHz die. Does that mean the product is inferior/unstable? No.

So ask yourself this a PS3 running on only 7/8 cores VS a 360 that some articles claim have already reached its processing potentional and yet the PS3 is turning heads. Imagine when that 8th core is rock solid, the cores are on 65nm, thus more yield per waffer, and your PS3 is about $100 less then original price. It looks better.

1080P on X-Box won't sell. The system wasn't designed to upscale image quality so high. I predict it will take a performance hit, and I'll wager it will be from the second GPU that does the 2xAA. I know the current PS3 images are jagged to hell, but I've gotten so use it. My computer spoils me with 6xAA/16xAF and if I had the money I'd go with a Crossfire setup with 8xSAA but thats later. When you add on a feature that the system wasn't intentionally designed for something has to give. You will use up more processing power, example would be computer games bumping up the resolution from 640x480 to say 1024x768 would demand a good chunk of more power from either the GPU or the CPU.

I know about GT:HD and I hate it. But money is money in the corporate world. I'm sure once they see the backlash it has stirred they might change it back to something say you pay for the game and it brings a handful of tracks and cars. Then go online and add stuff as you wish. But again that is the corporate world and we, the consumers, usually get screwed. I'd pay a premium if what I got was better quality. I don't want GT4 graphic cars costing me 1.50 each, they better give me something with it like a video, or some real high-def graphics and virtual tour but who knows only time will tell that story.

I doubt, highly, that Sony will let its record get marred more by a broken PS3. If you use the example of the dead batteries they stepped in and gave all those involved a new battery. It cost them money but they ponied up to their fault. Microsoft was kind enough to replace any damaged early 360's. Why? They only had like under 500,000 units with that fault. PS3 won't even hit that many units in the US. So you get your system out there, take a profit hit for every unit you sell, pray that only say 10% of your units fail, reimburse, and wait for the trend to hit or miss, betting for a hit. If only one kid gets it per neighborhood it will generate huge demand that come Christmas if Sony has their plant and process in synch they can cash in greatly.

When you become a fan of anything, cars, computers, whatever, you'll come to learn the first line is always overpriced, buggy, and sometimes not even worth the headache but you still want it. I praise those people, like my friend, who can wait half a year for something to drop price and has most bugs fixed. I'm the kid in line with his copy of X-PRODUCT in line waiting to take it home the day it was released only to learn I have to wait for something, either a patch, a cable, or etc, to use it for what I truly want.

EDIT: I wanted to address the thing about the Japan versus US release. Sony knows the Japanese market will devour it. I think they are trying to push the product more in the US, because of greater competition from Microsoft, then in Japan. Wii will probably own the Japanese market because Japan loves Nintendo. I think Sony is smart by introducing the most units in a place where it has more to lose, ie US, because chances are their second batch will produce more units for the Japanese market and proabably in flavors, I still want a red PS2...sniff.

Second Edit: Note that GTA is now released across most platforms and it still sells most on PS2 then Xbox/PC. Sony has a larger fanbase. With that kept in mind if say GTA5 is released on all platforms on the same day chances are Sony will still cash in the most. But that is a whole other subject because GTA didn't give PS2 its success nor did the RE series. Shoot if you remember Nintendo signed an exclusive 5-year contract with Capcom for RE, I believe 00-05, and Sony didn't even get a RE game until RE: Outbreak, which sucked. Devil May Cry cashed in more money for Capcom then RE-remake and RE:Zero did for GC. RE4 was the return of the series to greatness and it was on GC only before the contract expired then brought over to PS2 with new content and Hi-def which caused the game to sell exceedingly well on PS2 too.

[I know I got tons of errors in spelling and grammar, my apologies.]

P-Funk
11-09-06, 01:51 PM
I doubt, highly, that Sony will let its record get marred more by a broken PS3. If you use the example of the dead batteries they stepped in and gave all those involved a new battery. It cost them money but they ponied up to their fault. Microsoft was kind enough to replace any damaged early 360's. Why? They only had like under 500,000 units with that fault. PS3 won't even hit that many units in the US. So you get your system out there, take a profit hit for every unit you sell, pray that only say 10% of your units fail, reimburse, and wait for the trend to hit or miss, betting for a hit. If only one kid gets it per neighborhood it will generate huge demand that come Christmas if Sony has their plant and process in synch they can cash in greatly.

Sounds like you are taking a swipe at Microsoft here for no reason. You say they replaced them because "they only had like under 500,000 units with that fault". So you don't think they would have fixed them if more had it?

Also, if Sony would not have stepped in and given new batteries to the ones that were "dead" (how about starting fires instead of just being dead?), they would have had more than just the public (average, everyday Joe) on them. They would have had big, powerful companies with good lawyers on them. They had no choice.

Just my $.02

fast66
11-09-06, 02:44 PM
The PS3 are gonna mess up real badly, these companies like to shove their products into the market without completely testing them

My 360 got broke for no reason, then i sent it in,

came back and broke again 2 weeks later, sent it back in again

Its at microsoft at the moment but hopefully i get it back this weekend cause i wanna play call of duty 3 and gears of war(i love the commercial).

the only system that i bet will last without breaking is the wii.

railven
11-09-06, 03:26 PM
Sounds like you are taking a swipe at Microsoft here for no reason. You say they replaced them because "they only had like under 500,000 units with that fault". So you don't think they would have fixed them if more had it?

Also, if Sony would not have stepped in and given new batteries to the ones that were "dead" (how about starting fires instead of just being dead?), they would have had more than just the public (average, everyday Joe) on them. They would have had big, powerful companies with good lawyers on them. They had no choice.

Just my $.02

Microsoft corrected the problem with the faulty power supplies I believe in their third shipment, but I think some articles said it was the second. Regardless what shipment it was their first shipment was short, less then what expected which is what caused a few lawsuits against EBgames/Gamestop stores that took reserves, so it wasn't a swipe. It would have been a swipe, and untruthful, had I said "all their units." It was only their initial launch that had faults you can go to a store now and pick up a 360 knowing it won't cause a fire.

And yeah Sony would have had to see a lawsuit. In fact Sony is probably still going to see a lawsuit. If a laptop burned up and scalded someone you think giving them a free battery will clear this up? No, lawsuit pending. Sony went and gave new batteries to anyone who had the old one. It was to prevent a lawsuit and to keep a good public image. The same reason they pulled ads in freaking Holland. Just to please people who have something to say. The battery fiasco is done, they can't take it back, but they can work to prevent such things. They had a choice. Sony could have been a corporate jerk, as Microsoft was with the monopoly lawsuits, but they didn't even deny anything was wrong, ala Rockstar, just accepted it and paid out the damages.

This happens to just about every large corporate machine. You can't please them all and along the way someone will get hurt.

I'm not defending Sony as a fanboy. I sort of hate the turn their audio devision has gone. I just defend them because people tend to read something on a game site and then assume it is factual and the system hasn't even been launched or available for gaming site hands on review, outside of a small demo at an expo.

P-Funk
11-09-06, 04:01 PM
Microsoft corrected the problem with the faulty power supplies I believe in their third shipment, but I think some articles said it was the second. Regardless what shipment it was their first shipment was short, less then what expected which is what caused a few lawsuits against EBgames/Gamestop stores that took reserves, so it wasn't a swipe. It would have been a swipe, and untruthful, had I said "all their units." It was only their initial launch that had faults you can go to a store now and pick up a 360 knowing it won't cause a fire.

If you would have said all of their units, it wouldn't be a swipe but a lie (or untruthful as you said, same difference). It is a swipe to say that they fixed it because only 500,000 of their units had the problem. That implies that if more had the problem then they would not have fixed it. Maybe I am seeing something that you didn't intend but just pointing out what I saw.

As for the anti-monopoly suits against Microsoft, I don't blame them for doing what they did. Why would I as a consumer want them to not provide a product for free with their software but instead have to pay for it? If I want something else, I am free to go buy something else but if I can get something adequate and free, I'd prefer the free thing. If they had made it so that Windows would not accept other software (such as other media players), then I think there could be a case against them.

Blackout
11-09-06, 04:15 PM

And yeah Sony would have had to see a lawsuit. In fact Sony is probably still going to see a lawsuit. If a laptop burned up and scalded someone you think giving them a free battery will clear this up? No, lawsuit pending. Sony went and gave new batteries to anyone who had the old one. It was to prevent a lawsuit and to keep a good public image. The same reason they pulled ads in freaking Holland. Just to please people who have something to say. The battery fiasco is done, they can't take it back, but they can work to prevent such things. They had a choice. Sony could have been a corporate jerk, as Microsoft was with the monopoly lawsuits, but they didn't even deny anything was wrong, ala Rockstar, just accepted it and paid out the damages.

This happens to just about every large corporate machine. You can't please them all and along the way someone will get hurt.

I'm not defending Sony as a fanboy. I sort of hate the turn their audio devision has gone. I just defend them because people tend to read something on a game site and then assume it is factual and the system hasn't even been launched or available for gaming site hands on review, outside of a small demo at an expo.The thing that I have yet to hear you mention is that for all the people that paid money to get their 360's fixed Microsoft paid them all of their money back
http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/xbox/breaking-refunds-for-xbox-repairs-plus-warranty-extension-confirmed-202168.php

We've made the decision to comp repairs for consoles manufactured before January 1, 2006, and provide refunds to the small group of customers who have already paid for repairs." I've also heard informally that you may not need to produce a receipt after all. The serial number probably tells them everything they need to know about the unit.

Extreme distrust reigns in this Xbox.com forum thread about a brand new decision from on high: all Xboxen purchased prior to January 1st, 2006 are getting a free one-year warranty extension, but that's not all. Anyone who paid to have one of the older units repaired will be refunded their $140 via a fat check from Microsoft.

Call 1-800-4my-xbox to cash in. Have your console on your lap so you can give them the serial numbers. However, you must have your original receipt.

Another nice feature that the 360 has is the ability to make your own games
http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/

Blackout
11-09-06, 04:27 PM
If one core fails, of 8, and the processing power is still as expected whats wrong?Whats wrong is that a company finds it ok to ship out a product that could already have one core fail. And the thing is if another core fails then your $600 purchase is nothing more then a paper weight. Thats what's wrong

So ask yourself this a PS3 running on only 7/8 cores VS a 360 that some articles claim have already reached its processing potentional and yet the PS3 is turning heads.That's BS because to date not one game has used all 3 cores except for the possible upcoming Halo 3. If you have seen the trailer for the game you know as to how nice it looks and yes the whole trailer is the actual in game graphics of the game and Bungie has said that when the trailer was made that it was only 80% complete and that the final product will look nicer. Also with the trailer that whole area as to where the trailer takes place is a playable area in the game

1080P on X-Box won't sell.What's to sell? The update is free:confused:

I doubt, highly, that Sony will let its record get marred more by a broken PS3. If you use the example of the dead batteries they stepped in and gave all those involved a new battery. It cost them money but they ponied up to their fault.Sony wishes that they were just "dead" but when the battery recall hit 9.6 million effected units and would burst into flames

Sony-made battery in Fujitsu PC sends out sparks: Fujitsu

Oct 27, 2006 (Kyodo News International - McClatchy-Tribune Business News via COMTEX) -- TOKYO --

A lithium-ion battery pack manufactured by Sony Corp. and installed in a Fujitsu Ltd. notebook computer was found to have sent out sparks Tuesday, causing a minor burn to its user's hand, a Fujitsu spokesman said Friday.

This is the first time that a Japanese computer maker has announced that a fire hazard problem has occurred with a Sony-made laptop battery since Dell Inc. and Apple Computer Inc. recalled battery packs produced by Sony due to similar problems in August.

The sparks occurred on Tuesday night while the user was charging the battery pack at home, Toshiaki Koike, the spokesman, said, adding the maker's computer was switched off at the time.

Fujitsu, which began its replacement program for certain types of Sony-made batteries last Friday, received a report on the accident on Wednesday.

Fujitsu said it and Sony investigated the problem and concluded the accident was due to the battery pack.

The incident came at a time when major computer makers, including Dell, Apple Computer and Lenovo Group Ltd. as well as Sony, are recalling 9.6 million Sony-made lithium-ion batteries that could overheat and catch fire.

Sony's profit plunges 94 percent in most recent quarter on global battery recall

TOKYO, Oct 26, 2006 (AP Worldstream via COMTEX) --

Sony's profit plunged 94 percent for the July-September quarter as a global battery recall and red ink in its video-game business hurt the Japanese electronics and entertainment company.

Sony Corp.'s group net profit for the fiscal second quarter totaled 1.7 billion yen (US$14 million; euro11 million), dwindling from 28.5 billion yen the same period the previous year, the Tokyo-based manufacturer said Thursday.

An extra cost of 51 billion yen (US$429 million; euro341 million) related to a global recall of 9.6 million Sony laptop batteries was a major factor behind the sharp drop in profit.

Almost every major laptop maker in the world, including Dell Inc., Apple Computer Inc. and Lenovo, has announced recalls of Sony lithium-ion batteries that could overheat and burst into flames.

The recall - which has tarnished Sony's brand image as a longtime maker of icon products such as the Walkman portable player and PlayStation video game machine - offset the lift Sony's books got from an 8 percent rise in July-September sales to 1.85 trillion yen (US$15.6 billion; euro12.4 billion) from 1.7 trillion yen a year earlier.

Sony reported a 43.5 billion yen (US$366 million; euro291 million) operating loss in its gaming division because of charges related to the preparation for the next-generation PlayStation 3 console, set to go on sale in the U.S. and Japan next month.

Sony said last month the machine's launch in Europe will be delayed until March next year because of mass production problems in a video technology called Blu-ray disk that the machine supports.

The company has also reduced the price in Japan for the much hyped PS3 by about 20 percent in an effort to win buyers - a move that's likely to reduce sales revenue because initial shipments are expected to be limited and sell out.

Sony kept unchanged Thursday its plan to ship 6 million PS3 machines in the fiscal year through March 2007. Research and development costs for the PS3 eroded profitability in the game unit, the company said in a statement.

Sony trimmed its fiscal 2006 shipment target for its lagging PlayStation Portable handheld machines to 9 million from the initial 12 million machines. Sony shipped 14 million PSP machines in fiscal 2005.

In contrast, Japanese rival Nintendo Co. is scoring success with its DS handheld machine. The maker of Pokemon and Super Mario games said Thursday that its group net profit for the first fiscal half soared nearly 50 percent.

In the core electronics segment, Sony's operating profit for the three months ended Sept. 30, shrank 71 percent to 8 billion yen (US$67 million; euro53 million) from 28 billion yen a year earlier.

Sony has been trying to turn around its electronics business after getting beaten by rivals on key products such as Apple's iPod and liquid crystal display TVs from Sharp Corp. and Samsung Electronics Co.

The revival effort is being led by American Chief Executive Howard Stringer, the first foreigner to head Sony, but questions are already publicly being raised here about the management team of Stringer and Ryoji Chubachi, an electronics expert, following the battery troubles and production delays.

The charge for the battery recall hurt earnings in electronics, despite strong sales of Bravia flat-panel TVs and Cyber-shot digital cameras, Sony said. The absence of last year's gain from a pension fund reimbursement in Japan also contributed to the operating profit decline in that sector, it said.

Such stumbles forced Sony to revise last week its forecast for the fiscal year through March 2007, to 80 billion yen (US$673 million; euro535 million), down 38 percent from its initial projection and down 35 percent from fiscal 2005.

It's expecting 8.23 trillion yen (US$69 billion; euro55 billion) in fiscal 2006 sales, up 10 percent from the previous year.

Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda said Sony's liquid crystal display television business, which has been working to reduce losses, is expected to post a profit in the October-December quarter.

Sony's movie business also fared poorly, seeing its operating loss grow to 15.3 billion yen (US$129 million; euro102.5 million) partly on flops such as "Zoom" and "All the King's Men," it said. Faring better were "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby," "Monster House" and "Click."

Sony has a music business, but it combined its recorded music business outside of Japan with Bertelsmann AG and the results are not part of Sony's group earnings, except when accounting for Sony's equity.

Best-selling albums included Justin Timberlake's "Future Sex/Love Sounds," Beyonce's "B'Day" and Christina Aguilera's "Back to Basics."

Sony's mobile phone operations are in a joint venture Sony Ericsson, where net income nearly tripled in the quarter, but the results are not part of the consolidated Sony statement.

For the first six months of the fiscal year, Sony posted a 34 billion yen (US$286 million; euro227 million) profit, up 60 percent from the same period a year earlier, on 3.6 trillion yen (US$30 billion; euro24 billion) sales, up nearly 10 percent from the first half of fiscal 2005.

Sony shares, which have lost about 40 percent of their value over the last five years, stood unchanged in Tokyo trading at 4,820 yen (US$40; euro32). The results were announced after the market closed.http://www.srtforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32011&d=1161280466

PLUS

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32012&d=1161280466

EQUALS

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32013&d=1161280466

railven
11-09-06, 07:26 PM
I am willing to say, going on previous Microsoft history in the PC world, that if the units exceed say 1-million/2-million they wouldn't replace the products. Look at Windows ME. It was a terrible OS released with known faults, buggy driver support, tech support that wasn't yet trained to handle the questions, and barely enough time for developers to re-do their drivers under the impression it was 100% Windows 98 compatible. THe software bombed in sales, people who got it with their new PC usually upgraded ASAP or just removed it down grading to 98SE. Did Microsoft at all apologize for it or even offer to reimburse people for their time, patients, and headache? No, they pocketed the money knowing that the developing cost for ME was nothing compared from 95 to 98 or XP.

The monopoly suits where because Microsoft didn't give their full source code to third party developers. This led to crippled software on Windows XP. And Microsoft's software was never free. IE cost you with your Windows license. Even now you can't upgrade from IE6 to IE7 without having a genuine copy of Windows XP which means people on ME or older can't enjoy it because they'll need to pay for an XP license. Same goes for most of Microsoft's new software. Companies sued Microsoft not because they where packing everything in their product under one fee but because Microsoft wasn't playing favor give them equal oppurtunity to compete on their format. Its almost like me allowing you to play on my basketball court but you'll have to take your sneakers off while I don't. [Sorry best analogy I can conjure.]

Blackout those links didn't work I don't have an SRTforums account.

As for the 1080P and the selling point; it will bottle neck on the system if games aren't programmed with that intended. I can download Catalyst 5.10 and get AA on my old Radeon 7000 but would I ever turn it on? Hell no, that card wasn't designed for that. It would bog down so fast.

Using rhetorical numbers say Halo 3 uses even 80% of the processing power of the 360. X-Box games are native at 720P [1280x720] imagine the processing power it would take to upscale the resolution to 1080i [1920x1080] let alone 1080p. You'd need a cable with much higher bandwidth then a component. And you'll need the hardware that can push it just as fast. If I buy a VGA to DVI dongle doesn't mean my VGA card is pushing more bandwidth.

The ability to make games for a platform is not new. You could make games for SNES, NES, GBA, GC, etc if you have the know how and the hardware. Yeah making games for the PS required the Yozura, sorry forgot the exact spelling, but with PS2 they made it easier. Chances are with PS3 and the talk of the online market, like Microsoft's, will make it even easier. In this digital age the walls that once existed are just limits. I can surf the new make a game using an old super mode-7 engine, post it online, and then even have it downloadable by an online console that can emulate the code I wrote it on. We all know PS/PS2/Xbox/GC could emulate old coding and PS2 could emulate PS1 coding.

As I said the system isn't out yet, all the information hasn't been posted, and the limits are still vague. You can, and most likely will, be able to make games on the PS3.

As for the Cores, again look at another corporate machine. How many car vendors sell a product knowing something is likely to break? Timing belts, rusting bodies, squeeky breakes, etc. There have been tons of recalls. So what, no one is perfect. If the PS3 can run on 7/8 cores and they know about it okay better then it break and they say "that never happened in our testing." If the 7th breaks, which I'm willing to wager is a rarity or they wouldn't release it knowing 6 cores -- dead PS3, then they will most likely offer a repair feature. Because, like E-Bay has taught me, you send them a broken one they send you a new one turn around fix it and sell it just as much as a new one. Sure they get a bad rep for a few broken PS3's but they keep a good image buy replacing them. But they don't lose too much if it can be salvaged and then sold for more.

If you are going to tell me that no 360 game hasn't used all three cores I'll call you a liar. To say something like that is completely ignorant. They don't work like a resevoir tank. If one gets filled it doesn't pour off onto the next. The cycles are usually spread across evenly to not overload one or off set a clean revolution. Its like saying "my computer has hyper-threading but I only use the second core when I do some serious gaming." No, both are working, and on the 360 all are working.

If they are as you claim the 360 is a very inefficient machine. If it has to wait for one core to "overload" before activating the next one then I already see tons of bottlenecks in their system. One can be reading data, the other decompressing textures, the other feeding data to the GPU, etc etc.

I lost lots of faith in Bungie. Halo 2 was an insult in terms of graphics. Their graphic engine was probably one of the biggest jokes hardcore gamers enjoy. Sure the game looked great when it finally loaded but I'm not a big fan of having to wait a few seconds for my textures to kick in after my models have been on display. Gameplay, story, all that was good but I'd take the Halo engine over the Halo 2 engine any day.

And a side note, it doesn't take a game to be complete for it to look good. Most game trailers are made with "touch-ups" or using portions of the game that have already been completed. Specifically cinematics tend to get even more graphical touch ups since the system doesn't have to balance out its polygon count with other things.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
11-09-06, 09:17 PM
I know someone who allready has his PS3 ;) His company develops alot of accessorys for game systems. And since they want their accessories to come out as soon as or close to the release of the system, they always get their consoles a few months beforehand. I can tell you from playing the PS3 that its absolutley great! Say what you will about the blu-ray, thats personal preference. Systems today are designed for older kids like you and me :) who have large chunks of disposable income. I think PS3 will do fine.
He sent me his testers 360 about 3 months before its official release too. Games are generally released alot earlier in Japan, too :)

Lady Danielle
11-09-06, 10:06 PM
My butt is going to be in Walmart the day before waiting..I want to sell it on ebay nand make some $

Slywun
11-09-06, 11:37 PM
Me too!

Florian
11-09-06, 11:42 PM
Please help...i'll die if i don't get one...or even 2 if possible

im not gonna blast the kid again.....

F

gary88
11-09-06, 11:44 PM
:yeah:

Although I've heard a lot of rumors going around about restrictions for selling PS3s on ebay to prevent price gouging. I hope they arent true.

Slywun
11-09-06, 11:56 PM
I'm not sure how they could regulate that, but who knows...

railven
11-09-06, 11:59 PM
The restrictions I read for E-Bay only adhere to the ToS agreement.

E-Bay will enforce its policy, you can look it up I'm rather lazy right now, that you can't post anything you don't physically own until a week that it would be in your posession, I paraphrased that.

So anyone caught selling a PS3 on E-Bay a week before its release, any date prior to 11/10, will get a temp ban and a mean lecture E-Mail.

At least thats what I remember.

I want one just for my collection but the bundle packages and cost of a new mortgage are making me have to wait unless I can score one from a non-reserve store, ie Target/Walmart/K-Mart/Sears/etc.

gary88
11-10-06, 12:03 AM
Yes, price gouging galore! :dance: I live 30 seconds away from a Target, so i'm willing to camp out. Hopefully I can get one at launch (fingers crossed), put it on a 7 day listing, and watch the bids go through the roof on black friday.

xxpinballxx
11-10-06, 10:39 AM
there are already people camping out at best buys across the country.

TagApl4
11-10-06, 10:48 AM
Okay, my roomates and I are buying 1 apiece to only keep 1 and sell the remaining 2. In reality terms. How much do you think we can get for a Ps3 on ebay?

xxpinballxx
11-10-06, 10:52 AM
I say since the preorders are going for 2000 I think you'll be able to get close to 5 grand for the two if are among the first ones to sell them. and that is reality not optimistic thinking!

TagApl4
11-10-06, 11:03 AM
I saw 2 grand too. But ppl will really pay $1400 above MSRP. seems lofty to me. None the less there is a great profit margin I'm bout to capitalize on. Good thing I get paid on the 15th

xxpinballxx
11-10-06, 11:06 AM
well dont be surprised if there are bundles going for around 4 or 5 thousand on ebay. I know of a couple spoiled rich kids that will get it regardless what it takes. Parents that buy their kids love will feel they are the greatest parents around if they get one of the first run units. Plus alot of people with money that have no concept of the value of a dollar. I bet there is a bundle that goes for 5000 for a single PS3 with a couple games.

railven
11-10-06, 11:09 AM
You have to be careful how you score your unit. If you get a system alone I'd say expect up to $1,500+ easy. But if you happen to get one of the bundle packs, I'm realling guessing it will start at $1,000 and go up [of course the better the bundle the higher the chance of you getting it from first shipment], then it might be hard to push it all.

Most bundles ship with say two good anticipated games and like four games no one would really care to buy.

But on the offside it will make your auction a bit more appealing I just wouldn't expect people to pay another grand for a few games they have no real interest in.

Get the numbers?

P-Funk
11-10-06, 11:48 AM
so it wasn't a swipe. It would have been a swipe, and untruthful, had I said "all their units." It was only their initial launch that had faults you can go to a store now and pick up a 360 knowing it won't cause a fire.

I am willing to say, going on previous Microsoft history in the PC world, that if the units exceed say 1-million/2-million they wouldn't replace the products.

The monopoly suits where because Microsoft didn't give their full source code to third party developers.

You just made my earlier point. You contradicted yourself here by saying that it wasn't a swipe and then go on to take the same swipe at them.

I am not a Microsoft fanboy but I tend to look at things with respect to how I would run it if it was my company. As for the monopoly thing, I wouldn't give out my full source code to third party developers either so I can't blame them for not doing it.

Blackout
11-10-06, 12:24 PM
My butt is going to be in Walmart the day before waiting..I want to sell it on ebay nand make some $Ebay won't let you. I believe I read that they will take anything down that has to do with the Wii and the PS3

TagApl4
11-10-06, 02:00 PM
Ebay won't let you. I believe I read that they will take anything down that has to do with the Wii and the PS3

Wait, so no selling of PS3 on ebay after the release. U have a liink cus I find that hard to believe.

Blackout
11-10-06, 02:45 PM
It's the same that everyone else was saying. That the people that already had things up for the Wii and PS3 before it was even out they would take it down. But of you own it then you could put it up

Murphyg
11-10-06, 09:22 PM
Believe that even in Japan there are limited #s available.
And I think they've "just" been released there.

Limited amounts available due to production problems, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Would probably be better of to wait till they figure out what the problems are.

Dont want to be like the many first in line for X Box 360 that then had to send them back because of the bugs.

The ones that had to wait were playin before most of the ones who got theres months before.

gary88
11-10-06, 09:38 PM
Japan only got 80,000 units, North America is getting 400,000 units.

Blackout
11-11-06, 01:48 PM
Japan only got 80,000 units, North America is getting 400,000 units.Japan got 100,000 units. And the reason for the delay's for the PS3 were because of overheating problems. With the 360 the power brick is connected to the power cord while with the PS3 it is actually inside the console. I think that might prove to be a bad thing if you don't keep the pS3 in a well ventilated area

gothicaleigh
11-11-06, 06:12 PM
Japan got 100,000 units. And the reason for the delay's for the PS3 were because of overheating problems. With the 360 the power brick is connected to the power cord while with the PS3 it is actually inside the console. I think that might prove to be a bad thing if you don't keep the pS3 in a well ventilated area

My PC's power supply is inside a case. The PlayStation 2's power supply is inside a case. Why is it such a big deal now that they also put one in the PS3? :bigroll:

You seem very hopeful that the PS3 will fail, Blackout. Is there a reason why, or is this just fanboyism?

It's humorous how you can form such strong opinions before the console is even released.

xxpinballxx
11-11-06, 06:16 PM
Blackout do you have alot of shares of Microsoft....come on...you can tell us!
We are in the trust tree....

HushH
11-11-06, 10:56 PM
It's the same that everyone else was saying. That the people that already had things up for the Wii and PS3 before it was even out they would take it down. But of you own it then you could put it up

That's not the case. Pre-orders are being sold on Ebay right now. Ebay has set some rules but they are not to prevent price-gouging, they are to keep people from getting scammed out of $1500+. The requirements for selling pre-orders are as follows:

1) Must have feedback of 50 or more.
2) Feedback rating must be 98% or higher.
3) You can only sell 1 PS3 before launch.
4) Paypal must be your only payment option accepted.
5) Must include picture of the receipt with listing.
6) No Buy It Now option allowed.
7) No 1 Day listings allowed.

I'm sure these will be relaxed somewhat after launch.

They are going anywhere from $1500 - $2000 depending on system and bundle right now. There have been a few go for $5000 or more but sounds like these have turned out to be non-paying bidders (most likely pissed off gamers trying to prevent folks from being able to cash in on the PS3 hysteria).

Blackout
11-12-06, 02:24 AM
My PC's power supply is inside a case. The PlayStation 2's power supply is inside a case. Why is it such a big deal now that they also put one in the PS3? :bigroll:

You seem very hopeful that the PS3 will fail, Blackout. Is there a reason why, or is this just fanboyism?

It's humorous how you can form such strong opinions before the console is even released.Hmmmm....lets see.....Sony delayed the PS3 for over a year and the main reason for it was because of overheating issues. Gee I wonder why I wouldn't feel to comfy with that

Blackout
11-12-06, 02:26 AM
That's not the case. Pre-orders are being sold on Ebay right now. Ebay has set some rules but they are not to prevent price-gouging, they are to keep people from getting scammed out of $1500+. The requirements for selling pre-orders are as follows:

1) Must have feedback of 50 or more.
2) Feedback rating must be 98% or higher.
3) You can only sell 1 PS3 before launch.
4) Paypal must be your only payment option accepted.
5) Must include picture of the receipt with listing.
6) No Buy It Now option allowed.
7) No 1 Day listings allowed.

I'm sure these will be relaxed somewhat after launch.

They are going anywhere from $1500 - $2000 depending on system and bundle right now. There have been a few go for $5000 or more but sounds like these have turned out to be non-paying bidders (most likely pissed off gamers trying to prevent folks from being able to cash in on the PS3 hysteria).I honestly really didn't look into it too much. I'm just going off what i have heard. If someone wants to spend a few grand for the PS3 then so be it

Blackout
11-12-06, 02:55 AM
BTW I hope the people who are interested in getting a PS3 to use it as a Blu-Ray player don't set their hopes too high. The copyright protection they are implementing SUCKS. Sony themselves said that PS3 will not have the hardware to support the Blu-Ray Copyright protection...thus as soon as the movie industry implements it, no more Blu-Ray Movies on your PS3. So then it is a pointless Game-Box (or only for older movies).

Lady Danielle
11-12-06, 07:37 AM
4 more days befoe I camp out!

gothicaleigh
11-12-06, 08:49 AM
So then it is a pointless Game-Box (or only for older movies).[/b]

Just "a pointless Game-Box" like the 360? :p

Sony themselves said that PS3 will not have the hardware to support the Blu-Ray Copyright protection...thus as soon as the movie industry implements it, no more Blu-Ray Movies on your PS3.

Link?

Not have the Hardware, or Software? Anyone with a PSP knows that Sony likes to issue Firmware updates.

Blackout
11-12-06, 12:24 PM
Link?

Not have the Hardware, or Software? Anyone with a PSP knows that Sony likes to issue Firmware updates.http://www.boingboing.net/2006/08/11/bluray_playstations_.html

There really isn't any realistic changes...that you can utilize with today's technology.
HDMI 1.1 - Initial DVD Audio Release
HDMI 1.2 - 8 Channel Audio Added (Super Audio CD ONLY), PC Support, Low-voltage Support
HDMI 1.2a - Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets, and CEC compliance tests
HDMI 1.3 - (Released 22 June 2006) Supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[3] TrueHD and DTS-HD are lossless audio codec formats used on HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs. If the disk player can decode these streams into uncompressed audio, then HDMI 1.3 is not necessary, as all versions of HDMI can transport uncompressed audio. Supports 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths or over one billion colors, up from 24-bit in previous versions. Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 Mhz (10.2 Gbps). And supports a mini-HDMI like Mini-USB and such for portable electronics.

Sony PS3 is using v1.3, ...why can't someone not just update the firmware to support HDMI v1.3 on a non-v1.3 product?

dp102288
11-12-06, 12:28 PM
Wow at this thread. I didn't know half as much as I do know about the 360 and ps3. Seems like in the end, a good car is all one needs!

Blackout
11-12-06, 12:55 PM
Wow at this thread. I didn't know half as much as I do know about the 360 and ps3. Seems like in the end, a good car is all one needs!Some people are just blinded by a name and think that it's better then anything else. Out of all of the new systems coming out I think the Wii looks the most entertaining. Nintendo has it down to a science that more doesn't mean better. While Sony has the reverse logic and with a $600 price tag would make it unaffordable for the average kid which then would make for some sales loss. BTW I just saw on IGN that they reviewed the new Tony Hawk game and they gave it a 7.8 for the 360 and get this! For the far superior PS3 they gave it a 7.0!:eek:

The PlayStation 3 version of Tony Hawk's Project 8 has a number of things that set it apart from the Xbox 360 version, two of which are very bad. One good thing is the ability to use the SIXAXIS to control your skater. You have the ability to turn, balance and perform tricks with the controller, and each of these three options is able to be set individually. If you only want to balance with the SIXAXIS but would prefer to still use the classic controls for tricks and steering, you can use that.

The SIXAXIS control basically mimics the left analog stick. If you want to turn, you tilt it left or right. Flicking it left or right horizontally will spin the board, and tilting it forward and then back will perform a manual. Tricks are performed by tilting the controller and then pressing the appropriate face button, and you can use the SIXAXIS to fully manipulate the board in Nail a Trick. This control method works reasonably well and is fairly fun to use, but it's a fair bit more difficult to use then the "old" way. You'll never be able to compete with the best out there, but it's good fun to mess around with.

The first major issue that the PlayStation 3 version has is that it doesn't include any online support. Considering that the Tony Hawk series was the first online game for the PlayStation 2, even before the Network Adapter was ever released, makes this seem curious. And the fact that this is the only major launch title that isn't online but should be is basically inexcusable. Tony Hawk's online play is good fun, and it's really disappointing that Neversoft included it with the Xbox 360 version but not this one.

The second problem with the PS3 variant of Project 8 is that it simply doesn't run all that well. The game chops up left and right, sometimes to the point where the controls don't feel responsive. It's bad enough that the camera isn't always perfect, but when it's staring at the bottom of your board and the game is running at 15fps, well, there's a major problem. That's not to say that it always runs poorly, as it can be reasonably quick most of the time, but Project 8 chops up way more often than is normally forgivable.

Closing Comments
Tony Hawk's Project 8 is an interesting game in that while it introduces a number of new and fun concepts, like Nail a Trick and Spot Challenges, much of it feels very rehashed. In fact, some areas of the game are even taken from past games in the series, making the package feel somewhat lazy. That's not to say that Tony doesn't have any stamina left in his legs, as the game is still plenty fun most of the time, but we've seen it all before.

It's certainly disappointing that the PlayStation 3 is so far behind the Xbox 360 game. Framerate issues are apparent at every other turn, and the lack of online play really hurts. Project 8 is a worthy game to pick up, just preferably not on this system.

xxpinballxx
11-12-06, 06:55 PM
Blackout is your real name Bill gates? Just a question.....

Murphyg
11-12-06, 07:27 PM
Im thinking his title should be "Trying To Be An Informed Consumer".
And as far as I can see hes the only one who appears to have done any research on them. And what hes posted is what the testers have discovered.

Is interesting how so many can say how great it is or how great its going to be. Obviously just going by the manufacturers marketing.

But when someone goes by comparing actual specs, and the reports that have been made from independent testers and focus groups. Nothing to do with marketing whatsoever.

Everyone implies he has an alterior motive ??

But then again we all know that Gates has all the independent testers in his pocket too LMAO.

No wonder so many fall for buying magnets to increase horse power and etc...

Is amazing how so many would rather believe the great claims of marketing before considering actuall input from real experience.

Should people be so uninformed that they will just throw there money at every "New and Improved" advertised product that hits the market ?
Dont you think that would be stupid ??

Was just 2 questions....

But to be honest no ones gonna know for sure till they have em.

Thanx for the input Blackout.

Blackout
11-12-06, 07:39 PM
Im thinking his title should be "Trying To Be An Informed Consumer".
And as far as I can see hes the only one who appears to have done any research on them. And what hes posted is what the testers have discovered.

Is interesting how so many can say how great it is or how great its going to be. Obviously just going by the manufacturers marketing.

But when someone goes by comparing actual specs, and the reports that have been made from independent testers and focus groups. Nothing to do with marketing whatsoever.

Everyone implies he has an alterior motive ??

But then again we all know that Gates has all the independent testers in his pocket too LMAO.

No wonder so many fall for buying magnets to increase horse power and etc...

Is amazing how so many would rather believe the great claims of marketing before considering actuall input from real experience.

Should people be so uninformed that they will just throw there money at every "New and Improved" advertised product that hits the market ?
Dont you think that would be stupid ??

Was just 2 questions....

But to be honest no ones gonna know for sure till they have em.

Thanx for the input Blackout.No problem. I'm sure people on here will still go out and spend the money on one of them and hey so be it. Some people are just brand loyalist and it's impossible for anything else to be better. I've tried to help people out here by posting stuff and backing up my statements while others have just offered their opinions and act as if that is the truth. But hey whatever. Some people just throw their money around without even doing any research at all and wouldn't admit that they were wrong. Kinda like the people who bought Beta Max. Blu-Ray is Sony's new Beta! On top of it the failure rate for Blu-Ray discs is astronomical compared to that of regular DVD's. According to a report, current HD-DVD production has a failure rate of 2-3%...WHICH IS HUGE!!!!! But Blu-Ray at first had a production failure rate of 20-30%, though it has since dropped to 10-12%. Also there have been reports of electronic stores putting their PS3's on display and many of them locking up

xxpinballxx
11-12-06, 07:40 PM
well murph i am as informed as anyone on all of the electronic side of life!
I read 6 different technology sites a day and have read and heard of most everything Blackout is saying and am not at all disagreeing with him. If you read all my posts you'll see not one time did I say he was wrong about anything.
I am just not going throw something out the window for some problems in development and deadlines. There are always these problems. THe one thing I fault sony for is trying to get stuff out before its ready but then again all electronic companies do that. Motorola 4Q of 2005 launched 22 cellphones and hade problems with all but two of them. Thats just trying to hit the consumer when they are "Ripe for pickin'"
So before you throw out words likie stupid and uninformed might want to think.
Sorry if this seems like I am taking it personally and you might not even have been directing the comments towards me but I am anything but stupid and uninformed!

to blackout....I am kidding around about the bill gates, I also know of the problems and the Blu-ray issues and the whole slew of crap thats puts a bad light on it. I like the fact that he took the time to put it all into writing here and post what he did. I am still going to take my chances and buy a PS3 and hope I get a good one like the xbox I got that had no disc issues or overheating.
I have expendable money for the electronics I want and for some reason I want things when they first come out. Is it possible i will be so pissed off I throw it out the window? Possibly but then again I might have the greatest game console to hit the streets since the Nintendo debuted!
Its a crap shoot and Im a gamble.....so be it!

railven
11-12-06, 08:09 PM
I didn't read everything with detail so excuse me if I covered something already detailed.

Blackout if you ever read Penny-Aracade, or any other various online gaming sites, you'd come to agree IGN is a sell out who rate games poorly. I've started to like Gamespot more then IGN lately.

The fact that they use the chopiness as a negative for Tony Hawks is an insult. You know what other great games get bogged down? Well Halo 2 had a problem loading graphics and textures when there was too many action on the screen. Try the game on legendary and get into a good gun fight and your FPS will drop. Oblivion is another great game that would randomly just bog downr regardless your hardware. Now IGN didn't give any of these games a bad raiting based on these backdraws.

Also to hold it against it that the game doesn't have an online feature is stupid considering Sony themselves have been very vague about their online plan. Yeah you'll be able to play games online but when? I don't know. I agree Sony has to pick up the pace and reveal more about it but they are too busying working the online angle, my opinion, for the other market share they want.

Anyone else find it a bit interesting that a system that has already been in the market for a year, has had game developers pushing games out and using the development kits for over a year only scored a pathetic .8 higher then a system that hasn't been out yet, hasn't had much time for dev kit testing and all the bugs fixed? If you're going to sell me a 360 as being superior you need something more then a .8 advantage.

PS3 won't handle the copyright protection? The new copyright protection features for the new age will include downscaling. If you don't have an HDMI hook up your player, either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD, will actually compress the video to about 40% of its actual size, eliminating the hi-def, to prevent people from copying them and whatever. Since Microsoft hasn't shown any move to move over to HDMI then I can see this becoming a problem. And most movie industries have sworn they wouldn't use the new copyright protection scheme to its full extent, because if they do people with a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player but no Hi-def TV will be penalized because they don't have the money/whatever.

Call me stupid but I doubt a company that is pushing a system that can potentional become the center of any entertainment system to prevent it from playing Blu-Ray DVDs. I remember when people said "PSP only plays games" and woah all of a sudden we got RSS feeds, streaming audio [video in the works], picture viewers, music players, video support, and it Podcasting. Sony is sometimes slow but it gets the job done. I know people who own a PSP not for the gaming feature but to check their E-Mail, watch movies, listen to music, and show pictures to friends. I can imagine tons of people owning a PS3 just for the movie, surround sound, and internet capabilities.

[I don't even know if 360 has internet abilities, such as checking E-Mail and RSS feeds so someone educate me on that please.]

Some one find this odd?

"Bautista says that one of two reasons for this is the fact that commercial content is encrypted with High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which can only be decrypted using a HDCP-compliant graphics card that offers DVI or HDMI connections. Since there are currently no PCs for sale offering graphics chips that support HDCP, this isn't yet possible."

So you are telling me there are currently no hardware configurations that can run a HDCP decryption scheme? None? Wait so no stand alone Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player has these features? Wait, how big are they? Can anyone recall Macro-vision and its hardcore hardware requirements where it was simplified down to a code easily integrated into a DVD disc preventing any hardware support? Or how about H.260 decoding which at first required super high end GPUs to be able to uncompress the data and causing the CPU from crashing but can now be run successfull on X1300 ATI GPU's which run at a fraction of their predecessors? Or again when 2.4GHz were slower then 1.8GHz processors? If these people really follow computer trends they'd realize this won't be a problem once the technology becomes more mature and gets out of the early stages.

And who said PS3 was for "kids?" I'm not even a parent yet but I won't buy my child a $600 dollar ANYTHING. Would I buy anything Sony for my kid? NO. Would I buy anything Microsoft for my kid? NO. I think Nintendo is still the only vendor that even considers "kids" as a target audience. The Nintendo DS is so simplicified I'd gladly give my kid it with a copy of Nintendogs. After owning my PSP for a year and experimenting with it I realized that system is too fragile and complicated for a "kid." The 360 has nothing exclusive that I would want my "kid" to play. So would I expect a "kid" to pay $600 for a console? No. Would I expect a kid to have a HI-DEF LCD-TV, a 5.1+ Surround Sound system, and a stack of Blu-Ray movies in his room? No. The PS3 isn't for "kids" It is for adults. Its audience is the majority of gamers which is 20-35 who are now old enough to buy the swag they want and will probably own a PSP and use the online market to buy music for it, unless of course they got an IPOD, who will be able to afford Blu-Ray movies to watch, and who probably already have a nice surround system. I'm sure tons of "kids" will want this system.

As I had said in my first post I consider myself an avid gamer. I've been gaming since NES, I wasn't old enough for Colico or the first Ataris, and I've still to choose a side in the future eras. I'll give Microsoft their respect for the ground they've covered in such a short time. But all the sales show that when Sony introduced the Playstation the gaming world as we knew it was over. It crushed Sega and crippled Nintendo. I doubt this round will be any different, but we'll see.

Blackout
11-12-06, 08:41 PM
As I had said in my first post I consider myself an avid gamer. I've been gaming since NES, I wasn't old enough for Colico or the first Ataris, and I've still to choose a side in the future eras. I'll give Microsoft their respect for the ground they've covered in such a short time. But all the sales show that when Sony introduced the Playstation the gaming world as we knew it was over. It crushed Sega and crippled Nintendo. I doubt this round will be any different, but we'll see.You do realize that without Nintendo the Playstation would probably cease to exist since the Playstation was a joint venture between Sony and Nintendo. As for the Tony Hawk thing the PS3 version actually installs a 260mb file to reduce lag and loading and it still freezes and is choppy. I have the demo for my 360 right now and have had no lag whatsoever and the demo to my surprise is actually quite big. As of right now the 360 doesn't have internet capability but at the sametime why does it matter? Anything you need to do is through Xbox live. You wanna send your friend a message then mail him one! You wanna send him a voicemail then mail him one! You wanna download demos, trailers for games and movies, download movies or TV shows, etc then do so! Why would I want to go online with a console and try and type using a controller? That has to be the most stupid thing one would want to do. You buy the gaming system to play games. You want to go online then your going to have to get your lazy ass up and actually walk to your computer/laptop and go online. OMG THE AGONY!!! But from what i've read the 360 is moddable without a mod chip. What that means I dunno because ever since I had the incident with my old Xbox and modding it I could careless about modding it. Supposedly there is a way to install a new OS on the PS3 but at the same time if the PS3 is so superior to anything out there then why would one want to do so? Basically anything I say you will disagree with. I'm not going to argue with you about it because it's your opinion and your entitled to it so I'm not going to even bother wasting anymore time in trying to prove you wrong or right. I've said what I needed to say and backup all of my claims with charts from Sony themselves and others, I've posted links, I've posted basically anything that one would want to know at this point. So at this time it just comes down to wether or not one is willing to take that leap of faith with the PS3. I hope it does do well because if it did fail then it could spell then end of the console wars. But at this time with all of the negative press surrounding it and now with places reporting systems' freezing up just days before the launch is already proving to be that the PS3 might still be having overheating issues since they lock them up in these little spaces. But I think Sony laid to many of its eggs with this system and if it flops Sony will be no more because at this point their video game division is their biggest money maker and with Sony pictures and music slumping big time as well as the 9.6 million battery recall they need something to go their way at this point because everything is crumbling around them

Blackout
11-12-06, 11:23 PM
UPDATE: The blue diode shortage has increased and Sony has cut the US and japanese alotments by 20% so thats 80,000 for japan and the US down to 320,000 minus the store displays and such. I wish Sony would delay till xmas so they have more avail ....there is goin to be riots and people gettin jumped outside of stores when they walk out with them

railven
11-12-06, 11:59 PM
You keep posting with information that isn't new to me, I know how to surf the net too and like I said just punch in PS3 in Google and everything you shared is at your disposal. Every thing, aside for the component cables coming with the premium edition, I've known. I consider myself an avid gamer for a reason.

With everything I've read I still wouldn't forecast a grim future for Sony. I know the PS3 is a heavily controversional subject in the gaming world. Ever since Microsoft got its following it has been one thing after another. I'm still willing to say that Sony will victorious. I'm basing this on the fan base, the hardware, and Sony's ability to get exclusive titles. If I'm wrong, well then I'm wrong.

If you wish to no longer argue by all means I'm just here to offer a different point of view.

Either way, time will tell which console will lead the sales.

UPDATE: The blue diode shortage has increased and Sony has cut the US and japanese alotments by 20% so thats 80,000 for japan and the US down to 320,000 minus the store displays and such. I wish Sony would delay till xmas so they have more avail ....there is goin to be riots and people gettin jumped outside of stores when they walk out with them
Yeah...evil Sony doing this to us. I remember all the mothers that were crushed and hospitalized trying to buy their child a Tickle Me Elmo. Evil, evil, Sony those bastards!

Blackout
11-13-06, 06:54 AM
like I said I'm done. no matter what I say you will come back with something else to try and defend the PS3. Like I said its your opinion so I'm not going to argue the fact.

railven
11-13-06, 10:01 AM
Like wise, everything shared you choose to bash PS3.

Fair is fair, t'was a blast though!

:)

Blackout
11-13-06, 11:30 AM
Like wise, everything shared you choose to bash PS3.

Fair is fair, t'was a blast though!

:)Tis true. It's the same when it comes to car companies also. Some guys are Ford guys and other are GM guys. Everybody will point out the positives but not many of them will point out the negatives. The thing that may hurt the 360 the most is not having the HDMI support. There was a picture floating around not too long ago with a 360 with a HDMI input on the back of it. Nobody really knew what to make of it. Some people were pissed about it saying that the people who bought the first 360's wouldn't get the HDMI support but maybe the later 360's would get the HDMI support. It's quite possible that that could happen since MS just released the 1080p patch and with the HD-DVD drive coming out this month maybe future 360's will have a HDMI port but who know's. All I know is that when the HD-DVD drive does come out you won't be able to get the best resolution out of it due to it plugging into the USB port. Actually I shouldn't say that because in all honesty I don't really know. I haven't paid too much attention to it since I don't own a HDTV and after seeing over at Circuit City the Blu-Ray player playing a movie I don't see myself spending the extra cash for it. It looked nice but nothing super major over a regular DVD that would justify paying $1000 for the player plus another couple grand for a TV that has 1080p and all the other BS that comes with the HDTV's. When you actually look at the majority of people in the US not many actually have HDTV's and even less have a TV that is a 1080p resolution so it's a very VERY niche market at this point. To the average joe they are probably thinking that once they get their PS3 and hook it up to their standard TV that they will notice a huge difference when in reality it will look just as good as a regular DVD player. I mean it was bad enough having to go out and having all of these VHS movies and then DVD coming out then we had to redo our library with DVD movies and now Blu-Ray comes out and movies are costing like $30-$40 for a movie at a time is kinda pricey. I don't really see HD-DVD or Blu-Ray really doing much in the market. I kinda see it being the next Mini-Disc that it's a cool idea but it just won't catch on. Just my opinion and not saying that that is the truth and you can take it to the bank. The HDTV market hasn't grown like the industry would have. They have been talking about switching over regular cable to the digital cable but they keep pushing that dateline back and back and it is mostly due to the sluggish sales of the HDTV's.

railven
11-13-06, 12:11 PM
You make some very valid points but you have to read outside of the gaming sites. You should look at your local area and the trends that are set by your community.

Is broadband internet big in rural towns? No, most that do have it have to go through a seperate company, such as my girlfriend's father who lives out west in Mass. But in bigger cities it is mostly all they offer. They even offer it at dial-up competitive prices.

The move to digital cable has been long done friend. Everyone I know has digital cable and a digital receiver. In fact my friend's house had to get rewired because their old coxial couldn't handle the bandwidth [but note I live close to Boston.] In fact my girlfriend's father has digital cable and phone. I was amazed that the new town I moved into only had digital phone.

The HD-TV market hasn't exploded because the technology is still new, only about five years old. But the sales have increased insanely as new competitive brands have produce different level products. You can now buy an HD-TV for about the same price a standard TV would have cost you four years ago. Three years ago I bought a brand new 32" 480P Samsung CRT for almost $500. Today that would buy me at least a 26" LCD TV capable of doing 1080i and if I go with a no-name brand I can score a 32".

If you've seen the quality difference from DVD on standard TV to HDTV you'd noticed its huge. I love how my digital cable feed looks on my HDTV. In my old house it was hooked up to a 32" Bubble-CRT and it didn't look any different, but that TV didn't have a digital comb-tuner either. WIth the right hardware it makes a mountain of difference.

Now what I've seen of 1080P is amazing! Considering all DVD comes native at 480P the resolution gain is obvious and the digital clarity is even more prominent.

Maybe for you right now it isn't viable but if you've gamed on a well built PC you'd know what a bump in resolution would do for your image guality.

I agree not many people own a 1080P TV but only because right now that is still new technology and very costly. Once they become more mainstream the price will drop and it will be welcomed more into the homes of citizens.

Just give it time and the HD-era will actually live up to the hype that it stirred up the last years ago.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet that in a few years, or months, 360 will be revised to include the HD-DVD drive as standard with an HDMI output. It wouldn't have to cost that much more and by the time they decide to incorporate it the HD-DVD technology may be cheaper to produce and thus be able to keep the price of the 360 either the same or for a few bucks more.

I also wanted to note, that Digital cable has nothing to do with HD-TVs. It only has to do with the TV having a digital comb filter. HD-broadcasting is what requires a HDTV because it is broadcasted at higher resolutions then 480i. I don't have the HD-broadcasting subscription but I'd love to try it out since its only $4 a month more since I already got all the hardware for it. The thought of watching HD-TV with 5.1 is rather interesting but not all channels broadcast HD content so right now it wouldn't be as lavish.

LAST EDIT [I should really think out before hitting the post button, sorry!]: We've changed mediums for years. It isn't new. From records to 8-track, to cassette, to CD, to DVD, to MP3. From punch cards, to 5.25 floppies, to 3.5 floppies, to zip/tap/super drives, to USB flash drives. I can go on, it is part of growing in the technological world. If you are going to use that as an excuse you should still be using the casettes you grew up on. I know I put mine in storage when I copied them over to my computer as mp3s.

Blackout
11-13-06, 12:13 PM
If any of you know who Maddox is then you know he is funny as hell but at the same time knows his shit. I just happened to go over and check out his site since he hasn't updated in months but he just updated it and the newest update has to do with coincedently SONY! Check it out
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sony_bullshit

railven
11-13-06, 12:31 PM
Awww Blackout why you have to pull out Maddox? That guy is a total ass and he knows it. He lacks any real effect with his statements, maybe its just me and his presentation.

Okay, rootkits is the equivalant of Microsoft's self-update feature in which before the lawsuit Windows XP would install updates to itself without the users consent. This led to back doors and the RPC fault, you remember that one, where Microsoft scrambled to close the huge vunerability it had because of its attempts to control your computer. I remember that because I had to fix a few friends computers not because they downloaded viruses but because some hacker used a native code in XP to shut down their PC's every 15seconds after boot.

Maddox doesn't even link the law suit, usually he doesn't link anything. DId you know what Lik-Sang sold the most of? Its best sellers where products that would allow you to play ROMs on your systems. ROMs are illegal and the equivalent of piracy. Now, why would a company let a site that sells piracy products run loose? The only time I visited Lik-Sang was to see if the flash-rom devices dropped price, they didn't.
EDIT: Note that the PSP also plays UMD-movie discs that are region coded. I'm sure that probably played a role in the lawsuit.

Should we continue? Sony isn't perfect, I know and admit that, neither is Microsoft. For any dirt you have on any company chances are I have it for another company. They are all monsters in a corporate machine aimed at taking our money, I believe I stated that earlier, be it Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft.

Sheesh.

EDIT: Since you like links and it's my day off:

HD-TV/D-TV Sales
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/home-entertainment/we-want-our-hd-dtv.asp

Microsoft Bulletin on RPC fiasco
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823980

Microsoft and their Auto-update/WPA
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060630-7171.html

Anything else you'd wish for me to dig-up to support my statements?

Blackout
11-13-06, 01:01 PM
It was more out of fun then being a resource for an argument but he did bring up some valid things but the way he goes about presenting them are bad but yet funny. I mean how could you not get a chuckle off of this?
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/sony_bullshit_anim4.gif

railven
11-13-06, 01:39 PM
Sorry, I wouldn't say that tickles my fancy in terms of humor. The guys at PA, CAD, and PVP do a much better job then anything Maddox could ever MS-Paint up.

This thread caused me to go back into some older gaming threads. Haha, man fanboy-ism yields some really hilarious things.

Here is one:

"Splinter Cell copied MGS."
"MGS copied Thief."
But no one mentioned that MG came out before Thief in terms of the franchise history.

Haha, just thought I'd share that.

EDIT:
OMG ROFL! Haha now this is what a good fanboy fight is all about:
http://www.streethop.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-126878.html
I'm glad I never sold loyalties to either or I'd be one of them saying
"PS2/3/X-Box/360 rules over everything else!"

Haha that was one hell of a laugh. Its like reading the game reviews at EBGames/Gamestop.

Blackout
11-13-06, 02:14 PM
Some people will buy just about anything as long as it has brand X's name on it and will tout it to be the best thing since sliced bread. My video game experience started with the Sega Genesis. I then got the Sega CD, then a Sega Game Gear, then a SNES, then a Sega Saturn, then a Virtual Boy, then a Sega Dreamcast, then a N64, then a Playstation, then a GBA, then a PS2, then a Xbox, then a Gamecube, now I have a 360. One couldn't call me a brand loyalist with all the crap I've owned. Hell tomorrow I will be picking up my bosses old Jaguar! I came close to buying a PSP but I couldn't justify paying that much money for a hand held when you could damn near get a core system 360 for as much as it was going for. Hell I also even have a old Playchoice 10 arcade machine in my basement that has Super Mario Bros. 3, Punch-Out, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gauntlet, and Rad Racer on it!
http://www.gamersgraveyard.com/repository/nes/history/images/playchoice-flyer.jpg I guess they were built to order because mine doesn't have the gun or the two screen's.

xxpinballxx
11-13-06, 02:19 PM
I have and stil got all my old systems....Mine started way back with the Bally's arcade...bet you guys ain't got that thing...its a relic! Then about everything since....coleco vision intellivision atari 3DO sega genesis dreamcast all version of the nintendos even the gameboys (color 1st version slim version advance sp)
xbox the 360 PSP I'm sure i am forgetting a bunch...some really lame ones out there.

railven
11-13-06, 02:26 PM
That arcade system is just a box with a NES motherboard and a rom packed with games. You can, probably hard now to find the ROM, buy different game packs for it.

Oh the memories of the old days.
NES, SNES, Virtua Boy, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy SP, Nintendo Draw and Paint, Super Gameboy, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, and soon a Wii.
Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, 32X Add-On, Sega-CD Add-on, Sega Saturn +4MB RAM upgrade [Because Street Fighter VS X-Men isn't the same without it], Sega Dreamcast, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, and a Sega CD-X
Panasonic 3-DO
Atari Jaguar, my brother's old 2600, my cousin's old 5200, Atari Lynx [Ninja Gaiden on this one OWNED]
JVC CD-i [waste of money!]
Sony Playstation, Playstation 2, PSP, PSone, Slim PS2, and hopefully a PS3
Microsoft X-Box but no 360 yet.

You know if you use your PSP outside of its legal intentions it has many options in the homebrew world. You can play old school SNES/NES/GENESIS games on it too.

Games are fun...I wasted my whole youth on them.

EDIT: Oh yeah a Tandy Super Computer 3, if you'd consider that a gaming platform, it had a great version of Pitfall I can't find on any other system and BOXES! I love that game!

Blackout
11-13-06, 02:33 PM
What games do you have for your Dreamcast? I'm looking at picking up some new games for my Dreamcast but am having a hard time finding some of them. I'm looking for Powerstone 1 or 2 (preferrably 2) Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Ferrari F355 Challenge, Skies of Arcadia, and Metropolis Street Racer (I consider this the origins of the Project Gotham Racing series wince they had a kudo's system for doing power slides and crap)

Blackout
11-13-06, 02:36 PM
That arcade system is just a box with a NES motherboard and a rom packed with games. You can, probably hard now to find the ROM, buy different game packs for it.When we first got it we went to this local place that sells pinball, and arcade machines and also does maintenance as well and we asked them about getting new games put on it and they were like they stopped making stuff for that years ago. And this was back when at the very latest while I was in 5th grade

railven
11-13-06, 02:45 PM
I actually have all those games, except Ferrari F355 I just didn't like it and back then you could return games to EB for a full refund so I did, but if you are looking to buy them best I can do is go to E-Bay. The games I kept are the games I plan on keeping.

Powerstones is awesome with four people I doubt the PSP's version will be as awesome but who knows...I'm still not going to buy it haha...yet at least.

Yeah, I figured it be hard to find a ROM for that old arcade. You can always check E-Bay. Find what model box you have and look to score just the innards.

And yeah, totally agree with you that MSR is the predecessor to GPR. Also Tokyo Extreme 2 is literally the same as Tokyo Extreme Zero for the PS2, but I think you want the nostalgia value of the DC version. huh?

Blackout
11-13-06, 04:17 PM
I actually have all those games, except Ferrari F355 I just didn't like it and back then you could return games to EB for a full refund so I did, but if you are looking to buy them best I can do is go to E-Bay. The games I kept are the games I plan on keeping.If you sent me a PM or something with your addy so that I could mail you a money order or something and you could give me a price for the games I would mail you the money order if you want. If you want to do it through e-bay that's fine also.

Powerstones is awesome with four people I doubt the PSP's version will be as awesome but who knows...I'm still not going to buy it haha...yet at least.I remember back when I was in junior high playing power stone 2 with 3 of my friends one night and we played it all damn night while we were drinking and smoking weed. We started at 6 in the afternoon and were playing it until 3 am. Awesome game and a awesome night. But they're actually making it for the PSP? Hmmm......that would be interesting to look into. BTW any chance you ever played Advance Wars for the GBA? That was such a kick ass game!

Yeah, I figured it be hard to find a ROM for that old arcade. You can always check E-Bay. Find what model box you have and look to score just the innards.Now adays between school, work, the g/f, and the 360 I have like damn near next to no free time so I'm not going to bother with it at this point. My dad wants to get a shooting game and was talking about getting House of the Dead 2 or 3 arcade game because he wants a shooting game so hopefully that happens!

And yeah, totally agree with you that MSR is the predecessor to GPR. Also Tokyo Extreme 2 is literally the same as Tokyo Extreme Zero for the PS2, but I think you want the nostalgia value of the DC version. huh?I want to get it for the DC mostly because it's such a pain in the ass to find and at this point I just want to hold the damn thing in my hand and just yell FINALLY!!!! I thought the first one was decent enough but then I heard that the 2nd one was much better then the first so it's always perked my interest. BTW if your interested in doing some game trades then I'm up for that as well if you are. I have my Dreamcast at work and me and the guys play Worms World Party everyday during break so all of my stuff is there. When I go into work tomorrow I will write down all the games I have and send you a PM and if your interested in any of them maybe we can work something out

Blackout
11-13-06, 05:27 PM
Early reports are in for the launch of the PS3 in Japan and it's actually quite surprising

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=fcb6a8a6da2353ea&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&col=969048863851&c=Article&cid=1163415725976&call_pageid=968350072197

For Japan being their biggest market and there only being 100,000 units they've only sold a little bit over 88,000 units in two days. I guess the Japanese are waiting for the Wii instead. BTW my report about there supposedly only being 80k units because of a diode issue were false. My bad

Murphyg
11-13-06, 06:10 PM
well murph i am as informed as anyone on all of the electronic side of life!.............
So before you throw out words likie stupid and uninformed might want to think.
Sorry if this seems like I am taking it personally and you might not even have been directing the comments towards me but I am anything but stupid and uninformed!......

No need to apoligize.
Nothing personal to you and nothing personal taken. :thumbsup:
Wasnt calling anyone stupid. Just commenting on how so many make decisons on things before becoming informed. And I do think that is stupid.

Not directed at anyone inperticular. Just a sad fact.

No prob xxpinballxx.

......Now what I've seen of 1080P is amazing! Considering all DVD comes native at 480P the resolution gain is obvious and the digital clarity is even more prominent.

Maybe for you right now it isn't viable but if you've gamed on a well built PC you'd know what a bump in resolution would do for your image guality.

I agree not many people own a 1080P TV but only because right now that is still new technology and very costly. Once they become more mainstream the price will drop and it will be welcomed more into the homes of citizens.

I just read a bit ago that Westinghouse has.....Yes I said Westinghouse......
Has been into the TV and electronics market for a while.
Apparantly you can get a 1080P for like half price of what anyone else has to offer with 1080i. Round $2000.
The article said they can do this because they dont have a built in tuner.
But how many people still need that nowadays anyways.
Cant remember the last time I was in a home that didnt have a set top tuner.
Everyone has some kind of box.

Thought you might want to look into it :highfive:

railven
11-13-06, 11:29 PM
Sorry Blackout I spent way too much time going through my game collection and singling out the games I didn't want to keep. I wish I had own my own place back then because now I have a basement where I can store my old stuff.

I've sold enough games to EB/Gamestop only to cry about it later at how they raped me but thats what I had to do. My PS2 collection had been cut back down recently and I'm sitting on probably 75 games left of my once big collection.

I hear you on losing quality gaming time. With the girlfriend, job, errands, and now a damn home to worry about I can pretty much kiss my gaming days good buy. I just spent $1800 today on a living room set. That was PS3/Wii money man! I was shaking...but I guess I have to grow up eventually.

I want to hand down my gaming collection to my son, if I ever have one, hoping he'd be a gamer too.

I love Super Mario World...

Hey MurphyG there are few things that come to my mind:
1. TV's without a HD-TV tuner that will require an external device to decode the HD-TV signal to be displayed on the TV. If that is the case I can see them selling for so low, but I personally haven't read of an available external device that can decode 1080P content outside of a stand-alone HD/BLU DVD players. So that made me wonder what those guys are talking about.
2. Then I was wondering if he meant it doesn't bring a HD-TV decoder, my TV brings the slot for it but not the actual decoder, but then I realized I don't think any TV sells with a decoder. The decoder is provided by your cable company to decrypt whatever protection they use on their HD-line to prevent people from "stealing" their signal.

Either way it sounds a bit fishy. I wouldn't buy a new car without an engine. Why would someone pay half the price for a TV that doesn't include something so neccessary for HD-DEF digital content?

Maybe I need to read up on that a bit more.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 09:34 AM
ON CNET they just did a nice write up and a test of a 1080i and 1080p. It was after hours of scanning back and forth searching that anyone was able to see a tiny slight difference in the two. they mentioned the bigger you get the more noticeable it would probably get but at 52 inches already it would have to be a huge screen to make it worth your while to pay through the nose for a 1080p.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 09:37 AM
Engadget now saying that apparently the new PS3's are not totally backwards compatible. The menus in games like Final Fantasy and grand Turismo are not showing properly and the games are freezing up. But I guess they have a software fix for it in the works.

Blackout
11-14-06, 09:38 AM
ON CNET they just did a nice write up and a test of a 1080i and 1080p. It was after hours of scanning back and forth searching that anyone was able to see a tiny slight difference in the two. they mentioned the bigger you get the more noticeable it would probably get but at 52 inches already it would have to be a huge screen to make it worth your while to pay through the nose for a 1080p.That's what I've been reading also. It's kinda like the plasma screen's when they first came out and people would get them to brag and say they have a plasma screen TV. It just seems that 1080p is the new bragging tool since plasma's are common now adays

railven
11-14-06, 09:49 AM
Hey Pinball link that article if you can.

In terms of viewable image quality, yeah 1080i and 1080p aren't very different to the common eye. But once they toss text up there, you will see a difference. Text on 1080i looks fuzzier because it doesn't have the resolution that 1080p has.

Also at faster frame rates or actions the 1080i shows a bunch of cutting/slicing of the image. I learned this on FPS such as Doom3/Quake 4 when I was trying to understand the difference between 720i/720p. Since progressive draws the lines in one sweep, rather then every other line as interlace does, the smoothness is noticeable. I wonder if C-NET controlled for this by showing fast sliding images, and by fast I mean in excess of 30 frames per second.

I'll agree right now, unless you have the cash, 1080p isn't all that. But give it maybe till Q2-07 for it to drop price, HD content material to drop price, and Comcast, or whatever is your local cable company, to offer promotions out the rear for you to try their HD content then I predict better sales and better technology.

Eventually, it will come down to a HD-TV at about 32" with 1080p/HDMI support costing us maybe $600. I'd pay for that. Just give it time, just like the plasma's dropped those 1080p's we'll drop and all those not-super-rich-tech-gadget-geek and their mother will be picking them up. I can only imagine what new technology will be available by then...

The only reason I really love capitalism is the open competition among manufacturers and when they fight, we win [note that by winning I just mean new technology sooner thus old technology drops price so if you put that in terms of keeping up with technology we lose, bad.]

I can't run XP at 1080i because the text gets way to fuzzy to read even when I'm inches away from it. At 720i it looked fuzzy too but at 720p it looked gorgeous.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 09:51 AM
You know its one of those things that might be a precursor to something bigger and better and right now its just a bragging thing....
hopefully it becomes something of a standard...I love the fact that technology is getting to where it is from ten years ago and the prices are dropping faster than a FX51 processor.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 09:59 AM
here are a couple links.....
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6661274-1.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6361600-1.html

railven
11-14-06, 10:01 AM
Sorry guys I have to get this out of my system, after reading the PS3 reviews.

WTF? Why are people still whining about the price? That is no reason to give it a bad score. Okay, ask yourself how much would you pay for the following:
60GB HD
Multi Card Reader
Wifi integration
Wireless controller
BLU-RAY DVD drive
???

Buy all that seperately and you won't even come close to a $600 USD price tag.

OMG!

These people are idiots! It's like me buying a 2006 STS-V then giving the car a 2/10 because it cost me too much. WTF? Is there no common sense?

"360 is only $400 USD" yeah but no 60GB HDD, no WiFi, no HD-DVD player, no multi-card reader [yeah I know you get a USB port right?], and if you bought the accessories and upgrades to match the PS3 launch guess what thats more then $600 USD!

[No intended attacks at Microsoft, just sick of people bitching and whining about the price and giving the system a 1/10 rating because of that.]

railven
11-14-06, 10:04 AM
Haha, curious you a Conroe Supporter? I was backing Intel when they were getting their rear handed to them I'm finally smiling they have a core on the top. AMD won't let it go for too long, but its good to, sort of childish I know, point at the AMD fanboys and laugh.

AMD was the best thing that ever happened to Intel. Now I'm worried about AMD+ATI VS INTEL, I think they should buy out NVIDIA and then we'll see some awesome fireworks.

railven
11-14-06, 10:13 AM
Not that I whole-heartedly agree with C-Net but their review gave the Wii a 8.0, the PS3 a 8.8, and the 360 back at launch a 8.4.

This technically means nothing, if you buy your purchases based on your own opinions, but just gives you an idea of what C-NET thinks.

Hehe I'm at C-NET now thanks to Pinball!

:)

railven
11-14-06, 10:22 AM
Engadget now saying that apparently the new PS3's are not totally backwards compatible. The menus in games like Final Fantasy and grand Turismo are not showing properly and the games are freezing up. But I guess they have a software fix for it in the works.

Dang, so now I have to wait for patches? Reminds me of PS2 with that feature turned on. Dang what was it? In the menu before loading, that its supposed to make PS1 games look a bit crispier but if you ran it it caused your game to freeze sometimes?

They fixed that with a firmware revision after launch but I forgot what it was called...anyways.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 11:41 AM
on cnet I usually go by the readers overall rating.....not cnets. CNET goes by everything and not discounting anything over another thing.
What i mean is for example...acamera I am looking at getting doesn't have a view finder. Okay but with a 3" LCD screen who needs it. How many people use a digital point and shoot camera by looking through the view finder?
But that was a point against to them.

Blackout
11-14-06, 12:39 PM
Wow! On my other car forum I am on there have been so many people oging to their Best Buy's, Circuit City's, and other electronic stores to chekc out the PS3 display's and damn near everybody is reporting that when they get there they find that it's frozen. I didn't believe it until I went to Target last night and saw it myself. I used to work at the target back when I was in high school and a buddy of mine who works in the electronic department was wokring there and I was asking him as to why they didn't reset it and he was like because it would just freeze back up and they just got tired of having to unlock the display to restart it.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 12:45 PM
I have seen the same thing here today and yesterday. I went to two targets and 3 best Buys and a circuit city. Only one was playing anything and it was a demo video just overviewing the PS3. Might have been a DVD player showing the video and just a case with a PS3 in it. I remember when the 360 came out Iwent everywhere looking for them on display...one place had one and on the back they had a CPU fan hooked up to it. I knew the exact name of the fan and everything. I asked them if they have any problems with it freezing or overheating they said its working fine. I said maybe the fans helping that out they proceeded to act like the fan had nothing to do with it. LOL! They hated that I called them out on it...

chuckdobbins
11-14-06, 12:47 PM
I work at Target, we haven't set up the display yet, unless they did it sometime after 430 yesterday.

But it's already been signed and prepped. One thing I noticed, the display case really has no ventilation. We'll be lucky if the console makes it to Xmas!

Blackout
11-14-06, 12:47 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061114_767472.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _businessweek+exclusives

railven
11-14-06, 12:49 PM
You called them on it Pinball.

Most places, I don't know Target for sure but if its like the one I've seen at our Target then yes, close the damn consoles up in a small pexi-glass box with, usually, the damn power strip in there with it.

I'd love for them to do that with their PC's and then scratch their heads as they ask "why does it keep freezing/rebooting?"

They did it to the X-Box, the GC, the PS2/PSlim, the 360 and now obviously the PS3. When will they learn to stick the damn thing in a well ventilated area.

It just looks bad for the store and the product.

railven
11-14-06, 12:55 PM
http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061114_767472.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index _businessweek+exclusives

The article ends with "embarassing setback."

Hey Pinball called it earlier, wait for the patches. If you'd use that as a bash against Sony remember MS did it first, with Halo1/2 their biggest games coming up almost half a year later with patches for the games to work on their 360, and then I think again about the whole Win 98 to Win ME problem that gave Microsoft's operating system division a true scare.

Sony will fix those things with time.

I'm realizing I won't be able to get my PS3 so if anyone has a hook-up, holla back youngin! haha.

gothicaleigh
11-14-06, 01:12 PM
For Japan being their biggest market and there only being 100,000 units they've only sold a little bit over 88,000 units in two days. I guess the Japanese are waiting for the Wii instead. BTW my report about there supposedly only being 80k units because of a diode issue were false. My bad

Sony plans to ship 6 million PS3s in the fiscal year ending in March, but right now the demand for the game consoles seems to be outstripping supply. In big cities across Japan, several retailers said they were in the dark about how the initial 100,000 PS3s would be divvied up among stores. Within hours of their release, the consoles had sold out.
<snip>

Bic Camera [an electronics mega-store in Japan] said it had never had so many people turn up for the launch of a new product—not even the PS3's predecessor, PlayStation 2. http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/nov2006/gb20061112_045318.htm

:gothicaleigh:

So which is it?

Jesda
11-14-06, 01:24 PM
Oh Snap!!!!

railven
11-14-06, 02:33 PM
I drove down to Best Buy to see if they had these network phones I need for my place and I saw their PS3 display.

It was up and running, one of the employees was playing with I guess a customer and I asked if they had any heating issues.

Paraphrase:
"Yeah it froze up probably four times. One guy from the computer department said it was overheating so we stuck a fan in there and its been fine since maybe 11."

I got to play it, I got a 30second clip on my phone to show my coworker at work, and my first impression:

It's not that bad. I played Motor Storm and I didn't notice as many jaggies as I thought I would. The game is running on at least 2xAA. When the map loaded up and the cars where all shown at the starting line I noticed a bog down in frames but it wasn't terrible, just noticeable. The shadowing was terrible. Definately not next-gen shadowing under the cars as the camera panned around them but then again that could be more the developer then the hardware.

The controller's new L2/R2 Triggers feel weird. They feel more like triggers then actually buttons, ala Dual Shock2, and the fact that its missing force feedback really pisses me off. They could have worked around that lawsuit. I'm sure third party might bring it back if developers leave in the code for the motors to pick it up.

The system itself is UGLY! I should have paid more attention to those dimensions. Its HUGE. It does look sleek but its size doesn't help it at all. The 360 is about 60-70% smaller. I guess thats what you get for leaving the PSU inside.

Oh well, the graphics on Motor Storm are really nice. Little jaggies, good loading time, controls are responsive, though not GT/GPR but they get the job done, my favorite feature was the detail on the canyons and road signs. They gave a realistic effect. I wish your car didn't explode so easily. But after it explodes the game has a cool feature like that found in Burn Out where you can pan around the wreckage in a slow motion speed absorbing whatever carnage you may have created - I created very little outside of my own car bursting into flames.

I only spent like ten minutes wiht the thing my girlfriend kill me if I didn't find those phones.

All in all I still smell success for the PS3.

xxpinballxx
11-14-06, 02:42 PM
I think the shadowing is mostly the game developer itself. On one site I saw some of Tony hawk and the shadowing there was amazing!
I really think it will be a phenomenal machine! I won't get rid of my 360 but still a great success. Might take a couple shipments but hey there are always bugs to work out.
On another note today at a babbages I over heard the salesman on the phone with who I think was another worker. He said that they are only getting 8 systems..4 being core and no one ordered the core! I can't believe that 8 is all they are getting!
I am off monday through Thursday of next week and plan on giving a full review after I thoroughly play myself into a coma!

railven
11-15-06, 01:07 AM
I think I deviced a plan how to increase the likeliness that I'd get one...muahaha.

If it fails, I'll be looking for that review!

dp102288
11-15-06, 10:39 AM
I am glad I am done with vid games. Its getting too expensive. I remember when the Sega Genesis was $100!

DopeStar 156
11-15-06, 11:13 AM
Tomorrow night, me and my cousin are goin' to Walmart at 3 AM and campin' out in the car until 7 when they open. Our Walmart has a sweet deal because they open earlier than everyone else and they're giving out rainchecks to the first 10 people who don't get one so you'll get one the second time around......

xxpinballxx
11-15-06, 05:09 PM
well here there are already people camped out at Best buys around here and its only 40 degrees and raining. They don't even go onsale for another 30 hours.

SpeedyArizona
11-15-06, 10:28 PM
Well this was a very interesting thread, some of you should be game designers. I guess I don't know half as much as any of you on gaming systems, heck they're all the same to me (I love Grand Theft Auto though..).

Well I'll be camping out at the local Best Buy tomorrow night and hopefully be able to snag 1 or 2 of the PS3's for Christmas gifts. I plan on getting my nephew one even though he has a 360. $600 does sound a bit steep to me but I've heard they're worth it. I don't know if they're limiting the number of PS3's you can purchase but I hope not! I'll probably be lucky if I get 1 but I'm aiming for 2...

Anyway this was an interesting read:thumbsup:.

gary88
11-15-06, 10:37 PM
Most stores are enforcing the "1 per household" rule. If you plan on getting more than 1, I'd take a couple people with you.

railven
11-16-06, 10:17 AM
Well I just finished my dashing game of phone rouelette and I won't be getting a PS3 on launch day.

It brings a tear to my eye.

Well there is still one last thing I can do, call out of work and camp out, but that depends on how the local Best Buy/Wal-Mart/Target/who-else-sells-em looks.

Who ever scores one and doesn't E-Bay it, grats!

I'm gonna go buy FF3 and a Black DS Lite...I feel depressed.