: BMW confirms 6 speed manual for M5 for 2007 (longest write up ever!)

Blackout
11-07-06, 12:37 PM
WINDING ROAD - 2006 9:53 AM

http://news.windingroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/2007-bmw-m5-at-speed.jpg (http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/hallelujah-bmw-confirms-six-speed-manual-for-2007-m5/)

BMW has finally relented to enthusiast?s cries, and has announced that for 2007, its M5 (http://www.windingroad.com/features-page/bmw-m5-cadillac-cts-v/)will have a conventional six-speed manual transmission available as a no-cost option. Up until this point, the super-saloon has only been available with the automaker?s complex (and controversial) SMG unit.
Interestingly, the new drivetrain option will be available only to North American consumers, and we can?t remember the last time our part of the world received a manual and the rest of the world didn?t (traditionally, the inverse has been true). It will be interesting to see if M5 buyers in other corners of the world grown ornery enough to cajole BMW to offer a self-cogswapper for their markets in a future iteration.
WINDING ROAD has also been informed that a similar manual-transmission offering is in the works for the M6 coupe, as well.
For 2007, M5 pricing starts at $83,195. If an $80k sedan can strike as a good value, an M5 with a six-speed manual might just be it. Now, if we could just convince BMW to make iDrive a no-cost delete option?
(Complete press release after the jump)[INDENT] THE 2007 BMW M5:
Sports Car Performance, Luxury Sedan Comfort
Woodcliff Lake, NJ ? November 1, 2006?Since 1984, four generations of M5s have delighted driving enthusiasts with a combination of breathtaking performance, stunning agility and elegant luxury to create a unique driving experience. The current M5, introduced to the American market in October of 2005, takes those attributes to an even higher level than its predecessors with new design, new technology and new engineering to create what truly can be considered an intriguing combination of a sports car and a luxury sedan.

DaveSmed
11-07-06, 09:10 PM
Damn, its still ugly though.

As great of an idea as the SMG is, it shouldn't have been the ONLY option. About time.

Still cant beat this

dp102288
11-08-06, 11:49 AM
I would take the SMG over the traditional manual.

What are the benefits? (don't mean to be an ass, but I really don't know)

Wiseguy2
11-08-06, 01:08 PM
I have one on order.. was supposed to have it end of the month, now they are saying maybe January. Truth be told, I'm probably going to give my spot in line to one of my customers.. try as I might, I never warmed up to the car.

Dave, that's an M535i.. a non-M engined 535i with the M-Technic bodykit. I think the owner of that car's on an E28 board I'm a member of.

Here's my M5... bought it in feb with 161k, now it's pushing 178k and I dont drive it all the time!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/motorsportrecycling/m5track1.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/motorsportrecycling/m5track6.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/motorsportrecycling/m5track8.jpg

DaveSmed
11-08-06, 04:00 PM
You have an E28 M5? Lucky! I must admit i'm more of an E30 head myself but that M88.... damn. (would be the catalyzed S38 in yours, correct?)

I've been keeping my eye open lately for a reasonably priced E30, or E28 (non ETA) 5-spd. Judging by my last E30, the four that my friends have, and the ones I come across looking for one to buy your mileage is still fairly low. One of the reasons i'm MUCH more partial to the older BMWs. The newer ones just don't seem to hold up...

Good luck with your M5!

Wiseguy2
11-08-06, 11:22 PM
You have an E28 M5? Lucky! I must admit i'm more of an E30 head myself but that M88.... damn. (would be the catalyzed S38 in yours, correct?)

I've been keeping my eye open lately for a reasonably priced E30, or E28 (non ETA) 5-spd. Judging by my last E30, the four that my friends have, and the ones I come across looking for one to buy your mileage is still fairly low. One of the reasons i'm MUCH more partial to the older BMWs. The newer ones just don't seem to hold up...

Good luck with your M5!

David,

It's my baby! It's actually Serial #7 (2791007) and a pilot build car. It's something of a labor of love. It's an S38 as it's a US-Spec car, the M88/1 was the M1 engine and the M88/3 was the Euro M635/M5 engine. The M88/1 sucks to work on.. sort of a 6-cyl version of the 2002tii's Kugelfischer injection, the tii repair manual saved my butt on mine!

A good friend of mine in Philly is selling his '88 M5. Cracked dash, decent front seats, otherwise borderline perfect. Asking $11/bo for it. 185k on chassis, motor has under 80k IIRC.

You been on mye28.com yet?

DaveSmed
11-10-06, 02:59 PM
Wow, what a find! Haven't been on that forum yet, but i'll definitely check it out. I'm over on e30tech.com though.

You don't think your friend would consider a trade with a old chevy van? Hopefully? Maybe? Possibly? :D

AznPrydeRegalRyde
11-10-06, 04:30 PM
Does the 6 speed make the car look any different? New BMW's fit into the category of "a face only a mother could love". Or if you're last name is Bangle.

fast66
11-11-06, 03:29 AM
so is the same gonna happen to the m6?

Wiseguy2
11-13-06, 02:03 AM
Does the 6 speed make the car look any different? New BMW's fit into the category of "a face only a mother could love". Or if you're last name is Bangle.

I wish! The ugliness of the new BMWs has really kept me from being absolute about the new M5. If the STS-V was available in a 6-speed, I'd go that way, ditto the S8.

As for the M6.. no idea, but I would think so.

AznPrydeRegalRyde
11-13-06, 11:47 PM
I wish! The ugliness of the new BMWs has really kept me from being absolute about the new M5. If the STS-V was available in a 6-speed, I'd go that way, ditto the S8.

As for the M6.. no idea, but I would think so.Ive driven the new m5 and its everything an M5 should be. And while others dislike the fact that in normal mode, its only 400 hp, I love the fact that a button changes a cars demeanor. And I for one, dont overly care what a vehicle looks like...to a point. The new M5, to me, is just like the Mx-5 Miata. Doesn't matter how it performs, when it looks that bad. And if the M5 had a nicer more inviting interior, I could look past the outside. The interior of the M5 is as cold as your wife after she catches you looking at her younger hotter sisters ass.

dp102288
11-14-06, 10:27 AM
^^ LOL at the last line.

Maybe I am shallow, but I need a good looking car for all that money. If it were $25,000 for that powertrain, it could look like the Yugo for all I care.

Wiseguy2
11-17-06, 04:05 AM
I dunno. I've specced the car out and it's $93,125. For that kind of money, I have a real hard time spending that kind fo money on a car that every time I look at it I think "Yuck".