: How To: Remove your air bag & steering wheel

iametarq
11-07-06, 09:48 AM
Since I installed a new steering wheel this weekend (the one with wood grain, thanks CaddyDaddy!!) I took some pictures and documented the process. It's not that hard, just tests your nerves since you're dealing with the airbag.

**DISCLAIMER: I take no responsiblity for your personal injury if you do this wrong...I'm a home mechanic, not a pro.**

1. With the car running turn you steering wheel so that the button controls on the wheel are at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.

2. Turn off the car.

3. Remove the Air Bag fuse #8 from under the back seat, and disconnect the negative battery terminal. Let the car sit for at least 15 minutes (this is what I was told!)

4. Using a flat bladed screw driver insert and twist about 90* while pulling out on one corner that corner of the airbag. See picture below. You will do this on all 4 corners. This is the view from the rear of the steering wheel.

http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-IMG_5486.JPG

5. Remove all electrical connectors on the back of the airbag and your two steering wheel control buttons. there are a total of 6 connections to be removed. Back of air bag is pictured below, sorry I forgot to get a shot of the back sides of the buttons.

http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-IMG_5487.JPG

6. If you only need to replace your steering wheel control buttons you will see two Torx screws on the back side of each control, unscrew and replace the unit and you are done! (after you reconnect everything).

7. To continue on with removing the steering wheel reach for your 21mm socket, and remove the nut.

http://gallery.iametarq.com/cars/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-IMG_5489.JPG

8. Using a steering wheel puller that has "hooks" at the ends, follow the instructions with your kit to remove the steering wheel (i have no pictures of this installed, since it was quite the ordeal for me...I didn't have a puller with the "Hooks" instead of bolts...get the right one, it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier.

9. Once the wheel is off and you go to re-install, make sure you have it lined up correctly. The steering wheel nut is tightened to 35 foot lbs.

Enjoy. :)

dp102288
11-08-06, 10:03 AM
Good write up! :thumbsup:

OffThaHorseCEO
11-11-06, 12:12 PM
8. Using a steering wheel puller that has "hooks" at the ends, follow the instructions with your kit to remove the steering wheel (i have no pictures of this installed, since it was quite the ordeal for me...I didn't have a puller with the "Hooks" instead of bolts...get the right one, it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier.

i ended up punchin myself in the mouth while riggin some shit up since i got the wrong puller haha, i had the old school one with the bolts....

i tried and tried and i was pissed. i had rigged up some clotes hangers to give the bolt setup something to pull on, basically the clothes hangers were the hooks, anyways, i yanked and yanked and turned the bolt and punched my mouth, and took a break called my girl to calm me down cause i was pissed and then went back out, was about to undo everything, as soon as i touched it it popped off

needless to say i was a happy camper after that

N-star
12-15-06, 10:39 AM
I was wondering how to do this, thanks

Dadillac
12-16-06, 09:05 AM
I also bought the wrong puller. I ended up making hooks out of a universal battery hold down bracket. It came with two lonng hooks that were threaded on the ends. It took a while but worked out fine.

Don

K_cin_az
06-13-08, 02:19 PM
anyone happen to still have this guide with the pics also!?

ferp
11-15-09, 02:19 PM
Got every thing off but the yellow airbag wire. Question, does it unplug from the airbag or do I take the yellow cap off. When I removed the cap it looked like the wires were not unplugable.

iametarq
04-14-11, 11:38 AM
Re-post with the picture links fixed.

Since I installed a new steering wheel this weekend (the one with wood grain, thanks CaddyDaddy!!) I took some pictures and documented the process. It's not that hard, just tests your nerves since you're dealing with the airbag.

**DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for your personal injury if you do this wrong...I'm a home mechanic, not a pro.**

1. With the car running turn you steering wheel so that the button controls on the wheel are at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.

2. Turn off the car.

3. Remove the Air Bag fuse #8 from under the back seat, and disconnect the negative battery terminal. Let the car sit for at least 15 minutes (this is what I was told!)

4. Using a flat bladed screw driver insert and twist about 90* while pulling out on one corner that corner of the airbag. See picture below. You will do this on all 4 corners. This is the view from the rear of the steering wheel.

http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-f1180086080.jpg

5. Remove all electrical connectors on the back of the airbag and your two steering wheel control buttons. There are a total of 6 connections to be removed. Back of air bag is pictured below, sorry I forgot to get a shot of the back sides of the buttons.

http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-f1180089464.jpg

6. If you only need to replace your steering wheel control buttons you will see two Torx screws on the back side of each control, unscrew and replace the unit and you are done! (after you reconnect everything).

7. To continue on with removing the steering wheel reach for your 21mm socket, and remove the nut.

http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/.cache/640x480-f1180068168.jpg

9. Once the wheel is off and you go to re-install, make sure you have it lined up correctly. The steering wheel nut is tightened to 35 foot lbs.

Enjoy. :)

All pictures: http://autos.marktarquini.com/cadillac%201998%20seville%20sls/interior/steering%20wheel/

Brandon Meats
03-23-13, 02:50 PM
I tackled this project last weekend. Got a wood grain wheel from eBay and wanted to switch it out. Two things I wanted to cover with this just for info for anyone else. One is I didn't have the proper puller myself, just the old style. I loosened the nut off a few threads while still leaving it on and used my Snap-On slide hammer with the hook attachment. I hooked it under the corners near the nut, gave it a few whacks and the wheel broke loose. Took the nut the rest of the way off and the wheel came right out. The second thing I wanted to say is be careful with the air bag plug. I wasn't exactly sure how it came out, so I popped it out of the socket that goes right to the air bag (when the plug was out you could see it making a 90 degree L shape). I'm not sure if this was the correct method seeing as how during reinstall, the plug did not lock into the air bag properly, nor will it now no matter what I try. I thought I had it in place and it would hold, but now I have an air bag light on with code SDM B0022 "Left Front/Driver Frontal Deployment Loop (Single Stage or Stage 1) Resistance Low". I tried clearing the codes through the dash using the up and on/off method for checking and clearing codes and it did not clear. Next I plugged in my Snap-On Solus Ultra scanner and tried the same. the codes don't clear for even a second, they remain current constantly. Not sure if now I need a new air bag or what. Kind of upset about this, but thought I'd mention it so hopefully if anyone else tries this job, they might not end up in the same boat I'm in.