: "Original prices may not have resulted in actual sales"...

Spyder
11-06-06, 11:56 PM
That was the disclaimer line at the bottom of the Zales Diamonds commercial I just saw...made me laugh.

That is all.

Wiseguy2
11-07-06, 01:52 AM
LOL! Not surprised.. Zales is like, ripoff central.

dp102288
11-07-06, 10:54 AM
Wow. Alright, I'll be sure to stop in there for their sale!

CadillacGurl
11-07-06, 10:57 AM
I agree. Its pathetic how much they want for a nice engagement ring. I'll stick to the little family owned jewelry stores.

Florian
11-07-06, 11:06 AM
jewelry business is a ripoff, PERIOD. One of my best buds is a jeweller...the markup is insane. Chain stores are even worse. Most people have no idea what makes a good diamond, and then if they do, have no idea what they cost wholesale. Keeping the general public fleeced is what jewellers do best...

F

ChicagoCTS32
11-07-06, 01:56 PM
That's funny... I've been shopping for an engagement ring for quite a while. Just not quite ready to pull the trigger yet. At the zales site, you can see the cut, clarity, color, and carat information for the diamonds that they sell. They have a 3/4 ct F color (certified colorless) but I2 clarity for like $4000. I2 is junk. You can see the problems with the diamond with the naked eye. On this website: www.bluenile.com you can get the same color with a much nicer clarity and a bigger diamond for the same price. Zales, Jared, JB Robinson, and.... *drumroll please* TIFFANY are all extremely over priced. They could take a shit in a blue box and sell it for a $1000 at tiffany... ridiculous.

EcSTSatic
11-07-06, 02:08 PM
Personally, I think it's an artificial market, excuse the pun. They can create diamonds that even experts have a difficult time to detect.

If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...

ChicagoCTS32
11-07-06, 02:53 PM
Personally, I think it's an artificial market, excuse the pun. They can create diamonds that even experts have a difficult time to detect.

If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck...
You're right. I've read a lot about them and the companies that create the "artificial" diamonds are putting certain elements in them or marking them microscopically so they can be identified. The diamond market is a monopoly anyway. I think it's around 70-80% controlled by one british company. They only release diamonds into the market when they choose to do so. In South Africa, the diamond "miners" literally wear tin cans around their necks and crawl on their hands and knees and pick them up out of the sand. It's illegal to take a raw diamond out of South Africa.

Another fun thing about those lab created diamonds is that they can make fancy colored diamonds in blues, greens, yellows, pinks, etc. They originally used them for industrial purposes like cutting, but they've figured out ways to make them "pretty". The industrial ones were hard, and chemically identical to diamonds, but they weren't very nice to look at.

CadillacGurl
11-07-06, 03:06 PM
I can agree Tiffany's is overpriced. I get their catalogue and its insane how pricey some of their jewelry is. The only thing I have from Tiffany's is one the necklaces you see every girl wearing: my intitals inscribed on a heart. The other necklace you see is the Return to Tiffany's. Both necklaces run around $275 WITHOUT tax. With tax its around $300 its crazy.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 12:04 AM
I go to wholesales jewelers and they will straight up tell you how much they sell to the stores and how much they pay. Just for a little example I bought my ex a 2500 2 carat diamond tennis bracelet. One day we wandered into this wholesaler by our house and we were amazed at what the prices were. He saw her bracelet and said "for instance your bracelet I'll show you what we pay" He brought out a invoice with the exact bracelet and it was 395.00! I felt lke going to the jewelry store I bought it at and making the saleperson eat everyone of those damn diamonds in it one by one!

97DevilleBeige
11-08-06, 12:29 AM
It's so hard to shop for diamonds/jewelry because every peice is different. The best thing to do is familiarize yourself with size and clarity, choose a budget, then try your best to shop apples to apples. While profit margins vary greatly, some of the best places to get jewelry is either BJ's Wholesale Club (beleive it or not) and Helzberg Diamonds. Both offer stellar quality products and they both operate on a low(er) profit margin as a business practice.

xxpinballxx
11-08-06, 12:46 AM
we have a place here in cleveland called the jewelry factory. They are a wholesaler so to speak. Not rock bottom but not like a zales or rogers.

dp102288
11-08-06, 11:04 AM
^^ We have the jewerly factory in NJ too. I've never been but I have heard great things.

I just hope my future wife says, "no ring, just buy me a car".

She and the car will be more useful that way.

Wiseguy2
11-08-06, 12:09 PM
If you're in Jersey, you only have to go into Manhattan to the diamond district, that's where I buy jewelery... FAR better prices than anywhere else.

dp102288
11-09-06, 08:48 AM
^^ Really? Never knew about that.

Kael
11-09-06, 10:24 AM
chicagocts,
if you are really starting to shop around for a ring i will take you to the upcoming jewelry show, its in early december. this show is basically the people that actually make the rings, you can have anything resized on site and all prices are negotiable (if they dont, just leave). about 300 vendors.
for a clue my friend got his girls engagement ring with me at the show. he paid 3 grand for it and then gave it to her, she had it appraised for insurance, and to get it replaced at a normal store the ring spec's out to 15k.

my sister is a jeweler so thats how i found out about these shows.
but yeah, the markup is absolutley insane.
(500% markup is on the low end)
95% of the diamond market is controlled by debeers, and they aritifically inflate the price of diamonds by sitting on stockpiles. serious jerks.
but have you noticed how hard diamonds are being pushed in the last few years? gues what, they are terrified.
there have been two breakthroughs in artificial diamonds. one is a yellow diamond that can only be detected as man made with a gas spectrograph, the other is a clear diamond that is near perfect and can not be detected at all.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
I might go tanzanite instead. (more rare then diamond, prettier and gaining in value)

but i can take you shopping at the show, after that you will just laugh anytime you walk into the jewelry section of any store.

ChicagoCTS32
11-09-06, 03:05 PM
chicagocts,
if you are really starting to shop around for a ring i will take you to the upcoming jewelry show, its in early december. this show is basically the people that actually make the rings, you can have anything resized on site and all prices are negotiable (if they dont, just leave). about 300 vendors.
for a clue my friend got his girls engagement ring with me at the show. he paid 3 grand for it and then gave it to her, she had it appraised for insurance, and to get it replaced at a normal store the ring spec's out to 15k.

my sister is a jeweler so thats how i found out about these shows.
but yeah, the markup is absolutley insane.
(500% markup is on the low end)
95% of the diamond market is controlled by debeers, and they aritifically inflate the price of diamonds by sitting on stockpiles. serious jerks.
but have you noticed how hard diamonds are being pushed in the last few years? gues what, they are terrified.
there have been two breakthroughs in artificial diamonds. one is a yellow diamond that can only be detected as man made with a gas spectrograph, the other is a clear diamond that is near perfect and can not be detected at all.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
I might go tanzanite instead. (more rare then diamond, prettier and gaining in value)

but i can take you shopping at the show, after that you will just laugh anytime you walk into the jewelry section of any store.

That could be a possibility. Keep me in the loop.

Kael
11-10-06, 10:03 AM
will do. much of the vendors are there offloading special inventory. odd rings, artsy pieces, large stones with minor flaws (you wouldnt notice the flaw, i might, with a jewelers loop on)
if you are serious about buy and not just shopping these guys will bend over backwards, but be prepared to invest some time in haggling. I save my friend about a grand on the price of the ring. I asked if he was ready to buy today, as in check in hand and my buddy said yeah,, so i went back to the dealer that had th ering he liked and started talking to him (actually he had loose stones and my friend picked a setting that the dealer put together on the spot for him) "hey, what can you do on price, we are looking for a buy today, lets get him a ring and you some commision" money in hand will make their eyes light up and they will bend over backward to work with you, but be reasonable, these guys do have to feed their kids and all, but let them fleece the next guy not you. educate yourself before shopping, but dont be an idiot know it all about it. okay, chicagocts, you know mortgages and its always easier to talk to someone that knows a little but know that they KNOW only a little. most of the people are nice but its sort of an unwritten rule that if you start a serious haggling process (taking a lot of time) that you should be ready to buy after the haggling, time is money for them, thats not to say that if you are not happy with the finall price you have to buy but dont waste your time if you are not serious.

its a real interesting sub culture.

dp102288
11-12-06, 10:15 AM
Because Debeers controls the market, diamonds are preceived to be rare. they aren't more than other stones, so I don't care for them. Personally, i like Sapphires (sp?). Especially the deep blue ones. No diamond looks that good.

Its believed many precious stones are in fact more rare than diamonds, but no one hogs all of those to create the monopoly Debeers has.