: Big Midwest Meet! Des Moines, Iowa -- May 18-19 2007 -- Porky's Diner -- Track Time!

Pages : [1] 2

JRau
11-06-06, 08:40 PM
Any interest in a midwest meet this coming spring? Central Iowa might be a good spot for several surrounding states--not too far away for Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-06-06, 09:01 PM
I'd be up for it!

Flyin-Ryan
11-06-06, 10:37 PM
sounds pretty cool

xxpinballxx
11-07-06, 11:27 AM
I could take a long weekend and drive ot from cleveland as long as its not at the first of the month. I would need it to be the thrid or fourth weekend of the month.

JRau
11-07-06, 12:19 PM
I could take a long weekend and drive ot from cleveland as long as its not at the first of the month. I would need it to be the thrid or fourth weekend of the month.

I'll keep that in mind if the plans come together.

JRau in central Iowa

Cadillac_Fan
11-07-06, 12:46 PM
This would be great. One of the forum members remarked that he had a rapport with an area Cadillac dealer who may sponsor/cosponsor a meet.

On a related note, I am surprised Cadillac (corporate) doesn't host annual, nationwide meets for entusiasts, collectors and the like. (Pardon my cynicism and forgive my saying so, yet I guess Cadillac is too busy dreaming up the next HT-4100 or revealing a new Cimarron, which would likely be built on the Chevrolet Aveo platform.)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-09-06, 10:09 PM
So which month? April? May? March would still have snow so it would most likely be too early..

derrty_deville
11-10-06, 12:32 AM
Im in.

90Brougham350
11-10-06, 01:25 PM
April still has the possibility of snow or shitty weather, May would be my preference.

JRau
11-10-06, 07:31 PM
I agree, May sounds like the best month for something like this. No snow, warmer days, green grass, and flowering trees, etc. This will provide us with a great background for pictures!!

Provided we can get more people in on this, should we get "a block of rooms" at a hotel or just go it alone? Have any of you ever put something like this together? I may want to check with Sal or Urbanski to see how to put one of these things together.

We might get more cars and people if we can hook up with the Cadillac/LaSalle club. I think they have a chapter here in the Des Moines area, and the owner of Betts Cadillac has alot of older Cadillacs that are literally museum quality. Betts, btw, is the dealership I hope to connect with to host the show itself. They are a big dealership with lots of open areas and lots of traffic.

Anyway, if a couple of you want to assist me with getting this thing together, that would be great.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-10-06, 08:03 PM
I'd like to help! Just let me know!

JRau
11-10-06, 08:21 PM
I'll count you in! Should we set up a minimum number of participants to determine if we have enough interest to pull this thing off? Maybe I'll check with Sal or Urbanski... Let's do this well, and have fun at the same time.

Gotta clean out my pm boxes, and after I do, I'll pm you. We should exchange e-mails so that we can begin setting up a committee to work out the details. Wonder if 90Brougham350 would help with this?

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
11-11-06, 10:58 AM
Alright, I'd be glad to help, setting up the last Minnesota meet wasn't too hard at all. I just discovered that I'm graduating (well I guess I forgot) in May, so the first three weekends of May wouldn't work for me, maybe last weekend in May or the beginning of June?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-11-06, 11:38 AM
Works for me. I'll be able to come down for a Sat night- sunday sort of deal. I could do Monday too, but you guys all probably work on Monday.

JRau
11-11-06, 11:43 AM
If you're graduating, you'll have finals and all that kinda stuff. That's more important than a car show committee. I don't want to put too much on ya, its' ok. I might just keep asking you questions though-like what should be the cutoff for numbers before cancelling the show, for instance? What should be the minimum number of participants to make a go of it?

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
11-11-06, 12:11 PM
Well, since we'd all be driving at least a few hours, we should make this a good event. Obviously we won't get Florida numbers, but if we could get, I dunno, at least 10 guys, maybe 15 or 20, that would be better. Has addison been online lately? That would be at least one more Minnesota guy.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-12-06, 02:05 PM
We'll have to let Addison II know also, I wonder where he's been lately. He hasn't been around much...

89fatb
11-12-06, 05:55 PM
I would be all for a meeting in the midwest. I'm pretty sure I suggested it to NODIH a couple of months ago. Maybe he would be in? I don't know where you guys are thinking because I think I would only be for driving just a few hours. Twin cities,Chicago. I am about a hour west of milwaukee!

JRau
11-12-06, 06:36 PM
I would be all for a meeting in the midwest. I'm pretty sure I suggested it to NODIH a couple of months ago. Maybe he would be in? I don't know where you guys are thinking because I think I would only be for driving just a few hours. Twin cities,Chicago. I am about a hour west of milwaukee!

We're planning on Des Moines, Iowa, and we're thinking a late May meet. If you know of folks in the area that would be willing to come over to Des Moines, please let 'em know about us.

Thanks,

JRau in central Iowa

xxpinballxx
11-12-06, 07:00 PM
well i am willing to drive in but its like 11 hours for me....good thing Ilike roadtrips.

bigbluebrougham
11-13-06, 10:19 AM
I'm in!! That will give me plety of time to fix the body on my 1995 FWB and take a long road trip. Des Moines is about 7-8 hours drive for me. I agree with xxpinballxx, good thing I like road trips!! If there is anything I can do to help out Jrau, let me know! :)

bigbluebrougham in Northern SD

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-13-06, 10:43 AM
OOOO yes! An LT1 Brougham! I'm glad we've got somebody near by with one of those!

90Brougham350
11-13-06, 11:14 AM
Alright, let's spread the word. There's a lot of members who don't read anything but their vehicle forums. Let's send some PM's, get a list of names going.

JRau
11-13-06, 03:30 PM
Alright, let's spread the word. There's a lot of members who don't read anything but their vehicle forums. Let's send some PM's, get a list of names going.

Good idea 90Brougham350. I kinda have been--as I've read other posts elsewhere on this forum site, if a person was in the midwest, I'd invite 'em. In fact, I went on the "Indiana?" thread in this Cadillac Club/Meets forum and invited those 2 guys who posted on it. Haven't heard from them, yet.

I will try to connect with the Des Moines chapter of the Cadillac/LaSalle club to see if any of them would be interested in a meet. If that would happen, there's a great chance we'd have some real oldies there--1920's, 30's, 40', and 50's Cadillacs, in addition to our newer models. Could be pretty slick!

Also, I will call Betts Cadillac in Des Moines and see if they can host us on their lot. I'm sure you could look at their website for pics of their place. It's nice and they have a good reputation here in the Des Moines area.

Do we want to agree upon an actual date and see if we can get a hotel reserved? I think it was you who said the last weekend in May was your choice, and that would be ok with me, too. Are these things 2 day events or just one day? If a one day event, then probably Saturday, May 26, 2007 is our date. If it's a two day event, then what would all of us want: Friday and Saturday, or Saturday and Sunday? Thoughts?

Sorry for the long posting.... But now that I think about it, LOL!, I want a Cadillac crest under my name. If any of you all would be so kind as to give me some good reps, I'd be eternally grateful. :thumbsup: Now that it's even harder to get 'em, I would be even more proud. Something to share with the grandkids (whenever I get 'em) :)

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-15-06, 10:45 AM
Ok, guys, new information here!

I have contacted Betts Auto Campus (the Cadillac dealer in Des Moines) and they would be willing to host our club meet in May of 2007. She asked me to get her the details in writing, and she asked that I contact the Cadillac/LaSalle club to possibly coordinate with them. Apparently, (I didn't even know this myself) that club has a Cadillac show annually in August. I'm not sure if they have it at Betts Cadillac, but I'll check with them on this.

I do need to hear from y'all if we want a Friday/Saturday 5/25-26/07 show or a Saturday/Sunday 5/26-27/07 show so that I can get this information to her soon. Once the date is nailed down, and I get official approval from Betts to host it, I'll start calling hotels in the area for a block of rooms and discounted rates, etc.

Thanks!:dance: :woohoo:

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-15-06, 02:51 PM
Another great update! I visited with the president of the local chapter of the Cadillac/La Salle club about the possibility of working collaboratively on this upcoming meet. He was very interested, and was quite curious about our online community/club. I asked him to visit our website, etc. for more information.

He sounds like he will talk with the members of his club to see if they'd be interested in attending with their cars. He specifically asked about our vehicles ages. I told him that we have '70's thru the '07's primarily, and that is why I wanted to invite his club, as they have the older Cadillac models. That way, we'd have a well rounded meet with all decades of Cadillacs present.

I've exchanged e-mail addresses with him, as well as my contact at Betts Cadillac.

This is coming together, so tell all your Cadillac friends about this...

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-15-06, 02:56 PM
I'm in!! That will give me plety of time to fix the body on my 1995 FWB and take a long road trip. Des Moines is about 7-8 hours drive for me. I agree with xxpinballxx, good thing I like road trips!! If there is anything I can do to help out Jrau, let me know! :)

bigbluebrougham in Northern SD

Thanks for offering your help. I may need it in the future, but for now, what we need is to spread the word around about the meet. So, if there are CadillacOwners.com members you know of who could come to Des Moines relatively easily, have 'em log in to this thread so that I can keep a running tally of vehicles and people coming.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-15-06, 10:33 PM
I do need to hear from y'all if we want a Friday/Saturday 5/25-26/07 show or a Saturday/Sunday 5/26-27/07 show so that I can get this information to her soon.

A Saturday/Sunday show is the only way I could make it down. I work Tuesday-Saturday, with Sunday and Monday off. A trip to Des Moines from the Twin Cities is probably 4 hours, so that means I couldn't get down there on a Sat night until 830, and it would pretty much be over by the time I got there. Also, I'm probably not the only one that works Sat, and I know lots of people work Friday. If I did work Mon-Fri, it would still be easiest to do Sat/Sun. That way, people can get off work Friday evening, go home, pack, get ready and get to sleep. Saturday they start off by having some breakfast and hitting the road! For you, it's probably a 1 hr drive, for us Minnesota Owners, it's 3.5-5, depending on location, and for some of us, it's 8-11 hour. I figure if we do Sat/Sun, people will trickle in bit by bit on Sunday, anywhere from Noon-8 PM I suppose. That way, we can get settled in, set up and can do the meet and greet, go out to dinner and whatnot. We'll have plenty of time that way!

90Brougham350
11-15-06, 11:13 PM
Saturday or Sunday works for me (I'm assuming at this point). I'd probably only be able to do one day though, drive down and back.

JRau
11-15-06, 11:45 PM
Saturday or Sunday works for me (I'm assuming at this point). I'd probably only be able to do one day though, drive down and back.

Ouch!! That's alot of driving, dude. Well, at least you have something very comfy to ride in!:thumbsup:

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-06, 10:10 PM
So the shows on for late May??

Benzilla
11-19-06, 10:45 PM
If I can work everything out, I'll be there. It's about ten hours of driving, but I like long trips. I might rent a car, to keep the miles down, but the Phaeton could use a good workout, so we'll see. It couldn't be better that your having it in May lol.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-06, 10:50 PM
Heck, if you're worried about the Phaeton, just bring the '90! Its almost as cool, plus it'll get atleast 4MPG better on the highway!

Benzilla
11-19-06, 10:57 PM
I could take the '90, not that I care about 4mpg though lol. If I cared about mpg, would I be here? But the 425 is so cool on the highway. I dunno, we'll see.

I'd take the '83, but the trip would roll it over to 50,000 miles, which I dread.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-19-06, 11:14 PM
You've got three excellent D-bodies, bring any of them and we'll be in awe! :)

Jesda
11-19-06, 11:49 PM
I am tentatively in!

nickc50310
11-20-06, 12:54 AM
J count me in! I can help to organize as well. Just let me know whats up!

I can get ahold of some people at Eddyville and see about gettin us some time on the drag strip. Im sure alot of people would love that! We could have a day at the strip on Saturday and then the actual meet on Sunday. Saturday night we can do some partyin and drinkin! I can also see about getting us a group rate at a nice hotel.

We should shoot for the second to last weekend in May. the last weekend is Memorial day and I know alot of people probably already have travel plans. I normally go to the Lake of the Ozarks for that weekend and my family gets pissed if i dont go! LOL

Let me know!

JRau
11-20-06, 09:11 AM
J count me in! I can help to organize as well. Just let me know whats up!

I can get ahold of some people at Eddyville and see about gettin us some time on the drag strip. Im sure alot of people would love that! We could have a day at the strip on Saturday and then the actual meet on Sunday. Saturday night we can do some partyin and drinkin! I can also see about getting us a group rate at a nice hotel.

We should shoot for the second to last weekend in May. the last weekend is Memorial day and I know alot of people probably already have travel plans. I normally go to the Lake of the Ozarks for that weekend and my family gets pissed if i dont go! LOL

Let me know!

You rock, dude! Yeah, I don't even think about the track thing--come on, man, I've got a 5.0 L '91 Brougham. I don't ever think of racing it! LOL!
I would really like your help, actually, if you have contacts and stuff down there. I'm working on Betts (for the location site) and the Cadillac/LaSalle club (having them join us for the show). I can do the hotel reservations, if you would get us in to Eddyville, that would be awesome. Maybe you and I could arrange one special dinner out or something at a nice restaurant in Des Moines. Entertainment could be yours if you want. I'm married, so I can't be heading over to "The Lumberyard" or "Big Earl's Gold Mine," so you can plan that kind of stuff. :) LOL!!!

PM me your e-mail address, and I'll send you mine.

Thanks for the offer of help--we'll make this an awesome show!

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-20-06, 10:47 AM
Nick, I love the idea of having a race day on Saturday! Even if my 4.9L deVille is good for a low 16, it would be fun to see what everyone else could do! Nothing that's very competitive, just for fun!

90Brougham350
11-20-06, 11:38 AM
I'd be in for a little track action. It'd be fun to see what Isabella could actually do compared to a bone-stock Brougham. I suppose I could take the tools out of the trunk, might get me into the 17.2x's.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-20-06, 11:46 AM
Actually, a bone stock '91 Brougham with the 350 is good for a 17.1, I'd imagine Isabella (when did you come up with that?) would be good for a 16.9 or so.

I'd love to see Isabella race JRau's 305 Brougham. I wanna see what difference 45 cubes actually makes!

nickc50310
11-20-06, 01:03 PM
Sounds good guys! We will have to get some CTS's and Northstars so I have some worthy competition at the track! LOL, I kid I kid!

I can DEFINATELY take the entertainment and dinner portion. Before I set all this in motion we need to get some dates set. I know a couple strippers at one of the better clubs around Des Moines, LOL! Saturday night I would have some good bars/clubs to go to and get torn up. I would put us in a good location so no driving would be required. Im not really much into clubs but if guys wanted to Im down. I prefer bars where you can actually converse! I guess Im getting old! LOL! As for strip clubs thats a real possibility also- up to you guys. The strip clubs around here are open until like 6am and it is BYOB. I know all the best restaurants so I can line that up also. I would just need to know what kind of price range before picking a restaurant.

At this point we need to let the thread mature and see how many people we get.

90Brougham350
11-20-06, 01:41 PM
Actually, a bone stock '91 Brougham with the 350 is good for a 17.1, I'd imagine Isabella (when did you come up with that?) would be good for a 16.9 or so.

I'd love to see Isabella race JRau's 305 Brougham. I wanna see what difference 45 cubes actually makes!

Hmmm, I thought it was like 17.4. Cool.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-20-06, 02:02 PM
Strip bars could be fun! I'll be like the only one there not drunk though, as I'm only 19.

90Brougham350
11-20-06, 02:32 PM
I'll go to the bars, but I won't set foot in a strip bar. Chad, I'll accidentally buy too many drinks and need help with them....

Benzilla
11-20-06, 04:12 PM
Strip bars could be fun! I'll be like the only one there not drunk though, as I'm only 19.

You wouldn't be the only one... I hate western culture, if this was some shitty little country in the middle of nowhere, I'd already have a family and a pair of oxen lol.

JRau
11-20-06, 07:58 PM
I was kinda kidding on the strip bars, everyone. Des Moines has 'em, but I wouldn't suggest that for our activity--especially if the Cadillac/LaSalle club joins us. I get the impression that they are an older crowd (I could be WAY off here, but those I saw at this museum quality car show a few years ago were very wealthy, and were 50's + year olds. Nick50310: The Salisbury House--were you there?

I'm sure there's a group that would do the strip club, but we should also plan a regular bar thing, too for those who don't do the strip clubs.

Nick50310 brings up a good point about that last weekend in May being Memorial Day holiday. Oops, I forgot that one. A couple of you had conflicts earlier in May, as I recall--Brian, Chad? We do need to nail a date down so that we can get our attendance drive started. I hope we don't leave anyone in our club out, though...

What do you all think?

JRau in central Iowa

89fatb
11-24-06, 09:09 PM
in my opinion the sat/sun would be a better bet for me to show just cuz i normally work 7 days a week. this should be a good time. sounds like there will be some overwhelming rich guys there if that club shows, oh well looks like alot of people responding that are my age thats cool:)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-25-06, 02:49 PM
Well that's three for Sat/Sun. :)

Only 6 more months...

Feffman
11-26-06, 06:49 AM
J:

I may be able to attend (kids sports, work, etc.). Please keep me abreast.

On a similar note, why not contact Cadillac to see if they can get a speaker or somebody from the World Challenge race team to join us. The national Lotus Club (www.LotusLtd.org) does their annual event across the nation and gets support, speakers from Lotus USA and Lotus UK.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer
www.MVPTrackTime.com

JRau
11-26-06, 05:50 PM
Sat. & Sun. sound fine to me. Is that Memorial Day weekend ok for everyone? If not, we have the 12th/13th or the 19th/20th as other May options.

If everyone will let me know which weekend they'd prefer, we'll set the date. I'm fine with any weekend in May at this point.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-26-06, 09:09 PM
I'm fine with any weekend in May.

90Brougham350
11-26-06, 10:38 PM
19th/20th is best for me, although Memorial Day weekend (Saturday and Sunday, not Monday) would work too. The 12th/13th I'll be graduating and moving home.

JRau
11-27-06, 08:54 PM
Ok. I've heard back from most everyone who expressed interest, and the date for the Midwest Spring meet will be May 19th & 20th, 2007 at Betts Cadillac/Lexus/Hummer in Des Moines.

Now that we have this settled, I will let Betts know of the date, and recontact the Cadillac LaSalle club to inform them as well. Let's get the word out on this one so we get high attendance. If you know of members in your state who might be interested, let 'em know about this one.

Nick50310, could you go ahead and see if you can get us some track time in Eddyville (or was it Knoxville--can't remember). You and I could work on the hotel,food, and entertainment arrangements for the group--I kinda think I'd enjoy working on this part of it.

This will be fun, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

JRau in central Iowa

derrty_deville
11-27-06, 09:05 PM
It would be best to keep it off Memorial weekend so we dont end up in the holiday traffic on the roads and the places we go. But I am open any weekend in May

Im still in but I dont know if I'd get a hotel room quite yet. I am not above passing out in the parking lot/lobby. Im open to whatever activities and places we end up.

Is it illegal for you to take a Saturday off Chad? Im sure you'll have 3-4 months notice for an exact date.

90Brougham350
11-28-06, 12:50 AM
Alright! May 19th and 20th it is!

nickc50310
11-28-06, 09:36 AM
What day are we actually going to Betts? Saturday or Sunday? I need to know so I can tell Eddyville what day we want. I will be there! My brother will be in for the actual meet but probably not the track. He doesnt like racing his STS as much since Ive proven my CTS is faster! He will go to the track though! I got 2 friends with Caddies that arent on the forum but Im sure they would be down to go. I also have a couple friends with fast cars that would go to the track but they dont have caddies.

I should have at least 4 Caddy owners rollin with me including myself. Maybe I could get my dad out with his bone stock 02 Escalade also, that would make 5!

90Brougham350
11-28-06, 10:21 AM
That would be great! Encourage those friends of yours with Caddies to join! We can always use new members.

Flyin-Ryan
11-28-06, 11:58 AM
I just read this whole thing. I posted on day one and never came back to see this thread. Im in and 19th/20th is best for me. Count on another CTS being there. Can someone handle the hotel situation?

Where are my other CTS peeps

addison_ii
11-28-06, 04:39 PM
The dates sound fine. We [wife and I] have those days off and should [hopefully] be able to come on down and live it up with my Caddy Brothers & Sisters.

JRau
11-28-06, 06:41 PM
What day are we actually going to Betts? Saturday or Sunday? I need to know so I can tell Eddyville what day we want. I will be there! My brother will be in for the actual meet but probably not the track. He doesnt like racing his STS as much since Ive proven my CTS is faster! He will go to the track though! I got 2 friends with Caddies that arent on the forum but Im sure they would be down to go. I also have a couple friends with fast cars that would go to the track but they dont have caddies.

I should have at least 4 Caddy owners rollin with me including myself. Maybe I could get my dad out with his bone stock 02 Escalade also, that would make 5!

Excellent, Nick! The more the merrier. I would think that Betts would appreciate having the meet on Saturday, when they have customers coming in anyway. That way they would get some good publicity and foot traffic to their dealership. Sunday they are closed, so I don't know that they would want us on their property without someone from the dealership present. I will ask them which day works better, but I'm betting it's gonna be Saturday.

Tomorrow 11/29 is a wicked busy day for me, so I won't be able to call my contact there until the 30th.

Does Eddyville need to know how many are racing? Is there a cost involved in that? If so, how does that work--per race, per vehicle, per car club??

Great to have your help! Thanks.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-28-06, 06:52 PM
I just read this whole thing. I posted on day one and never came back to see this thread. Im in and 19th/20th is best for me. Count on another CTS being there. Can someone handle the hotel situation?

Where are my other CTS peeps

Flyin Ryan: Nick50310 and I will work on the hotel scene. Having never set something like this up for such a diverse group of people (age, marital status, etc.) are folks more interested in cheaper motel chains (Motel 6, Super 8, etc.) or do you want to sample some of Des Moines finer hotels (Savory Hotel, Embassy Suites on the River, etc.) Some younger guys were cool with just crashin' in their cars overnight!

So what kind of budget for overnight accomodations are you interested in? I'll try to get us the best deal wherever we go.

And eventually, we'll want to start thinking about a restaurant for Saturday night. Do we want an Applebee's, Outback Steak House type of place, a pizza joint, a local Mexican place, or a fancy restaurant? Maybe Saturday's lunch is a awesome grill your own burgers on the grille event. The other meals could be on our own, but I'd like us all to do at least one meal together, just for fun!

Comments/thoughts?

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
11-28-06, 08:05 PM
I would think in the interest of ease and low-cost something like Applebee's would be good. Applebee's or TGI's, or something like that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-28-06, 09:33 PM
5/19 it is! I believe I can get it off, I'll just have to switch days with my coworker.

JRau
11-28-06, 10:38 PM
5/19 it is! I believe I can get it off, I'll just have to switch days with my coworker.

Great! I was hoping with this much notice, you could work something out with your employer! I wanna see that Sedan DeVille--Angelina, I believe????:)

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-28-06, 11:12 PM
Angie. :)

I'll let Scott know tomorrow. I'll have to work his Monday so he can work my Saturday.

derrty_deville
11-29-06, 11:12 PM
Anyways, what options do we have for eating and killing time? Someone local could start a list to pick from.

JRau
11-30-06, 06:20 AM
derrty deville and others:

Funny thing: I was on the CTS forum (for the first time ever) and noticed a thread there about our meet in Iowa. Some of the guys were messing around with Flyin'Ryan and Nick C50310 about why Iowa was chosen as a place for a meet and what in the world is there to do, etc. Sounded like some of the Chicago guys weren't comin' because of the above, and I felt bad for Flyin'Ryan, so I wrote a response.

With this request from you derrty deville, I copied/pasted an excerpt from my post over in the CTS forum. Here it is:

"As far as what to do in Des Moines? Des Moines has much of what Chicago has to offer (especially for a 2 day event) on a smaller scale, of course with less traffic, less people, less cost, and less parking hassles. Don't get me wrong though, I love Chicago--esp. Navy Pier! However, look what we can offer: For those interested in cultural events/places, we have the Des Moines Art Center, Des Moines Playhouse, a brand new Science Center with IMAX theater, and the Civic Center. For families with kids, Des Moines offers a zoo, the science center (again), Living History Farms, the beautiful Botanical Center, Saylorville Lake (for boating, swimming, hiking/bicycling), mini golf, ice skating, and Laser tag. For the shoppers, there's at least a half dozen shopping malls, and a couple antique malls. For history buffs, there's the State House, governor's mansion, and several historic mansions that provide guided tours. For the guys, lots of bars, a billiards hall, the track in Eddyville that Nick is working on getting us some track time, golf courses, gambling casinos, horse racing, the Iowa Cubs baseball team, strip clubs, and a comedy club."

I am hoping that all members here (singles, guys with families, seniors,etc.) will feel like there's plenty to do and see here in this area. We want a great turnout and successful event.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
11-30-06, 06:25 AM
Angie. :)

I'll let Scott know tomorrow. I'll have to work his Monday so he can work my Saturday.

Dude! There's a thread to start: What nickname have you given your Cadillac (s)? Has that one been taken before? Hmmmm...

I call my '91 "Cynthia"--kind of an elegant name for an elegant lady: Cynthia the Cadillac... Sort of silly, but oh, well.:bigroll:

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
11-30-06, 07:45 AM
Hey Jrau,

Im sure its good up there and I think Flyflip from CHI will be there (probably others). As long as you can get a handful of CTS people to go I'll make the trip. Its a bit longer of a drive for me than the chicago people but i back out of a meet last summer to go there so I cant back out twice. Im more interested in hanging out with the owners and the cars than anything the city has to offer. If you can get the track day together that would be cool too. Keep us posted

nickc50310
11-30-06, 11:36 AM
I just e-mailed the raceway about our meet. They are usually very accomadating to things like this. Ill let you guys know what they say.

Im looking forward to eating up some northstars and 3.2s in the 1/4 mile!

At this point it looks like 3 chicago CTS guys will be in (Luv, Flyflip, and Chi32). Im hoping Kael will come also! This is already shaping up to be an AWESOME meet.

As far as assembling- we can assemble at my house and then drive to betts. Betts is about 15 minutes from my house and we would take one of the main throughfares through Des Moines. How many heads would we turn?? I can only imagine! I live in an area sometimes called "the hood". Something about having 20 caddies lined up on my street would be AWESOME! LOL!

If you guys do make it- you wont be disappointed!

JRau
11-30-06, 11:41 AM
Hey Jrau,

Im sure its good up there and I think Flyflip from CHI will be there (probably others). As long as you can get a handful of CTS people to go I'll make the trip. Its a bit longer of a drive for me than the chicago people but i back out of a meet last summer to go there so I cant back out twice. Im more interested in hanging out with the owners and the cars than anything the city has to offer. If you can get the track day together that would be cool too. Keep us posted

Sure thing, Flyin Ryan! Nick c50310 is taking care of the track. I hope to break away today long enough to connect with Betts Cadillac to see which day they prefer the show on their property. I'm hoping it will be Saturday-a day they are normally open anyway. We'll get more gawkers looking at all the cars that way.

Sorry you took some heat from your fellow CTS'ers on my behalf--that's why I felt I should post something in the CTS thread. Nick gave it right back to 'em, so it sounds like everyone is cool with this....

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
11-30-06, 11:48 AM
Its all good. Thats just what we do. :)

Nick, yeah we should all meet there and have a CTS caravan. It would be awesome. No it WILL be awesome

JRau
11-30-06, 11:50 AM
Thanks Nick! Love how you are keeping the pressure on your buddies in Chicago. You obviously have some good rapport with them! I hope my post over in your CTS forum was well received. Des Moines has alot more to offer than I think the average Joe realizes--heck, I'm from Maryland originally--I wouldn't have believed there was so much out in Des Moines until I lived here.

One of these days, I'll see your car in Des Moines somewhere! Be lookin' out for a bone stock '91 Brougham in Antelope Firemist (kinda of a metallic beige/silver color). I ain't gonna race you though--I'll have tire rubber all over my nice clean windshield!:)

Stay in touch!

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
11-30-06, 02:16 PM
Great job everyone, keep spreading the word. Anyone know any V drivers out here in the Midwest? StealthV is the only one I can think of.

nickc50310
11-30-06, 02:46 PM
Great job everyone, keep spreading the word. Anyone know any V drivers out here in the Midwest? StealthV is the only one I can think of.

Guy in Ames (25 miles north of Des Moines) has a CTS V. I have sent him a PM

AmesCTS-V
12-02-06, 07:19 PM
Sounds good.

JRau
12-02-06, 10:31 PM
AmesCTS-V:

Glad to have you coming to the meet. I'll keep you posted as stuff unfolds.
It'll be fun!

JRau in central Iowa

nickc50310
12-05-06, 10:55 AM
Ok guys, I just got an e-mail back from the drag-stip. It seems they only have an 1/8 mile track. This strip is about an hour away from where the meet is. I found another drag strip that is about 90 minutes away. It is a 1/4 mile strip. Im finding that most strips have events on saturdays and sundays and open racing on fridays. We could go to the strip on friday night. Most strips start running around 6pm. Maybe some of you guys could take friday off?

Of course I can still see about getting us our own day on saturday or sunday. Let me know what you guys think!

Krug Ford
12-05-06, 07:38 PM
I think I might have something in the spring at the dealership..

JRau
12-05-06, 08:13 PM
Scott,

You guys wanna come on down to Des Moines? I'm trying to hook up with Bett's Cadillac there. We would be happy to have you down!

Let me know.

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
12-05-06, 10:03 PM
Ok guys, I just got an e-mail back from the drag-stip. It seems they only have an 1/8 mile track. This strip is about an hour away from where the meet is. I found another drag strip that is about 90 minutes away. It is a 1/4 mile strip. Im finding that most strips have events on saturdays and sundays and open racing on fridays. We could go to the strip on friday night. Most strips start running around 6pm. Maybe some of you guys could take friday off?

Of course I can still see about getting us our own day on saturday or sunday. Let me know what you guys think!

If we had enough people interested we could certainly try to get our own event, how many people do you think we would need to get our own?

JRau
12-06-06, 06:16 AM
Too bad the brand new Iowa Speedway doesn't have a track like this--that would be just 35 minutes from the meet. They are a 7/8 mile oval racetrack just completed this past spring.

Good luck, Nick! Hope you can land a strip for us.

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
12-06-06, 08:53 AM
Just try to join us down in Des Moine

nickc50310
12-06-06, 09:29 AM
If we had enough people interested we could certainly try to get our own event, how many people do you think we would need to get our own?

More than we would have Im sure. Most tracks have commitments with league racing on Saturdays and Sundays while they have public racing night on Fridays.

I seriously doubt we would even get 10 people to go to the track. If youre interested you could just go to Cedar Falls on Friday and meet us there. It is on your way (kind of, about 45 miles out of the way). Then you can party with us! You will fit right in since my girlfriend is only 20 also.

If some people want to go to the track but not take their Caddy they can come to Des Moines Friday and then ride up to Cedar falls with me or one of the other guys. Then ride back to Des Moines with us, obviously.

90Brougham350
12-06-06, 10:37 AM
Man, I wish I knew for sure right now how busy I will be that weekend, I'm graduating the weekend before and moving home and starting life. I can gaurantee Saturday for sure.

nickc50310
12-06-06, 11:24 AM
Man, I wish I knew for sure right now how busy I will be that weekend, I'm graduating the weekend before and moving home and starting life. I can gaurantee Saturday for sure.

You better be! I love your Caddy! Once my girl is done with school and we get a house with a big garage I plan on getting an old Caddy to fix up. i was hoping for something from the 70s with a 500cu inch engine. I really like your car though! I assume there is alot of mods you can do to a 5.7L engine correct?

I want an old school big body that I can build up for SPEED and luxury! I dont know engines very well but Im damn sure going to learn. Im pretty smart and understand how shit works.

Is your brougham RWD?

Flyin-Ryan
12-06-06, 11:48 AM
Thats a good idea for those of us who have to drive far to just ride to the track with someone else just to watch. I could be down for that. Either way I cant wait

nickc50310
12-06-06, 11:52 AM
Thats a good idea for those of us who have to drive far to just ride to the track with someone else just to watch. I could be down for that. Either way I cant wait

Thats not an option for you Ryan! You have a fast car so you are required to race! BWAHAHAHA

90Brougham350
12-06-06, 05:22 PM
You better be! I love your Caddy! Once my girl is done with school and we get a house with a big garage I plan on getting an old Caddy to fix up. i was hoping for something from the 70s with a 500cu inch engine. I really like your car though! I assume there is alot of mods you can do to a 5.7L engine correct?

I want an old school big body that I can build up for SPEED and luxury! I dont know engines very well but Im damn sure going to learn. Im pretty smart and understand how shit works.

Is your brougham RWD?

Thank you! Nice to get a compliment! :thumbsup: Yeah the 350 Chevy probably has more aftermarket for it than any other engine ever built. Yup, it's RWD alright!

Flyin-Ryan
12-08-06, 01:42 PM
Yeah who am I kidding. Id race!

Patrick7997
12-08-06, 04:07 PM
Lotta reading here... Okay, so it's May 19th & 20th at Betts Cadillac in Des Moines??

Tentatively put me down....

FWIW, I'd be far more interested in Casinos and Golf Courses and the nearest decent sports bar, and not so interested in drag strips....

JRau
12-08-06, 08:07 PM
Lotta reading here... Okay, so it's May 19th & 20th at Betts Cadillac in Des Moines??

Tentatively put me down....

FWIW, I'd be far more interested in Casinos and Golf Courses and the nearest decent sports bar, and not so interested in drag strips....

We can take care of the Casino and golf course--no problem! I'm getting final approval from Bett's Cadillac, and will let everyone know for sure as soon as I can.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-08-06, 10:42 PM
I gotta ask May 18-19 off work.

Flyin-Ryan
12-09-06, 02:34 PM
I hope your able to lock them down for that date Jrau

JRau
12-10-06, 01:14 AM
I hope your able to lock them down for that date Jrau

When I initially talked with her on the phone, she indicated that there'd be no problem, but that they needed to see a proposal in writing to make sure both parties understood what was going to happen on that day. I truly believe it is just a formality, and we'll be "GOOD TO GO" for that date.

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
12-12-06, 07:53 AM
When will you know for sure?

JRau
12-13-06, 02:09 PM
Talked to my contact this morning. Looks like we'll know in a week. I'll stay on top of this and keep everyone informed.

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
12-17-06, 05:45 PM
I really want this meet to be good. I want to keep it on everyones mind/calender. And thanks to all who have been working on it. Keep us posted! And let me know about hotel stuff when we get closer

schill32
12-20-06, 10:35 AM
I've put on national car shows and events for years. If you need any advise or help just drop me a line. I'm just right outside of St. Louis MO.

nickc50310
12-20-06, 11:01 AM
I've put on national car shows and events for years. If you need any advise or help just drop me a line. I'm just right outside of St. Louis MO.

So youll be at the meet then right??

schill32
12-20-06, 01:55 PM
Hopefully. I just seen this post yesterday (new cts owner) so still trying to get more info. Do you have a website setup for it or anything yet?

-Tim

JRau
12-20-06, 03:46 PM

May take you up on that! I feel that we have things moving along, but I wouldn't mind hearing your opinion. PM me your e-mail address, and I'll e-mail you where we're at now.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
12-20-06, 03:49 PM
Hopefully. I just seen this post yesterday (new cts owner) so still trying to get more info. Do you have a website setup for it or anything yet?

-Tim

No website on this meet. Still waiting on FINAL approval from Bett's Cadillac. I spoke to the contact at the dealer again this afternoon and the owner still hasn't made a decision. My contact said the owner's been very busy and that she would remind the owner again to give us an answer.

Once we get the final approval, we will get all the other items nailed down and keep everyone posted on our progress.

JRau in central Iowa

nickc50310
12-20-06, 11:41 PM
If Betts doesnt work out I got a PERFECT location instead. Be sure to keep me posted JRau!

schill32
12-21-06, 09:58 AM
JRau, I just signed up one the boards this week so no PM access quite yet. My email is schill32 at hotmail though. I ran the largest GM small car convention in North America up until last year (9 years) when our daughter came. I've worked with numberous companies as well as General Motors Corp. so might have a few pointers and would be happy to give advice.

-Tim

90Brougham350
12-21-06, 10:06 AM
I'm assuming you've done some work with marketing the event then, do you know the best way for us to get a huge turnout from our members?

schill32
12-21-06, 10:34 AM
Couple quick ideas (getting busy here)...

1.) Get an information website / page up. It's tuff to shuffle thru 10+ pages of a thread to get all the important info.

2.) Contact companies to come out and give product demonstrations semilars.

3.) Allow people to pre-register. Even if it's only $10/vehicle it will show who is serious and who is just talk (key with online based communities).

Have to run...

Flyin-Ryan
12-21-06, 11:36 AM
Thats a great idea to have website up. Also it would be nice to see another STL area person go

JRau
12-21-06, 09:53 PM
Well, let's get the final ok from Betts Cadillac. I have no clue how to set up a website, so one of you computer gurus could help out with that once we get the ok from Betts. I'm being as agressive as I can with them without being obnoxious.:)

JRau in central Iowa

AmesCTS-V
12-21-06, 10:18 PM
Well, let's get the final ok from Betts Cadillac. I have no clue how to set up a website, so one of you computer gurus could help out with that once we get the ok from Betts. I'm being as agressive as I can with them without being obnoxious.:)

JRau in central Iowa

I can make the site. I already own cadillacmeet.com so we can use that. I put together a GTO meet in Ames every year so I'm pretty used to making a site for it http://www.amesgto.com

nickc50310
12-21-06, 11:49 PM
Solid! If Betts doesnt work out we cn probably have it at Porkys. Im sure you Iowa guys are familiar with Porkys yes? I know the owner. We would have good food and good booze while we look at all the Caddies.

Porkys has been a Des Moines hot spot since I was just a tike. In season they car nights on wednesday and saturdays and bike night on thursday. All those nights its so packed that they usually have cops out directing traffic. How tight would it be to have our meet there most of the day Saturday and then stay most of the night taking up almost the whole lot with our Caddies??!! Also, they have booze and AWESOME food. best tenderloin youd ever taste! Let me know if Betts doesnt work out and Ill see what I can do for Porky's.

JRau
12-22-06, 06:51 AM
I can make the site. I already own cadillacmeet.com so we can use that. I put together a GTO meet in Ames every year so I'm pretty used to making a site for it http://www.amesgto.com

Thanks! I'll let you know as soon as I can on this... Gosh, this is really coming together!

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
12-22-06, 06:55 AM
Solid! If Betts doesnt work out we cn probably have it at Porkys. Im sure you Iowa guys are familiar with Porkys yes? I know the owner. We would have good food and good booze while we look at all the Caddies.

Porkys has been a Des Moines hot spot since I was just a tike. In season they car nights on wednesday and saturdays and bike night on thursday. All those nights its so packed that they usually have cops out directing traffic. How tight would it be to have our meet there most of the day Saturday and then stay most of the night taking up almost the whole lot with our Caddies??!! Also, they have booze and AWESOME food. best tenderloin youd ever taste! Let me know if Betts doesnt work out and Ill see what I can do for Porky's.

I tried to get an alternate car dealer in Newton--Ira Mitchell Cadillac. Unfortunately, the weekend we want in May is the same weekend as a major race at the new Iowa Speedway, so Ira is involved heavily in that, and doesn't want to host us on that weekend.

Porky's sounds cool, but I want Bett's to come through...

JRau in central Iowa

schill32
12-22-06, 09:05 AM
You might want to look into a possible golf outing and maybe a winery tour for the older demographic.

JRau
12-23-06, 06:55 PM
You might want to look into a possible golf outing and maybe a winery tour for the older demographic.

Central Iowa has plenty of both of those! I am very interested in visiting with you. Hope to get Bett's solidified first, but then, watch out, we're gonna blow the doors off this meet! :)

JRau in central Iowa

nickc50310
12-24-06, 02:18 AM
Im down for some golf for sure! Heres a tentative schedule maybe....

Friday night- race then party
Saturday- meet all day, dinner as a group, party
Sunday- golf outing then people head home

bigbluebrougham
12-27-06, 04:57 PM
JRau,

I am interested in coming. Shouldn't be a problem for me to get it off. Let me know if you need help with anything. I can talk to my sister in Kansas City about the web site. She went to school for that. I will ask her when you have a place set and we can maybe come up with a design for it? Let me know...

BTW...I definitely wanna race my Caddy! Just to see what it can do.

BBB

nickc50310
12-28-06, 10:27 AM
JRau,

I am interested in coming. Shouldn't be a problem for me to get it off. Let me know if you need help with anything. I can talk to my sister in Kansas City about the web site. She went to school for that. I will ask her when you have a place set and we can maybe come up with a design for it? Let me know...

BTW...I definitely wanna race my Caddy! Just to see what it can do.

BBB

Sounds like Ill be putting you down for race/party night in Cedar falls. probably justr be the younger guys but Im sure we will have a blast.

Flyin-Ryan
12-28-06, 08:03 PM
Im in for all three...

Friday night- race then party
Saturday- meet all day, dinner as a group, party
Sunday- golf outing then people head home

I hope I can find some STL guys to caravan up there. I guess I'll be bring my clubs too

Benzilla
12-29-06, 03:26 PM
I'll probably come friday night, might race, might not. depends how many other Broughams and Coupe Devilles show up, we can have a yacht race! :D

Saturday - duh, I'll be there.

Sunday - I'm not really into golfing ...at all... so I'll probably just head home sunday morning if that's all there is.

So what exactly is happening saturday? Are we going to have some sort of cruise-in type thing? Or just meet up and talk? It is a Cadillac meet, so the cars should meet too I'd think.

90Brougham350
12-29-06, 06:58 PM
Oh hell yeah, we'll probably all park the Caddies in the parking lot of the dealership if JRau's plan goes through, I suppose it would be typical meet style.

Benzilla
12-29-06, 07:20 PM
Okay cool, this will be the first Cadillac forums meet I've gotten time for thats under 1,000 m.i. from me, so I can't wait.

nickc50310
12-30-06, 03:02 AM
Damn, comin all the way from Tennakey! KICK ASS DUDE!

My Plan was to have all the forum members meet at my house and then motorcade our asses across town to the meet. How bad ass would that be?

Benzilla
12-30-06, 02:05 PM
Yup, Tennessee, hicksville USA lol. I'm originally from Michigan, even after 5 years here I still have culture shock.

A Cadillac motorcade.. wow that would rock.

The only thing is I'm almost thinking of renting a car because I feel guilty taking one of mine on the highway that far. Not because of the distance, because all those damn trucks throw stones at me. But it just wouldn't be the same showing up at a Cadillac meet with an Impala now would it?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-30-06, 04:44 PM
When us MN members (90Brougham350, I, derrtydeville, addisonII, and others) come down, I think we should do a motorcade too. And we should all have Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" blarin' when we come pullin in to the dealer!

Flyin-Ryan
12-31-06, 08:08 AM
I think we need a picture of the country with dots on it to show where everyone is coming from. That could be cool

Flyin-Ryan
01-01-07, 07:38 AM
5 months away!

Black Sunshine
01-02-07, 11:26 AM
Here's your sign, I mean map!!

http://www.frappr.com/?a=constellation_map&mapid=68719668043

I will be marking the Daytimer for this and just hope work travel cooperates.

schill32
01-02-07, 12:39 PM
Just added my location.

AmesCTS-V
01-02-07, 01:06 PM
My Plan was to have all the forum members meet at my house and then motorcade our asses across town to the meet. How bad ass would that be?

Having done 3 of these for GTO's I'd say do one of these 2 senerio's. Having people meet at your house would be a mess if a ton of people show up; plus you will have a certain amount of people that don't know you and as such won't want to meet at anyones house.

1) Have everyone meet for breakfast/lunch at an restaurant that has good parking and is easy to find. Everyone can then drive over to Betts together.

2) (this is the one I do). After the meet have everyone drive to a park to take pictures together and then drive to have dinner together. You have to be able to keep the group together on the drive which is tough even in Ames so DM will be even tougher. Make it easy to find and maps would help.

Also people need to be entertained at the Meet. Just talking cars and checking everyones cars out works pretty well for 2-3 hours, but at some point people get bored and leave. We have sponsors that donate prizes and we give those away. We also give out trophies. We also do burn outs. This all seems to be an absolute minimum and honestly I'm trying to thing of more things to do.

Flyin-Ryan
01-02-07, 01:59 PM
Map is awesome thanks! Hopefully more people will use it.

90Brougham350
01-02-07, 02:58 PM
I'm on it! (At least I think I'm on it!)

Flyin-Ryan
01-03-07, 07:43 AM
Lets see some more people use the map...

AmesCTS-V
01-03-07, 11:46 AM
Has Betts signed off on this thing yet?

bigbluebrougham
01-03-07, 10:08 PM
I added myself to the map! :) No pics of my Caddy yet. Downloaded them, but can't open em. My computer is picky. So, added a pic of the nice Knucklehead I saw in Sturgis this year.

BBB

schill32
01-04-07, 09:04 AM
Nothing else I know the producers of a show in Indy that I could talk to about doing something special for us. Just a thought and looking at the map might be a little more central. www.slamology.com is the show if anybody wants to check it out. But I'm sure I could talk them into roping off a section of the show for just us at the least. They have a bikini contest, live bands, and all kinds of stuff over the three days.

-Tim

Flyin-Ryan
01-04-07, 11:58 AM
I added myself to the map! :) No pics of my Caddy yet. Downloaded them, but can't open em. My computer is picky. So, added a pic of the nice Knucklehead I saw in Sturgis this year.

BBB

Are you on the map because youre going to the meet? Youre way out in UK. Thats quite a drive :)

smokedmustang
01-07-07, 09:09 AM
You guys can have it here in INDY on MAY 12th!! Check this out.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/95104-huge-race-show-kids-may-12th.html

derrty_deville
01-08-07, 12:46 AM
Im on the map and all about the MN motorcade.

I like the webpage idea too. I would clear up the mess of ideas in the thread.

Time to start saving up for the trip and get the credit card ready for a breakdown.

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 07:33 AM
A website is a must. I know thats easy for me to say since I dont know how to make one. But It would help new people so they dont have to read 14 pages of this post.

AmesCTS-V
01-08-07, 11:35 AM
We can't really do a website until the location is settled out. I PM'd JRau a couple of weeks ago about that and some other things. No response yet.

I know the Cadillac dealer here in town would not only do it, but help pay for things. Since I've done the GTO one 3 years now they have heard about it and want something similar.

Betts should step up and want this, if they don't JRau isn't talking to the right people.

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 01:28 PM
All good points. I hope we hear from him soon

nickc50310
01-08-07, 01:29 PM
What would you think about having it at Porkys Ames? Just throwing ideas out at this point.

Im sure John and Betts will come through for us. if we dont hear from John soon, Ill shoot him an e-mail.

Im hoping the meet will start around 11am on saturday. If we had a breakfast before hand we would need to meet around 9 or 930. If we party as hard as I usually prefer that will make for a long day! Dont worry, im hardcore- you just might find me catchin a lil cat nap in my CTS during the meet! LOL!!

Flyin-Ryan
01-08-07, 02:36 PM
I would like to see this held at some sorta car related site. Maybe we could have some cheap reg fee and then buy some trophys

AmesCTS-V
01-08-07, 02:56 PM
I'd like to see it at a car dealership mainly because they should have plenty of room and they should want Cadillac customers there so it's easy to get them to cater lunch, buy trophies, that kind of thing.

smokedmustang
01-08-07, 09:04 PM
Why don't you have it down in Indy? Look at all the space you will have!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/local-cadillac-clubs-meets/95104-huge-race-show-kids-may-12th.html

Let me know in advance, the headcount. I will save you some PRIME realestate on the grass inside the track on the left (satellite photo) let me know if interested.

AmesCTS-V
01-08-07, 09:27 PM
Personally I think DM is a pretty perfect location. Sitting on the intersection of I80 and I35 means a lot of people can make it there with a nice quick drive on the interstate.

JRau
01-08-07, 11:56 PM
Guys:

I have e-mailed Betts to set up an appointment with them regarding this meet. Please be patient, this is gonna happen. :)

JRau in central Iowa

d-dash
01-09-07, 03:14 PM
Holy crap. I just read all 15 pages of this. Anywho, I'm pretty sure you can count me in for pretty much all of it. I can give some local assistance if needed as well.

Benzilla
01-09-07, 04:40 PM
Wow, I have my account set up to show 40 posts per page, so for me, right now this is page 4.

JRau
01-09-07, 08:28 PM
I have reconnected with my contact at Betts Cadillac. The owner is out of town until the 17th of this month. I will visit him personally that week to get final approval and iron out details. The owner is a huge supporter of car shows--specifically Cadilllac meets, so I remain very positive.

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-09-07, 09:46 PM
Excellent!

AmesCTS-V
01-09-07, 10:05 PM
Sounds good.

Flyin-Ryan
01-09-07, 10:23 PM
I sure hope everything goes well. Try to get them to do more than just letting us use the lot.

bigbluebrougham
01-11-07, 07:41 AM
Are you on the map because youre going to the meet? Youre way out in UK. Thats quite a drive :)

Sorry, haven't been on in a while. I am on the map in Bristol, SD. I must have not looked at the map good enough... I will be at the meet for sure! It is only a 6-7 hour drive!

BBB

Flyin-Ryan
01-11-07, 07:56 AM
Sorry, haven't been on in a while. I am on the map in Bristol, SD. I must have not looked at the map good enough... I will be at the meet for sure! It is only a 6-7 hour drive!

BBB

Thats great! We need to get even more people on that map

90Brougham350
01-11-07, 12:12 PM
We need to start spreading the word. A lot of forum members don't even know about this meet.

nickc50310
01-11-07, 04:12 PM
I have secured every Iowa member (I think). Thats me, d-dash, jrau, and AmesCTSV.

I also have- my brother (posts very rarely) and his 99 STS. Also have my friend Chris and his 99? STS. Chris is not a member here.

With myself I can guarantee 7 Iowans!

THere was also another CTS owner from cedar rapids but I havent seen him around lately. I cant remember his name....

AmesCTS-V
01-11-07, 05:14 PM
I know there are several other Iowa CTS-V's on here (or at least there were a few years ago).

JRau
01-11-07, 07:39 PM
We need to start spreading the word. A lot of forum members don't even know about this meet.

Brian,

I want to spread the word quickly, too, BUT we absolutely have to have Bett's final ok. The owner will be available on or around Jan. 17,18. We need to wait for that. I have a commitment earlier in this thread for someone to make us a website, I'm all set to go for finding hotels, planning some leisure activities with Nick50310. We can go top speed with this ONCE we get approval. We'll have enough time if we know by the 3rd week in January...

Maybe someone could put the meet info in their signature, as was suggested earlier in this thread--again, after approval.

Don't lose faith, we will make it happen!:yup:

JRau in central Iowa

FLNCHM5
01-11-07, 08:37 PM
Good Lord that was a lot of reading! lol! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm new to this site and don't post that often. After I saw this thread I had to comment. I "Googled" this meet and it's only a 4 hour drive from my house (Montgomery, IL). With this trip my Harvest Yellow 73' Coupe DeVille will officially hit the 50k mile mark (49,733 currently). :helpless:
600 mile round trip, 10 miles to the gallon.. yep, should cost me about $300 in gas. lol! I hope the weather holds out.

90Brougham350
01-11-07, 11:24 PM
Hell yeah! That's one nice-lookin' CDV you've got there.

FLNCHM5
01-12-07, 05:22 PM
Hell yeah! That's one nice-lookin' CDV you've got there.

Thanks! It's actually a pic from an ad in 1973. My car is the same color but I have a brown leather top on mine. Honestly, the colors aren't pretty but it's all origional. Gotta love the 70's..:D

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-13-07, 03:17 PM
Good Lord that was a lot of reading! lol! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm new to this site and don't post that often. After I saw this thread I had to comment. I "Googled" this meet and it's only a 4 hour drive from my house (Montgomery, IL). With this trip my Harvest Yellow 73' Coupe DeVille will officially hit the 50k mile mark (49,733 currently). :helpless:
600 mile round trip, 10 miles to the gallon.. yep, should cost me about $300 in gas. lol! I hope the weather holds out.

Yes!! We need more '70s landyacht Caddies!

Benzilla
01-13-07, 07:34 PM

Great! hey, you should go to the race (if we have it) to see how the 500 stacks up against a 425 in a lighter car.

I really want to see your car in person!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-07, 12:42 AM
Great! hey, you should go to the race (if we have it) to see how the 500 stacks up against a 425 in a lighter car.

I really want to see your car in person!

Actually, Ben, the 472 was used in his '73, the 500 wouldn't be used in the deVilles/Calais/Fleetwoods until '75.

Benzilla
01-14-07, 12:51 AM
Doh! you're right, lol. well, I'll take down a 472 then :cool2:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-07, 10:44 AM

Let's not get so cocky Ben, the '73's were 220hp, 365 lb/ft so they've still got some pretty good kick, maybe quicker than your 425.... Only time will tell, and I am one especially wanting to see!

90Brougham350
01-14-07, 11:22 AM

Only if you think you can take down a 350 first!:stirpot:

Benzilla
01-14-07, 12:27 PM
lol, great, now I have to have duals with no cats put on in time for may.

Seriously though, I'll probably lose to all of you, it's just a stock 425 with advanced timing. It can beat a lot of things, but it's no rocket.

That's why a 500 is going in after this one blows.:stirpot:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-07, 02:41 PM

Seriously though, I'll probably lose to all of you, it's just a stock 425 with advanced timing. It can beat a lot of things, but it's no rocket.

Count me in too! Lets see a 425 take on a 300!

FLNCHM5
01-14-07, 06:06 PM

You guys are correct, it's a 472. However, 220 hp + 4985 pounds = slow.. :thepan: At the strip all it would be good for is about 20 feet of posi strips and then it falls on it's face. Damn 2 series gearing... Although, my car will run 110 all day without breaking a sweat. Not that I know that.
If everything goes right, as the wife and I have a baby on the way, I am going to work on the body next fall and focus on the motor the following summer. A steaper cam, shift kit, carb, intake, etc...
Honestly, I think I going to stay at the Heartland Inn in Iowa City. Then I can get some wings at the Vine. LOL! (Iowa folks will know what that is) I'm pretty excited for this show. It would be nice to be in a show among the "small" Cadillac's.. :histeric:

Benzilla
01-14-07, 10:47 PM
Well, lets see, I'm around 4100 pounds, and the 425 is rated anywhere from 180 - 230 hp. I'm probably on the lower end of that because my baby has seen a lot of miles (I mean a lot). The engine has already outlived the original transmission. I just had the carb rebuilt, and she's supposed to be in top running condition. Anything she needs I give her, you can't put a price on a healthy Cadillac. Next comes new paint, then exhaust modding.

nickc50310
01-15-07, 08:07 AM
I cant wait to put the beat down on some large v8's with my trusty 3.6l V6!!

BWAHAHAH. We will have alot of fun guys! I hope alot of us make the trip up to the drag strip! In case you guys didnt know heres what i was planning for the racing:

The drag strip is about 90 minutes from Des Moines (site of meet)
Open race night is friday
Drag strip is in a college town (Cedar falls)
We go to the drag strip on friday night
Some people can meet in Des Moines or other locations and motorcade up
After racing all night we hit the bars in Cedar falls
Get hotel rooms in CF
Leave CF early enough on Saturday to make the meet.

Thats my rough plan for now on that portion of the weekend.

d-dash
01-15-07, 09:25 AM
Sounds pretty good to me. I believe that I will be there( however it is 5 months away and stuff always comes up). I am also trying to get my buddy to come up with his charger(I know its not a caddy but I still want to race him).

On a side note, I think that the Vine has the best wings that I have ever tried. Good choice FLNCHM5

Flyin-Ryan
01-15-07, 12:08 PM
Any word on the CHI guys? Its been awhile since they posted anything. What do you know Nick?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-15-07, 04:41 PM
Boy, this is sure gonna be a big gas bill for this weekend!

nickc50310
01-15-07, 09:01 PM
Im pretty sure theyre all still planning on going. if not im going to have to hurt people...... :thepan:

90Brougham350
01-15-07, 09:09 PM
So roughly how many people are we looking at so far?

Flyin-Ryan
01-15-07, 10:21 PM
So roughly how many people are we looking at so far?

great question. If only those people who are going uses the map that should be a good guess so far

nickc50310
01-16-07, 03:14 AM
I have like 7 from Iowa. Based on rough estimates I would say we have about 15 total so far that said they would come. Once we get more details ironed out Im going to scout all the boards for people in the area and get them in.

In addition we will also have the local La Salle Cadillac club which Im sure has ALOT of members. This is gonna be huge guys.....

I would be pleased if we had 25 to 30.

Flyin-Ryan
01-16-07, 07:45 AM
Lets make sure only those that are going use the map.

Flyin-Ryan
01-17-07, 04:05 PM
to the top...Shouldnt we know about Betts today?

nickc50310
01-17-07, 10:01 PM
John did talk with Betts today. We are making progress. One of us will post the news when we get it.

JRau
01-17-07, 10:45 PM
Hey, guys...

I did meet personally with my contacts at Betts Cadillac, as promised. That was a stroke of luck in and of itself... No appointment, no clue as to whether or not he'd be there, etc. Just walked in and asked to see him!! Betts is very pleasant and want to help us out, but we do have a couple of hurdles to work through. I am diligently working on this daily at this point. I will be contacting the Cadillac/LaSalle club contact again tomorrow to see if we can partner with them to get over 1 of the hurdles. For them, this meet would not be one of their official meets, but the guy told me that several local guys would probably come down just for the fun of it.

One item that did surface that may impact a few of you is that the actual meet has to be on the Sunday, (May 20) as Saturday is the best day for car sales. He said he hosted a show once on a Saturday and his sales stuff went nuts because they couldn't sell cars with all the show cars and onlookers there. So we need to go from the Friday/Saturday to Saturday/Sunday. Don't know if this impacts the dragstrip or not, but Nick is handling those arrangements. Let's give this another week to work through the hurdles--I've pm'd Sal C. about one hurdle and am waiting on a response from him.

IF Betts doesn't work out, don't despair, Nick and I already have an alternate location in Des Moines that would work out fine. So nobody go thinkin' this is off, 'cause we will make this happen!:thumbsup:

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-17-07, 10:59 PM
Yay! Progress!

nickc50310
01-17-07, 11:12 PM
Dragstrip night is Friday in Cedar Falls. Thats about a 90 minute drive from Des Moines so Sunday would be easier for the guys going to the race. Im sure some of you will want to drive home on Sunday so thats also something to consider.

Like John said, this thing is a go for sure. We will make this happen.

Benzilla
01-17-07, 11:15 PM
Sunday is fine for me. I'm glad we're finally getting this squared away.

JRau
01-17-07, 11:59 PM
Sunday is fine for me. I'm glad we're finally getting this squared away.

Me, too! I'm really pumped about planning this and making it come together... I've put on a couple car shows in my past on a slightly smaller scale, but to get 7 or 8 states involved--that would be stellar!:cloud9:

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
01-18-07, 08:05 AM
Sunday works well. Then we can all hang out Saturday somewhere and do whatever. I might drive home late sunday or just stay another night and leave Monday.

Did they say they would sponser any of this??

nickc50310
01-18-07, 11:02 AM
Guys we got the date set pretty much so lets get something in our Sigs about the meet!

JRau
01-18-07, 02:22 PM
Sunday works well. Then we can all hang out Saturday somewhere and do whatever. I might drive home late sunday or just stay another night and leave Monday.

Did they say they would sponser any of this??

Flyin-Ryan...

I didn't want to press that issue until I knew we could overcome the issues he was having related to us being on his property. I did hint at it however. He is an amiable guy, he just wants to make sure he crosses his "t's" and dots all the "i's" so to speak. Once I get answers to his most pressing questions/concerns, I'll gracefully ask him about some level of sponsorship.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-18-07, 02:27 PM
More update:

My contact with the Cadillac/LaSalle club is at the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction this week! Lucky guy! I left him a message with my cell phone number. He'll probably call me back within a day or two.

Received some response back from Lord Cadillac and am working with him to resolve one of the issues that Betts Cadillac is asking about.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-18-07, 02:29 PM
Guys we got the date set pretty much so lets get something in our Sigs about the meet!

Great thought, Nick. I need to look through these pages and find the guy who'll do our website. I think he can begin on some level to create the website.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-19-07, 09:58 PM
Ok, we've got a meet now, everyone!!! We could not overcome the issues with Betts Cadillac surrounding liability insurance holding Betts Cadillac harmless,etc. Therefore, the Midwest Meet will be held at Porky's Drive Inn, 4444 Douglas Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa 50310. The dates will revert back to the Friday and Saturday, May 18 & 19, 2007. This '50's styled restaurant is renowned in this area, has spectacular food, and regularly hosts carshows twice weekly throughout the spring and summer. The lot is big enough for all of us, it's in a good location, and is well known for hosting car shows, and we don't need a special liability policy to cover us. There is a strong possibility that some members of the Cadillac/LaSalle club will be there with us on Saturday--they typically have the older models (pre-1970's) which will bring a greater depth to our show. Imagine having 1930's Cadillacs all the way up to brand new! :worship: That would be excellent!

NickC50310 is working on the arrangements for the drag racing in Cedar Falls Iowa. That event will be on Friday. He's going to keep us posted on hotels and racing information for that night.

I will be working on the Saturday event (along with Nick)--specifically hotel arrangements, dinner arrangements, and other fun activities for families.

More info to follow very soon, but get your vacation requests in now to your employer so you can be here for this event. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail jcrmer@iowatelecom.net if you have specific questions or requests regarding the meet. We will be getting a website up and running very soon, too. You can PM me or nickc50310 about this as well.

This will be an awesome show!:thumbsup: :banana:

Gotta go now, but will stay in touch.

JRau in central Iowa

90Brougham350
01-19-07, 11:47 PM
Woohooo! Good work JRau, we're all indebted for you for doing so much work putting this together! Alright, let's spread the word!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-20-07, 08:38 AM
Alright, let's spread the word!

And spread it we will, like STDs at a Paris Hilton orgy!

AmesCTS-V
01-20-07, 11:18 AM
So what what time at Porky's? Are they doing anything special for us or are we just showing up like all the other cars that weekend will?

nickc50310
01-20-07, 06:00 PM
Just plan to showup at Porkys at 12 or 1 pm. I am also going to work on organizing a motorcade so i will let eveyone know on that one. I havent talked to Porky's yet but its a restaurant so its not like theyre going to turn 50+ customers away.

Im going to call them and let them know whats going on. Im also going to be sure its ok for us to hang around for a few hours. Plan to have a group lunch around 1:30.

Porkys serves drinks also so we can have brewskies during the meet! HELL YEAH!

JRau
01-21-07, 12:12 AM
And spread it we will, like STDs at a Paris Hilton orgy!

NICE!!!!!!:histeric:

I gotta remember that one....

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
01-21-07, 10:09 AM
Does this place have a website? Id like to see it

nickc50310
01-21-07, 12:31 PM
http://www.porkysdiner.com/

Flyin-Ryan
01-22-07, 06:31 AM
Seems like a pretty cool place. Will you guys be contacting them about us coming or will we just be showing up

JRau
01-22-07, 07:56 AM
Seems like a pretty cool place. Will you guys be contacting them about us coming or will we just be showing up

Flyin'Ryan,

Nick is going to be calling Porky's for "reservations" for that day. He should let us know sometime early this week.

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
01-22-07, 08:42 AM
Thats good. The place reminds me of something out of American Graffiti

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-22-07, 11:11 AM
There's a Porky's in St. Paul too, I love going down there on a nice hot summer evening with my buddies and seeing all the cool old cars cruisin by and sitting in their lot!

JRau
01-22-07, 10:14 PM

AmesCTS-V,

Ok, man, I wanna take you up on your offer to build us a website. E-mail me your e-mail address and let's you and I talk through what you need, etc.

jcrmer@iowatelecom.net is my e-mail address

Thanks,
JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-22-07, 10:35 PM
Ok, from looking through all the pages, it looks like we have 25 coming so far. Once the website is done, and all supporting members advertise it in their signatures, we'll add to the list.

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
01-22-07, 10:47 PM
sounds like a plan!

kfx
01-23-07, 09:29 AM
newbie who just got 03 CTS, but I would definitely be up for this, would luv to see what others are doing, live in southern WI - Des Moines definitely doable.

kfx

Flyin-Ryan
01-23-07, 10:17 AM
Sweet! Come on out KFX. Im sure youll see some cool stuff. There are people with some pretty sick cars

90Brougham350
01-23-07, 05:16 PM
Supposing we get like 50 guys for this, would Porky's be willing to let us be there all day for a meet?

JRau
01-23-07, 05:22 PM
Supposing we get like 50 guys for this, would Porky's be willing to let us be there all day for a meet?

Nickc50310 is securing Porky's for us. I would think they would be fine with it. That's what they do twice a week throughout the warm months. He'll let us know soon.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-23-07, 05:26 PM
newbie who just got 03 CTS, but I would definitely be up for this, would luv to see what others are doing, live in southern WI - Des Moines definitely doable.

kfx

kfx,

GREAT! Love to see Wisconsin represented here in this meet! We'll have a website developed very shortly. In the meantime, keep watching this thread, and spread the word to other Cadillac owners up in Wisconsin! Feel free to bring down some voluptuous Wisconsin belles too!! :D

So far, we have Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, South Dakota, Missouri, and Tennessee represented in our meet, so bring it on Wisconsin!

JRau in central Iowa

nickc50310
01-23-07, 06:18 PM
Also have quite a few from Illinois/ Chicago! I had something to do today at lunch so I didnt get a chance to call Porky's. Im sure they are fine with it because that gives them a SHITLOAD of business. We will know for sure tommorrow! Nothing planned for lunch tommorrow (except calling porkys).

JRau
01-23-07, 10:57 PM
Whoops! Didn't mean to leave out Illinois! I was in a hurry when I posted this at work. No offense to you Chicago guys!:D

JRau in central Iowa

Flyin-Ryan
01-24-07, 07:48 AM
Great news!! I cant wait to see the website and put a link on my posts

JRau
01-24-07, 09:12 PM
The general plan for the weekend is as follows: Friday night is the racing night in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Nickc50310 is going to provide the specifics on this, but we'll caravan from Des Moines to Cedar Falls, and spend the night up there, racing, carousin' and getting a motel up there-but only those who want to race or watch. If you're not interested, just come to Des Moines.

Saturday, everyone's on their own for breakfast. Lots of hotels,fast food restaurants, gas stations, malls, nice restaurants, strip malls etc. are within 2 miles of Porky's. Everyone should arrive at Porky's Diner at around 12:30 pm. We'll get all settled in, and then have lunch around 1:30pm or so. Car meet until 4 pm or 5 pm. Then, we'll meet for a nice sit down meal at a local favorite nice restaurant. After the restaurant, the after dinner "activities" will begin until ??? Sunday breakfast is on your own. We might offer a golf outing or large group activity for those who are able to stay. The meet's officially over Saturday, so those who have to go, can go then.

Couple of questions for everyone:
1. For hotels: I can get a 4 Points Sheraton Inn (slightly upscale) or a Super 8 type hotel. Fancy or cheap, what's your preference? I will arrange a block of rooms if at all possible with discounted rates (if I can get 'em). For those who really want first class, there are some elegant hotels in downtown Des Moines that I can get info to you on. You just need to let me know, and soon please.

2. As far as a nice restaurant: Us Des Moines guys would like to show off some local restaurants that are locally famous, rather than national chains like an Applebee's. What is your preference? general American cuisine, Italian, or Mexican. We got leads on great local restaurants for any of those 3 options. Let me know. Figure on about $15 -$30 per person, depending on what you order at any of these places.

3. Are any of you bringing a wife and kids? I can get info on cultural events, the zoo, Adventureland theme park, Prarie Meadows Casino, museums, etc. if families want to break away and do something together while they are here.

Nickc50310 and I want this to be an exciting show for all of us. Please get back to me on these questions. I have Ames-CTSV set to do our web page, but I need your input here.

Thanks,

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-24-07, 09:23 PM
Regarding the hotels, I'm on a budget, so I'd like some place that's cheaper, but not scuzzy. Regarding the food, anything but chinese!

nickc50310
01-24-07, 11:28 PM
The super 8 John speaks of is a great place for the price. Everytime Ive stayed there the rooms have been cleaned and are pretty nice for the price. No pool or anything though.

4 Points Sheraton is very nice but obviously will be pricier

90Brougham350
01-25-07, 05:12 PM
Couple of questions for everyone:
1. For hotels: I can get a 4 Points Sheraton Inn (slightly upscale) or a Super 8 type hotel.

Super 8

2. As far as a nice restaurant

Any kind of food is great, I'll eat just about anywhere, as long as it's not a dump.

3. Are any of you bringing a wife and kids?

No family to bring with, just me and my '90!

AmesCTS-V
01-25-07, 05:14 PM
I don't have a big hotel preference. I'm in Ames so I won't need one:) If you pick a place and line up a block or rooms that's about all you can do. Something easy to find and not too far from Porky's.

Porkys for lunch on Sat makes sense. I wish DM had Hickory Park, that place is perfect for this kind of deal. In DM I'm not sure. I'd probably say something like Outback works for most people and is pretty easy to find.

JRau
01-25-07, 05:14 PM
Super 8

Any kind of food is great, I'll eat just about anywhere, as long as it's not a dump.

No family to bring with, just me and my '90!

thanks, Bryan.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
01-25-07, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Hickory Park is great, no doubt. I've made a pig of myself there on more than one occasion!! :rolleyes: But don't despair, Nick and I selected 3 different restaurants with outstanding reputations that are reasonably priced. All the hotels and restaurants we're talkin' about here are less than 3 miles from Porky's, and they're easy to get to...

JRau in central Iowa

I don't have a big hotel preference. I'm in Ames so I won't need one:) If you pick a place and line up a block or rooms that's about all you can do. Something easy to find and not too far from Porky's.

Porkys for lunch on Sat makes sense. I wish DM had Hickory Park, that place is perfect for this kind of deal. In DM I'm not sure. I'd probably say something like Outback works for most people and is pretty easy to find.

N0DIH
01-25-07, 07:14 PM
Not sure if I can pull it off, that is 326 miles or so from home and have to see what I have going that week.

Will keep it in mind!

Jesda
01-27-07, 11:24 PM
It all sounds good. Chad or anyone, I'd be willing to share a room and divide lodging costs. Cheap is good, and it doesn't have to be a brand name place.

I don't ask for much, just no spiders. :p

JRau
01-27-07, 11:29 PM
It all sounds good. Chad or anyone, I'd be willing to share a room and divide lodging costs. Cheap is good, and it doesn't have to be a brand name place.

I don't ask for much, just no spiders. :p

I think we can arrange "no spiders!" Most people responding to my questions are fine with the Super 8 motel option. I'm waiting on a few others, but probably we'll stick with Super 8.

JRau in central Iowa

gdwriter
01-28-07, 02:09 AM
Call me crazy, but I'm actually thinking about coming. I checked the enrollment for the eight-week advertising class I start in February, and I've got 11 students. My pay depends on enrollment, so if I have more than 10 students, I'll get an extra ~$700. So that would pretty much pay for the trip.

My main concern—besides taking a 16-year-old car with 223,000 miles on a 3,700-mile road trip—is the amount of vacation time it will require. At best, it will be four days each way on the road. And since I'm planning to drive Betty back to Phoenix in November for my old Impala club's regional convention, I need to conserve my vacation days (I get three weeks).

Of course, I could fly, and I may decide to do that, but I enjoy road trips, and I'd like to show up with my Caddy. Plus, I can't bring Hoover if I fly.

So put me down as a tentative. If enrollment in my class drops below 11 before it starts, I won't get the extra money, so it would be less likely for me to come.

JRau, the Super 8 is fine with me as long as they allow pets. If not, I can just go to Motel 6, which I know does. As for restaurants, I like to go to local places rather than chains when I travel. Dives are fine so long as the food is good.

http://www.gdwriter.q45.org/map.png

Benzilla
01-28-07, 02:23 AM
gdwriter, I hope you can make it! I wouldn't worry at all about your Cadillac getting you there, I can tell it's been taken care of ;)

Back to the original question.

Super 8 would be fine I guess, it's not like I'll be spending a week there, as long as it's clean I'm fine with it.

I don't care that much about food, but if it comes down to a vote, I eat Italian. And local places are always better than chains.

I'll probably bring my Dad as far as family goes. He's never been a huge Cadillac guy, but I think he mentioned tagging along.

JRau
01-28-07, 09:40 AM
gdwriter: OMG! How cool would that be to have someone from the west coast at our meet! I hope it works out, man.

Thanks for considering it!

JRau in central Iowa

gdwriter
01-28-07, 10:45 AM
Now, let's see if we can get some of the Ohio guys (Florian, Illumina, Robert CTS, Pimpin88) to make the drive. Hell, I'd love to meet Sandy, Danbuc DopeStar (and Ms. DopeStar) if they came over from Jersey (somehow I doubt Sandy would subject his pampered Sixty Special to a cross-country road trip). Think we can get Sal or any other Florida people to come?

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it.

90Brougham350
01-28-07, 10:52 AM
Awesome, gdwriter, hope you come! I agree on the Ohio guys, plenty of members and the drive wouldn't be horrible. Hmmm, seems to me this is quickly turning into a bit of a national meet......

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-07, 12:05 PM
Awesome Gary, very happy to hear you might be headin out east to join us! It's like all of the CF people on my AIM buddy list will be here! Gary, Jesda, Brian, Ben and more!

Jesda, I'll split the room costs with you, but don't do anything funny, like ordering the honeymoon suite or you'll be paying for it all. I'm serious.

Let's see if we can get the Ohio group to come...Florian, Illumina, Pimpin88, that would be pretty cool. Maybe even ETC97 from Pennsylvania and his gf, whether she's in PA or IL, it's not too far of a drive either way. I'd surely like to meet Dopestar and his woman, and of course the god of Cadillac knowledge..Sandy, but I think he said something at some point about how he doesn't like road trips and I don't think he'd bring his 9300 mile Sixty Special even if he did. :(

Hell, maybe we can get some Floridians to come too....Boombotz, Rick, and the others!

Our first national meet? I sure hope so!

We should exchange phone numbers and stuff starting now, just to get this more arranged, with rooms and whatnot. I'll either PM you about it, or ask you on AIM if I have your screenname.

Oh, and you can bet I'll be bringing my digital camera and a large tolerance for "adult beverages", this'll be an event I'll never forget!

nickc50310
01-28-07, 12:29 PM
Looks like I might have another non cf member coming. One of my buddies is buying a CTS-V!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-07, 12:33 PM
Well sign him up than! :)

nickc50310
01-30-07, 03:03 PM
I put in another call to porky's the girl thought it would be fine but Im still waiting on the owner to call me back.

Flyin-Ryan
01-30-07, 03:17 PM
Do we have a website yet? Or close?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-30-07, 09:08 PM
Today I put in my request for the days off! I might have an issue asking for vacation days though, as the company policy is "5 vacation days after your 1 year anniversary" and my one year anniversary isn't until 7/11/07. My manager is a real cool guy and he said he'd see what he could do.

samm
01-31-07, 11:55 AM
hey, MN here, i'll be there. someone write me down or whatever then pm me when you got a website. i'll pay my dues to come.

nickc50310
01-31-07, 01:40 PM
Ok guys!! WE HAVE A GO ON PORKY's!! Just got the call from the owner!

We have a couple options here.

Heres the origional plan:
Meet at 12pm in old Target lot for motorcade
Motorcade leaves at 12:30 to go to Porky's
Have a group lunch at 1:30 pm
Hang out till 4 or 5 at Porkys and have some brew ha ha!
This plan has already been confirmed with the owner of Porky's. We can bring as many people as will show!

Heres an alternative option that he gave me- I LIKE THIS IDEA!
They are having an Elvis impersonation show that night- THEY WILL BE PACKED!! HUGE!!
If we want to come in at 4 or 5 they will reserve as many spots as we need. We could totally dominate car night with our caddies. If its nice, there will be litterally hundreds of people there. How cool would that be to have all our caddies on display for the masses? On top of that they will have ALOT of ladies around an plenty of booze! if we took this route, we could just go to a local bar after Porky's, probably around 11 or 12. If we want to party after the bars are closed we have my house within a mile or two! I think this would be the coolest idea. We would need an exact car count by May 12th for this plan so he knows how many spots to block. If we went this route then saturday during the day would could either just hang out or hit the links or do something else.

Let me know what you guys prefer. Heres a link for Porky's. look at the car night pics!! They usually get so busy that they have cops directing traffic! CAR NIGHT IS HUGE IN THIS AREA!

http://www.porkysdiner.com/

Heres a map of the local area with landmarks. Sorry, it was made in paint rather hastily!
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/nickc50310/meetmap.jpg

Let me know what you guys think! John Ill call you tonight.

Dont worry about anyone giving you shit at the meet. People hatin on anyones Caddy will get mopped up pretty quickly by myself and/or my friends. Im sure we got some big dudes around her also! Im sure Brent can bust some heads! What Im sayin is dont worry about people at car night giving you any problems if we take that route.

Jesda
01-31-07, 04:57 PM
Booyeah!

Flyin-Ryan
01-31-07, 05:22 PM
Yeah booya is right! Thanks to those who are working on this!

I do like the second plan a lot but if we want the lot to ours selves the 1st is good too. Tough call

kfx
02-01-07, 11:56 AM
Count me in, I already have this in my calendar, looks like a blast. My 03 cts is pretty stock and I don't know how much I'll be able to do to it between now and May, but I would luv to come out and see some of the sick things that you all have done to your rides.

I've only been on this forum a couple weeks and I'm already havin a blast talkin to you guys, would be great to meet f2f. I luv to golf (translate: semi-hacker) so that would fun to do on Sat.

Just an FYI (not a throw-down), us WI boys have mutated livers from generations of hardcore consumption, so I hope you guys are ready to partaaay :alchi: :alchi: :alchi: :alchi:

I'm more than willin to find my own hotel room, but was just wondering if there is a particular hotel everyone was planning on booking?

kfx

JRau
02-01-07, 09:01 PM
kfx,

There is a Super 8 that's less than a mile from the car show site. Sounds like everyone wants this hotel as the hotel of choice. We'll eat dinner together at a famous local restaurant, rather than a national chain restaurant. We'll have a great time!

JRau in central Iowa

Benzilla
02-01-07, 10:31 PM
Sounds great! This'll be a blast.

EDIT: hey, this makes my post count 2..420

nickc50310
02-01-07, 10:52 PM
Sounds great! This'll be a blast.

EDIT: hey, this makes my post count 2..420

speaking of which- hope youre ready!! hehe, i dont smoke much but ill have some quality poopoo around for you guys and ill get down with yas at some point!

Benzilla
02-01-07, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah... I'm ready. :D It'll be fun.

billytheshoe
02-02-07, 04:05 PM
I would drive down for that, Let me know when things sound more specific.

nickc50310
02-02-07, 04:31 PM
I would drive down for that, Let me know when things sound more specific.

You in for race night?? I want to race an Eldo REALLY bad!!

Heres my thoughts on the meet- Were getting close to pulling the trigger on this plan. I will take Friday off work. people are OK to arrive at my house anytime Friday to hang out and what not.

Friday-
Leave for cedar falls to race at 3pm
meet at hotel at 4:30 pm in CF
Get food- probably fast food
head to race track at about 5:45pm
race until they close or we decide to leave
head to some bars in Cedar falls
from there who knows on Friday! LOL

Not everyone has to go to Cedar Falls. We will have a block of rooms lined up for friday in both Des Moines and CF. If you want to go but not race Im sure you could ride up to CF with one of us that are racing. I might have my brother drive my Dad's Slade so we should have plenty of seats.

Saturday-
Youre on your own for breakfast
Meet at 1pm for motrocade
motorcade leaves at 1:15 pm
arrive at porkys at about 1:40pm
have a group lunch at 2:15pm
3:30- go outside and look around at cars
stay at porkys as long as you want- people arrive for the car night around 5 or 6 usually. This night will have 100s of people there and Im sure they would like seeing our cars. Leave when you want.
We could meet for dinner around 8;30 if you guys want or some people can stay at Porky's if they want
Go to a bar/club at 10 or 10:30
Stay at the bar until 2am for last call
head to my house or someones hotel room to party more. Strip club or after hours club is also a possibilty at this point. both stay open until 5 or 6 and are BYOB.

Sunday-
get brunch at Granite CITY at 11:30am
Shoot a round of golf at about 2pm or people can leave or just hang out if desired.
End of meet- if others want to hang out after golf thats cool with me

None of the activities are required. participation is solely up to all of you. We will have information for other things to do listed. No matter what youve heard- Des Moines is a pretty big city with plenty to do. Its a gorgeous and safe city to visit. if you have a family or are not big on partying there is plenty for you to do!

Let me know what you guys think of this. Ill discuss this with John on the phone also.