: MV6 Question re Transmission

guardian
11-06-06, 08:25 PM
I've been hanging out in this group long enough to where, for sure, I should know the answer to this;

but I do not know the answer.

Did Opel ever make available a manual transmission option for their MV6??:confused:

Thanks.

Warez
11-06-06, 08:31 PM
All of the european cars had optional manual transmissions.

guardian
11-06-06, 08:46 PM
All of the european cars had optional manual transmissions.

Cool.

So now the obvious followup question:

Has anyone out there ever fitted one of these manual transmissions to their Cat? or heard of this being accomplished?

Or is there some reason an MV6 manual does not work in a Catera?

aldi
11-07-06, 02:54 AM
The manual transmission will work in the Catera. But you will need a lot of parts for this.
First you need an R28 transmission (was only used in the 3.0MV6 and is very rare). Then you will need a cardan shaft, a fly wheel, some switches and all parts of the hydraulic clutch. There are maybe some other parts i don't know yet.

guardian
11-07-06, 06:02 AM
The manual transmission will work in the Catera. But you will need a lot of parts for this.
First you need an R28 transmission (was only used in the 3.0MV6 and is very rare). Then you will need a cardan shaft, a fly wheel, some switches and all parts of the hydraulic clutch. There are maybe some other parts i don't know yet.

Thanks, Aldi. That is fascinating; a legitimate path to a manual transmission for the Catera. Albeit that it's a difficult path.

Thanks again. The stuff one can learn here is remarkable.

I'm thinking. I'm thinking.

aldi
11-07-06, 07:59 AM
I'm planning to do the conversion next year, but i'm still looking for parts. If my informations are right, you will need a R28 transmission with an alpha-code JM or GL (from the Omega B) the ones from the straight-6 Omega A will not fit.
The MV6 Omega came stock with the automatic, but had a free option for the manual. But most were delivered with automatic. The top speed of the MT version was 10 km/h higher than the At version.

I've searched a long time for a Station Wagon with manual but can't find a good one. So i buyed a automatic at last.

The gear ratios of the manual transmission are:
1. gear: 3.808
2. gear: 2.106
3. gear: 1.337
4. gear: 1
5. gear: 0.814
reverse: 3.534

guardian
11-07-06, 09:13 AM
I'm planning to do the conversion next year, but i'm still looking for parts. If my informations are right, you will need a R28 transmission with an alpha-code JM or GL (from the Omega B) the ones from the straight-6 Omega A will not fit.
The MV6 Omega came stock with the automatic, but had a free option for the manual. But most were delivered with automatic. The top speed of the MT version was 10 km/h higher than the At version.

I've searched a long time for a Station Wagon with manual but can't find a good one. So i buyed a automatic at last.

The gear ratios of the manual transmission are:
1. gear: 3.808
2. gear: 2.106
3. gear: 1.337
4. gear: 1
5. gear: 0.814
reverse: 3.534

Fantastic.

But of course with Catera we have the potential for a problem you do not face:

Since the manual was originally fitted to some MV6's at the factory, it should go in for you with a minimum of cosmetic and/or "sheet metal" issues.

For us with Catera mechanically we should be fine once all the proper parts are in hand. But cosmetically, inside the car, arrangements and refinements would be on us. This since Caddy sadly never made the manual transmission option available with the Cat - there exist no interior fittings, no sheet (or other) metal, no plastic (molded or otherwise), no trim . . . nothing.

But Oh God to drive a Cat with a legitimate, proper, mechanically suitable, factory manual transmission. How cool is that!

A manual transmission is the final item needed to transform the Cat into an authentic sports sedan.

And, yes, the extra speed would be a nice bonus.

aldi
11-07-06, 11:07 AM
Don't forget the Catera is only a rebadged Omega and was produced at the same assembly line. You can get all parts, regarding the transmission, from an Omega and install them in the Catera without using sheet metal. E.g. the plastic piece around the gearshift is the same in the Omega, so the plastic of an MT version will fit and except the pedals the is no other difference between the cars interiors.
The only problem will be to stop the computer bringing transmission error codes, but i think a resistor will work there.

guardian
11-07-06, 11:21 AM
Don't forget the Catera is only a rebadged Omega and was produced at the same assembly line. You can get all parts, regarding the transmission, from an Omega and install them in the Catera without using sheet metal. E.g. the plastic piece around the gearshift is the same in the Omega, so the plastic of an MT version will fit and except the pedals the is no other difference between the cars interiors.
The only problem will be to stop the computer bringing transmission error codes, but i think a resistor will work there.

Very interesting.

I did/do not know the MV6 well enough to have known that.

And I forgot about the clutch pedal! Talk about "brain fade".:crybaby:

But regardless it's a seriously challenging project, what a great payoff! And all the parts are right. It's not as if we would be cobbling something together with a transmission from a different brand of car. :thumbsup:

Warez
11-08-06, 07:43 AM
Aldi:

Do you know if the Omega ever had a limited slip differential option?

aldi
11-08-06, 11:39 AM
Yes, a limited slip differential was aviable optional for all final drive ratios. Lock ratio was around 45%. But they are really rare and hard to identify, because the housing is similar to the normal differential and the sticker with the code often can't be read. Only a small plastic piece inside the oil refill screw identifies the lsd.

guardian
11-08-06, 07:02 PM
Yes, a limited slip differential was aviable optional for all final drive ratios. Lock ratio was around 45%. But they are really rare and hard to identify, because the housing is similar to the normal differential and the sticker with the code often can't be read. Only a small plastic piece inside the oil refill screw identifies the lsd.

Geez!! All the good stuff is in Germany!:)

So etwas habe ich noch nie gesehen!:eek:

MyOpel
11-19-06, 12:16 AM
Would you know if it is possible to go to the Opel dealer and simply get the LSD to use with my stock open diff?
Wenn alle gut geht, komme ich nach Deutschland im April.

aldi
11-23-06, 02:17 AM
The dealer says, that a replacement diff should be avialable within one week. But the price is evil, he said something like 5000 Euro :eek: . It must be made of gold i think.
If i got enough time next weekend, i will search my database if it is possible to change only the gearing. Thats hopefully less expensive.

guardian
11-23-06, 09:07 AM
The dealer says, that a replacement diff should be avialable within one week. But the price is evil, he said something like 5000 Euro :eek: . It must be made of gold i think.
If i got enough time next weekend, i will search my database if it is possible to change only the gearing. Thats hopefully less expensive.

E5000 for a differential is a remarkable, unconscionable amount of money! On what planet are these people living!

I think that's roughly $6000 US. Don't they realize you can buy an entire Catera for that kind of money. And it would run, too, and not look so bad.

I hope your gear idea works out for you.:thumbsup:

But only God knows what they will want for the gears.