Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Bose Radio, Some CD's Don't Work

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  CadillacSTS42005 
#1 ·
I have 7 CD's, 6 of which were copied by my daughter and one by a friend. All worked in my '97 Deville (non Bose). Now, only the one copied by my friend works in my '03 (Bose). The other 6 say "CD Initializing" then eject with a "CD error" message. Can anyone explain this?

#3 ·
wow ranger i finally get to help you out YAY!!!
it probably depends on which program they used to burn the cds and what format they are in (wma mp3 etc etc etc)
for a fact i can tell you that bose will NOT read any CD-RW cds only CD-Rs
what kind of cds are all 7 are the 6 the same and the 1 that works different? what programs did they use to burn? when it gives the error does it give the error number as well or just error?

#4 ·
Well I don't know jack about formats, but all the CD's say CD-R. I just went back out and tried them again and damned if the first one I put in didn't work and sounded fine. Next one also worked. Third one did not. No codes, just "CD ERROR". Stuffed it back in several more times and it finally worked. :hmm: What does that tell you? Player or CD?

#7 ·
GM tells us that it has to:

1. Bear the "compact disc" logo on the face of the disc
2. Be a single closed session recorded CD
3. Be a compatible format for the player to read

Some players won't read MP3 or WMA, it should be recorded CDA or it may not play at all. That's the three letter file extention if you put it into your drive... like it will say "track1.cda" if your computer is set to display file types.
You could have a player fault, but you'd have to find another vehicle and see if those same discs will play, I wouldn't bet on it.
I have heard of compatibility issues with some burning software.

I keep a test CD that I burned on my computer, I have yet to see it not work because I followed the guidelines above when burning it.
HTH

#8 ·
If your 97 Deville is the stock head unit, I don't think the file format would matter because the stock ones couldn't read mp3 or wma is I remembers correctly. Only cds burned as audio cds (74 or 80 minutes max).

There are special lens cleaning kits. I have one that is a cd with two brushes on the data side. You put some special liquid on it, and run it in the cd player. Its just regular rubbing alcohol.

As long as the cd was burned as an audio cd (normal ones like form the store) as opposed to a data cd (mp3, wma, the way you get 20 hours+ on one cd), it should play in most cd players. If the unit is picky, like some cars or home stereos, cd-r/cd-rw won't play well or at all.

Because the Bose unit read it after you kept shoving it in, it is the cd player to me. Because it sound like it plays the first time, everytime in your 97 Deville, the cd isn't excessivle flawed (bad burn, bad program, bad data, etc...)

Just for the record, I use some no name cds that I got at 200 cd-rs for $15 two years ago. I just finished the last one yesterday. I burn them real slow (below 12x), and they play in every single cd player they have ever been put in. On my mom's stereo, my sisters stock Mitsubishi cd player, dad's corvette, the minivan, my old HU, my new HU, my pc, etc...

#9 ·
CD-R/CD-RW, MP3, WMA, CDA. Now I am really getting confused. :bonkers: I'll get a lens cleaner and see if that helps. Just don't understand why the '97 (oops, I meant '02 SLS. Still non Bose) played them and the '03 Bose seems to be sporatic. Thanks for the help.

#14 ·
Well, the problem is that I am not sure if it is the CD or the radio. Dealer won't replace it unless they can prove that it is the radio and since it works with some CD's I suspect the radio may be ok. I am sure they will say that since it is a copy, that is the problem. I'll have to get a lens cleaner kit and try that first.

#17 ·
Well, upon further investigation I am convinced that it is a radio problem. I have noticed that the volumn seems to fluctuate, even when Automatic Volumn Control is turned off. To confirm this I went to fade and put it on full rear speakers. On most channels the rear speakers are barely audible and will fluctuate. Also (for those who are familiar with the Bose Radio) I have the DSP option set on "Spacious". Seems to work well on one channel, but when I switch to others, it sounds flat. I'll be taking her in for service later this week. I anticipate they will try to tell me that my initial problem is the copied CD, but I think I have enough ammunition to prove that something is just not right.

#19 ·
I know on some cars if you put the DSP on ambience and drive around there will be a very strong change in the audio from the rear channels.
I am not sure what the source is but I think it has to do with signal strength (on FM).
Does it operate the same if you turn DSP off?
The DSP probably won't be a deciding factor.
Make sure to leave the suspect media in the car, nothing makes me crazier than a ticket that says "some CDs won't play" and there is not one CD for me to test in the car.
If they have the suspect disc, they can try it in another car, if they don't they'll tell you nothing is wrong with it.
Good luck!

#20 ·
Thanks Bill. I plan on taking several of the CDs that don't play with me and my thought was to be sure they are tested in another unit. As for the DSP, I have not tried it with that off. That would suck if it is based on signal strength, but that does make some sense as a few channels sound normal. Damn, what good is a "Premium" system like Bose if it does not work? Will probably go in tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for feedback. It helps me understand what I am working with and may help me stay out of a fight if they tell me it is normal.

#22 ·
Just got back from the "doctor". Wouldn't you know it, the first CD we put in worked and made a liar out of me. Finally got it to error after a few tries. They said that there is a TSB about it regarding copied discs. Guess I'll have to get the cleaner disc and see if that help. Regarding the speaker fade, the advisor said that his car does the same thing and that is has to do with signal strength as Ewill3rd said. Didn't do it when DSP was turned off. Guess it is the nature of the beast, though you'd expect better from a premium sound system. Oh well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.