: Whoever designed small block chevy intake manifolds

Spyder
11-06-06, 01:57 PM
should be drug out in the street and shot. Goddamned middle three bolts are a pain in the ass to get out. I can't get a socket on them because the angle is just a tiny bit too much and the top of the socket, whether deep or shallow, hits the base for the carb. Wrenches will only go on the damned thing one tiny little way and then there's no leverage to work it or swing a hammer to crack them loose. I love my mopars. Pulling the heads on my Challenger takes about 45 mintues and I don't have to take off the distributor or swear or break my knuckles. I hate GM.

And on that note, any tips to getting them off a little easier? The two middle ones on the passenger side and the one middle one closer to the firewall on the drivers side are giving me trouble. I've got one broken pushrod and three holes with burnt valves. I need to get my old 84 Chevy back on the road again because I've got a bunch of moving to do in a week and a half. And I need the truck to do it. Where's my dynamite?

EcSTSatic
11-06-06, 02:07 PM
It's not just Chevy. I have an assortment of wrenches and sockets I've had to grind, bend, cut etc to do certain jobs on various cars I've worked on. Or you could purchase special tool no# xxxxxxxxx for $$$ to do the job. :hammer:

90Brougham350
11-06-06, 02:33 PM
Ratcheting wrenches might help you out a little bit. I've never done this, but a friend told me a distributor wrench might work for what you're talking about.

Krashed989
11-06-06, 02:36 PM
That's what universal joints are for.

Spyder
11-06-06, 02:42 PM
No box wrench in the world will fit on it...I broke down and rode my damned bike to Sears and bought a swivel socket in 9/16". Now I'm gonna go swear at it for a bit and see if it won't pop off easily. :)

Krashed989
11-06-06, 05:58 PM
Good luck to ya!

Spyder
11-06-06, 06:47 PM
Intakes long ago off...now I'm stuck with the damned exhaust...I got the passenger side off but am having trouble getting to the bottom last four headbolts. The drivers side is being a real helluva son of a... ... ... There's a bracket that mounts the A/C compressor that I swear I unbolted every possible thing that could be holding it in, but I can't get it out, and the front of it is holding the exhaust manifold on that side in. Irritating, to say the least. I'm thinking I'm done with it for the day. My back hurts like a mo-fo and I don't want to get all pissy with it and start swearing...the neighbor kids are playing in the yard. :) Goddamned Chevy. Like I said, this takes me 45 minutes to rip off a set of heads on the mopar...this is way too much work for an 84 pickup truck.

Krashed989
11-06-06, 08:15 PM
Sawsall? Hehehehe :alchi:

Spyder
11-06-06, 08:51 PM
Don't tempt me...it was definately thought of...

Destroyer
11-06-06, 09:11 PM
Must be an older 350, the 87-up motors are easy!. I remember my Olds 455 intake was murder to take off (bolt location).

Spyder
11-06-06, 11:09 PM
Yeeup...'tis an '84. Second one I've done this too, and last time it was a real whore to get at too. Kinda sucks because normally I don't mind when I run into problems, but I'm on a bit of a time crunch on this one. I'm super busy, as I'm moving out of this house and into another and have to be done with the move by the end of the month...and I have to have the truck up and running again before I can start the move!!!

90Brougham350
11-06-06, 11:14 PM
An '84, unfortunately it couldn't be a few years newer, in '88 they changed the angles of the center manifold bolts to straight up and down!

Spyder
11-07-06, 12:58 AM
And it probably would have been fuel injected and not have nearly so much smog crap on the carb! I cringed when I first had to do work on the carb on this thing...it has more wires running into the front and back of the carburetor than my old Dodge has under the entire hood!

Wiseguy2
11-07-06, 03:00 AM
HA!

I have a 93 750iL in the shop right now.. intake manifold gaskets are leaking...

Spyder
11-07-06, 04:11 AM
HA! You're either getting paid to work on it or having someone else do it for you! No broken knuckles for you! :)

RobertCTS
11-07-06, 08:38 AM
As to your title..if you wanna go back to the beginning, the engineer/designer of the small block Chevy was Zora Arkus-Duntov. I was at a Corvette meet in 1994 where he autograhed a Corvette poster for me. I was fortunate as it was about 24 months before he passed away.

I remember a special curved wrench was designed to remove the transmissions in the '57 Chevys and Corvettes. I use to have one that I used on my '65 Corvette. There are a lot of specialty tools available from Mr Goodwrench that the Techs use when working on the GM cars. The are specified in the GM Service Manuals. All jobs are easy when you have the right tools. :)

dp102288
11-07-06, 12:00 PM
I never understood why they made things on engines so difficult. If it isn't hard for the owner, it will be hard for the mechnic anyways. Leads to the posiblility of breaking more stuff to do the original job.

I understand that some things can't be changed, but not everything has to be so damn hard.

Stoneage_Caddy
11-07-06, 12:45 PM
Outside purpose built racecars like the Audi R10 and large heavty duty equipment no vehicle made is ment to be worked on.

Just the way it is ....There made to be assembeld quickly cheaply and easily by someone with a minuium 12th grade education on a factory floor....

Its why mechanics i always felt never got the reputation they deserved , not only do they troubleshoot but have to be part engineer to figure out how to get something out of there. Speical tools from the builder are desgined well after the car is built....

Its a nasty fact , one of many why i dont do it for a living anymore ...

RobertCTS
11-07-06, 01:19 PM
Chevy put the small block in the Vega. You had to disconnect the motor mount and jack the engine up to get to one of the rear plugs. But Hey the Vega was never intended to have a V8 put in it.

EcSTSatic
11-07-06, 01:22 PM
Chevy put the small block in the Vega. You had to disconnect the motor mount and jack the engine up to get to one of the rear plugs. But Hey the Vega was never intended to have a V8 put in it.

Robert. Are you thinking of the Monza? There were aftermarket kits for the Vega but I don't think Chevy ever did it.

RobertCTS
11-07-06, 02:05 PM
Robert. Are you thinking of the Monza? There were aftermarket kits for the Vega but I don't think Chevy ever did it.

Hmm..I think you're right. The Monza was a bit sportier than the Vega. They did offer a Cosworth racing engine in the Vega as an option..right?:)

I wish I could remember everything I know!! :(

EcSTSatic
11-07-06, 02:30 PM
Hmm..I think you're right. The Monza was a bit sportier than the Vega. They did offer a Cosworth racing engine in the Vega as an option..right?:)

I wish I could remember everything I know!! :(

Yes. There was a Cosworth Vega (http://www.adclassix.com/ads/75cosworthvega.htm).

RobertCTS
11-07-06, 02:46 PM
Yes. There was a Cosworth Vega (http://www.adclassix.com/ads/75cosworthvega.htm).

See!!!!!!!!!!:bouncy: Did I win something?:hmm:

I can tell you've been around the block a few times to remember these old less remembered pony cars.:)

Remember Yenko Stingers?

EcSTSatic
11-07-06, 02:55 PM
See!!!!!!!!!!:bouncy: Did I win something?:hmm:

I can tell you've been around the block a few times to remember these old less remembered pony cars.:)

Remember Yenko Stingers?

Yeah well, like you said "I wish I could remember everything I know!! :("
I remember the Yenko Camaros but you got me on the Stinger. It was a Corvair right? The hottest 'vairs I knew had the factory turbocharged flat 6's. Before performance mufflers were a real market, the hot setup was to install the 2 1/2 Corvair turbo mufflers on your car.

RobertCTS
11-07-06, 03:04 PM
Yeah well, like you said "I wish I could remember everything I know!! :("
I remember the Yenko Camaros but you got me on the Stinger. It was a Corvair right? The hottest 'vairs I knew had the factory turbocharged flat 6's. Before performance mufflers were a real market, the hot setup was to install the 2 1/2 Corvair turbo mufflers on your car.

Very Good. Then Nader Killed the Corvair. Here's a link.http://www.corvaircorsa.com/yenko01.html

Spyder
11-07-06, 04:10 PM
HAHAHA!!! I think I was about three minutes away from going to Mexico and buying some dynamite to finish the job when I did something that just made me laugh. Pulling one of the head bolts, it slipped from my fingers and landed...smack dab in the middle of the big gaping hole which just happens to be the damned exhaust header pipe. I heard it rattle its way on down past the point where the two pipes come together and I thought "F%&K". Then I laughed. Out loud. Kinda made me smile that something so damned random and stupid would happen, but it did, so oh well. Anyone have any sources for a single long head bolt for a small block chevy? :D

The heads are off and I don't know what I'm looking for. From my research, I think the valves are burnt, but they're not obviously so, which means I'm waiting now for a friend of mine in an engine machine shop to get off his lunch break so I can run them over to him and see what he thinks. Hopefully it'll be quick, easy and cheap to fix. Or maybe, just maybe, he'll have a spare set of used small block chevy heads ready to go sitting on a shelf somewhere that I can trade/buy, and get back to work on my truck.

Lunch time for me. Then to work at 4. This will have to wait until tomorrow.

dp102288
11-08-06, 11:40 AM
Wow, at least you seem like you are in a better mood. :)