: Crankshaft Position Sensor Replaced-Code Still Set P0385

ipncjh1
11-06-06, 09:05 AM
All,
2000 DTS

Was getting the code for Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit B (P0385). Car was stalling occasionally and hard to start sometimes. Replaced the B sensor with one from NAPA and cleared all codes. On test drive car still stalls sometimes at stop and now check engine light is on. Have P0385 error back again.
Does anyone know what to look at next.

ps. I have not done the learn procedure. Should I take it to the dealer and ask them to perform this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Dadillac
11-06-06, 10:50 AM
Both crank sensors should be changed at the same time. The one you didn't change obviously is the bad sensor. They work together, so if one is out of whack, it affects the other. Change the other one and post back.

Don

ipncjh1
11-09-06, 02:26 PM
Don,
Thanks so much. At least this time I know exactly how to get to them! I will post back in a couple of weeks after I get to changing the upper one.

nigelb
11-09-06, 03:55 PM
Don,
Thanks so much. At least this time I know exactly how to get to them! I will post back in a couple of weeks after I get to changing the upper one.

so you changed the lower sensor??

PO385 is, as you know, sensor B circuit.
Sensor B is the UPPER one, looks like you replaced the wrong one

ipncjh1
11-13-06, 11:35 AM
Nigelb,

hahaha. That it the story of my life. Figures I would replace the wrong sensor. I should have just done both while I was in there, was trying to save some $$ for some of the other things wrong with the DTS. Anyway, thanks so much for the info. I have the new upper sensor on order from Rock Auto and will get to it this weekend. Will post how it goes.

ipncjh1
11-18-06, 06:03 PM
All,
Replaced upper (B) CPS and cleared all codes. Problem is gone. Thanks to everyone that helped.

ps. The upper CPS bolt was loose. Probably was the problem all along. Replaced the sensor anyway since I was in there.

Ranger
11-18-06, 06:46 PM
A little late now, but you should replace both the "A" & "B" sensors at the same time. The other will likely fail in the future.

ipncjh1
11-19-06, 04:10 PM
Ranger,
Sorry I did not make it clear. Both are replaced and the car is doing excellent. Now if I could get the Climate Control fixed I would be all set.
Thanks for your help.
Brian

legendary510
11-19-06, 11:00 PM
i just replaced mine today. all ckp sensors codes cleared, car is running great. but i did get 1 code back:

P1189- engine oil pressure switch circuit

maybe one of the connectors aren't fastened correctly when i put the oil filter adapter back on? i did an oil change while i was under there and gave it some synthetic blend and a new filter. any ideas?

nigelb
11-20-06, 02:44 AM
you need to recheck the oil switch connector, i found that it was very difficult to get to the connector, the harness was too short for me to pull the wires far enough to get my hand on the connector properly.
i spent more time reconnecting the oil switch than i did actually changing the CKP's.
the switch earth through the connector, not the housing or bolts.

ipncjh1
11-22-06, 08:34 PM
All,
For the what it is worth department, the oil filter adapter does not have to be completely removed. I did not disconnect the oil sensor or completely remove the oil filter adapter. I simply used some wire and wired ti up out of the way.

I agree with nigelb that you have a problem with the connector. Check it out and you probably will see it is loose or not properly plugged in.
Thanks to everyone.
Brian

legendary510
11-24-06, 01:51 PM
yea, the connector was just hanging there, i guess it didn't snap into place properly and wedged its way off. got it in and cleared codes, smooth sailing from here on out...