: timing belt

bK caddy
11-05-06, 12:40 AM
i just got my caddy its 97 175 KM i dont know if the guy who had it before changed the timing belt or not.
how do i know when its time to get it changed? or how do i know if its in good condition?

is it normal when i start the car it makes reallllllly LOUD kinda screamin/squicking noise when its Cold out? i think its the timing belt not sure

any idea :confused:

omega98
11-05-06, 02:39 AM
that sounds like u need to change your supentene belt, and its a pain inthe butt to change on this car alot of suff in the way!!

bK caddy
11-05-06, 09:57 AM
whats the diff between timing belt and serpentine belt?

guardian
11-05-06, 09:59 AM
i just got my caddy its 97 175 KM i dont know if the guy who had it before changed the timing belt or not.
how do i know when its time to get it changed? or how do i know if its in good condition? . . . .

With circa 109K miles on the car you can be pretty sure the timing belt already has been changed at least once, possibly even twice. It is VERY, VERY unlikely you still are running on the original timing belt.

So while anything is possible, I will speak only to the most likely situation:

It's important and a good thing you are not on the original belt. They were buggy, especially in the '97 Cats. If the original belt were still in there, and if it were my car, I would not even drive the car. So be grateful for your good fortune on that one.

But the age of your existing belt is an unknown. The replacement belts are good for circa 60K miles minimum, 80K miles nominal, and more miles than that under favorable conditions and/or if you are lucky.

If the car was always garaged, of if it was operated in a "winter-free" climate, the life of your belt will be longer. If the car was in a HEATED garage, you can add even more miles to your belt's life expectancy.

If the car was stored outdoors and lived where winter asserts itself, well, that shortens the belt's life. If the car was outdoors in severe cold temperatures, i.e., 20 degrees to minus twenty degrees F, and started routinely under those conditions, well, that's just murder for the belt and really shortens its life.

Under visual examination, your belt might show its condition and need for replacement, or it might NOT. It is entirely possible your belt could be near failure and not show ANY signs of wear and tear at all. The only certain ways for you to ensure your belt is OK: replace the belt or learn for sure when it last was replaced.

So bottom line I can't tell you what to do. It is your car. I hope the above gives you some feel for where you stand.

It's always such a pity when a belt breaks in service. Really hope yours remains intact.

Good luck!:)

Warez
11-07-06, 01:33 AM
whats the diff between timing belt and serpentine belt?

Timing belt is the one that runs from the crankshaft to each of the 4 camshaft cog wheels. This one is covered and cannot be seen.

The serpentine belt is the one that you actually see which runs from the crank shaft pulley to the power steering pump, AC compressor and alternator.

lakesidepark
11-07-06, 09:16 AM
that squealing could be the serpentine belt tensioner pulley. If so it will start to squeal more often. That pulley will eventually collapse and shred the belt. Don't wait on it either - when it breaks it won't blow the engine immediately or anything like that, but the belt will damage things (like AC hoses and switches) and the power steering, fans, water pumps (ALL of them) will drop out (because you lose the alternator). Emergency tip - you can jumper the coolant test connector to get the fans and aux pump fired up but that will suck the life out of the battery so you won't go far anyway. It might get you home if you aren't far away (about 5 minutes).
You can guess how I know these things....
Bettter to replace it.

bK caddy
11-12-06, 11:53 PM
the noise is gone after i changed the serpentine belt. never heard it since then anyways so that must been it
thanks guys

newbee
11-13-06, 10:44 AM
How much does it cost to change the serpentine belt? What about the timing belt along with it? Im having the same problem with the squeeling.

bK caddy
11-13-06, 09:49 PM
the belt only cost me about $30 and a friend put it on for me it only took a half hour to get changed but you got to move alot of stuff...good luck