Cadillac Owners Forum banner
11K views 93 replies 11 participants last post by  DUBdeville 
#1 ·
Hello, I need to know what wiring harnesses and stuff I need to buy to put in a new head unit instead of my factory head unit.

I talked to Crutchfield and they didnt have anything because of something like the "Factory alarm ding" something to that matter. So I just need to know what wiring harnesses I need and if I need any amp bypasses or anything like that.

Oh, and if I put in a new HU, will the controls on my steering wheel still work?

#3 ·
Ok, so apparently, after searching, Ive found that I need:

1. Order the Metra 99-2005 Deville/Seville Kit
2. Order the Metra GMOS-06 and an antenna

Apparently, this will use the factory amp and factory speakers (which ive replaced, but wired them into the factory system instead of adding my own speaker wire.) Also my keyless and all the factory controls will still work. Thats what Ive gathered. Is my evidence gathering correct?

Now, where can I get these two items at a good price?

#4 ·
ahh
well the fit kit is about 20 bucks on ebay
and in my numerous searching (which believe me is ALOT) this is the cheapest place by far for the gmos-06
http://www.vehitronix.com/catalog/product_reviews.php?cPath=25&products_id=809
my old source obviously discovered that they were rediculasly low and pulled it at 65 bucks heres the next best at 67 bucks

im more than happy to help with the install and i extend the same offer to you as i do everyone if your willing to bring the car to me ill do the install for free

also dont forget you NEED to run your own constant power wire directly from the pos battery terminal to the yellow wire on your new hu

#13 ·
CadillacETC1997,

I've been trying to figure how best to run a constant to my new HU. If I run it direct from the battery, the body computer won't sense the current draw and shut down all power? Obviously, it can't shut down the power direct from the battery, but if it does it's normal shut down, my alarm goes off, so that's a problem. I've found if I leave a cell phone charger in the cig. lighter the alarm will always go off after 15-20 minutes.

96 Deville.

#14 · (Edited)
umm trust me (that ok idk what i had here originally that it was replaced with **** *** lol)
its that sleep mode that kills the constant power to the hu and why you need to run your own constant less you feel like programming all of your settings as soon as you leave the car alone for 10 mins
it would still need the ignition power wire for the hu to turn on the hu
without the wire being run to through your computer there will be no detection of the power draw
therefore you wont have a problem
this way has worked for my ETC my mom's 96 Deville The727Kid's 97 ETC, 99Classillac's 99 Deville and countless others

#23 ·
CadillacETC1997,

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll run the wire, I guess through the firewall somehow. I've been living without a constant for about a month and I'm getting really tired of losing all my settings.

I asked the question because someone else had said that the draw would still be detected even from the battery.

#25 · (Edited)
Ok, found that the aftermarket alarm installer already ran a fused hot wire from the battery to through the fire wall so that was easy to tap into.

Now I'm having problem with the switched power. The red lead from the wiring harness doesn't seem to ever have any power key off or on.

Also, I just noticed that the Metra harness I'm using doesn't have any wire on the other side of the red acc. wire, so it's connected to nothing on the car side.

#26 ·
Alright, last question, I hope.

The installation is taking place soon, and is there going to be any trouble taking the old HU out? It looks pretty snug in there so Im just making sure if I have to take the dash off or what.

ETC, I appreciate all your help. I have given plenty of Reps for this thread and I hope to continue.

#28 ·
Found the answer to my switched power posted above. Near the steering column there is a big plug with lots of wires. I put a volt meter on the metal piece where the wire enters the plug to search for switched power. Found it quickly near the end of the plug, dark brown wire. It doesn't have power when the key is in the accessory position, only when the key is on, but that's ok with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.