: 97 N8 port, polish and valve job

wpg-topsecret
11-04-06, 05:32 PM
I'm going to be rebuilding my 97 shortly for the fiero (head gaskets). I plan on porting and polishing the heads while they are off the car. I'm wondering if the performance gains of a valve job are worth it? I plan to install chrfab's cams eventually as well....

dkozloski
11-04-06, 07:09 PM
I'm going to be rebuilding my 97 shortly for the fiero (head gaskets). I plan on porting and polishing the heads while they are off the car. I'm wondering if the performance gains of a valve job are worth it? I plan to install chrfab's cams eventually as well....
A good performance valve job done by an expert can provide almost as much of an improvement as the polishing and porting. Unfortunately it requires a great deal of experience and thousands of dollars in tooling. A botched porting job by an amateur can kill engine performance. Other than simple polishing this is work that is best left to the professionals. After you serve a lengthy apprenticeship with a well equipped shop you too can command the thousands of dollars that this kind of work will bring.