: Help with 2003 Deville Navigation

DLS
11-03-06, 06:27 PM
I installed the navigation unit in my 2003 Deville DTS, modified the harness per the instructions, had the dealer activate the unit (I had to show them how). I went into the diagnostic screen and inadvertantly selected update the software. Now the screen is open and requesting the proper system software CD. Evidently until it reads the system software CD it won't close.

Does anybody know where I can obtain this CD?

Thanks,
Dave

CadillacSTS42005
11-03-06, 06:54 PM
dealer ONLY thing
you have 2 options
1 take it to the dealer
2 remove radio fuse (or d/c the battery id do this because its more likely to fix it)

if its anything like ive herd though you MAY of erased the rom data on the unit
the dealer wont have the disk
and your kinda screwed with a unit without any software

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 10:20 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

You bricked it.

I did the same thing but was lucky to get my unit warrantied by the dealer under Certified Pre-Owned warranty.

What you did was erase the firmware of the unit. The dealer did not only not have the the CD required to reload the firmware, they didn't even know one exsisted, and further, had no clue where to get it.

It seems the only people who have it is Denso, and they won't give it to you OR the dealer.

Hopefully, you will somehow get your hands on the required CD.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 10:39 AM
guy hasnt been or responded back
idk whats up with this
i thought it may of been bricked but i was holding out some hope for the guy...

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 10:50 AM
I wanted to pound my knuckles with a tack hammer after I bricked mine the same way he did.

what really sucks is, it loses all the firmware for the buttons and it will not turn off. It killed my battery in one night of sitting waiting to go to the dealer.

There is no worse feeling than knowing you f'd something expensive up cause you were screwing around where you should not have been.

There was one other case of this a few months ago where someone bought a NAV unit off ebay and it showed up bricked just like this... now that would really suck.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 10:54 AM
true
i seriously wonder about finding that disc...
i mean they made the feature to update the firmware so there has to be a firmware update for it?
did anyone try contacting denso?

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 11:03 AM
Yup, I tried as well as the dealer... no luck.

There was never a firmware update released as far as denso says, the option was put in in case there ever was an official firmware upgrade.

Cadillac told me Denso said they will not give anyone the CD because it is protected intellectual property that was never meant to be distributed. In other words, closed source.

I am also under the assumption that Denso may not even have it, as they are not really the ones who actually make the NAV's. I remember reading somewhere that they were just the middle people branding it.

I guess they don't want anyone stealing their work, whoever they may be.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 11:05 AM
hey i found this it even gives part numbers according to this its for the 05+ STS navis but they were still denso units it worth a shot i guess
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-126-001.pdf

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 11:11 AM
Thats not the condition you get when you erase the firmware. You get nothing except a prompt to insert the disk containing the required firmware and software. You can't even close the flip screen... hell you can't even turn it off.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 11:14 AM
true
but it does state those pns are the software for the system
and thats what the unit is asking for
like i said the guys kinda screwed if those disc work and there is a shot they might i figured it was worth mentioning to him

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 11:18 AM
Absolutely.

Anything is worth a shot when you are looking at having to drop another grand on a new NAVi cause you got curious and did not listen to your inner voice screaming "DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!" as you push the "Upgrade Firmware" button on your NAVi.

Ugggh.. I get sick just thinking about that day.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 11:24 AM
yea really
i purchase my Denso DVD navi system 2marrow to replace my avic-n1 ( i just payed over a grand for it with 3 year warrenty its now for sale) and begin my major project of being the 1st Eldo with factory navi

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 11:33 AM
I have been toying with the idea of pulling mine out and selling it and going with a CarPuter in its place like the one in THIS (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/34877-carputer-install-finished.html) thread.

I want more options than what I have with the factory NAVi, like MP3 and more direct way of hooking my ipod up.

But, to do that I will have to also probably convert my factory Bose speakers. If it were not for that, I would have already have done it.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 01:10 PM
dude
buy the ipod2car
you remove your disc changer and then you have a way to plug and control your ipod!!!

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 01:14 PM
ipod2car doesnt work with NAV.

There is a work around, but I am more interested in the Carputer scenario.
They are not that expensive anymore.

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 01:37 PM
what do you mean it doesnt work with navi?????

would you be interested in selling yours perhaps?
best offer i got so far was 450 for one with antenna and navi disc

if youll have it i can trade you a set of great speaks that cost be over 450 with shipping that would slam in your fronts a set of componet infinity kappa perfect 6.1s 100 rms 400 peak
plus the fit kit, data class 2 retention harness etc etc etc

im really broke at the moment

the727kid
11-06-06, 01:42 PM
aye ETC you got that trackn # for the switch....since u aint talkn on aim?

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 01:43 PM
im class bro i dont got it wit me rofl hence y im not online

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 01:45 PM
what do you mean it doesnt work with navi?????

would you be interested in selling yours perhaps?
best offer i got so far was 450 for one with antenna and navi disc

if youll have it i can trade you a set of great speaks that cost be over 450 with shipping that would slam in your fronts a set of componet infinity kappa perfect 6.1s 100 rms 400 peak
plus the fit kit, data class 2 retention harness etc etc etc

im really broke at the moment

The connector plugs are different for the NAV version.

There are some threads about it here or in the Deville section about it.

I am not ready to sell or trade it just yet, I am still doing research as to what I am going to do. But when I do, I will list it on this site before ebay and give the peeps here first dibs.

the727kid
11-06-06, 01:45 PM
lol my bad, let me know when u home i been tryn to get at you all weekend so i can see where its at

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 01:49 PM
i know the plugs on the back of the unit are different but the ipod2car goes in place of the cd changer in the glove box and plugs in there
your telling me that the cd changer plug is different????

i actually never herd of an issue pluging the ipod2car into a navi system this makes me rethink alot of what i had planned....

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 01:51 PM
Here is the solution...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/74477-2001-navigation-ipod-integration.html?highlight=ipod

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 01:54 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/74477-2001-navigation-ipod-integration.html

wow yea i just found that too
see there is a way with the ipod2car to plug in your ipod i thought it was solved

HITMONEY
11-06-06, 01:57 PM
I said there was a work around, and who knows.. that was a while ago.. might not even be needed anymore.

<shrugs>

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 02:01 PM
i wonder if the 12 disc changer thats in my eldo uses the same plug as the 6 disc changer....

if it is then it can be done...

more and more i think about it, i may just get an d1 or d2 screen....
i hate the flip screen...

DLS
11-07-06, 01:05 AM
guy hasnt been or responded back
idk whats up with this
i thought it may of been bricked but i was holding out some hope for the guy...

Thanks for all your responses. I have an appointment with the Cadillac dealer to have them fix my "brick". If the advisor understood what I described he said that it could be fixed with the Tech 2 and $ 122.00. I will advise what the outcome is after I return from the dealer.

Yeah, there was that little voice saying no, no, no... but then there was that voice saying- push the button and get it out of being stuck in Baltimore since I'm located in Florida........ Oh well, live and learn.

dp102288
11-07-06, 10:22 AM
^^ Yeah keep us posted.

ETC, your changing your navi again? And I thought you said you were broke! :D

CadillacSTS42005
11-07-06, 11:18 AM
rofl
dude i am broke but im gonna buy the fact navi see if i can get it to work and if i can and like it better im gonna sell my n1 with 3 year warrenty i just payed a grand for like 800 bucks
i am broke though this is gonna be on the charge car i just dropped 525 bucks for my a/c to be fixed lol

CadillacSTS42005
11-07-06, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I have an appointment with the Cadillac dealer to have them fix my "brick". If the advisor understood what I described he said that it could be fixed with the Tech 2 and $ 122.00. I will advise what the outcome is after I return from the dealer.

Yeah, there was that little voice saying no, no, no... but then there was that voice saying- push the button and get it out of being stuck in Baltimore since I'm located in Florida........ Oh well, live and learn.

if the navi system said you were in the wrong location then 2 things are wrong
1 you have to drive in a wide open area (a major hwy is best) so the sat picks up on you and will automatically register your position
2.your antenna is in a bad spot

HITMONEY
11-07-06, 02:05 PM
Or, you do not have the right section of country selected on the NAV.

DLS
11-08-06, 04:19 AM
Well the dealer didn't have a clue and tried to sell me a new nav dvd for $400. But, they couldn't guarantee that it would work. Figures..... The advisor even told me that he and his tech didn't want to work on it again. I asked where they send the radios for repair and went to the local repair shop- they tried for about an hour and spoke to 2 other techs in other companies. Still no luck. So, I have a call into Denso navigation support.. I'll let you all know what happens when I speak to them.
Remember, listen to that voice that says, NO - don't push this button! I smashed the "brick" on that finger as a reminder.

dp102288
11-08-06, 10:38 AM
Damn, man, bad luck. :( (Maybe just a stubborn mind.)

CadillacSTS42005
11-27-06, 11:49 PM
any luck man?