: Din size radio in 79 DeVille, How To?

el_chupacabra_99
11-03-06, 11:53 AM
I am wanting to replace my factory shaft style radio in my 79 DeVille. I want to put a DIN size CD player of some kind in there. I am not sure how to get the trim piece off the dash around the radio itself. Also, I would rather not cut the dash where the shafts from the old radio if I don't have too. I haven't found any diagrams online or been able to find anybody who has done this to help. I also searched here on the forums quite a bit to see if it had been posted and couldn't find it. I have the skill level to do it, I just need some direction as to what is involved. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

CadillacSTS42005
11-03-06, 05:43 PM
only choice is to cut it if you want it in the dash
other choice is fab up some way to mount it under the dash or in the glove box

Benzilla
11-03-06, 10:59 PM
I cut the dash on my '83, and used a installation package from crutchfield.com. Worked great, but If you want to keep it more original, theres a kit somewhere out their to easily mount it under the dash. I'd do that on my '79 because I don't want to cut it up, but I have a water temp gauge under there. sorry I couldn't be more help.

el_chupacabra_99
11-06-06, 04:20 PM
I can and will cut the dash if I have to...I don't plan on going back to a shaft style, nor do care about staying completly stock. I don't have any plans of putting in LCD screens and equalizers and all that (nothing wrong with it, just don't want or need all that in my car). So if there is some cutting where the shafts go through fine, I can live with that. What is involved in removing the trim pieces in getting to it though? After I remove the 2 screws above the ashtray, will it just slide out? Does it have clips that hold it in place that I have to pull out as well?

CadillacSTS42005
11-06-06, 04:30 PM
not an expert on 70s audio i have no experiance so itd be on of those id have to see it infront of me and i could do it things
heck i havent even messed with my 74 eldo verts radio yet lol

Highway Star
11-06-06, 07:26 PM
I can and will cut the dash if I have to...I don't plan on going back to a shaft style, nor do care about staying completly stock. I don't have any plans of putting in LCD screens and equalizers and all that (nothing wrong with it, just don't want or need all that in my car). So if there is some cutting where the shafts go through fine, I can live with that. What is involved in removing the trim pieces in getting to it though? After I remove the 2 screws above the ashtray, will it just slide out? Does it have clips that hold it in place that I have to pull out as well?

There's 2 hidden phillip screws in the upper vents. Adjust them up as far as you can and you'll see the screws.