: 2007 SRX 4 loaner

TSS
11-03-06, 09:21 AM
I just picked a 2007 V-6 AWD SRX as a loaner (my wife's SLS is in for service, so that is what they gave me to use). Therefore, I have all weekend to do a side-by-side comparison of the 07 against my 06 V-8 AWD NAV Ultraview MRC loaded SRX back at home.

First impressions of the 07:

First, the V-6 is peppy enough even with the AWD. However, it it much noisier than my V-8. I would actually consider it the next time around though due to increased gas mileage and decreased cost. I may be able to live with the extra noise for those two benefits - we will see if I feel the same way after the weekend.

Second, if you are able, GET THE MRC. The ride without is much harsher/choppy and handling with the MRC is in a different league. I love my MRC!

Third, I have been a critic of the new interior. I will now say it has some nice features and looks pretty good in person. However, the quality of material does not seem vastly different to me. Still kinda hard for a Cadillac. So, it looks somewhat better, but does not really feel and better or richer when you are actually inside. It also feels a little bit too "car-like" to me. I still like the old style better, but have no real complaints with the new interior either. One nice feature on the 07 is that you can have a digital speed readout in addition to the analog.

I will post again after I have had more time behind the wheel.

c5 rv
11-03-06, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the review. Waiting for more.

:food-snacking:

TSS
11-04-06, 02:54 PM
Saturday: I am seriously questioning my decision to get the V-8. That v-6 is pretty peppy - I am learning to live with the nominal added V-6 noise.

The 07 seems higher than mine too. I have the 18 inch wheels (55 ratio) b/c I have the V-8. The loaner has the 17 inch (60 ratio). Off hand, anybody know which should theoretically sit higher?

Another interior improvement is that I can read my avg MPG/MPH/etc without giving up my clock. In my 06 w/ Nav, it is a CHOICE of clock or the other functions at any given time.

MortnCyn
11-04-06, 03:17 PM
I think you will find that the 18" wheels have a lower profile tire so the total diameter of the 17" and 18" are about the same. Tire chart shows the 235/65-17 vs. the 235/60-18 diameters as follows: 17" @ 29.03 and the 18" @ 29.10.

c5 rv
11-04-06, 04:31 PM
Does the MRC make any difference in ride height? As for the V6 performance, I'm interested in hearing your comparison. When I test drove a V6 and V8, I seemed to notice the difference, but maybe it was perception more than anything else.

With fall here and lower gas prices, I'm starting to get some serious inquiries about my truck that is for sale. If I sell it, I'm was considering a CPO V8 STS. But maybe a V6 STS would do the job just as well for a lot less. Then again, I like the CTS Sport and the Buick Lucerne.

Mike_S_30189
11-04-06, 08:01 PM
I have a 2007 SRX 4, AWD 6 cyl with the perfomance package & MRC. I also own an 05 SRX w/o MRC. I am not sure of the height issue, but I think MRC makes a huge differnce in ride. Also, I think the interior takes the SRX to the next level. The vehicle, drive train, power etc. has made the vehicle Car & Driver's #1 for the last three years. However, the interior has always received pundit's disrespect. Now the interior is word class. Way to go Cadillac!

05SRXV8
11-04-06, 08:39 PM
When I bought my 05srxawdv8 I thought the 6cyl lacked power. It had to down shift going up minor grades alot. With a vehicle this heavy, I felt the advantage of any slight mpg increase with the 6 cyl in real world driving did not offset the great increasae in torque and power from the v8.

ckrichards
11-05-06, 05:49 PM
Another interior improvement is that I can read my avg MPG/MPH/etc without giving up my clock. In my 06 w/ Nav, it is a CHOICE of clock or the other functions at any given time.

That is a nice improvemnt. I bought a scangauge (http://www.scangauge.com/) to track my mileage.

TSS
11-06-06, 09:29 AM
Monday: Well, after hauling around my wife and son on Sunday, I am back to recommending the V-8 over the V-6. Sorry for the seemingly continuous flip-flop on this issue. With a few passengers, acceleration and highway merging differences are very noticable. Moreover, my wife and son both commented on the increased engine noise. If they notice it, it has to be significant. Don't get me wrong, if the V-6 was the only available engine, it would be fine and I would still buy the SRX. It is a great V-6. However, having lived with the V-8, that is my preference for effortless merging, acceleration, and reduced engine harshness/noise.

The interior of the 07 has grown on me, but I still don't feel it is very intuitive. I have the same issues with the 06+ DTS's as well (many shared interior parts with the 07 SRX). I suppose I just need to get used to it, as it seems to be the direction of Cadillac.

I will probably have my wife's car back today, so this may be my last entry for this thread.

b4z
11-07-06, 08:12 AM
If you think the '07 V6 is noisey try the '04.
In '05 they made changes to the valvetrain covers and timing chain to
quiet it down some.
not a lot, but some.

TSS
11-07-06, 08:42 AM
Honestly, I would not characterize it as generally noisy. I have had MUCH noisier/harsher V-6 engines. It is a great V-6. BUT, it is significantly noisier than my SRX V-8 when compared side-by side.

mohmoh
11-16-06, 08:53 PM
I'm in the same situation right now. My 2005 V8 with everything is in the shop. I'm driving a V6 with nothing.
The V6 is rough and feels dramatically less powerful than the V8 to me. Also no traction control and no AWD left me loosing the rear end a little on slippery roads. The ride is noticeable worse, missing the mag-ride. On the plus side it has an auto lift gate and noticeably better fuel economy.
I would never by the V6. Probably get a 2007 Acura MDX instead.
As they say, your mileage may vary...

Eldo1953
11-16-06, 09:11 PM
I think to make a long story short here is that... The Nothstar rules. It is a great engine no doubt.:worship:

MortnCyn
11-17-06, 06:16 PM
Still, if one is inclined to buy vehicles with V-6 engines they will like the SRX.