: need timesert kit for my 94 n*

metro107
02-29-04, 12:41 PM
hi everybody,anybody know where i can get a good used timesert kit for n*.Someone mentioned botboy had them?need it for my 94 eldo,found two pulled bolts front head end cylinder causing loss of coolant and overheating.easy fix in car as long as i dont have to do the rear head,not sure if i should take that chance.I'm thinking about pulling rear cover and checking all head bolts to see if any are pulled if not leave well enough alone,engine only has 60,000 miles.Looking for feedback from anyone with similar experience or knowledge. all help greatly appreciated, thanks. bought car this way can't wait to get it on the road heard these cars kick it.

Lawrence
02-29-04, 12:56 PM
I bought the kit from botboy, of course I don't have it yet. In fact I need to email him again and find out whats going on. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I will sell it to you when I am done with it. I'll only need it a day or two.

I wouldn't recommend turning those headbolts unless you have a problem there. There are made to be used only once and can't be reused or retorqed. You should either leave them alone or timesert them, your call.

metro107
02-29-04, 01:17 PM
I bought the kit from botboy, of course I don't have it yet. In fact I need to email him again and find out whats going on. Hopefully it will arrive soon. I will sell it to you when I am done with it. I'll only need it a day or two.

I wouldn't recommend turning those headbolts unless you have a problem there. There are made to be used only once and can't be reused or retorqed. You should either leave them alone or timesert them, your call.thanks for the advice lawrence,i think I'll take it and leave the rear alone, hopefully it will be OK.meanwhile still need to do front,definitly interested in your kit after your finished with it.you can e-mail me at metro107@msn.com with all the details.oh yeah just curious what was your N* experience which caused you to need timesert kit.thanks again lawrence,looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Lawrence
02-29-04, 01:29 PM
My problem was an oil leak at the rear head gasket. No coolant loss or any other problems. I pulled the motor from the top. You could search my user name for posts on it.

I'll let you know when i receive the kit and when I am done with it.

Good Luck

Lawrence
02-29-04, 02:33 PM
BTW, Anyone know how I can reach botboy. I PayPal'd him on the 15th. He said he would ship the following Monday or Tuesday, 16th or 17th. No package. I emailed on the 23rd. He said on the 24th he'd forgot to ship until the 23rd and he would email a tracking number when he got home. Haven't heard from him since, dispite another email request. No reply to email at botboy60@hotmail.com. If he had sent it on the 23rd, as he said, I should have had it this past week. I have this motor apart and just waiting for the kit. I'm getting a little worried, and upset.

Lawrence
02-29-04, 03:03 PM
Also if anyone has any info concering metro107's post please post, as we may both need one.

Lawrence
03-03-04, 08:09 PM
metro107.........received the kit from botboy today. I am waiting on the inserts. They should be here friday.

There's also 2 kits on ebay right now. One is priced way too high but the other is reasonable, and availible if you need it right away.

The reasonable one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43998&item=2464138509&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

The expensive one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33620&item=2464193413&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

metro107
03-04-04, 07:50 AM
metro107.........received the kit from botboy today. I am waiting on the inserts. They should be here friday.

There's also 2 kits on ebay right now. One is priced way too high but the other is reasonable, and availible if you need it right away.

The reasonable one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=43998&item=2464138509&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT

The expensive one;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33620&item=2464193413&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT good for you, botboy came through after all.I just checked out the two kits on e-bay,I'm thinking about bidding on the less expensive one would be great deal at 150.00-175.00 since it does include some of the inserts. thanks for the info lawrence and let me know how you make out. good luck,metro 107

dloch
03-04-04, 12:23 PM
First things first... New to the group, good forum.

This must be the timesert group here... Add me to the list of needing timesert tools.

Lawrence,

Did you do the lower half of your motor? If so did you timesert the mains as well? I was reading your posts about removing the engine from the top. Very good reading material by the way.. I will probably do it the same way when I get to that point. I'm going to try more barsleak gold to see if that might stop it short term.... Just replaced the upper and lower rad hoses and coolant and added 2 tubes of the barsleak.. still have a leak in front head at temp between ~100 - 140 though. See it when I stop at a light, must be hitting the exhaust. After the car gets up to temp it doesn't leak although I can still smell it from time to time. Seems to be worse when I really lay on it so I'm assuming that at max torque high cylinder pressure the front head is lifting....

Dennis

Lawrence
03-04-04, 01:54 PM
Did you do the lower half of your motor?

I was going to, but have pretty much determined mine had the case half seals factory sealed as it was a new service engine intalled 03/97. Apparently it was only the service engines that were sealed. As replacing the case half seal is rather intrusive (main bearings and all) I think I will leave it intact. I think I will still install new oil pan seals.

I was reading your posts about removing the engine from the top.

Yes, it was easier than I thought. I was able to leave the ABS,AC, and transaxle systems intact. In my case I didn't feel I had room in the garage to remove the cradle, which would also require disconnecting the AC and ABS (wiring).
Even if there is adequate room I think the determining factor is if you are doing the bottom end or not. If you are, well you have to pull the engine from the cradle anyway, so out the top is the only way to go. I really didn't spend much time under the car. Most everything disconnected from the top. The only part I required a helper was removing the hood.

If not doing any bottom work and pulling the cradle, I still think it is about equal. You don't have to disconnect the engine harness (which you still don't really need to out the top either if you are doing only the head gaskets) from the engine but you have to disconnect the AC, and recharge, disconnect the brackets and wiring from the ABS, disconnect the steering link.

The more I think about it, if I had it to do over, I would pull it out the top no matter the repair. Now, I understand the newer ones (98+) are much easier to pull the cradle. I couldn't say.

Are you leaking coolant or oil?

dloch
03-04-04, 02:26 PM
I'm leaking coolant to the best of my knowledge, I really need to look in the valley to see if I have oil in there although I do have what seems to be a small oil leak coming from some place up front. I thought it was coming from the oil filter adapter but could be wrong....

I am just a little uncomfortable about jackin my car 3 - 4 feet in the air to get the cradle out if I don't have too, so I will go at it from the top when it comes to that.

I would rather put the engine on an engine stand to work on it rather than leave attached to the trans and cradle. I hate moving around obstacles when I'm working on a motor.

Have you started the timesert thing yet? You sound like gearhead just like me, hate to take my cars to anyone... don't trust them to do as good a job as I would do. I considered buying another motor and going through that one and replacing the one in the car with it then fix and sell my oringinal.... still under consideration at this point. I will try the barsleak to see if the coolant leak stops. I need to make a run to cincinnati next week and I'll put it in before I go. If it stops the leak I will beat on it some to see if it comes back in which case I'll know wht I need to do next.

Dennis

BTW are you going to be selling yout timesert kit after you are through? Will the same kit work with the mains as well. I'm full of questions if you want to do this off the board send to dloch@sunsrce.com or dennisloch@provide.net.

Lawrence
03-04-04, 05:46 PM
I am just a little uncomfortable about jackin my car 3 - 4 feet in the air to get the cradle out if I don't have too, so I will go at it from the top when it comes to that.

I would rather put the engine on an engine stand to work on it rather than leave attached to the trans and cradle. I hate moving around obstacles when I'm working on a motor.

Yes. I felt the same way.

Have you started the timesert thing yet?

I will be doing it tomorrow.

You sound like gearhead just like me, hate to take my cars to anyone... don't trust them to do as good a job as I would do. .

Yes, that about sums it up. I suppose there are quite a few of us here on this site. I know growe3 expressed the same feeling.

I need to make a run to cincinnati next week and I'll put it in before I go. If it stops the leak I will beat on it some to see if it comes back in which case I'll know wht I need to do next.

I am in Columbus. Let me know if you'd like to come by and see the car. It would probably give you a lot of insight into the process. Let me know ahead of time to be sure the motor is still out.

BTW are you going to be selling yout timesert kit after you are through?

I haven't quite decide. It would be a good thing to have around. There is one on eBay right now (post above). I checked the part no. and it is the right one. I think maybe metro is bidding on it, not sure though. The seller had a BIN on it of $200 so the reserve is less likely than that. I will likely sell mine, just not sure yet. The only reason I waiver is that my son is thinking of buying one of these cars and I thought I should keep it on hand, in case. Not trying to be pessimistic about these motors, but I suppose I am a little jaded now.

Will the same kit work with the mains as well.

No, there is another kit for that. I am not really sure how problematic they are. I haven't heard of any problems here, but Time-Sert makes very few application specific kits and that is one of them.

I'm full of questions if you want to do this off the board send to dloch@sunsrce.com or dennisloch@provide.net.

Feel free to email any questions, lsidonis@columbus.rr.com I am a fan of the forums. Any questions posted here helps many others as well. And you benefit from the advice several people as well. bbobynski seems to know more of these cars than anyone, both here or any anywhere I have heard. Thats IMHO. But sure, If you need something fast feel free to email.

Just a suggestion. Before you tear into that make absolutely sure thats the problem. Hard proof. I made that mistake once, once. Had to say it!

Good Luck!

metro107
03-05-04, 11:14 AM
Yes. I felt the same way.

I will be doing it tomorrow.

Yes, that about sums it up. I suppose there are quite a few of us here on this site. I know growe3 expressed the same feeling.

I am in Columbus. Let me know if you'd like to come by and see the car. It would probably give you a lot of insight into the process. Let me know ahead of time to be sure the motor is still out.

I haven't quite decide. It would be a good thing to have around. There is one on eBay right now (post above). I checked the part no. and it is the right one. I think maybe metro is bidding on it, not sure though. The seller had a BIN on it of $200 so the reserve is less likely than that. I will likely sell mine, just not sure yet. The only reason I waiver is that my son is thinking of buying one of these cars and I thought I should keep it on hand, in case. Not trying to be pessimistic about these motors, but I suppose I am a little jaded now.

No, there is another kit for that. I am not really sure how problematic they are. I haven't heard of any problems here, but Time-Sert makes very few application specific kits and that is one of them.

Feel free to email any questions, lsidonis@columbus.rr.com I am a fan of the forums. Any questions posted here helps many others as well. And you benefit from the advice several people as well. bbobynski seems to know more of these cars than anyone, both here or any anywhere I have heard. Thats IMHO. But sure, If you need something fast feel free to email.

Just a suggestion. Before you tear into that make absolutely sure thats the problem. Hard proof. I made that mistake once, once. Had to say it!

Good Luck! Hi Lawrence,Just a quik question for you.While i have the engine this far apart doing the front head gasket i could'nt resist pulling the rear cover and checking head bolt tension all where tight up to 90 ft lbs.didnt want to push my luck,what do you think would you change them remember until now engine remains in car.doing rears forces engine removal.

Lawrence
03-05-04, 01:19 PM
Thats a tough call. If you already have it apart far enough to get the front head off (timing chains off) I might try to do both. bbobynski says it can be done in the car with an angle drill and tilting the motor forward. As you know, I pulled the engine.

If you got them up to 90 ft lbs. without them moving I would say they are good. The question is for how long. And the question remains, what to do.

All I can really say is that it is your call. You know whats involved now, and what you'll have to do again if the other one fails.

Good Luck!

dloch
03-05-04, 02:37 PM
metro107,

While i have the engine this far apart doing the front head gasket i could'nt resist pulling the rear cover and checking head bolt tension all where tight up to 90 ft lbs.didnt want to push my luck,what do you think would you change them remember until now engine remains in car.doing rears forces engine removal.03-04-04 04:46 PM
If the motor is out of the car I wouldn't consider not doing the other head, if it were me.

metro107
03-05-04, 06:13 PM
Thats a tough call. If you already have it apart far enough to get the front head off (timing chains off) I might try to do both. bbobynski says it can be done in the car with an angle drill and tilting the motor forward. As you know, I pulled the engine.

If you got them up to 90 ft lbs. without them moving I would say they are good. The question is for how long. And the question remains, what to do.

All I can really say is that it is your call. You know whats involved now, and what you'll have to do again if the other one fails.

Good Luck!hey lawrence,here's some information you may be intersested in.Today i spoke with a local cadillac dealership on some northstar issues and one of the things we discussed was head bolt torque values which have been revised by manufacturer from the original spec,[22ft lbs>90 degrees>90 degrees]to[30 ft lbs>70 degrees>60 degrees>60 degrees]tomorrow i will be making some more calls to confirm this.what do you know about this.

BeelzeBob
03-05-04, 06:19 PM
hey lawrence,here's some information you may be intersested in.Today i spoke with a local cadillac dealership on some northstar issues and one of the things we discussed was head bolt torque values which have been revised by manufacturer from the original spec,[22ft lbs>90 degrees>90 degrees]to[30 ft lbs>70 degrees>60 degrees>60 degrees]tomorrow i will be making some more calls to confirm this.what do you know about this.

Don't get too caught up in this change nor make too much of it. They are still very close in the ultimate tensioning of the head bolts and either procedure will work fine.... It is more a fine tuning of the service procedure rather than a dramatic change...

metro107
03-05-04, 08:39 PM
Don't get too caught up in this change nor make too much of it. They are still very close in the ultimate tensioning of the head bolts and either procedure will work fine.... It is more a fine tuning of the service procedure rather than a dramatic change...Yeh,Thats kinda what i thought, the extra 8 ft lbs of torque and 10 degrees of rotation on the wrench really does'nt amount to much. But i just wanted a second opinion to be sure.Thanks lawrence and again good luck with yours. You should ready to turn the key soon.AHHHHHH!

Lawrence
03-06-04, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, that Time-Sert kit on eBay is ending in less than eight hours and he has lowered the BIN to $150. Somebody jump on that darn thing.

metro107......yeah I feel youre pain, trying to do that in the car. It will be messy. Just make sure you tape up the motor real good. I wiped down the gasket sealing sealing surfaces with laquer thinner then duct taped everything closed. Then just opened up the head bolt holes and took it outside for the drilling and tapping. It makes a lot of shavings. In the car you'll have a lot more to seal up, lines and so forth.

One thing I didn't really consider was how messy cleaning the cutting oil from the holes would be. You spray brake fluid into them then blow them out with air. If you do it in the car you'll have to cover the car really well so you don't damage the paint. If you can it really would be easier to pull the engine.

Do you have the front head off yet? What did you decide to do with the rear head?

metro107
03-06-04, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, that Time-Sert kit on eBay is ending in less than eight hours and he has lowered the BIN to $150. Somebody jump on that darn thing.

metro107......yeah I feel youre pain, trying to do that in the car. It will be messy. Just make sure you tape up the motor real good. I wiped down the gasket sealing sealing surfaces with laquer thinner then duct taped everything closed. Then just opened up the head bolt holes and took it outside for the drilling and tapping. It makes a lot of shavings. In the car you'll have a lot more to seal up, lines and so forth.

One thing I didn't really consider was how messy cleaning the cutting oil from the holes would be. You spray brake fluid into them then blow them out with air. If you do it in the car you'll have to cover the car really well so you don't damage the paint. If you can it really would be easier to pull the engine.

Do you have the front head off yet? What did you decide to do with the rear head?Have'nt removed front head yet gotta borrow a 3 jaw puller from my neighbor to get balancer off so i can get to those chain tensioners then off she comes.Probably going to take my chances with rear head ????????? hopefully it'll be OK. Like i said head bolts are tight compression is good around 140psi performed leak down and cooling system pressurization tests also good.Thats all i can do to be sure, lets just hope it lasts.As for the timesert kit,going for the one on e-bay for 150.00.:hmm:

dloch
03-08-04, 11:47 AM
metro107, looks like you won yourself a timesert kit....

Now I need to find one myself.

Lawernce,

You are the king of duct tape application. I believe you have it sealed.

Lawrence
03-08-04, 12:16 PM
metro107, looks like you won yourself a timesert kit....

Now I need to find one myself.

Lawernce,

You are the king of duct tape application. I believe you have it sealed.

Snug as a bug in a rug! :)

And the NorthStar liked it too! :bouncy:

zonie77
03-08-04, 09:01 PM
When you do the timeserts get a shop vac and use that to clean the holes. Tape a piece of tubing (thinwall, maybe 5/16-3/8) into a crevice tool and use that to clear out the holes. It worked really well. If you get someone to help you can do it with barely any chips escaping.

http://cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5052

brad3378
03-08-04, 11:59 PM
Has anybody tried buying these Timesert kits locally (autozone maybe?)

What do they cost brand new?

$300 on eBay sounds like a lot of money for a kit with only 2 inserts.
Where can extra inserts be purchased?

Thanks guys! - Awesome Forum!

zonie77
03-09-04, 12:45 AM
timesert.com

the kit is just a little over $300 delivered...

I couldn't find one cheaper locally.

brad3378
03-09-04, 10:28 AM
That last guy on eBay must have been crazy.
He used up 8 of the inserts and wanted just as much as a brand new kit!
The bidding closed last night at $295 - nobody bid.

No Thanks - I'd rather buy from timecert.com directly than to risk another potential eBay hassle.

By the way - I called 1-800-GMParts asking about the Kent-Moore timecert kit they use in the dealership. The part number is J-42385-500 for the kit and -507 for a ten-pack of extra inserts. The kit cost over $600.00!!!!
I think the exact amount was like $637 but my brain quit working when I heard that first digit.

dloch
03-09-04, 10:51 AM
That last guy on eBay must have been crazy.
He used up 8 of the inserts and wanted just as much as a brand new kit!
The bidding closed last night at $295 - nobody bid.

No Thanks - I'd rather buy from timecert.com directly than to risk another potential eBay hassle.

By the way - I called 1-800-GMParts asking about the Kent-Moore timecert kit they use in the dealership. The part number is J-42385-500 for the kit and -507 for a ten-pack of extra inserts. The kit cost over $600.00!!!!
I think the exact amount was like $637 but my brain quit working when I heard that first digit.
We ought to see if we get a quantity discount...... :rolleyes2 ... right.

wils1365
04-05-04, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone, new to the forum.

Great info.

Just finished time serting my 94' northstar with the big-sert kit. Anyone needing a kit. this one is available. Part# J-42385-500BS purchased from Time-sert @336.00. Big-sert inserts where 3.68 each. Had to use Big-sert because some other mechanic used heli-coils on every hole! But kit will work on first time jobs with sturdier inserts than the regular Time-serts.

Kit has no inserts because I did all 20 holes which I recommed on all second time around jobs. Extra's are available from time sert.

Asking 225.00 OBO for kit.
You can reply off-post

wils1365@adelphia.net