: Sport mode Light

Foust
11-01-06, 01:34 PM
I recently purchased a 99 Catera, and found this forum. Wealth of information.

To my question. I have noticed that sometimes when I press the sport mode button the indicator on the dash does not light up. Its my wifes car so I haven't had a lot of time to investigate the problem.

Is this something common or something I should be concerned about? Is it something I am doing incorrectly? (I thought pushing a button was straight forward enough)

I would appreciate any help or advice I could get.

Resilient
11-01-06, 02:53 PM
But when the sport mode light doesn't come on... are you still in 'sport mode'?

(Sport Mode: locks the transmission to rev each gear to redline before shifting.... my simple explanation people so no gigling)

Foust
11-01-06, 02:55 PM
Ill try to test that out tonight. In sport mode the trans should not shift before redline in every gear, is that correct?

todd2fst4u
11-01-06, 06:31 PM
push the pedal about 1/2 way down from a stand still and see if it redlines. if it does, you are in sport.

Foust
11-01-06, 07:56 PM
Ok, went out and tested at 1/2 throttle, from a dead stop before I pressed the sport button. The car shifted before red line.

Stopped and pressed the sport button, no light on the dash. From stop at 1/2 throttle the car shifted before red line.

Im thinking that the button might be bad? How would I go about removing the shifter to check it?

Warez
11-01-06, 11:40 PM
Sport mode does this:

1) under wide open throttle it will shift at 6500 rather than 6000

2) the transmission will hold lower gears

3) shifts will be firmer

An easy way to tell is it's activated is if you're at highway speeds and the car remains in 3rd (watch the RPM's) while crusing. Eventually it will shift into 4th.

Warez
11-01-06, 11:42 PM
Ok, went out and tested at 1/2 throttle, from a dead stop before I pressed the sport button. The car shifted before red line.

Stopped and pressed the sport button, no light on the dash. From stop at 1/2 throttle the car shifted before red line.

Im thinking that the button might be bad? How would I go about removing the shifter to check it?

When the gearshift is in park, does the light come on when pushed?

Resilient
11-02-06, 04:40 PM
Yes.

Foust
11-02-06, 04:58 PM
During the experimenting, no. I have had it come on other times.

Warez
11-02-06, 05:56 PM
So is sport mode or the light not wroking?

Foust
11-03-06, 08:17 AM
So is sport mode or the light not wroking?

Neither actually. However the problem is sporadic. Sometimes when I hit the sport button the light comes on and the shifts are firmer. (and therefor more fun :-) ) Recently hitting the button has no effect on the light or the shifting. (Not as fun)

Im still leaning toward the physical switch in the gear selector. Any other ideas?

investor74
11-03-06, 09:10 AM
I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a hack to make the sport mode the default (a jumper wire, ground something out, etc). I often forget to turn it on until I realize I am not having as much fun with my Catera as I can.

I think Caddy originally made the economy mode the default because of the CAFE standards.

Barry

Foust
11-06-06, 09:41 AM
I got to spend a lot more time in the car this weekend, so I was able to do more...rigorous...testing.

It would appear that at WOT without pressing the sport button I shift at 6k. With a press of the button (regardless of the sport indicator light) at WOT the car shifts at 6.5k.

So I think that its just the light that is sporadic. Has anyone else had this problem?