: Improving bass in 2001 Eldorado Touring Coupe...

rlbutler
11-01-06, 02:18 AM
I've just come into ownership of a 2001 Eldorado Touring Coupe which I love.

It has a Bose sound system, with great mids and highs, but I've really never experienced less bass - even in a rental car. I've found a "drivers seat" mode which helped enough that I no longer things something's unplugged, but I'd like to improve things. I'm not talking about booming through neighborhoods with rap, but just some nice response to the lows in some jazz music.

- I've read the manuals, but have I missed something obvious, and should this car have great bass?

- If not, has anyone here had experience with adding a sub-woofer box with an amp in the trunk or can something be done in the stock speaker housings?

Thank you much!
Roy

CadillacSTS42005
11-01-06, 05:56 AM
no highs
no lows
must be bose!
lol
best thing you can do to get that added base is get a low level adapter to branch on your rear 6x9s giving you rca outputs and get the infinity all in one sub and amp basslink
would deff help out without taking up the space of a true sub system

the727kid
11-01-06, 09:22 AM
Mid-bass speakers + jazz = sweetness.

rlbutler
11-01-06, 09:22 PM
The Infinity BaseLink looks nice. Just about what I was looking for - not monster sound, just something to add to what's been lacking. I think I'll order one.

I read a review that said it sounded different depending on where you aim it (of course). Have you had any experience with it in a trunk and would you aim it forward, up, or back? A long time ago, I had another subwoofer unit in the trunk of another car and found I liked the sound best when it was aimed back.

Thanks,
Roy

the727kid
11-01-06, 10:16 PM
Aim it towards the trunk will be your loudest option.

rlbutler
11-02-06, 01:10 AM
Is that "up" or "back"?

Thanks,
Roy

CadillacSTS42005
11-02-06, 11:53 AM
the only one ive ever seen installed on an eldorado was on the side on drivers side, with the sub facing the opposite side
F
|S |
R
F=front
R=rear
|=sides of trunk
S= sub

sorry for the cude drawing but i hope it helps

the727kid
11-02-06, 12:10 PM
Face it back towards the trunk, idealy you want the sound to bounce off the back of the trunk and into the cabin.

rlbutler
11-07-06, 01:37 AM
I ended up getting it and have it installed against the rear seats, facing back towards the trunk. The sound is pretty nice now, more like one of the better cars I've heard, rather than the worst rental car. :)

I'm still playing with the gain, cross-over frequency, and bass-boost. I think I've found the phase sounds better at 180 (is it degrees?), rather than 0. Maybe because the sound is bouncing back. At 0, some of the sound seemed to "disappear" or cancel out when I turned it up.

Anyway, thanks for the advice! It's pretty much just what I was looking for.

Roy

the727kid
11-07-06, 11:35 AM
How many watts are running to the sub and how many ohms? (that'll tell me what to put ur gaisn at)

Your cross-over should be at 80hz and your bass boost at 0.

rlbutler
11-07-06, 06:49 PM
It's tied into the rear speakers of my stock Bose unit, which I'm guessing is under 30W and has a non-standard resistance (from what I've heard). The unit's amp itself is 200W.

I have the cross-over at right around 80hz (85hz is the midway-point on the dial) and it sounds good.

The midway-point for the bass boost dial is around -1.5dB, I think (it's from -6dB to +3dB). I'll try moving it up to 0. I know when I have both this and the gain up high, it ends up hurting my ears (although it's not all that much louder - must be the lows).

CadillacSTS42005
11-07-06, 07:01 PM
umm
the bose system is rated at 400 watts in the eldo
4 100 watt mini amps power each speaker
def not 30 watts

the727kid
11-07-06, 09:49 PM
Get at a DMM, set it to AC voltage and put the postive on the postive speaker wire and negative on the negative and adjust the gain till the DMM says about 28.3 (thats if it is at 2 ohms)

rlbutler
11-08-06, 02:31 AM
My bad on the wattage.

I've tuned the cross-over down from mid-point to about 80Hz and the bass boost up from mid-point to 0dB. I don't have a multimeter, but I then took the gain from nothing up until I thought it sounded just good enough (about mid-point). I got more bass going beyond that, but it was not quite as clear and was a little too much compared to the highs and mids I was getting out of the interior speakers.

Overall, I'm really pretty happy with it. Whenever I'm not sure if it's enough, I just turn it off for a second. :) It's a real difference for anyone not trying to thump the neighborhood...

Roy