: Pls help! How much $ should it cost to repair.....

joedeville91
02-28-04, 07:52 PM
A Cam Sensor Signal Problem (code E41), and a High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC (code E98)???? I have a Sedan DeVille 1991 4.9

Before I go to a garage (Northern Virginia/DC), I'd like to get some ballpark idea about the price, so I don't get 'squeezed'.

Also, are these two issues something I must fix ASAP, or can I wait a few weeks?

Thanks!!!

joedeville91

Roswell256
03-01-04, 09:08 AM
I don't know about your codes, but I'm in Quantico and if you find a good Caddy place around N Virginia/DC area let me know. I'll research your code and see what I can find. Got a few friends from back home that work at a Caddy dealer. :bouncy:

-Roswell-

BeelzeBob
03-01-04, 03:08 PM
A Cam Sensor Signal Problem (code E41), and a High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC (code E98)???? I have a Sedan DeVille 1991 4.9

Before I go to a garage (Northern Virginia/DC), I'd like to get some ballpark idea about the price, so I don't get 'squeezed'.

Also, are these two issues something I must fix ASAP, or can I wait a few weeks?

Thanks!!!

joedeville91
This is a wild guess but I would suspect that the cam position sensor would cost $100-200 to repair including parts. The cam position sensor is in the base of the distributor on your engine. If you look carefully at the distributor.....look at the distributor shaft below the cap. That square bulge in the distributor shaft with the black cover and wires coming from it is the cam position sensor. It is fairly simple to R&R yourself. Get the part from a Cad dealer and try it. If you can't get it off and on, then just take the part to your mechanic. It will save him chasing the part down which takes time and $$$$.

BeelzeBob
03-01-04, 03:10 PM
BTW....the other ISC code is likely caused by the backup operation of the ECM with the failed cam position sensor. I wouldn't worry about it until the cam position sensor is replaced. I suspect the other code will not return. The cam position sensor needs to be replaced soon....but it is not an emergency. The engine will operate in a degraded performance mode as a "limp home" until you get if fixed but it will not strand you or hurt anything else.

Chzyrider
08-25-13, 12:19 AM
A Cam Sensor Signal Problem (code E41), and a High RPM P/N to D/R Shift Under ISC (code E98)????
joedeville91

I know this is an old thread. But I just encountered the same combination of codes with our '90 Deville 4.5L. Codes: E12, E41, E98.
The idle had been previously and improperly messed with, and the trottle plates were gummed up and sticky. The ISC was doing the clickity-click thing searching for a position when turning the ign key to ON. I suspected the worse in a bad cam sensor or distributor. But after merely cleaning the throttle plates, the diagnostic readout for throttle position changed from .9 degrees to -2 degrees. The idle went from about 850-900 to about 600 in that little bit of movement, and no more clicking sounds from the ISC.

I hope mentioning this helps anyone else that may be suspecting a bad part... check the throttle body for dirty valve plates first.

I'll be following thru with the TPS test, ISC adjustment and Idle Learn process, but (I posted this question in another specific new thread) I need to know which end of the green connector (next to the alternator) to ground. The instructions I found do not specify that.