: So I bought a Buick

davesdeville
10-31-06, 09:47 AM
And here it is:
http://i3.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/be/df/46_1.JPG
http://i13.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/b1/c7/6c_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220039596228

It's a 2900lb 1973 Buick Apollo, with an 8pt roll bar (should certify to 11.00s,) TH350, 5pt harness and racing seat, traction bars, subframe connectors, and slicks already installed.

Oh and of course, it's powered by a big block Cadillac motor, but the guy ran 12.5:1 compression on probably Felpro headgaskets so it blew one. And thus the car comes "Some Assembly Required." I'm thinking reassemble it with Corteccos at 12.5:1 and rebuild my 770 Holley to run E85 (85% ethanol, 105 octane.) I've got a couple Quadrajets I wouldn't mind using, if I knew how to get one to play nice with E85. Any ideas?

I figure with the cam, headers, and a ported iron intake, I can put down 350 to the wheels, which should do a real low 13 even at this altitude. Then throw a 250 shot on it and hopefully put in a real high 10. And when I get some real money I'll make it real fast...

Sorry for the long post I'm just a bit excited. I was going to do a 500 powered Fox body, but heck this weighs less, is emissions exempt, already has the motor in it, and is cheap as hell. So I'm real excited. :highfive:

EcSTSatic
10-31-06, 10:08 AM
I was going to do a 500 powered Fox body, but heck this weighs less, is emissions exempt, already has the motor in it, and is cheap as hell. So I'm real excited. :highfive:

Sounds like fun! Are you going to make it street legal? Why not just play with it on the track, it would be cheaper. :thumbsup:

Slywun
10-31-06, 10:15 AM
Not sure if everyone is aware but GM used the platform for all of their divisions and named them accordingly:
Nova
Omega
Venture
Apollo

Congrat's on the car look like major fun....

HITMONEY
10-31-06, 11:11 AM
You sir.... are one brave individual.

powerglide
10-31-06, 11:19 AM
Brave man!
Post pics when you get it spruced up.

Elvis
10-31-06, 12:13 PM
I had forgotten about the Apollo. I remember the style well, mostly as an Omega and of course a Nova. But if you had asked me to name the Venture and the Apollo I couldn't do it.

Have fun!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-06, 12:24 PM
Actually for awhile it was

Nova
Omega
Venture
Apollo
Seville

90Brougham350
10-31-06, 01:58 PM
Sweet-lookin' ride dude! Have you been over to Buickstreet.com yet?

gdwriter
10-31-06, 03:32 PM
Reminds me of the old advertising slogan: Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

For Dave, the answer is yes.

Benzilla
10-31-06, 04:10 PM
lol, when I saw the pics I thought "it better be fast as hell" good to know it will be.. It'll need to with those looks :D

good find :)

gary88
10-31-06, 05:01 PM
Looks like a great project :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-06, 06:48 PM
Sometimes I would rather have a Buick, like this time!

TomDeville
10-31-06, 10:54 PM
Dear Dave:

Congrats on the Buick acquisition.

Indeed; you are a brave soul.
Moreover, I truly envy your technical
knowledge coupled with veritable 'do
it yourself' abilities.

Good luck with the new project!:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, that Ride will be a
hit with us Manly Men; but, it ain't
going to get you any poontang:cat: :wifeyapping:

In any event, kindly keep us apprised of
your progress.

Best Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:

:cool2:

davesdeville
11-01-06, 04:58 AM
Looks like I will be making a trip to KS next week or so. Anyone live around there? I'm stopping by and meeting up with 2 guys from the Cadilacpower (sp.) forum.

How about if I get it to run 13s on motor at 5300' track altitude you guys give me some points? :p

I dunno if I'm gonna try making it look nice or not. I might try the Rustoleum + foam roller method of painting it. The rat rod look kind of appeals to me, but I like my cars to look at least fairly nice. I might try my hand at making a fiberglass front bumper for it, but I've never worked with fiberglass before.

I checked out that buickstreet site, they'll probably be pissed there's a Caddy motor in it :D

Sounds like fun! Are you going to make it street legal? Why not just play with it on the track, it would be cheaper. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've been thinking about that. I don't know if I'll bother with making it street legal. I already have 3 cars to register and insure, so this will probably be just a track toy. I might race a few of the local street racers, but hell that's already illegal so...

Reminds me of the old advertising slogan: Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?

For Dave, the answer is yes.

Hey if I could make a Cadillac weigh 2900lbs I'd have (another) one of them instead :highfive:

lol, when I saw the pics I thought "it better be fast as hell" good to know it will be.. It'll need to with those looks :D

good find :)

The 8 point roll bar should've given it away :p

Lord Cadillac
11-01-06, 08:27 AM
Buick Street?! :alchi: Buick Forums (http://www.buickforums.com)! ;)

dp102288
11-01-06, 08:48 AM
Have fun with it man. Looks good! Keep us posted with pics!

RobertCTS
11-01-06, 01:44 PM
I bought a new supercharged black Buick Riviera. Loved it and was pissed off when they pulled the plug on it. Just like they did on the Eldorado that I bought in 2001. I think Buick will go the way of the Oldsmobile. It's a rather boring line up now.

davesdeville
11-02-06, 03:40 AM
I disagree. I think Buick has a place in GM as the Acura/Lexus (the rather boring luxury car) fighter. While Cadillac continues to compete with MB/BMW/Audi/Infiniti, the drivers luxury car.

Destroyer
11-02-06, 09:24 AM
Thats a pretty cool and different project car you have there. I would NOT recommend a 250hp shot of nitrous though, not with the existing setup. 10 seconds till you here a big KABOOOM!!!!. Good luck with it!.:thumbsup:

dp102288
11-02-06, 10:05 AM
Maybe its me, but I don't think Buick competes with Acura or Lexus. Maybe the low end models compete with each other, but not the entire line-up.

davesdeville
11-02-06, 09:07 PM
Thats a pretty cool and different project car you have there. I would NOT recommend a 250hp shot of nitrous though, not with the existing setup. 10 seconds till you here a big KABOOOM!!!!. Good luck with it!.:thumbsup:

The only thing I'm worried about going kaboom is the 10 bolt... but then again kwikcad500 is running a ten bolt in a 10.3 second 3800lb car. The TH350 will be replaced with a TH400. The stock bottom end of the motor will take it, especially at altitude with tuning on a wideband.