: Might Be Pulling The Trigger....

HITMONEY
10-30-06, 10:19 PM
On a CPO 2002 BMW M5 (E39) with 22k miles.

Of course, it is black on black with NAV and sunroof.

I have always wanted an M series and I found one today at my local BMW dealer and I worked a pretty good deal. I told them I would let them know first thing in the morning.

I was looking at STS-V's but they seem not to be holding there value as well as the M series BMW's. Plus, the way you are treated at the Bimmer dealer compared to the Caddy dealer is night and day.

So... whatchya guys think?

I have never owned a BMW before... anyone have any experience with a M5 or other M series?

(BTW, I think I will be keeping my DTS)

DILLIGAF
10-30-06, 10:22 PM
Nice but not for me.I love seeing beemers on the road,especially the headlights in the rearview.

SpeedyArizona
10-30-06, 10:26 PM
I had problems with my 3 Series but I'm not going to classify all BMW's as being complete and utter junk. The M5's are supposedly reliable but I don't have any info to back that up.

I say go for it:thumbsup:.

Rolex
10-30-06, 10:30 PM
Pics man....PICS! Sounds schweet.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 10:33 PM
Sweet! The last gen M5 is one of the best driving BMW's according to the press! Good luck!

codewize
10-30-06, 10:41 PM
I love the M's they're very cool. Never owned one but I would seriously consider it.

HITMONEY
10-30-06, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I been sitting here doing research for the past 4 hours trying to decide.

I have barely been able to find anything negative about the car. It is quite fast too 13.08 1/4 @ 105, thats faster than the STS-V but pretty close. CTS-V for me is a little small as is the BMW M3 therefore not even being considered.

The thing is, I could go for the STS-V but I just don't think it will hold its value like the M5 did.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 10:46 PM
I doubt that the STS-V will hold it's value like the M5 does. And for what it's worth, I think the E39 M5 is the better looking car, now for the current M5, not so much. :D

thebigjimsho
10-30-06, 11:08 PM
The CTS-V is too small? Then you better try out the '02 M5 very carefully. Those 5 series were quite small in back. I met up with JEM in San Fran a couple years back and got to drive his M5. I loved it, but I didn't find the room any better than the CTS-V. The new 5 series is a different story.

I've always and still am a big BMW fan. I jumped on the CTS-V because how closely it resembled the M5 in performance. And I've been a HUGE M fan since the first M5.

I totally understand wanting an M5. I can understand the customer support issue. As for performance, the V is a tiny bit better but has a much better aftermarket with huge potential. And make sure the fit and size is right for you.

HITMONEY
10-30-06, 11:10 PM
Damn, after hours of searching and reading about this car... you would think it was hand crafted by the Lord himself. LOL

Seriously... there is nothing bad written about this car.

EDIT: Big Jim, I meant the size of the car itself... I couldn't care less about how roomy the back seat is. LOL

gary88
10-30-06, 11:17 PM
I've always liked the E39 5-series, especially the 540i and M5. If you really like it, then go for it :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 11:32 PM
I've always liked the E39 5-series, especially the 540i and M5. If you really like it, then go for it :thumbsup:

An E39 (especially the 530i) was one of the cars I was considering buying a while back, but the prices and insurance are outrageous, plus, if I was gonna go German, I'd have to do the W140!

Florian
10-30-06, 11:34 PM
The M5 is a tough call...Id buy one if I had my druthers....but CPO...not sure. Dont know who flogged it, whats been done to repair it, etc. Also, repairs are, well, pricey. It is a stellar vehicle, but you gotta pay to play.

F

caddycruiser
10-31-06, 12:16 AM
Damn, after hours of searching and reading about this car... you would think it was hand crafted by the Lord himself. LOL

Seriously... there is nothing bad written about this car.

EDIT: Big Jim, I meant the size of the car itself... I couldn't care less about how roomy the back seat is. LOL

Haha, yeah, pretty much. Any car can be a dud, but there's something about those M5's that people still like them more than even the new redesigned ones. They had essentially perfect suspension tuning and killer power combined with a classy look and awesome build quality. It is a BMW afterall:thumbsup:

I say go for it, definately. The STS-V is a great car, but will not hold value like the BMW, and would still be considerably more expensive than what I assume you could get that car for. And being at a BMW dealer, it's more likely than not had the full service arsenal and all that goes with that.

Research too much and you'll start to worry yourself, but sometimes you just have to go with your gut. And an M5 is definately a "gut purchase". Hell, I wish I had one myself...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-06, 12:23 AM
Oooh and if you buy it, BMW makes an "M5" hat. It's all black with red lettering, it's a flexfit (yay!) and it's gonna run you $20. It's a sweet hat, I bought one last summer!

www.bmw-online.com

HITMONEY
10-31-06, 01:41 AM
I just had my friend who has a dealer license pull a MMR report (basicly searches all the auctions from coast to coast) on the 2002 M5 and I found my same exact car on the report. It was bought at auction after lease turn in for $35,200.00. So I guess they are trying to make 5k on the car. In 2002 the M5 was about 65k.

While I had my friend on the phone I had him run a report on 2006 STS-V's... They are being sold at auction between 43k and 50k!! New they run 77k. that is a whole lot of depreciation in a matter of months.

Whats worse.. I had him run XLR-V's... Anywhere from 48k to 64k.. That car is 100k in the show room!!!!! Holy shit! i would kill someone if i lost 40k on a car in 6mos.

RobertCTS
10-31-06, 06:04 AM
The BMW is a fine automobile but I promised myself to never buy an import. Kinda silly in a way 'cause my CTS has a French transmission and a German differential and parts from Taiwan. Cars are international now but I like the idea of sticking to the american name plates like Cadillac.

caddycruiser
10-31-06, 08:00 AM
While I had my friend on the phone I had him run a report on 2006 STS-V's... They are being sold at auction between 43k and 50k!! New they run 77k. that is a whole lot of depreciation in a matter of months.

Whats worse.. I had him run XLR-V's... Anywhere from 48k to 64k.. That car is 100k in the show room!!!!! Holy shit! i would kill someone if i lost 40k on a car in 6mos.

Yeah, funny you mention that. Cars that are expensive new do depreciate the most with age, but I was just looking around a few days ago and saw a LOT of '04 XLR's that were for sale right at the $40k mark. I know that's a 3 year depreciation, but $38k (or a little less with them selling new at a small discount), that still seemed pretty big. And the STS-V looks to be going down the same route.

These residuals of these and most other new Cadillacs have improved dramatically since even just a couple of years ago, but they still aren't at the levels of a BMW or MB, a lot of which is probably due to them just being domestic.

The BMW is such an awesome car, I probably wouldn't even bother caring about the depreciation, but as is, it's just more icing on the cake. You already noticed the immediate difference in atmosphere at the dealer, so the list just gets bigger:thumbsup:

dp102288
10-31-06, 10:47 AM
Go for it. I like that shape a lot, and a diverse car lineup is always a good thing. Nothing wrong with being brand loyal, but trying new things can really be refreshing.

But like someone else said, watch the repair costs.

If XLR-Vs are cheap at auctions, why don't you just get one of those?

Wiseguy2
10-31-06, 11:41 AM
$35k sounds about right wholesale. CPOing costs $1500 or so. The CPO process another grand at least.

AWESOME Cars, I have had 3 of them (Although I now have an 88.. overall still my favorite). www.m5board.com is a great resource for them.

Watch the clutches, the stock clutch simply has a hell of a time handling the power, if you want to beat on it, you need the UUC Stage 2 Clutch and Flywheel, period.

A low-mile one that's CPO'd is a safe bet usually.

HITMONEY
10-31-06, 11:52 AM
$35k sounds about right wholesale. CPOing costs $1500 or so. The CPO process another grand at least.

AWESOME Cars, I have had 3 of them (Although I now have an 88.. overall still my favorite). www.m5board.com (http://www.m5board.com) is a great resource for them.

Watch the clutches, the stock clutch simply has a hell of a time handling the power, if you want to beat on it, you need the UUC Stage 2 Clutch and Flywheel, period.

A low-mile one that's CPO'd is a safe bet usually.

I have been all over www.m5board.com for about 6 hours last night.

The one thing I am not big on is that just about all the aftermarket wheels look the same, and god forbid if you do something different and post it on m5board.. lol they crucify you if your wheel weighs more than 19lbs and is larger than 18inch.

I have read about the clutch and the crappy cup holders... only two things I can find negative about the car and its not like the clutch is really defective, just that the pressure plate might be a little weak for 400hp.

Well we will see, I am going to the dealer at about 2pm... they have been calling me all morning saying they have other buyers looking at it so I should hurry. I told them to sell it to them, if its still there at 2pm, and the numbers are right I'll probably take it.

powerglide
10-31-06, 12:28 PM
Definitely.
I was just watching a video of my old black on black(Suede) 2001 5 Series with the limited edition M-Sport package (that wasn't exported to US) and I miss it SO much. Of all the cars I have ever owned nothing has given me the same feeling.
As far as M5 vs STS...I don't wanna start anything here but I don't think they are comparable cars...
Good luck!

HITMONEY
10-31-06, 12:39 PM
You guys arent helping much. LOL

It seems like a truely awesome car, and I do want it... but I am having the hardest time justifying 40k on a 2002 car albeit 22k miles.

Gah... I hate buying cars, I over analyze it.

Elvis
10-31-06, 01:44 PM
Not sure I'd trade that hot DTS for a BMW.

Otherwise I think that BMW is a great car. If you want it, get it. I don't think you'll have any regrets. It will hold its value better than the remaining life of the DTS.

HITMONEY
10-31-06, 01:51 PM
I am trying to pull this deal off and keep my PAID FOR DTS. The Bimmer dealer offered me 10k on trade... I ROFLMAO!

Whelp, time to go and see what kinda numbers they got for it. I am bringing my laptop with my own ammoritaztion worksheet to see if they are playing with the payment.

Wiseguy2
10-31-06, 01:55 PM
Well it's $40,000 for a car that was $83k+ new...

caddycruiser
10-31-06, 03:16 PM
The one thing I am not big on is that just about all the aftermarket wheels look the same, and god forbid if you do something different and post it on m5board.. lol they crucify you if your wheel weighs more than 19lbs and is larger than 18inch.

Well, there's a BIG reason for that. These cars aren't meant to be cruisers (even though they do it very well), so things like the weight and size of the wheels were chosen VERY carefully. That's mainly why you never see many that have been changed from stock.

If you want to go slapping on larger and heavier wheels and throw off the sublime ride & handling, the Caddy you have is probably more fitting of that, but I'd never in my like do that to an M5. If done carefully, and you can find something different that very closely matches the OEM specs, that'd be great...but otherwise, it just hampers the true meaning of the car too much.

That said, I hope it all works out, and you do get it...may even like it so much, the Caddy will start sitting out on the game a lot more:thumbsup:

HushH
10-31-06, 03:49 PM
Well it's $40,000 for a car that was $83k+ new...

More like upper $60s to $70k for the previous gen. Still a very good deal for that mileage.

powerglide
10-31-06, 06:08 PM
I hear you on the $$ issue…..its defintely not an investment.
My current $40K lust mobile is the AMG CL55.
You can pick up a 2001-2002 for that money, the supercharged 2003 is bit more but 500 hp!!

(Sticker new was like $125K talk about a bargain!)

danbuc
10-31-06, 06:36 PM
I hear you on the $$ issue…..its defintely not an investment.
My current $40K lust mobile is the AMG CL55.
You can pick up a 2001-2002 for that money, the supercharged 2003 is bit more but 500 hp!!

(Sticker new was like $125K talk about a bargain!)

There's a reason that CL has dropped nearly $100K. A) They're not very reliable, and B) they're outrageously expensive to maintain.....just like any AMG mercedes for that matter.

powerglide
10-31-06, 07:10 PM
There's a reason that CL has dropped nearly $100K. A) They're not very reliable, and B) they're outrageously expensive to maintain.....just like any AMG mercedes for that matter.

I thought so too.....esepcially considering the way MB quality has hit rock bottom. (and ofcourse its expensive to maintain, so is the Bimmer)

What surprised me was the very high ratings the CL got from owners:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Mercedes-Benz&model=CL-Class#used

Compare that to the E-class owners who seem to be more digruntled:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/default.aspx?make=Mercedes-Benz&model=E-Class#used

danbuc
10-31-06, 07:46 PM
It's the little things though. Mechanically, they aren't much trouble, but electrically....they've been known to have their problems. Granted, out of all the models they make it is one of their more reliable ones, it's still hit or miss. You may get one that never seem to have a single problem, or you may get one that in the shop 6 months out of the year for various electrical/mechanical gremlins. I'd love one for myself. I just couldn't deal with paying 45k for a car, and then having to pay $144k car maintenance prices. Granted buying an STS lets say for $15k when they went for $60k new is similar, but the cost still isn't anywhere near what it is for the Mercedes, especially the Uber fast, Uber expensive AMG models

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-06, 10:27 PM
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude ya antint never drve a ctsv likjje me ....fucjkie the 5 ctsv forvevera ctsv isuh ;lolke a boittle rocket tied fo an amry plactis solider .....****ing aaswesom,e asss car

V8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!1

xxpinballxx
11-01-06, 12:37 AM
What's the word HIT?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-06, 12:38 AM
I sure hope the person on the other end of that gun is ready!

dp102288
11-01-06, 09:30 AM
A M5 and DTS. Lucky bastard! :worship: :D