: No Heat Drivers Side

cad73
10-30-06, 07:35 PM
Hello All:
I have a 98 Catera that has had numerous issues since buying it new. The latest is no heat coming out on the drivers side. Thanks to the info I have gotten from this forum, I have decided to replace both actuators. My problem is that I have no idea where to purchase these parts or how much I can expect to spend. Also, how difficult is to replace these parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

bK caddy
10-30-06, 08:35 PM
did you check the fues because i was having the same problem

FM-IN-MI
10-31-06, 01:09 PM
Hello All:
I have a 98 Catera that has had numerous issues since buying it new. The latest is no heat coming out on the drivers side. Thanks to the info I have gotten from this forum, I have decided to replace both actuators. My problem is that I have no idea where to purchase these parts or how much I can expect to spend. Also, how difficult is to replace these parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The actuator is not hard at all, it is located very close to the gas pedal and slightly covered by the console extension. You just have to drop the 'kick/knee plate' that is below the steering wheel and you will see it. One screw was hard to get to so I cut off a very small portion of the plastic which is part of the console (can't see this as it is covered by that kick plate), I however found that mine was working fine -- I now believe the flap that it connects to has fallen off. That is going to be a nightmare to get to from what I can tell. You should make sure the actuator is bad before replacing it. I am guessing they cost between $20 and $30 each. You can go to your local Caddy dealer, get the part number and price, then go to AutoRock.com and see if they sell them for less..

Good luck

Frank in Michigan

cad73
10-31-06, 01:59 PM
did you check the fues because i was having the same problem

No I didn't...but I will before I go any further. Tks for the info...

cad73
10-31-06, 02:06 PM
Tks Frank...I'll drop the kick plate first to see if it is working before I order any parts. If its the flap, then I may just have to deal with the cold air. If I shut the dash vents on the drivers side and just use the ones on the passenger side, the car gets warm a bit but you can still feel the cold air coming out of the drivers side. Anyway....tks again for the info.

mach1456
10-31-06, 10:44 PM
Had same problem on my 97, only it was the passanger side heat not working. Does the connector rod move freely? Meaning can you move it by hand easily. If so, it has become disconnected from gear box that acuator motor is mounted to, motor is bad, or the gear on the motor has worked out to far. My motor was good and the gear on the motor had worked out to far to engage in the gear box. I took off the motor put it in a vise and pressed it back into place. This was the case with both motors. Also on one side the connecting rod had come loose, I reconnected it and both sides work great now. Hope this helps, if ya have any questions just ask.

FM-IN-MI
11-01-06, 08:07 AM
Tks Frank...I'll drop the kick plate first to see if it is working before I order any parts. If its the flap, then I may just have to deal with the cold air. If I shut the dash vents on the drivers side and just use the ones on the passenger side, the car gets warm a bit but you can still feel the cold air coming out of the drivers side. Anyway....tks again for the info.

That is what my son has been doing but now that it has gotten very cold, it is not good enough -- you still get cold air on the feet and some air out the vents, especially when you turn on the window defroster.

I read another reply about checking out the gear drive. Once you get to the actuator, start up the car and turn the temp to max, then min and watch the actuator/gear drive. There are two rods hooked up to the gear drive -- one goes up to (what I believe is) a 'flap' that controls the AC feed, the other goes horizontal to a flap that controls the heat feed. They of course work opposite of each other -- when you turn down the temp, the heater flap starts to close and the AC flap starts to open. If you can see these move, then you most likely have the same problem that we believe we have -- the horizontal rod has fallen off/broke from the heat flap.

If you do not see these rods move, remove the (2?) screws to remove ONLY THE ACTUATOR (there are also screws to remove the gear drive). Try to cycle the temp again and see if the actuator spins (it is a small 12V motor with a gear on the end). Does it move? If yes lightly hold the gear and see if it still moves. If yes, then I expect the actuator is good. Now try and move the two rods by hand (still with the actuator off). Do they move? If no, something is jammed (gear drive, flap). If yes, maybe there was a mis-match between the actuator and gear drive and it just requires an adjustment. Put it back on and try it again.

Any way, I think you get the point.

Good luck on your testing. Let me know what you find.

Frank in Michigan

cad73
11-05-06, 11:33 AM
Thanks all for you help! I'll be working on this as time permits...hopefully before it gets too cold. I'll let you all know how it works out. Thanks again!