: My friend funned up his BMW, any guesses?

90Brougham350
10-30-06, 02:40 PM
My friend has a 2005 325i. He was driving on the highway yesterday in 6th gear. He wanted to downshift to 4th to get some passing power. Instead he downshifted into 2nd and began to let the clutch out. When he saw the RPM's jump to the redline, he immediately put the clutch back in and shifted to 5th. The car had no power. He shifted carefully to 4th and the car was still losing power, and began to die. He pulled over to the side of the road and the car wouldn't start. He tried for half an hour. What could he have done?

EcSTSatic
10-30-06, 02:47 PM
Any other symptoms? Strange noises? Leaks? What does the oil look like?

Rev limiter?

Florian
10-30-06, 03:18 PM
he bought the wrong car. He likely messed up the internals. The rev limiter works on the way up and typically cant keep the inertial weight of the car in check fast enough on the way back down (downshifting) It is quite possible he tossed a rod, bent a lifter, etc.... Probably need a professional to have a look-see

F

CIWS
10-30-06, 03:25 PM
He could have lost one of the U's. From what I've seen they just don't run the same without both U's in the name B M U U (BeMdoubleU)

;) :hide:

Sorry man, wish I could be of help. Sounds like he may have a very unhappy motor from Florian's input.

Spyder
10-30-06, 05:07 PM
Heyyyy...I did the same thing with my STS, or rather a similar thing...and again, just last week, with my Chevy truck...damnitt...motors should be foolproof! :)

gothicaleigh
10-30-06, 06:44 PM
He moneyshifted it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 07:00 PM
I dunno, but its gonna be $$$$$$$$

I'm surprised he hurt an '05 model that bad...

90Brougham350
10-30-06, 07:52 PM
Yeah, it really surprised us when he called us to get an opinion. No other noises or anything, just began losing power really quickly once he shifted back out of 2nd. And of course, as Murphy's law would have it (oddly enough, his last name is Murphy) the X5 he could drive while his 325 is being fixed is currently in the shop getting a new tranny.

Krashed989
10-30-06, 07:59 PM
Does it at least turn over when he tries to start it?....... Sounds Like a disection is needed.....

danbuc
10-30-06, 08:10 PM
I doubt there's much wrong internally. Since he didn't let the clutch out fully, and kept the engine from over revving, I think a tossed rod is out of the question, especially since no loud metallic clanking/banging sounds or puddles of fluid were described. When something inside the engine let's go at high speed it tends to make some noise. I've seen a piston launch through a head, and a rod blow a hole in the oil pan of a sbc at near red line and it's not a pretty sight, or sound for that matter. Being a BMW, it could be any number of things. I suggest that he take it to a shop, and have them run it for any stored faults, and check the freeze frame data if available. See exactly what was going on when it happened.

Odin8
10-30-06, 09:50 PM
Main bearing maybe? When those go/are going it can make the engine die like that, without catastrophic flying pistons and fluids everywhere.

96Fleetwood
10-30-06, 10:22 PM
He just lost a bunch of $$$$ I made that mistake before, but luckily it was with a VW Beetle and we were able to rebuild the engine the next day!

davesdeville
10-31-06, 10:04 AM
That's pretty odd. I wouldn't think you'd lose a main from high RPM alone. And anything in the valvetrain, or a rod should make plenty of noise. Very odd indeed.

dp102288
10-31-06, 10:21 AM
Damn that sucks. Lets us know what went wrong.

Wiseguy2
10-31-06, 01:48 PM
It's called a Moneyshift. At the very least he bent a few valves. What he probably did was rev the engine to 10k or more.. valve springs can't keep up, valves get bent. I doubt he has much in the way of compression right now.

He may very well need a head. I have a BMW Shop, I see this on a regular basis. The solution is to lose the shitty stock tranny mounts. I use UUC Tranny Mount Enforcers in all of my cars that can take em...

CIWS
10-31-06, 01:55 PM
It's called a Moneyshift. At the very least he bent a few valves. What he probably did was rev the engine to 10k or more.. valve springs can't keep up, valves get bent. I doubt he has much in the way of compression right now.

He may very well need a head. I have a BMW Shop, I see this on a regular basis. The solution is to lose the shitty stock tranny mounts. I use UUC Tranny Mount Enforcers in all of my cars that can take em...

Is this the kind of thing BMW would warranty cover, or would they see the symptoms and blame the owner for "abuse" and deny any coverage ?

90Brougham350
10-31-06, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure, but I know he beats the absolute hell out of his vehicles and always tells us "its under warranty, it's cool."

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-06, 10:48 PM
Could The Ecui Go Into Limp Mode Restrickin Power Till Facoptry Restes Ecu ?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-06, 11:17 PM
I was wondering the same too, possible "Limp Home Mode"

Night Wolf
10-31-06, 11:17 PM
Could The Ecui Go Into Limp Mode Restrickin Power Till Facoptry Restes Ecu ?

LOL!

I remember when Chris first got his '94 Jetta 2.0 5spd... accelerating WOT in 3rd... then to 4th... except it was 2nd.... I saw the tach get pegged beyond redline (like 7 or 8,000.... and way past "redline") then the tach stopped moving, but the engine kept racing up..... it was that bad.... no engine damage, those VW 2.0's are tough little engines... tho a few days later the water pump did go out.

I've made that goof int he Isuzu when I first got it.... tho it was really noticable, and I never let the clutch all the way out, RPM didn't get too high... that little (big?) 4cyl truck engine redlines at 6,000RPM tho... kinda fun... tho by 5,500RPM there is no more power to be had.... still fun to row thru the gears... tho the truck transmission dosn't like to move as fast as the smooth shifting VW tranny (especially the '01 Jetta 1.8T) and it lets me know when I start getting spirited.... ah well, its all fun :).

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-06, 11:20 PM
WE BUILT A race prep YTDI JETTA once , that car was awesome ...........i miss iut

Zorb750
10-31-06, 11:25 PM
That's a DOHC inline 6 cylinder. I'm guessing as others have mentioned, valve float leading to bent valves. BMW straight 6's are essentially indestructible at the bottom end, and usually fairly tolerant of overrevving.

A rev limited does nothing at all if an engine's being dragged to a higher RPM by the weight of the car, and not being run (via fuel) to that RPM deliberately.

Tell him to do compression tests on it.

As for his X5, when he gets it back, borrow it and then run him over with it.

X5s use either a GM 5L40E automatic (6 cylinder) or ZF 5HP24 automatic (8 cylinder), both of which are very durable (moreso the ZF though)... BMW won't even let you neutral drop the car very hard, as it physically obstructs the shift lever if the engine RPM is over 2000 or 2500.

I have no tolerance for people who go out of their way to abuse cars for no reason.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-31-06, 11:31 PM
I have no tolerance for people who go out of their way to abuse cars for no reason.

Same here. One of my biggest pet peeves. And this guy does it on cars covered by warranty, which means he'll probably trade them in when the warranty expires so someone else will have to deal with it. Anyways, I hope the dealer that pulls the motor apart denies the warranty claim because of his stupidity!

Night Wolf
10-31-06, 11:35 PM
WE BUILT A race prep YTDI JETTA once , that car was awesome ...........i miss iut

The TDI has made its way into the race scene?...heh...

I've always liked that engine.... VW can beat Toyota at their own game.... and have a car that has more power, and gets better mileage to boot.... all without batteries or electric motors driving the car.... plus they are atleast good looking cars.

If I had to travel alot, I woudln't mind a ~'02 Jetta TDI 5spd.... I really like my friends (1.8T)... I like the styling outside, its black... and has a nice tan interior... nice layout and awesome gauges.... I really enjoy driving that ar too... I guess thats what they call the European feel? I dunno, but I like it.... and surprisingly, those little VW are quite safe in accidents too.

Night Wolf
10-31-06, 11:37 PM
Same here. One of my biggest pet peeves. And this guy does it on cars covered by warranty, which means he'll probably trade them in when the warranty expires so someone else will have to deal with it. Anyways, I hope the dealer that pulls the motor apart denies the warranty claim because of his stupidity!

Don't buy a lease car... its like a rental... just by the same owner for 3 years.

My fathers '99 GP GTP was a lease... 36k miles or so (now has almost 100k ontop of that) He's had alot of issues tho, alot of which I think are from previous abuse.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-31-06, 11:47 PM
ours was a 98 jetta (thebn brand new) , we had to ordweer pasrts from germanty to build it whgere jettas diesel were raced haveily

RobertCTS
11-01-06, 05:59 AM
Hey, it coulda been worse! Here's what you can expect from a BMW.:tisk:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/bmw5.jpg

dp102288
11-01-06, 09:50 AM
^^ Nice pic!! Damn.

AirJigga25
11-01-06, 10:23 AM
Hey, it coulda been worse! Here's what you can expect from a BMW.:tisk:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BobsWork/bmw5.jpg

6 months ago i saw a fairly new audi on fire like that on the highway. The flames were 30 feet high and then died down, everything melting, it was amazing. I had to drive by and some glass exploded from the heat and it hit my car. I'm not too big on Audis.

Zorb750
11-01-06, 12:26 PM
Don't buy a lease car... its like a rental... just by the same owner for 3 years.

My fathers '99 GP GTP was a lease... 36k miles or so (now has almost 100k ontop of that) He's had alot of issues tho, alot of which I think are from previous abuse.

I know someone locally who had a Grand Prix GTP 2Dr, I believe a 2000, that he did a fair level of modification to, new supercharger (with smaller pulley), computer stuff, lots of things. He was running mid and then later low-13/high-12 second quarter miles out of it.

It too was a lease car!

He just put everything back to stock before he sent it in, except for a brand new stock supercharger, as he blew up his original.

90Brougham350
11-01-06, 02:48 PM
Well, we're still waiting on the diagnosis, hopefully we'll find out today.

dp102288
11-02-06, 10:36 AM
What's the diagnosis?