: Own a V8 2004, buying an '07 V8

nassaublvd
10-30-06, 11:59 AM
I currently own a 2004 SRX V8, which is due to be turned in March. Although I love this car, I decided to comparison shop for its replacement, which I really enjopy doing. No vehicle that is available anywhere near its price range even comes close.

I test drove the Infiniti M35X, as my wife was interested in sedans. Let's just say the total cost to own for three years was higher, the ride was far less sporty, and as for utility, need I go there?

Next came the Audi Q7. This car in V6 form (which is what you have to look at if you are comparing similar cost of ownership to a v8 SRX) is a joke. It accelerates like a school bus. The seats are too firm. Where are all the storage compartments that I am used to in my SRX? Ford Explorer V-8's will leave this thing in the dust. As for the Audi V-8's, I can buy a Benz GL (or Caddy ESV) for the price, both of which are far better executed vehicles. However, the cost of ownership for three years is north of $35K, while the cost of my SRX V-8 is sitting at around $22K. Not even close.

I decided to have some fun. I left the luxury genre and took a look a the Toyota FJ cruiser. I know, not in the same category. But the SRX is my fun car, so I decided to just take a looksy at the fun to play with FJ. Get this- the cost to drive for 3 years was close to $19K. $1K per year difference from the SRX V-8. That is just a joke that I laugh at whenever I see one on the road.

Then I drove over to Jeep. The Jeep Commander is the worst executed vehicle I've ever driven. With the third row up, you can't see out the back. The HEMI is no match for the Northstar. There is no room in the second row. I took a U-turn at low speed and thought it might flip. I hit a U-turn in my SRX at 3X that speed and then hit the gas once my nose is pointing the right direction and am above legal speed so fast that even fast approaching cars dissapear in the rear view-

Funny story- on the way home from jeep I felt so good about my 2004 SRX that I raced an A-4. I beat him from stand still to 80 mph at two separate lights. After 80 at the second light he took off. I like to drive fast, but I have my limits. I manually shifted, held the revs and smoked the A-4 to 80 both times.

Summary of other comparo's- VOVLO XC90, just downright boring in comparison. I owned a 2001 BMW and the ownership experience at the dealer was so bad, I would never buy another. The MDX is a mommy mobile and even the 300HP V6 can't change that image. Drive behind an MDX and take a good look. Now drive behing an SRX V-8. Come on. Not even freaking close.

What is left? Take a GX470 on the highway, get it up over 70 and try to make few sports car like maneuvers. Not so much fun. What's up with the third row seats hanging from the side of the car anyway?:confused:

Ok, I'm going to stop here. Know that I vistited and left my name with about 9 dealers. Only Cadillac followed up with phone calls, letters and showed an appreciation for the fact that I took the time out of my life to visit their dealer. That is why I will again take the money out of my pocket and give it to Cadillac.

Also, have you seen the new interior in person? It is to die for. There is nothing like it in any SUV at any price by any manufacturer.:bouncy:

john d
10-30-06, 12:16 PM
Cadillac needs to feature you in their ads.
Great information!

beekay
10-30-06, 12:48 PM
Check out the audi Avants. the q7 charges a premium, no doubt. it would have been worth while to hear your opinion of the V8 Q7 vs the SRX.

It sounds like you and I feel similar about the search for the perfect sports wagon (cross over, whatever>>)

I am really aiming to go back to an Audi Avant, should my lease negotiations fail to deliver. I looked at the Q7, but for the money, no freakin way. allroads, or the A6/S6 are of interest.
I drive an a4 1.8tqms (turbo, quattro, manual) its peppy, with a chip, its very peppy, for a 1.8 liter) i race our SRX and the A4 will pull away out of second.
my former Audi (allroads) was a favorite, but no 3rd row. i used to really need it, but not as much now as before.

SRX still reigns supreme!
bk

nassaublvd
10-30-06, 12:54 PM
If anyone from GM is reading, I would love to be in an ad for the SRX, in exchange for a few nice incentives on my '07.

My ad idea-
Show me getting out of a Jeep Commander (after staring at the non-existent rear window with the third row up) with a confused look and wondering aloud how anyone can drive a "family friendly" car without a back window. Then I should get in my SRX, hammer the accelerator, and recreate the scene of me smoking an A-4 to 80 mph. We can then pan to some moron trying to keep up in a Q-7 that gets left in the dust and then show a bowteyed conservative driver of a GX-470 bouncing all over the road while its driver is trying to get a decent look at the new SRX's awe inspiring hand sewn dash. Next, I should switch lanes and pass a bunch of moms driving their kids around in Vovlos and Acuras. All the while I should of course be driving around with 6 hot models, whering nothing but American Flag String Bikinis.

God bless America. Rick Wagoner, are you listening????

nassaublvd
10-30-06, 01:04 PM
Regarding the Audi A-6 Avant-

the Bimmer I owned was a 325XI Wagon. While I enjoyed the handling characteristics of the german wagon, for comfort and utility, I find the euro wagons can't match the SRX. If I was on some back road twisties, I admit an Avant or Bimmer wagon may have the momentary advantage; but I rarely get to drive back road mountain passes with extensive S-curves.

I have spent a significant amount of time in my brother's 2.7 turbo A-6 (not the Avant)- beautiful car, but I have to say, the seats and utility cannot match the SRX.

Also- I need the third row. I have three kids and this SRX is often my car of choice, even though it lacks the pure utility of my Honda Odyssey.
The kids love to get in daddy's car as well. It is a treat for us all.

ckrichards
10-30-06, 03:36 PM
The Acura MDX and the BMW X5 have both been updated with a 3rd row. The length in both has been extended to make room for the 3rd row. Will be interesting to see how they stack up against the SRX. Interesting to note the BMW X5 isn't even comparing itself to the SRX. I still receive Roundel (BMW Car Club) magazine and the SRX isn't perceived as a threat to the X5.

TSS
10-30-06, 03:51 PM
One of my partners has a 4.4 X-5 (2004). It has many shortcomings and the back seat is very small and uncomfortable. It is not better in any way than my SRX w/ MRC.

Smokin' SRX
10-31-06, 08:22 PM
One of my partners has a 4.4 X-5 (2004). It has many shortcomings and the back seat is very small and uncomfortable. It is not better in any way than my SRX w/ MRC.

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO, and DITTO! The SRX holds it's own against any reasonable match! The N* is awesome! And no one beats the looks!! So many people stare and ask what brand it is at stop lites (can't see Caddy badge in front/rear, when alongside, or don't know a Caddy badge! lot's of Gen X'ers out there!) So I ordered 2 sets of crest/wreath from a 2004 DTS trunk and stuck them (self adhesive tape included) on the lower, front door panels! They are about 3" in diameter. About same as rear SRX wreath/crest, but flatter. Some may remember, or recently again, see, the Chevy "SS" emblem on the front doors of Trailblazers, Monte- Carlos, etc.! Same idea! looks awesome. Camera is out of order-sorry.
Cost was $80. from Caddy, for the whole deal....... 2, 2 piece sets.:bouncy: