: Red's Gone.....

thebigjimsho
10-28-06, 11:22 PM
Probably the greatest man in NBA history is gone. In Boston, we love our Red Sox and most of us love the Patriots. But most true Boston sports fans got our pride from the Celtics. And we lost the man who made the Celtics.

Good bye Red Auerbach.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/10/28/obit.auerbach.ap/index.html

Florian
10-29-06, 01:35 AM
did they bury him in a cigar box? That guy always had cigars.

F

dp102288
10-29-06, 07:32 AM
Damn. I have a friend who love the Celtics, and he mentioned him once. I may have been drunk so I don't remember though.

Condonlences to the people who loved him.

Elvis
10-29-06, 08:40 AM
Red IS basketball. Nobody comes close in any sport. The greatest coach/GM in all of professional sports history.

I'd rank the Celtics 2nd overall as the greatest sports franchise ever, behind the Yankees. The difference is that Red built the Celtics dynasties all by himself. The Yankees have had three or four men run the organization over the years.

nyyankeehater
10-29-06, 08:20 PM
The man was and always will be a legend. When I was in college during the days of Bird, Robert, Kevin, DJ, Danny & ML... I was taking a Public Speaking class pass-fail. We had to do a tribute speech to someone. I chose Red. At the end of the speech I pulled out a cigar, lit it up, then pulled a Budweiser out of my backpack ending the speech with “Red, for all you do, this Bud’s for you” and downed it. I actually got an A on that one… thought for sure I would get nailed for the beer.

He represents most (he has some skeletons) of what was good in the NBA, most of which is long gone in today’s game. I miss those days. I will miss Red. The Celtics have said they will dedicate this season to him. I wish I could say I was excited about the prospect, but it will probably be cheap and meaningless as that is how today’s NBA is. He was a winner and a cocky SOB. Time to crack a Bud and light one up.