: The last Taurus.

Jesda
10-27-06, 09:31 AM
Yep, the last Taurus rolls off the line today, and no one cares. I guess its noteworthy because it was once the great American hope for modern passenger cars, then Ford went and ruined it in 1996.

The resale is awful, making them potentially good buys for winter beaters.

Blackout
10-27-06, 10:20 AM
supposedly the CEO of Chick-Fil-A is looking to get the last Taurus. Supposedly when he first started the company it was right across the street from the plant where the Taurus was made and he said he owes his success of his company to that plant and is trying to find a way to get that last Taurus

90Brougham350
10-27-06, 10:26 AM
What a car the Taurus was! Quite a marvel in '86 I'd say, but Jesda nailed it. They ruined it in '96 with the bubble windows.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-27-06, 10:43 AM
i lived in atlanta for 6 months becuse of the tarus. The light redesgin of the taurus caused problems with the weather stripping. At the time my grandfather was a supervisor at the plant that produced the weather stripping in indiana (gencorp). So gencorp sent me , my gandfather and my grandmother all expenses paid to the plant in atlanta so he could fix what went wrong. Hed would later buy one of the very taruses that he worked on that year (this one was a 93) .

i heard the chickfil a deal ....itll prolly work out , i still cant belive GM allowed the last camaro to go into private hands ....so id imagine the taurus will too ....

EcSTSatic
10-27-06, 10:47 AM
No more bull http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/taurus3.gif

I always wanted a SHO Taurus but limited production cars scare me in terms of maintenance and parts availability.

Jesda
10-27-06, 10:48 AM
Sucks for them when they discover that wasnt the last Camaro. NEENER!

Stoneage_Caddy
10-27-06, 10:49 AM
damn right LOL .....yeah the new ones gonna be one bad ass mo fo .....

suck my wake pony bitch !!!!

thydarkprevails
10-27-06, 07:52 PM
No more bull http://www.novareinna.com/constellation/taurus3.gif

I always wanted a SHO Taurus but limited production cars scare me in terms of maintenance and parts availability.

i never liked working on those yamahammammas

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-27-06, 08:09 PM
I'd love a 92-95 SHO, but as for Tauruses in general......what was I saying again?

The 86 Taurus was really ahead of it's time. Great car. Tauruses always got rave reviews in the '90s too, but when the '96 came out it was like ...WHY.... I can remember my dad saying how ugly those were back when they came out in late '95..I was 8 years old at the time.

Oh yeah, we actually had an '89 LX wagon back from about '91 to '94. My dad hated that car soo much. Never had a more unreliable car, and we never even had a problem with that 3.8!!! (oddly enough) It was a nice looking car though, navy blue with navy blue leather and those hot faux wire wheels.

gary88
10-27-06, 08:28 PM
I think it's safe to assume this is the ugliest center console ever made

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/b6/d6/09_12.JPG

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-27-06, 08:33 PM
My friend had a '93 Taurus GL sedan with that 3.0 V6...man we had a lot of good times in that car. Who would have thought that a Taurus could do a good shitty at 35MPH!!!

AlBundy
10-27-06, 09:36 PM
I always though they were very ugly cars. What amazed me was that there were so many driving around. Everywhere you looked there was a fugly taurus.

EDBSO
10-27-06, 11:15 PM
The 89 SHO was the lightest and fastest.

I had one with a K&N CAI, deleted cats, custom Y pipe, turbo exhaust, custom throttle body, the car was wickedly fast. It could keep up with the GNX.

Sold it to the insurance company due to a hit and run. Handling sucked and brakes were bad even with cross drilled rotors and carbon fibre pads.

PS: it was faster put of the box than the Cadillac.

Night Wolf
10-28-06, 02:12 AM
I remember watching the X-files when Scully? had his red Taurus and there was that alien guy in the car... I was a kid at the time and thought the car looked really cool.

My drivers ed car was a '97 Taurus, just like the one in x-files, but white..... what a POS, that car was seriosuly not cool... the interior felt cheaper then that of my Isuzu, and it was a horrible driving car... totally killed my mind on ever having one.

davesdeville
10-28-06, 09:26 AM
I like all the SHOs. The regular Tauruses I consider transportation-appliances, like Hondas and Toyotas.

The 89 SHO was the lightest and fastest.

I had one with a K&N CAI, deleted cats, custom Y pipe, turbo exhaust, custom throttle body, the car was wickedly fast. It could keep up with the GNX.

Sold it to the insurance company due to a hit and run. Handling sucked and brakes were bad even with cross drilled rotors and carbon fibre pads.

PS: it was faster put of the box than the Cadillac.

So an Intake/Exhaust SHO runs a 13 now? :rolleyes: They're quick, but unless "custom throttle body" means "blower" that was a mid 14 car.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-28-06, 10:29 AM
I'd love to run a 3.2 SHO against any N* on a 60-100 run! That would be close!

dp102288
10-28-06, 10:45 AM
Robocop's Taurus was cool!

Yep, the last Taurus rolls off the line today, and no one cares

Its mean but true. :D

Blackout
10-28-06, 11:21 AM
I'd love to run a 3.2 SHO against any N* on a 60-100 run! That would be close!I wouldn't mind having a 2nd gen SHO or a 1st gen SHO with a engine swap for the 3.2 V6 since you couldn't get it with a stick shift. I miss my 1991 SHO+ :crybaby:

Jesda
10-29-06, 12:53 AM
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7292

Jesda
10-29-06, 01:38 AM
GREATEST
TAURUS
EVER

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/novelties/sho-on-the-block-conan-gets-his-taurus-appraised-208020.php

davesdeville
10-29-06, 05:06 AM
Haha yeah, Conan's SHO is a beast.

I think it would take an MTX SHO with a 3.2 swap to keep up with a N*.

JRau
10-29-06, 07:28 AM
I hope Ford has a car that replaces the Taurus that will be as popular. They need something to change their luck right now. The 500 and Fusion don't seem to be selling like the Taurus did during it's first few years. Even though I'm an "old school" Cadillac lover, I am a big Ford fan. I'd hate to see Ford die off. :crying:

JRau

dp102288
10-29-06, 09:16 AM
The Conan vid was excellent!!!

See, his Taurus came with the cup holder! :histeric:

Slywun
10-29-06, 09:41 AM
Not sure if it is just me but I suspect Buick bought out Ford for the design of the 2nd gen Taurus.....

dp102288
10-30-06, 10:53 AM
^^ Ewww. He's right!

Jesda
10-30-06, 11:05 AM
Lacrosse just lost 1000 cool points it never originally had.

Slywun
10-30-06, 11:09 AM
Lacrosse just lost 1000 cool points it never originally had.
:histeric:

RobertCTS
10-30-06, 11:10 AM
Don't you think we as buyers determine the design and market for the automobile? Detroit picks up pretty quick when the public isn't buying there stuff. Beside Ford doesn't have two nickels to rubb together right now and must dump their losers.

JCM1
10-30-06, 11:38 AM
I hope Ford has a car that replaces the Taurus that will be as popular. They need something to change their luck right now. The 500 and Fusion don't seem to be selling like the Taurus did during it's first few years. Even though I'm an "old school" Cadillac lover, I am a big Ford fan. I'd hate to see Ford die off. :crying:

JRau

I agree Ford needs another mid-sized car. The Taurus and Sable were great everyday cars. You could get some toys with them like automatic climate control, leather, power accesories, etc. Certainly not a luxury car but you got a nice car for the money. The Fusion is too small and strange looking to appeal to the more conservative buyer and the 500 is way to damn slow. I am also dissapointed with where Lincoln is heading. Why is 'Mark' a truck and why are they going to get rid of the Town Car in favor of a 500 based front drive shitbox? I like the new Navigators though, both the interior and exterior have a nice, classy look. I hope Ford can figure something out and pull itself out of this hole it's in. I have had a few Ford products and most I've liked. I currently have a 2005 Explorer and I really like. I have looked at the new Explorers and I am disappointed. They look very cheap inside, crappy materials, lots of hard plastic. :(

Jesda
10-30-06, 11:48 AM
The Fusion is pretty darn cool looking. Never driven one, but if its based on a Mazda 6, I'm optimistic.

JRau
10-30-06, 07:57 PM
I agree Ford needs another mid-sized car. The Taurus and Sable were great everyday cars. You could get some toys with them like automatic climate control, leather, power accesories, etc. Certainly not a luxury car but you got a nice car for the money. The Fusion is too small and strange looking to appeal to the more conservative buyer and the 500 is way to damn slow. I am also dissapointed with where Lincoln is heading. Why is 'Mark' a truck and why are they going to get rid of the Town Car in favor of a 500 based front drive shitbox? I like the new Navigators though, both the interior and exterior have a nice, classy look. I hope Ford can figure something out and pull itself out of this hole it's in. I have had a few Ford products and most I've liked. I currently have a 2005 Explorer and I really like. I have looked at the new Explorers and I am disappointed. They look very cheap inside, crappy materials, lots of hard plastic. :(

With all the retro craze happenin' in the auto world, maybe Ford should re-invent the Fairlane or Torino. Would you like the 500 if that referred to its' horsepower? That would be alright with me. I will miss the Town Car--although I won't miss the new generation round shape. I had a '79 Town Coupe with those gorgeous deep dish aluminum wheels--geesh I loved that car. :cloud9:
The '84 - '89's were a nice car, too. Oh well, time will tell.

JRau in central Iowa

JRau
10-30-06, 08:05 PM
The Fusion is pretty darn cool looking. Never driven one, but if its based on a Mazda 6, I'm optimistic.

Jesda,

So sorry to hear about St. Louis being named most dangerous city. I read your other thread, and I agree, you gotta watch those country club folk--they form gangs of four (called foursomes) and they beat the hell out of small innocent inanimate round objects for hours on end, in all kinds of weather. Where's PETA when you need 'em? Such brutality! :rolleyes:

Congrats on the Cardinals, though!

I'm not sure I care for the looks of the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr, but whatever, Ford needs to start sellin' some cars. I was hopin' Mustang would light the fire, but it ain't happenin' yet.

JRau in central Iowa.

JCM1
10-30-06, 10:37 PM
"Would you like the 500 if that referred to its' horsepower?"

That would be one hell of a sleeper, especially if it was the all wheel drive version. Yeah, in that case, I'd seriously look at it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-06, 10:39 PM
I thought Ford did a concept where they put a 500hp V8 into the 500...

Jesda, god that video of Conan's SHO was hilarious! I showed that to all my buddies this weekend when I was up in Duluth. We all laughed so hard at that part where he got it jumpstarted from that classic Ferrari!!

Blackout
10-31-06, 06:18 AM
Ford donated to a tech school a Ford 500 and a Ford GT motor and they put the GT motor in the 500 and made it look kinda like a rally car. I posted it up on here awhile ago.

dp102288
10-31-06, 11:04 AM
I tried to drive a friends Taurus once...got nauseous and had to pull over. I think it was from the car. Never drive one again.