: Low Beam Adjustment?

peterd
10-27-06, 12:45 AM
I have a 2004 rwd v8 srx that is allot of fun to drive. But at night my low beams only light up about 30 ft ahead of the car. On a winedy hiway, I'm constantly switching my hi beams on and off switch sucks. The low beam light up less than half the distance that my last car did. Is there a way to adjust the low beams? My last car was easy, just needed a phillips screwdriver. :confused:

ewill3rd
10-27-06, 07:37 AM
The short answer is no.
Aiming most headlamps today requires a "screen" that is marked or special machines to identify where the lamps are aimed.
I have seen a few SRXes that had the lamps not aimed properly, some of them have seen some accident repairs, some had not.
There is only one adjustment on them, to vertically adjust them you turn a screw but be aware that just turning it and seeing if it's better is not really a good idea.
In VA the state requires they be within certain tolerances and I have to use a special computerized machine to see if they are aimed properly for state inspection. Cranking the lights up may actually degrade the performance of the lighting anyway. If the lights are properly aimed then you shouldn't have any problems.
Make sure your dealer has the necessary equipment to aim the lamps and complain to them that you think they are not aligned properly.
To horizontally aim them requires removing some body parts and adjusting the mounts, they don't give us a screw to adjust them with like they have in the past.

sgilbert
10-27-06, 10:41 AM
I was under the impression that the HID lamps were "self adjusting", but I've never seen mine do so.

peterd
10-27-06, 07:46 PM
I'll take it to the dealer and see what can be done. Thanks for the quick reply.

ewill3rd
10-28-06, 07:23 AM
Some HID lamps can autmatically adjust left and right during turning maneuvers, I don't think SRX has that option.

If it does the lamps will move left and right to initialize when the car is started and the lights are on.
I read some stuff on that system a while ago but I forget how many degrees horizontal they can move. I don't think that's an option on SRX.
The base mechanical aiming procedure still needs to be done, their movement is based on them being properly set in the straight ahead position.

krug300
11-01-06, 05:00 AM
Only the SRX's destined for export (Europe at least) have self adjusting headlights (what's their use in a car with self levelling rear suspension is another issue....). U.S. market cars have adjustment points on top of each front unit. There is a white funnel like adjusting point where a long allen wrench will fit. Turn left or right to adjust the level of each beam.

TSS
11-01-06, 08:52 AM
Dealer adjusted mine under warrantee - no problems. I don't know (and don't care) how they did it!

peterd
11-03-06, 01:31 PM
After talking to my local dealer and being told that they were very busy and I could bring my car in two weeks. I took another look under the hood as Krug300 suggested. It took me 2 minutes to find the adjustment bolt and a minute to adjust both beams by aiming them against the wall. Thanks to all of you I don't have to wait 2 weeks. Be careful not to raise the low beams too much so they act as hi beams.http://www.UploadYourImages.com/thumb/643288beam.jpg (http://www.UploadYourImages.com/view/643288beam.jpg):thumbsup:

sgilbert
11-03-06, 02:24 PM
Try reducing your picture to a viewable size!